2014 RED BULL LIGHTHOUSE TO LEIGHTON

Created by L2L > 9 months ago, 26 Sep 2014
pilotpete
WA, 147 posts
30 Nov 2014 8:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
INTHELOOP said..
forecast indicating 15-17knts for the race. Should be fast. Anybody been out to Rotto? whats the weed situation? www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp

Marv its all weed free this year be easy for you LOL

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
30 Nov 2014 10:19AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
pilotpete said..
INTHELOOP said..
forecast indicating 15-17knts for the race. Should be fast. Anybody been out to Rotto? whats the weed situation? www.seabreeze.com.au/graphs/wa.asp

I did a sup race across yesterday but it was to Sorrento, quite a bit of the ribbon type weed.
It will make the decision hard, to foil or not to foil is no doubt the question, guess wind strength will be the deciding factor.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
30 Nov 2014 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

YES, YES, YES!

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
30 Nov 2014 8:20PM
Thumbs Up

No, no, no, I owe a carton if it gets 25knts

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
30 Nov 2014 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

That will be fat yak too Cauncy,

thats ok, we can share it after the race!

L2L
WA, 195 posts
1 Dec 2014 9:01AM
Thumbs Up

Fashions on the field… L2L 2014 OK, the new Lycras for 2014 are released and looking great, as modelled by Tim and Dave! ...

The real purpose of this shot is to show competitors the secret pocket (machined inside the lycra) where you can store the two (supplied) flares for every competitor. If you look closely, under the 0 you can just see the flare pocket. We tested them yesterday, they dont fall out (!) and are easy to access. Brilliant!

SugarQube
WA, 490 posts
1 Dec 2014 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
L2L said..
Fashions on the field… L2L 2014 OK, the new Lycras for 2014 are released and looking great, as modelled by Tim and Dave! ...

The real purpose of this shot is to show competitors the secret pocket (machined inside the lycra) where you can store the two (supplied) flares for every competitor. If you look closely, under the 0 you can just see the flare pocket. We tested them yesterday, they dont fall out (!) and are easy to access. Brilliant!

Wheres the pocket for the tinnys and my hamburger Tim ???

at least one cup holder would have been nice, its along way across you know

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
1 Dec 2014 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Underoath said...
That will be fat yak too Cauncy,

thats ok, we can share it after the race!

Sorry to say it's not my thing, so won't be there, however I'll gladly honour the bet , and if 25knt a carton of Matilda bay fat yak is yours, not a bad drop, you've got taste,

patto1987
NSW, 194 posts
1 Dec 2014 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
tightlines said...
pilotpete said..
INTHELOOP said..

I did a sup race across yesterday but it was to Sorrento, quite a bit of the ribbon type weed.
It will make the decision hard, to foil or not to foil is no doubt the question, guess wind strength will be the deciding factor.

What are the chances of getting a weed update on Thursday?

registeringisga
6 posts
2 Dec 2014 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

Should be fine, few kgs headed over from Sydney. Hopefully there is no mix up and it ends up in Bali again.

JohnnoKeys
WA, 551 posts
2 Dec 2014 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Looking like classic all time L2L conditions for saturdays race - I reckon its going to be the real deal this year with winds 16/22 knots and HARSH swell & chop out there in the deep blue Indian Ocean.

Good luck to all riders.

LostDog
WA, 445 posts
2 Dec 2014 9:37AM
Thumbs Up

Received Tags in the mail yesterday, but no board stickers - what's the go this year, are they not required?

L2L
WA, 195 posts
2 Dec 2014 9:51AM
Thumbs Up

Nope. No board stickers. not required, they added no real value!

dalestanton
WA, 272 posts
2 Dec 2014 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

Epic conditions forecast!! good luck to everyone, it's going to be an awesome sunny windy day.

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
2 Dec 2014 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dalestanton said..
Epic conditions forecast!! good luck to everyone, it's going to be an awesome sunny windy day.

SO PUMPED MATE! BEST KITE EVENT AND LOOK AT THIS FORECAST. THE DOC IS REALLY TURNING IT ON THIS YEAR!

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
3 Dec 2014 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

fark those rashies are epic tim. Best ones yet .

Sucks i am stuck in sydney on the weekend

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
3 Dec 2014 11:00AM
Thumbs Up

Good luck to everyone!
I am a first timer and will be at the back in weekend warrior class riding a twintip, just enjoying the chance to do the crossing under organised conditions.
There's not too many events in the world where the likes of an average Joe like me can rub shoulders with some of the best in the world. Well, that is at least until they disappear out in front towards Leighton at Mach 5.....
Really looking forward to the day, forecast looks sweet, and the whole show seems well organised.
Great job so far guys and here's to a safe race

Ps:Anyone know why they have the wetsuit rule?

Simon

Ben - Ikon
WA, 113 posts
3 Dec 2014 1:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Simon,

The wetsuit rule might be for safety reason.

If you crash and cannot relaunch or if the wind dies for any reasons, it might takes time for the rescue boats to come and get you. Your body temperature drops quickly when you stay still in the water. Having a wetsuit keeps your temperature high enough to wait for the rescue boat.

I remember doing a race in France where the wind dropped 2 km off shore. 150 racers waiting in the water with their kites. It took more than 1 hour for the 5 rescue boats to pickup everyone.

In this circumstance, go as quick as you can to the kite by pulling one front line only, then when you hold your kite safely, pack your lines as good as you can and wait on your kite for the safety boat to rescue you.

It should not happen, but always good to be prepared.

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
3 Dec 2014 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Boon, sounds like a fair call.
Let's hope the wind matches the forecast. Don't fancy floating around in Gage Roads waiting to attract the attention of old mate Whitey.

Dawn Patrol
WA, 1991 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:08PM
Thumbs Up

Is the wetsuit thing an actual rule? I had a look and couldn't see it stated. Was just going to go boardies but would rather not be unpleasently suprised on the day..

Edit. Never mind just found it.

Underoath
QLD, 2429 posts
3 Dec 2014 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Currently hitting 7 knots over today's forecasted expected max of16 knots. Could be sign of things to come Saturday.

Would hate to be stuck in Gage Road on a 15m.

cauncy
WA, 8407 posts
3 Dec 2014 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
simstat said..
Good luck to everyone!
I am a first timer and will be at the back in weekend warrior class riding a twintip, just enjoying the chance to do the crossing under organised conditions.
There's not too many events in the world where the likes of an average Joe like me can rub shoulders with some of the best in the world. Well, that is at least until they disappear out in front towards Leighton at Mach 5.....
Really looking forward to the day, forecast looks sweet, and the whole show seems well organised.

Simon

apparently its to make you look more seal like, speeding up your disposal to natures predators, thus saving time for the safety boat, after all its a red bull event,

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
3 Dec 2014 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cauncy said...
simstat said..
Good luck to everyone!

Simon

apparently its to make you look more seal like, speeding up your disposal to natures predators, thus saving time for the safety boat, after all its a red bull event,

It would be like sushi train with kites for napkins.

JimJones
QLD, 236 posts
4 Dec 2014 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

Hmmmm, I'm packing a 12m and a Zephyr, but looking like 12m for me in the TT class.... how about you guys?

Simsurf
WA, 237 posts
3 Dec 2014 11:02PM
Thumbs Up

Today was forecast to be 15kn at 2:00pm. It was actually 20-gusting 25kn at Rotto at 2:00pm today. Will make kite choice on Friday morning. 17+12 or 12+9??????

Edit:20-25 at 2:30pm at Rotto today.

daddycool
WA, 337 posts
4 Dec 2014 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

A lot of clouds around yesterday - gusty - felt more like a front than a doctor. leaning towards and 11 - 13 combo on a mako king or Dundee TT

L2L
WA, 195 posts
4 Dec 2014 9:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
simstat said..
Good luck to everyone!

Simon

Ps:Anyone know why they have the wetsuit rule? Two words: Your safety (!) ...

EQUIPMENT AND MEASUREMENT CHECKS All competitors must wear some element of a wetsuit (with a minimum of a wetsuit vest or shorts) and a suitable PFD (supplied by the competitor) and will be required to carry two flares, supplied by the organisers and is to be used only in an emergency to signal that a rescue is required. The two flares are to be returned when landed at Leighton Beach. If the two flares are not returned $30 per flare will be charged and/ or the RACER T Shirt forfeited. If a Competitor uses the flares in an emergency there is no charge or fee – use the flare if you need a rescue.

L2L
WA, 195 posts
4 Dec 2014 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

After Party… See below. Each Competitor and Volunteer is welcome to bring one to two guests.

The After Party is a private party open to those people closely associated with the race.

See you there!

L2L
WA, 195 posts
4 Dec 2014 10:29AM
Thumbs Up

Who is in the 2014 Red Bull Lighthouse to Leighton?!

Male Racers, below:

Female Racers, below:

Channel9Perth
2 posts
4 Dec 2014 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi everybody,

Nine News Perth is hoping to get in touch with someone that will be wearing a GO PRO on themselves whilst competing in Saturday's Lighthouse to Leighton.

Nine News is a major sponsor of the event and will have a chopper capturing footage from above as well as live crosses on the day so to add to the story it would be great if we could speak to someone that would be willing to share their footage with our team on the day. We would need you to be available asap after the race to quickly downloaded and send the file to the newsroom for inclusion in that nights news.

We are obviously a little tight for time on this so if anyone is interested could you please get in touch with myself as soon as you can.

Look forward to making this happen and all the best to you all!

Thanks,

Corey

Corey Triffett
0401 818 712
ctriffett@nine.com.au

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"2014 RED BULL LIGHTHOUSE TO LEIGHTON" started by L2L