Forums > Kitesurfing > Gear Reviews > Slingshot RPM 2013
Author Slingshot RPM 2013
Page: of 1
QLD
377 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 29/1/2013, 7:05 pm        Report
Rider: Weight, 73KGs Style: Freeriding, Surf, Freestyle Disclosure, shop & school owner My Comments: Hi guys, Slingshot sent us the new RPM in a 12 & 8 last week for a try. We managed to get them out with a wide range of riders, in a wide range of conditions, {had light wind right through to a small cyclone} we only had them for a week and it did rain for 4 days, not that that stopped us kiting on them. Myself i felt that the build was even better, the material seemed thicker, {compared it to a new one from last year] I rode the 12mtr in light wind {12knts} up to decent {20knts}. On the ground the kite is slightly bigger but the lines are shorter[23mtr instead of 25mtr ] so it looks much bigger in the sky, but over all to me it didn't seem that different in feel it just had a bit more grunt and maybe more hang time. [need to go kiting on it more] The 8mtr is slightly bigger in depth as well i really liked this one. I had it out in 22-35knts in the same session, with big surf and some rain, super stable, smoother in feel and more power at the bottom end than last years, but still unhooks great and drifts well. Everyone who rode the 8 thought it had more power and most of them thought it relaunched a bit better than last years. The new bar looks great and feels smoother, [i liked the old one too] [ im g] hope this is interesting Have fun George
NSW
2026 Posts
Posted 29/1/2013, 8:11 pm        Report
Hey George, Any comments in relation to turning speed, I reckon the 2012 10m is slow and turns like a pig with heavy bar pressure. And one-pump inflation, have they fallen in line with many other brands by changing to a one way valve or are they still split inflate/deflate. Good to hear they still feel good unhooked, I really like the 2012 in this mode of riding... Graphics look bold as well!
QLD
377 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 29/1/2013, 8:28 pm        Report
We only had a 12 and 8 so not sure of the 10 but i can say the 8 turns faster than last years, but the 12 seemed the same The one pumps the same as last years [ myself im not a fan of the one valve systems on some kites as they can be hard to fix or replace,] Have fun George
VIC
147 Posts
Posted 30/1/2013, 6:03 am        Report
Are you taking orders...... Can't wait.
QLD
377 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 30/1/2013, 6:55 am        Report
I can but contact me direct if your keen thanks George
NSW
165 Posts
Posted 30/1/2013, 1:26 pm        Report
surfingboye said... Hey George, Any comments in relation to turning speed, I reckon the 2012 10m is slow and turns like a pig with heavy bar pressure. And one-pump inflation, have they fallen in line with many other brands by changing to a one way valve or are they still split inflate/deflate. Good to hear they still feel good unhooked, I really like the 2012 in this mode of riding... Graphics look bold as well!
I am not sure what you are comparing the 10m RPM with reference turning speed and I am not sure why the one you tested was slow. I wouldnt say they are the fastest kites around but they are not slow or heavy. There are adjustments for the bar pressure and a freestyle and wakestyle attachment point. I mainly use the freestyle setting as I am in the surf all the time with the second lightest bar pressure setting and I dont have a problem. Maybe George or Kitepower could shed some more light on the subject but it sounds like the 10m you flew wasn't setup to achieve maximum performance. I did read that the 10m from 2011, 2012 was pretty close to the 12m in size and this could be the reason it seemed slower as it might be closer to a 11m sizing in other kite brands - not sure. I have a 12 and 9 I think they are pretty good all round kites. (I have previously owned North and Ozone kites so that is all I can compare against and I would place the RPM's in between these with the 2010 North Rebel being the slowest and heaviest.)
VIC
911 Posts
Posted 30/1/2013, 6:30 pm        Report
surfingboye said... Hey George, Any comments in relation to turning speed, I reckon the 2012 10m is slow and turns like a pig with heavy bar pressure. And one-pump inflation, have they fallen in line with many other brands by changing to a one way valve or are they still split inflate/deflate. Good to hear they still feel good unhooked, I really like the 2012 in this mode of riding... Graphics look bold as well!
Slingshot dual valve setup is so behind the eight ball. That super small inlet valve takes fooooorever too pump up.
NSW
2026 Posts
Posted 30/1/2013, 7:10 pm        Report
suniboy21 said...
Slingshot dual valve setup is so behind the eight ball. That super small inlet valve takes fooooorever too pump up.
Yep... And I flew a brand new RPM when I was on holidays, was on the freestyle setting with bar pressure in the mid setting. I am comparing directly from my 10m Reo though, admittedly probably like a 9m RPM would be in size... I just couldn't believe people like to use them in the surf, not suited to me IMO.
WA
160 Posts
Posted 2/2/2013, 10:27 pm        Report
Id buy one if it wasn't so hard to trim the kite. Depower rope needs a pulley.
VIC
147 Posts
Posted 6/2/2013, 7:15 pm        Report
Just veer off downwind and it's a lot easier. Looking forward to southerly change tomorrow!!
NSW
4277 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 6/2/2013, 7:52 pm        Report
Flying High said...
I am not sure what you are comparing the 10m RPM with reference turning speed and I am not sure why the one you tested was slow. I wouldnt say they are the fastest kites around but they are not slow or heavy. There are adjustments for the bar pressure and a freestyle and wakestyle attachment point. I mainly use the freestyle setting as I am in the surf all the time with the second lightest bar pressure setting and I dont have a problem. Maybe George or Kitepower could shed some more light on the subject but it sounds like the 10m you flew wasn't setup to achieve maximum performance. I did read that the 10m from 2011, 2012 was pretty close to the 12m in size and this could be the reason it seemed slower as it might be closer to a 11m sizing in other kite brands - not sure. I have a 12 and 9 I think they are pretty good all round kites. (I have previously owned North and Ozone kites so that is all I can compare against and I would place the RPM's in between these with the 2010 North Rebel being the slowest and heaviest.)
We got our 2013 stock yesterday, we have put a 10M into demo and we will report on it soon, hopefully tomorrow the wind will be strong enough for a 10M.
VIC
219 Posts
Posted 7/2/2013, 11:07 am        Report
polykarb said... Just veer off downwind and it's a lot easier. Looking forward to southerly change tomorrow!!
Above the bar trim is where its at, not to mention changing the chicken loop rope (which usually lasts a season) for the first time is a mission.
NSW
607 Posts
Posted 7/2/2013, 12:38 pm        Report
We will have 6 - 8 & 12 mtr RPMs at Kitestock for peeps to try come down and check them out for yourself
VIC
147 Posts
Posted 7/2/2013, 1:15 pm        Report
Just picked up my new 12m..... Now waiting for the sea breeze to kick in. Whooooooho. Orange/orange/black. Stoked.
VIC
147 Posts
Posted 8/2/2013, 6:53 am        Report
Sooooooo good.. Last night I had my first fly.. Geeez it's good, a lot faster than my 14m rpm, took a little bit of adjustment to get used to. I'm very impressed, although I already knew how they flew from previous models and that this year is refinement rather than re-model. Straight away I felt comfortable unhooking and looping... Although it was light wind to start off with, (Maybe 10knots) wind increased to over 20knots. I think I may have scared a few intermediate kiters at st Kilda, I didn't mean too but using those swells as ramps and really getting the extra lift is sooooo fun. It got quite busy. Never touched de-power.... Had it got any winder I would have swapped down to 10m c4. Thank you slingshot!!!!
VIC
10 Posts
Posted 8/2/2013, 1:21 pm        Report
I'm with Karl on this i picked up my new 9m and 12m yesterday from the Zu. Went out in Port Melb once it started blowing around 19 - 22 knots on the 9m. It is freaking amazing!! I weigh in at 78kg plus gear and rode fully powered the entire time. Previously had a 2011 9m switchie and have been riding Zu Boardsports' 12m rpm demo kite for the last couple of months till the shipment arrived and i can happily say worth the wait, and worth every cent. Was getting some pretty good air in that much wind so I can't wait to take her out in some serious breeze. Easily the best kite I've ever ridden.
QLD
377 Posts
Site Sponsor!
Visit Website
Posted 10/2/2013, 4:40 pm        Report
Hi Damage sounds like your having fun with the 9mtr . Have you ridden it in the surf yet?
VIC
10 Posts
Posted 11/2/2013, 11:20 am        Report
Not the new ones, I have ridden the older models in the waves which was a big reason i switched from the switchblades. These offer a lot better drift.

Page: of 1
Forums > Kitesurfing > Gear Reviews > Slingshot RPM 2013
^^^ Return to top of page ^^^