Thumbs Up

Rider: 85kg, Intermediate
Style: Wake, Freestyle
Weather: 10-20 knots
Build Quality: too early to judge /10
Satisfaction: too early to judge/10
Disclosure: Bought the kite from Briskites. Have had Naish gear for two years

My Comments:
This is a review for the new 2012 Naish Torch 12m. I own a Naish Torch 12, 2010 and have been ridding this kite for over a year – so I will compare my impressions with the 2010 model. Picked up the new kite today and had a 1.5h session at Woodypoint. Wind was up and down ranging from 10-20kn.
The bar:
Probably the biggest change on the kite –depower is above the bar! I always liked the Naish below the bar depower but I must say for the Torch the above the bar depower is great. Main advantage is that the trow is always the same. Since the trow is short on the Torch there is no need for a stoper ball and the bar spins freely and within easy reach. Leash is also new and looks good.
Kite:
I have the feeling that the tips are shorter and the struts are a bit fatter (did not have the 2010 Torch next to it). Overall the kite feels very similar to the 2010. I was ridding the kite in the factory setting so there is lots to try… In this setting (A, D): The kite seems to have less bar pressure than the 2010 – I wouldn't have minded to have the bar pressure of the 2010 (that said I ride the 2010 in a different setting( B, D)). I had the feeling that the new Torch flies quicker than the 2010 and the fist 1/3 of the kite (from leading edge) feels a lot stiffer. I found that the power of the kite is about the same as the 2010. It's hard to tell without flying them back to back but I think the 2012 has less static grunt but flies quicker (which creates grunt). I think due to the “faster” foil the kite also seems to go upwind a bit better. Hooked-in the kite is very responsive (definitely turns quicker than the 2010). Unhooked the 2012 feels very nice, very defined and stable (not much different than the 2010). I noticed that the kite seems to drift back a bit quicker – this is nice as I sometimes felt the 2010 does not recover quick enough after a unhooked kite loop, i.e. landing with lots of slack in the lines and having to wait for the kite. I didn't push hard today as it was the first time I flew the new kite and we also didn't have much wind lately –so it will be interesting to see how it stacks up in the long run.

natemarshall
WA, 93 posts
27 Aug 2011 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

hi
do you know what the 2011 Naish torch is like because I'm looking at buying one. i am a advanced rider and i want lots of power and pop to unhooked jumps/handle passes and also want to do big lofty airs. i ride a RRD Obsession at the moment but i want to try a C-kite because of the power.

I want a kite with fast turning, loads of pop and medium bar pressure. is this the kite for me? i mainly ride on reasonably flat water or in the waves. i need a high performance kite due to entering comps. i also need a kite with loads of grunt.

Cheers

Nathan

koma
VIC, 760 posts
27 Aug 2011 6:41PM
Thumbs Up

natemarshall said...

do you know what the 2011 Naish torch is like because I'm looking at buying one. i am a advanced rider and i want lots of power and pop to unhooked jumps/handle passes and also want to do big lofty airs. i ride a RRD Obsession at the moment but i want to try a C-kite because of the power.

I want a kite with fast turning, loads of pop and medium bar pressure. is this the kite for me? i mainly ride on reasonably flat water or in the waves. i need a high performance kite due to entering comps. i also need a kite with loads of grunt.

The 2011 went a bit heavier on the bar pressure compared to the other Torches i've flown ('08, '09, '10). From what i've heard Naish have reduced the bar pressure a bit in the 2012 compared to the 2011, but haven't had that confirmed.
I ride a 2011 11m Torch and wouldn't swap it for anything. It's a tiny bit softer (less aggressive and violent) than the Hadlow Pro's and Fuel's, but that makes it a bit more usable IMO.

Back on topic... 2012 Torches are looking fantastic. I'm personally not sure about the above the bar depower but from those who've ridden it they reckon it's definitely a compromise worth making for longer depower rope life and less clutter by the CL.

kiter zac
QLD, 295 posts
27 Aug 2011 7:19PM
Thumbs Up

natemarshall said...

hi

Cheers

Nathan

if you want power then dont get a c kite. buy a switchblade instead.

natemarshall
WA, 93 posts
27 Aug 2011 5:22PM
Thumbs Up

im 14 and i weigh about 55kg. what would you recommend and 7m torch or a 8m torch

kiter zac
QLD, 295 posts
27 Aug 2011 7:28PM
Thumbs Up

depends on where you kite. id probably go the 8m though.

natemarshall
WA, 93 posts
27 Aug 2011 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

ok thanks

do you know anything about the naish park

Sanjay
147 posts
28 Aug 2011 3:24AM
Thumbs Up

From what I hear the 2011 Torch is a disaster compared to the 2010 model. Slow and oversheeting. Naish riders here preferred the 2010.

With regards to Park. That is not a powerful kite in 2011. Maybe 2012 is better

I don't agree with the statement that C kites don't have power. I have the Flexi Hadlow Pro's and the are very powerful. I also rode Obsessions before. Clearly prefer the Hadlows. But all kites have pros and cons

radman4
678 posts
28 Aug 2011 6:34AM
Thumbs Up

Been riding the 011 parks all sizes for most of this year and the perception is they arn't very powerfull,i disagree the bar is real light on the default setting and thus if you jump on one for a quick try it feels as though theres less power than a heavier bar kite yet i can ride in the same wind as guys lighter than me on same sized kites of different brands ,also the Park is one of the quickest hybrid kites on the market so you can generate power real easy when you get to grips with the kite,cant wait for the 2012 model but had a blast this year on the 011.

Drewm
VIC, 159 posts
28 Aug 2011 2:24PM
Thumbs Up

radman - i agree.

love my park!!

radman4
678 posts
28 Aug 2011 1:24PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^ sweet, just had a session on the 14 Park in 9-12 knots was on a stonker asymetric tt with a straight sideshore wind doing flip loop transitions and still staying upwind no probs,when you learn how to use the power the Park rocks ,its all about getting used to the power delivery,gotta say ive never flown another 14m kite that goes as hard as the Park.Stoked

natemarshall
WA, 93 posts
28 Aug 2011 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

would a 8m suit a 54kg person looking for a fast flying kite that is a advanced rider. i am trying handle passes on my 5m in 20-25 knots of wind and its a great kite but i want to get a bigger kite such as a 8m naish torch or park. i hear the torch is a good freestyle kite and i have found a 2011 one for $950 and a park for $900. what is the torch like if you know??

radman4
678 posts
28 Aug 2011 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

We tend to fly the Park rather than the torch in my area , 90% of the time its quite gusty so the Park is way more suitable for the local conditions ,as a freestyle kite the 8 is awesome ,if i could, i would ride it every day.

suimike
QLD, 45 posts
29 Aug 2011 10:21PM
Thumbs Up

IMO the Torch and the Park are two very different kites. I have not flown the park 2011 but I own a torch 2010 (12m, 9m), a 2012 12m torch and flown the torch 2011 and the 2012 park. I flown the Torch 2011 in very light wind and did not notice any over sheeting. I would say if you want to want to do “advanced” freestyle moves (more than just “trying” to handles pass) than I would definitely go for a torch. If you want an all-round kite the park is a good option, you get probably a bit more wind range and a more forgiving kite. The park 2012 I have flown def. loops a bit softer than the 2012 Torch. I don't agree with the power comparisons: If you just actively fly the torch (in particular the 2012) it has the same power as the park 2012. The difference is that you will not have to fly the park as active…
RE: Above vs. below: I think the advantages balance the disadvantages, on one hand you have (above the bar) a very clean setup and always the same throw vs. (below) larger throw (i.e. more depower) and the “messier” set-up. I only replaced the depower rope once on my torch in 2 years of very regular use.
If you go second hand I'd probably go for a 2011 torch (or if you find a cheaper, good condition 2010 torch). If you go 2012 it's a close call…

natemarshall
WA, 93 posts
3 Sep 2011 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

do the 2011 torches have much grunt and are they fast flying and are they alright in the surf

ewan kite
VIC, 926 posts
5 Sep 2011 6:33PM
Thumbs Up

Sanjay said...

From what I hear the 2011 Torch is a disaster compared to the 2010 model. Slow and oversheeting. Naish riders here preferred the 2010.

I don't agree with the statement that C kites don't have power. I have the Flexi Hadlow Pro's and the are very powerful. I also rode Obsessions before. Clearly prefer the Hadlows. But all kites have pros and cons

i don't know what naish riders you heard that from, but the 2011 was definitely a slight improvement on the 2010 in all departments except from slightly heavier bar pressure

I have had the 2012's for about a month now and can easily say that they are by far the best so far. I have been mostly riding the 10m. It has a bit lower aspect to last years kites. the main flying difference is that it flies a lot faster through the window, turning speed is the same but flying speed is hugely improved. this means more depower as if you put the bar out and dig in your edge the kite flies to the edge of the window very quickly meaning you don't need a big bar throw if you know how to edge properly. Also this years kites are slightly bigger after comparing to last years size for size, i.e. a 10 this year would have almost the power of a 11 last year.
absolutely love this kite, recommend it to anyone for freestyle/freeride.

14 Sep 2011 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Dont know about the torch but the park is much smoother and more powerful this year than last year .Just had a great day in the Noosa rivermouth riding the 2012 park 10mtr in butter smooth water had the 2011 out there at same time this years goes upwind and down turns so much better .
And on a whole cs arnt as powerful as all the rest but still love them
Have fun George

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
15 Sep 2011 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Sanjay said...

I think you heard wrong, have you flown them yourself?
2011 was definitely a much more aggressive kite than the 2012, maybe that was the issue?

exus
2 posts
9 Oct 2011 5:18AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

i'm happy owner of torch 09, 10m and 14m i weight about 80-85 riding nobile nph 134 (2010).

i'm thinking of buying the 2012 torch (what a surprise right ? :).
But still i'm playing with question what best size should i buy according to the "new" power torch 2012 has.

everyone maybe would think pick 12m but isn't it going to be substitution for my 14m ?

suimike
QLD, 45 posts
9 Oct 2011 2:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hi exus,

Had the 2012 12m Torch for a bit more than a month and I'm still very happy. Compared with the 2010 the 2012 12m is a bit more powerful. I'm the same weight as you are and I did not find any need for a 14m. I would recommend going for a 12m. IMO for 2012 a 12m torch and a 8m torch make a very good quiver (13kn-35kn). I find that the "sweet spot" of the 12m torch is 14-20kn for unhooking. Boosting is still good to about max 25kn.

Hope that helps. Where are you riding? If Brighton QLD, you can have a go on my 12m if you want...

exus
2 posts
9 Oct 2011 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

thanks suimike,
thank you for the info... well i ride here in Slovakia :) So i would be glad to borrow yours kite :P but it would cost me at least the amount of what a new kite cost :)

so my plan is to get now a good price on those kites and give it a try :)

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"2012 Naish Torch" started by suimike