Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

2010 Australian Blokart Open

Created by djb > 9 months ago, 5 Nov 2009
landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
30 Mar 2010 8:59PM
Thumbs Up

Ive had a few thirds over the years.the firsts are actually a rather rare beast
would have loved to have been there. did you get 3 days sailing in?
tell us some highlights

djb
QLD, 174 posts
31 Mar 2010 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Three days of racing with only a short rain delay on Sunday.
The beach was potholed on the lower section so the top band was mainly used. Each day it got better.
Roughly the same number of entries as last year with 7 classes this year getting 9 short course and 2 x 15km marathons in plus the novice field.
Trophies got widely spread. I'll post placings soon.

trumpy
QLD, 27 posts
31 Mar 2010 9:52AM
Thumbs Up

Ha Cisco

What makes you say that running a marathon at 15knots is doutful, for your info we ran 2 marathons, one on the Saturday and one on the Sunday, out of 82 karts I heard a top speed reached of 68kph, we would have run one on the Friday but decided to continue short course racing to complete more races,

Amazes me how you can make such a comment from just reading a whether report, after all these years and so many postings maybe one day you will come and race with us cisco, As we all know, being there and doing it is the " REAL DEAL"

Cheers
PhilC

trumpy
QLD, 27 posts
31 Mar 2010 10:11AM
Thumbs Up

Just breifly....2010 Nationals

Another excellent blokart event with 82 karts registered to race and 3 days of awesome sailing, we had competitors from NZ, WA, VIC, NSW & QLD.
It was fantastic to meet up with many old faces and be involved with such a great comunity of people that this sport of blokarting brings together.

A huge Congratulations to the Central Qld blokart Club for hosting an extremely well run event.

Check this out

See ya all at our next events, Capehills Borough and then the State of Origin at Evans Hea..... yeehaa

Cheers
PhilC

djb
QLD, 174 posts
31 Mar 2010 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Place getters

Middle Weight Performance

1st Ben Lazzar
2nd Barak Dekel
3rd David Heilborn

Heavy Weight Performance

1st Johnathon Lawless
2nd Ivan Patterson
3rd Graham Oliver

Super Heavy Weight Performance

1st Russell Whitehouse
2nd Paul Beckett
3rd Joe Millen

Light Weight Production

1st Jordan Appleton
2nd Emily Scott
3rd Bev Schultz

Middle Weight Production

1st Laz Sandilands
2nd William Scott
3rd Steve Bundred

Heavy Weight Production

1st Tony Frances
2nd John Condon
3rd Wayne Lewis

Super Heavy Weight Production

1st Russell George
2nd Andrew Hine
3rd Wayne Hunt

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
1 Apr 2010 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

just watched the nifty video doesnt look like lycra took off

hills
SA, 1622 posts
1 Apr 2010 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

landyacht said...

just watched the nifty video doesnt look like lycra took off

Thank goodness!!

Great video!! Looks like it was a great event - congrats!!

Broken Mast
QLD, 44 posts
1 Apr 2010 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

cisco said...

trumpy said...
What makes you say that running a marathon at 15knots is doutful,

Amazes me how you can make such a comment from just reading a whether report, after all these years and so many postings maybe one day you will come and race with us cisco,

Sorry Phil, I was not trying to be critical. I merely looked at "Current Observations" on the BoM site which showed the strongest gusts to be 17 knots which means the underlying wind speed is less, hence my comment on the feasability of running a marathon.

Most times I have visited Yeppoon the wind has been 18 knots plus particularly with the reliable afternoon seabreeze usually prevalent there.

Formalised competitions are not a prerequisite to the enjoyment of land sailing, yacht sailing, snow skiing, ice skating or a host of other sports.

I am just not that competetively minded or maybe I march to the beat of a different drummer.

Looks like the event was another success with several familiar names in place gettings. Glad you all had fun.

It appears in the video you posted that many are now using the big fork and wheel.

Paul Day was scrutineered and accepted with this configureation in the production class last year. Is it now generally accepted for that class?

Cheers Cisco.

Not really Cisco. Weren't any that I saw. Knobby front tires were about and provided good grip in the corners but I didn't see any big foot set ups on production karts. It's more prevalent in performance class.

daisygirl
QLD, 109 posts
5 Apr 2010 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

We have made it home safe and sound this afternoon after our extended holiday after the Aust Open.

Thanks to everyone involved in organising and running the eventt as once again a great location and good racing. I just have to practice my starts and then hopefully will be back up that way for the Regatta.

BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
9 Apr 2010 3:22PM
Thumbs Up

First, I want send my vote of thanks to CQBC for running a brilliant event yet again.

Regarding the discussion on wind speed, while my personal preference is a good 30kt blast, lighter winds do test the skills of competitors far better than strong winds.

That said, the wind at this years event was stronger and more consistent than I can recall from previous years. I didn't really notice anyone having difficulties, and except for the short rain shower and the corresponding lull as the wind shifted on the Sunday, the wind didn't even go close to being less than the racing threshold.

Brian Campbell

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
11 Apr 2010 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

BeeGee said...

First, I want send my vote of thanks to CQBC for running a brilliant event yet again.

I didn't really notice anyone having difficulties, and except for the short rain shower and the corresponding lull .

Brian Campbell
oh the joys of sailing on a wet beach IN the rain. Verrrrryyyy european

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

"2010 Australian Blokart Open" started by djb