Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

2012 BWS Noise vs 2012 North Rebel

Created by Snowy > 9 months ago, 18 Jan 2012
mywisdom
WA, 258 posts
26 Feb 2012 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

bar grip has deteriorated and rust traces are present inside emergency release on every 2012 i have seen 10 sessions or older.. iv seen two brand new safety leashes bend on the hook under flag out (one on suicide so fair enough).... is that good? The design and practicality of the bar is near on perfect but quality has well slipped this year over previous..

disclaimer: i pay top dollar for my kites brand new and have owned 7 north kites because they fly so fugging awesome. Every serious malfunction or quality concern has been addressed by the company/dealer i purchased the kite from to a very high standard.

i just hope 2013 see's some improvements!

Berg K1t3r
QLD, 106 posts
27 Feb 2012 9:18AM
Thumbs Up

yes but not all of us are fortunate enough to have perfect wind and wave direction at the same time, everytime they have a session, especially if you surf unhooked.

eppo said...

Agreed on the slowness but when you are hurtling down a 6 foot indo wave, barreling and spitting behind you, you want a steady slow kite.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
27 Feb 2012 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

poor relative said...

^^^^Poor Relo.... This is by far the best and most imformative comment on this thread so far. . **** you even got a swear word in, moderate that Laurie!. I wonder what the silverback's choice would be....?

BUMP

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
27 Feb 2012 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

dave...... said...

poor relative said...

^^^^Poor Relo.... This is by far the best and most imformative comment on this thread so far. . **** you even got a swear word in, moderate that Laurie!. I wonder what the silverback's choice would be....?

BUMP

So who is the idiot that keeps it afloat?

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
28 Feb 2012 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

^^^Me, baby, me.

Eppo, dont take the red thumbs to heart, I dont red thumb people, But I do like soilent green......

BUMP

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
28 Feb 2012 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

God, Its not 7 pages yet..... a video might help

That music, aint my cup of tea....

BUMP!

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
29 Feb 2012 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

In the name of seven pages, I will say that I'm interested to see what the new Peter Lynn LEI's are like, good pedigree.

radman4
678 posts
1 Mar 2012 8:49AM
Thumbs Up

Cant believe this thread is still going havent had the time to spare to read it all yet but def looks like its gonna crack 7 or 8 pages,must be a serious lack of wind around.

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
1 Mar 2012 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

Just to make things fair.....

Seriously ben, no whack off the lip????

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
2 Mar 2012 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Yeh that is one huge ass wave hey.

Jedibrad
NSW, 526 posts
5 Mar 2012 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

he might'v been able to do a turn if he'd been on a rebel

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
6 Mar 2012 9:40AM
Thumbs Up

Totally agree. Perfect kite for this sort of thing the BWS. Perth onshore slop, one wonders. Then again I feel the same about SB's in perth, what is the point?

DelFuego
WA, 213 posts
6 Mar 2012 12:38PM
Thumbs Up

some a more research ey, JP on windsurfer from 4.30min on this vid at cloudabreaka, maybe a strapped for kiting betterer in thees conditionoza

the walks
WA, 448 posts
6 Mar 2012 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Roo nuts needed
Awesome

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
6 Mar 2012 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

Yep that was awesome!

bjw
NSW, 3584 posts
8 Mar 2012 9:50AM
Thumbs Up

So Snowie, hows that decision going hey?

djdojo
VIC, 1607 posts
8 Mar 2012 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

JP just shredding at Cloudbreak. Best windsurfing on a left that I've ever seen recorded. PROPS!!

Great thread by the way. I've laughed, I've cried, I've felt agony and ecstasy; what a great saga! Keep it coming.

Poida
WA, 1915 posts
8 Mar 2012 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

So many good deals in the buy and sell section for both rebels and BWS Noise
(7 pages of rebels for sale :-0)

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
8 Mar 2012 10:06PM
Thumbs Up

Poida said...

That's because they sell so many do to their superior performance. 7 ages here we come. LOL

tightlines
WA, 3467 posts
9 Mar 2012 12:21AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Poida said...

That's because they sell so many do to their superior performance. 7 ages here we come. LOL

Yep this one sure has been going for ages, will it go to 10?
Im tempted to mention another brand and get it locked

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
9 Mar 2012 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

what's the point, everyone seems to blind to the fact that the rebel is the superior kite out there.

bjw
NSW, 3584 posts
10 Mar 2012 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

what's the point, everyone seems to blind to the fact that the rebel is the superior kite out there.

It's Kony's fault.

samoht
QLD, 111 posts
10 Mar 2012 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Ahhh! ya just bs'ing on to get it over the page, Some kinda record.???

I think the Vegas is better than both of them.
It just backs up down the line like its glued there...
Turns instantly...
Absorbs the gusts...

Don't know why it never gets a mention or is ever included in these type discussions.
and

It's still North.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
10 Mar 2012 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Yeh true doesn't get much of a mention. Watched a pro rider at my secret local once just do the most absurd sh1t on a vegas. If I was really hitting the limits yeh I'd go a vegas. The rebel is just a good all rounder, a fun kite in experienced hands. But the vegas can move you into some real technical areas, I'm too old to try!

radman4
678 posts
10 Mar 2012 2:55PM
Thumbs Up

Could of summed this topic up about 5 1/2 pages ago ,for a dedicated surf kite Noise hands down for an all rounder then Rebel would be the go if i had to choose between the two then i'd go the all rounder but am glad i have other choices sorry epp.

samoht
QLD, 111 posts
10 Mar 2012 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

eppo said...

Yeh true doesn't get much of a mention. Watched a pro rider at my secret local once just do the most absurd sh1t on a vegas. If I was really hitting the limits yeh I'd go a vegas. The rebel is just a good all rounder, a fun kite in experienced hands. But the vegas can move you into some real technical areas, I'm too old to try!

I'd beg to differ there.

I see the Rebel as "the machine" especially up wind, and the vegas as "the alrounder", the do anything kite.

I see the Vegas as the kite that absorbs the gusts, no deadspots in the turns, no waiting, its there when you want it to be, and if you want to go trick riding, (which I don't) you could do it as well.

The vegas might be labeled as doing technical stuff, but it is just a cruisy kite if you want it to be.
So it sort of gives you the best of everything.

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
10 Mar 2012 7:15PM
Thumbs Up

samoht said...

Select to expand quote
eppo said...

I'd beg to differ there.

I see the Rebel as "the machine" especially up wind, and the vegas as "the alrounder", the do anything kite.

I see the Vegas as the kite that absorbs the gusts, no deadspots in the turns, no waiting, its there when you want it to be, and if you want to go trick riding, (which I don't) you could do it as well.

The vegas might be labeled as doing technical stuff, but it is just a cruisy kite if you want it to be.
So it sort of gives you the best of everything.

Cool I will have to demo one, then.

mywisdom
WA, 258 posts
10 Mar 2012 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

you can set up a vegas to be faster than a rebel or slower, have similiar bar pressure (maybe a bit heavier) or heaps heavier to have similiar depower or heaps less.. can be a confusing kite to set up and doing a bad combination of wing tip/ LE for your level/style can make you feel like a complete tard all session.

IMO the difference is the bottom and top end and no points for guessing which is the king of which! ive found the 10m vegas to have a similar wind range to an 8m rebel and the rebel still is the first to be depowered in 23knots +!! both super stable but the rebels bottom end/grunt makes it better down the line for waves ect. Oh and the relaunch!

terryzarmzof
QLD, 336 posts
11 Mar 2012 1:12PM
Thumbs Up

flew the 2012 rebel the other day, whats the big deal? it reminded me of a crossbow without the heavy bar.

lotofwind
NSW, 6451 posts
12 Mar 2012 4:51PM
Thumbs Up

I think 8 pages or we havent tried hard enough.

This should keep things kicking.
The new "extra strong longer lasting" material North are useing on their canopys is apparently a bit of a marketing gimick. Surprise,surprise.
It may be slightly stronger but when it does rip,and it will in the waves, it rips in a zig zag fashion.Not a straight rip, and also frays really badly making repair jobs a real problem and cost a sh!t load more to repair, repairs then look horrid so resale value is significantly lower.

8 pages here we come.

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 BWS Noise vs 2012 North Rebel" started by Snowy