Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

Kite choice - 2014 Bws Noise Pro or LF envy

Created by Boyler > 9 months ago, 29 May 2015
Boyler
NSW, 94 posts
29 May 2015 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys,

Any advice from people who ride these kites.
I am torn between the 2. Which kites would you recommend?

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Boyler

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
30 May 2015 11:17AM
Thumbs Up

What are you looking to do with it? What style of riding are you into and what's your level? Where are you riding? How much do you weigh?

I have a lot of experience with the Envy. It's a great kite. I ride for LF so am biased but I'm very opinionated and if I don't like something I am not quiet about it, even if I ride for the brand. Here's a review I wrote for Kite Mag that should give you a good idea of what it's about. I haven't flown the brand new BWS but I flew the old ones and they were not the best. That said I don't rate the old LF kites either. The new Envy is sick though. Let me know if you have any questions.

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
30 May 2015 1:55PM
Thumbs Up

I would say envy is the better kite, but the new 3 strut bws kites are a massive step forward from the old sloppy ones.

Boyler
NSW, 94 posts
30 May 2015 3:10PM
Thumbs Up

Elliott I sent you an email mate.
Look fed to hearing your thoughts.
Thanks

Drury
NSW, 502 posts
30 May 2015 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

Just answered!

Poida
WA, 1914 posts
30 May 2015 8:01PM
Thumbs Up

definitely give the 8m noise pro a demo. the bar is simple, imho superior to a lot of brands and the kite performs real well.

bjw
NSW, 3568 posts
30 May 2015 10:39PM
Thumbs Up

The one thing about the bws kite I like is that they just made one kite. All focus within the brand has been on that kite. For that reason they are a very stable reliable kite, and don't do stupid things in light or gusty conditions.

Medic
WA, 74 posts
31 May 2015 12:18AM
Thumbs Up

Disclaimer: I'm a beginner so can't compare to other kites. My experience with the 2015 Envy's (have an 8 and 12m) has been great. Awesome build quality, very stable, easy to fly. Light bar pressure (IMH (inexperienced)O), and good upwind capability. Very happy with them. Also have 2014 CPR bar, as well as the 2015 Response bar. Both great, but the Response bar is the pick! Good luck with your choice!

Kajo
NSW, 333 posts
1 Jun 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Although I cannot comment on the LF kites, all my other gear (board, impact vest, harness) is from LF and to say it's amazing is an understatement. The quality, the look and the functionality of their gear is absolutely incredible. I am a huge fan of LF.

I ride a 2013 BWS noise kite and although I have only ridden it for a season, I do like it although I have also ridden better kites (IMO).
It's a truck and rides well down the line but turns slower IMO than other 12m kites I have tried. The old handle bar is ****e, but apparently that has been addressed with the latest bar. If I had the choice I would likely go for LF, but would definitely try them out both if you get the chance. As previously mentioned BWS focus on one kite model and this one they do very well.

Yves
WA, 134 posts
1 Jun 2015 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Drury said..
What are you looking to do with it? What style of riding are you into and what's your level? Where are you riding? How much do you weigh?

I have a lot of experience with the Envy. It's a great kite. I ride for LF so am biased but I'm very opinionated and if I don't like something I am not quiet about it, even if I ride for the brand. Here's a review I wrote for Kite Mag that should give you a good idea of what it's about. I haven't flown the brand new BWS but I flew the old ones and they were not the best. That said I don't rate the old LF kites either. The new Envy is sick though. Let me know if you have any questions.

Interesting. To those who were still trusing magazines, there's a proof some kite mags reviews are written by team riders.

noahsky
NSW, 29 posts
1 Jun 2015 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

hey Mr Boyler My mate has a LF 12m and its twice the weight of my Naish Pivot 12. Maybe its cause it was wet as thats where it spent most of its time. He reckons the LF are built better but nah...my Naish is bullet proof.

blow in
NSW, 103 posts
1 Jun 2015 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
1 Jun 2015 5:14PM
Thumbs Up

My BWS is the only kite I've had origami in the sky. Mid turn, just folds in on itself making a really loud noise and then falls out of the sky. May be that's why they call them noise, because that's what they make before falling from the sky. Tried everything, like pumping way beyond hard and it still does it. So much so that I refuse to use it now if I'm out on the outer reefs.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
1 Jun 2015 7:01PM
Thumbs Up

To counter my previous post I just received a PM from BWS trying to find the issue and offering to fix immediately,. You don't get support like that too often. As everyone know you do sometimes get a bad kite and you cant judge a brand by one bad review but to have full time support is any amazing thing.

Tractorguy
TAS, 542 posts
1 Jun 2015 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Gazuki said..

To counter my previous post I just received a PM from BWS trying to find the issue and offering to fix immediately,. You don't get support like that too often. As everyone know you do sometimes get a bad kite and you cant judge a brand by one bad review but to have full time support is any amazing thing.

Boylers original post refers to the 014 model noise, are you talking about this model, cause these kites are awesome in the waves, the drift is incredible, they do not back stall IMO at all they just keep flying giving you confidence that you can weave your magic on the wave without worrying about the kite. Materials seem tough reasonably priced, the 014 kites are half that of a new name brand kite, the bar is easy on the eye and simple to use. and the after sales service is spot on. Cant comment on the LF.

flyingcab
VIC, 942 posts
2 Jun 2015 12:06AM
Thumbs Up

If you are learning see if you can grab a 2nd hand 2015 envy, the relaunch on them is amazing, i had a student relaunch one without me even teaching them, they just turned the kite with the bar as if it was in the air and up it popped.
Its relaunch like that, that will keep you enjoying the sport while you are learning.

Jasonwave
78 posts
2 Jun 2015 4:03PM
Thumbs Up

I learnt on BWS N Pros, loved the stabilty and steady power. You must be able to pick some cheap reconditioned ones off BWS as they do a great kite exchange Program (old for new). Their bar is wonderfully simple and functional

If you want to spend your time in waves, they are a great team to follow, and very accessible.

tezza02
QLD, 73 posts
2 Jun 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

I would havecto recommend the Envy , awesome all round kite , you wont be disappointed.....

Stewynew
32 posts
3 Jun 2015 11:39AM
Thumbs Up

+1 for the Envy 2015, I think it's a super kite. For me it feels nice and direct, and I always know where the kite is - even when pilot error kicks in :)

The new Response bar is also amazing - I really like the angled grip on the bar and the smaller diameter compared to other bars. It "feels" far less energy consuming to hold onto. Sounds a strange description in know

pezzy
QLD, 52 posts
3 Jun 2015 2:16PM
Thumbs Up

It depends what you want the kite for.

The BWS is a great surf kite because thats exactly what its for, you can learn on them (I did) but there are much better options. They dont go up wind that well or jump that well, they have pretty slow turning but they have quite a bit of grunt, they are nice an stable in the air and have a good amount of bar pressure in my opinion so you can feel where the kite is at while you learn. Where they excel is downwind drift, you can just park the kite and ride straight at it and it will just float on down wind.

If you are considering the Liquid force envy maybe you could also consider the switch element. I demoed one about 6 months ago and was pretty surprised. Like the BWS it drifts nicely down wind if you ride straight at it, but it has amazing up wind ability and jumps fairly well too. They are also about $700 excluding bar for a 10m (if my memory serves me right cant be bothered to check). I cant compare it the the envy but its another option.

BENHURbevo
WA, 23 posts
22 Aug 2015 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

I had the same problem with my classic 8 mtr...mid turn leading edge buckled in the middle area....falling out the sky and putting me in trouble....this was after a couple of season use though....got intouch with bws w.a....hoping they would send me some new p lines and bridles cus after some research theres a suggestion they overstretch way more than they should...giving an inbalance between front and rear lines...thus putting pressure in the middle area of the l.e.....their suggestion was to invest in a new bws kite from them( give me a good deal...ppfft).... I lost confidence in the kite...as i regard myself a learner still....i ended up finding out a couple of quick fixes.....restretching the lines so they are all equal length again(see utube)... Also found that this problem mainly occures when in depower....so i now have to fly kite fully powered.. That can get tricky for a learner....the new range of bws kites no longer have the p line set up....( i wonder why!!!).... I also hear that the l.e is now a lot thicker in diameter...( i wonder why!!!)...got some advice to try putting some small length pig tails to counter act the issue that will be this seasons mission....( to try get some confidence back in my kite)... Good luck with yours

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing Gear Reviews

"Kite choice - 2014 Bws Noise Pro or LF envy" started by Boyler