With the crabbing season on the way SA Fisheries are reminding anglers to make sure they're familiar with the State's bag limits before dropping their nets or pulling out their rakes.
The basics to be aware of are:
- Daily bag limit of 40 per person (combined limits with sand crabs)
- Daily boat limit of 120 (combined limits with sand crabs)
- Minimum size limit of 11cm width (measured across the carapace from the base of the largest spines)
- Illegal to take female crabs with eggs / berries. They must be returned to the water straight away without harm.
- Recreational crab fishers are not allowed to sell or trade their catch.
Fisheries has produced a video showing the correct way to measure different fish species, including blue swimmer crabs. You can check this out by clicking here
Posted 16 September 2010