Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

2011 National Titles

Created by BeeGee > 9 months ago, 5 Dec 2010
BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
6 Dec 2010 12:11AM
Thumbs Up

We paid Oliver's Lake a visit over the weekend to check its condition. As you can see from the photos, the 60mm of rain over the past week (considered very heavy for the Wimmera) doesn't seem to have created too much of a problem.

Should Oliver's Lake be unusable, the airport that is our alternative is fantastic and has a runway that is twice as wide as the one at Evan's Head.

Get those entries in. This is not one to be missed.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
6 Dec 2010 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

that is looking soooooooo different to the last images we have seen.
it looks bloomin excellent. that surface looks more like a gypsum/salt mix, which is usually very fast with really good traction for power sliding
mmmmmmmmmmm......

Barak BBB
QLD, 40 posts
7 Dec 2010 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

I am convinced
See you down on the lake

B

BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
7 Dec 2010 1:44PM
Thumbs Up

Landyacht, you will find that the surface is very different to Lake Lefroy. Lake Lefroy has a nice thick crust of white granular salt, like the sea salt you would buy in the supermarket. Oliver's Lake has a very fine grey powder on top. If you like sliding, you'll love Oliver's Lake. If you don't like sliding...well, learn to love it.

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
8 Dec 2010 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Hows the lake after the recent rain, I am assuming Horsham they got similar rain to Adelaide and Melbourne.

Edit.............
Looking at the weather bureau stats you might be fortunate that little rain has fallen there this week..... Dry lake =
And what rain that did fall would have been blown away with the wind.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
8 Dec 2010 5:32PM
Thumbs Up

BeeGee said...

We paid Oliver's Lake a visit over the weekend to check its condition. As you can see from the photos, the 60mm of rain over the past week (considered very heavy for the Wimmera) doesn't seem to have created too much of a problem.

[.

dont be so modest fellas, having seen the photos, I reckon you deserve to add about 10 of these
keep up the good work

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
4 Jan 2011 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

Guess I should have found this thread earlier, whoops. If spectators are welcome i'll be there for the weekend at very least

port
VIC, 446 posts
4 Jan 2011 1:08PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Lachlan
Yes there is plenty of room for spectators.With ample shade facilities.
With the lack of rain in the later part of December average winds around 22kmh and temps around 30 degrees the lake should be hard and ready to go.Why dont you get your hands on a loan kart and come and pit your skills,we still have 20 days till practice day.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
5 Jan 2011 12:06PM
Thumbs Up

Sounds tempting, although I'm sure my sailing skills wouldn't do the event justice. Whatever happens I'm almost certain now I'll make it to the event (as certain as can be).

Where would I start if I wanted to organise a Blokart loan for the event?

port
VIC, 446 posts
5 Jan 2011 1:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys N Gals
Counting down the days now as the planning and organising goes into overdrive.I have had two reports from the local tourist park operator and local competitor to Horsham that the Olivers Lake is right and ready to go,no surface water or soft parts only hard race surface that leaves no indentation when walked or karted on,the only slippery part was in the nursery area at the entrance to the lake no where near the race area.So have no fear providing we get wind (ave of 22kmh for december)we will be having a National Blokarting Championships on Olivers Lake Horsham Victoria.

port
VIC, 446 posts
5 Jan 2011 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Lachlan there is several club members with spare karts that i have sent a request too re hiring out for the event,i have also PM d you .

port
VIC, 446 posts
5 Jan 2011 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Directions to Olivers Lake

Directions: set trip meter on car speedo to zero at the traffic lights next to the Church of England at the north end of Horsham's main street, Firebrace Street, travel towards Adelaide on the Western Highway, turn left at the historical marker sign 6.3 kms from Horsham onto Polkemmet Road, follow this, cross... the Wimmera river bridge at 23.5 kms from Horsham, veer right at the blind corner 25.9kms from Horsham onto Meyer Road/ Duchembegarra Road, turn right onto Duchembegarra road at 26.9kms from Horsham, turn left into a narrow lane dirt track at 29.4kms, the entrance to Oliver's lake flora reserve at 30.1kms, park at end of lane and hope the wind is blowing.

Please do not drive on the lake or Blokart outside our permitted days.

BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
6 Jan 2011 12:32PM
Thumbs Up

This may help...

port
VIC, 446 posts
12 Jan 2011 1:00PM
Thumbs Up

Due to recent rainfalls and the forecast of more a decision on the usabilty of Olivers Lake Horsham will be made on Friday 21st January and all entrants will be informed if the event is to be moved to the Waraknabeal Aeordrome venue by sms message.

BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
12 Jan 2011 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

port said...

...a decision on the usabilty of Olivers Lake Horsham will be made on Friday 28th January ...

I think you mean Friday 21 January.

port
VIC, 446 posts
12 Jan 2011 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Due to recent rainfalls and the forecast of more a decision on the usabilty of Olivers Lake Horsham will be made on Friday 21th January and all entrants will be informed if the event is to be moved to the Waraknabeal Aeordrome venue by sms message

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
12 Jan 2011 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

port said...

Hi Lachlan there is several club members with spare karts that i have sent a request too re hiring out for the event,i have also PM d you .

just do it lachlan you will have so much fun it will hurt , i will put in a request to my amigos at hunter hawks to make sure you have a great time . you can be my representative at the event
you can even ring me on my mobile during the event for racing tips

port
VIC, 446 posts
13 Jan 2011 1:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys yes we could make that call then and still be disappointed that we could have used the Olivers Lake venue,be positive we have an alternative venue so the 2011 Blokart Titles will be going ahead barring no wind.
The decision will be made on the 21st.
G

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
13 Jan 2011 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

At least the two venues are reasonably close together so changing venue shouldn't affect travel times/schedules much, and both look pretty good from the pics so long as the wind holds up its end of the deal

BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
16 Jan 2011 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

Competitors planning to attend the Nationals have no doubt seen stories of the Victorian floods in the news. We have also been constantly monitoring the situation for the Horsham area.

Here is the status as we understand it...

The rain stopped on Friday. The forecast for the Wimmera area is for sunny weather for the entire forecast period. The flooding predictions are the result of rain that has already fallen, not rain that is expected.

While Oliver's Lake is likely to be unuseable, we will still remain hopeful. We do realise that for some of you, this would be your first opportunity to sail on a salt lake and we will not be giving up on the site easily. That said, we have locked in the use of the airport. The airport would have made a good first choice for such an event, so it may be our second choice but it is far from being second rate.

From the above it should be clear - the event will go ahead as planned.

Regarding the floods, the Wimmera River is predicted to reach its peak tomorrow. This means it will happen 4-5 days before the event. The Wimmera River runs along the south of Horsham CBD and some homes and businesses are predicted to be inundated. Horsham itself is not expected to be totally flooded and isolated as some towns have been. It appears that the low-lying areas will be impacted only.

Those staying at the caravan park should have no problems. There are two caravan parks in Horsham; one by the river and one about 2km south. The caravan park we have been suggesting is the one that is 2km from the river and is located at the top of a small hill.

Currently, the A8 between Melbourne and Horsham is closed, however that is not likely to remain the case long enough to impact us. There are multiple routes between the caravan park and the airport, so if one road is blocked, there should be other ways through.

For those driving down, you should be able to get to Hosham, but may find a road closure obstructs your preferred route. Monitor this website http://mobiletraffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/floodalerts/ to plan your route and avoid unnecessary delays.

Should the situation change, we will let you know. We have mobile phone numbers for most competitors from the entry form. If you have not provided a number on your entry form, would you please send me an SMS with your name so I can add you to the distribution list. My number is 0419 101 315.

Regards,
Brian Campbell

Zeus2
QLD, 10 posts
16 Jan 2011 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

BeeGee said...

Competitors planning to attend the Nationals have no doubt seen stories of the Victorian floods in the news. We have also been constantly monitoring the situation for the Horsham area.

Here is the status as we understand it...

The rain stopped on Friday. The forecast for the Wimmera area is for sunny weather for the entire forecast period. The flooding predictions are the result of rain that has already fallen, not rain that is expected.

While Oliver's Lake is likely to be unuseable, we will still remain hopeful. We do realise that for some of you, this would be your first opportunity to sail on a salt lake and we will not be giving up on the site easily. That said, we have locked in the use of the airport. The airport would have made a good first choice for such an event, so it may be our second choice but it is far from being second rate.

From the above it should be clear - the event will go ahead as planned.

Regarding the floods, the Wimmera River is predicted to reach its peak tomorrow. This means it will happen 4-5 days before the event. The Wimmera River runs along the south of Horsham CBD and some homes and businesses are predicted to be inundated. Horsham itself is not expected to be totally flooded and isolated as some towns have been. It appears that the low-lying areas will be impacted only.

Those staying at the caravan park should have no problems. There are two caravan parks in Horsham; one by the river and one about 2km south. The caravan park we have been suggesting is the one that is 2km from the river and is located at the top of a small hill.

Currently, the A8 between Melbourne and Horsham is closed, however that is not likely to remain the case long enough to impact us. There are multiple routes between the caravan park and the airport, so if one road is blocked, there should be other ways through.

For those driving down, you should be able to get to Hosham, but may find a road closure obstructs your preferred route. Monitor this website http://mobiletraffic.vicroads.vic.gov.au/floodalerts/ to plan your route and avoid unnecessary delays.

Should the situation change, we will let you know. We have mobile phone numbers for most competitors from the entry form. If you have not provided a number on your entry form, would you please send me an SMS with your name so I can add you to the distribution list. My number is 0419 101 315.

Regards,
Brian Campbell

[

Zeus2
QLD, 10 posts
16 Jan 2011 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

[ Drove out to check Olivers lake on Friday having driven through water from Robinvale on Thursday into Horsham and through Warracknabeal. The lake is currently 300 to 400mm deep with water still running in. Great looking venue but very unlikely to dry out any time soon.
Horsham is expecting a flood level Tuesday night greater than their 100 year flood level and is expected to cut the great western highway and cutting Horsham in half. Only 100 homes expected to be affected.
The roads from Horsham to Warracknabeal are expected to be cut by the same body of water although there is talk of the blue road that may be open????
Brian hope this update is a help.

Warracknabeal flood peak will not be until later in the week probably Thursday according to the latest reports.

Wimmera Lakes park is currently dry and expected to stay that way.

Zeus commonly known as flipper.

daisygirl
QLD, 109 posts
16 Jan 2011 10:20PM
Thumbs Up

After being out all weekend helping with the Brisbane floods and being in Bundaberg over Christmas during their flood, I hope that everyone stays safe during the week and good luck for the nationals. For any people driving down there, please be EXTREMELY careful as just a few cms of water can wash a car away. There has been too much death and destruction up here and I would hate to hear that any of my blokarting friends had been involved in an accident due to the floods.

BeeGee
VIC, 99 posts
18 Jan 2011 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Time for another update...

The peak has occurred in Horsham and the water is begining to recede. News from our local contacts is that in spite of what you may be seeing in the media, things are not as bad as they are being portrayed. Apparently only 6-10 houses had water over the floorboards. That's it. It is not like Qld with water to the rooftops.

So, as I said last time, the event is still on.

I just looked at the BoM forecast. It only goes out to Saturday but not only are they forecasting sunshine and temperatures in the low 30's, we will have wind, at least on the practice day. We will have to find out from a later forecast about wind for the race days, but it should be a great event.

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
19 Jan 2011 7:32PM
Thumbs Up

Does anyone have any news regarding known road closures and/or diversions in the Horsham/Warracknabeal area?

Zeus2
QLD, 10 posts
19 Jan 2011 7:14PM
Thumbs Up

lachlan3556 said...

Does anyone have any news regarding known road closures and/or diversions in the Horsham/Warracknabeal area?

[The roads in the Horsham and Warracknabeal areas are changing daily. See the Vic roads web site in BGees topic above for an instant update.
The Horsham peak has passed and was down about 500mm by pm today. The Wimmera River will back up the creek through Warracknabeal whose peak has passed at 11am today but is expected to drop slowly.

The Wimmera River is about 50k downstream of Warracknabeal.

I think we will get to race on the airstrip and remain positive with the mexican organisers. I am in Horsham and will keep touch with the local Vic roads office re the Henty Highway from Horsham to Warracknabeal .

Zeus2 ]

camo4wd
QLD, 16 posts
20 Jan 2011 1:42AM
Thumbs Up

Keep the updates coming, especially for those out of towners who do not know the roads well and the Vic roads site is giberish to us. I plan to race as I did not plan to come down to Vic to just visit relatives (although that was a bonus).

lachlan3556
VIC, 1066 posts
20 Jan 2011 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for that Zeus2, I missed that link first read through.

Currently looks like the drive across to Horsham from Bendigo is open, as far as I can tell. Not sure if this matters to anyone else.

If the Queenslanders have a route mapped out and would like it checked, you are welcome to post it or PM the details.

bazl
WA, 700 posts
20 Jan 2011 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

camo4wd said...

Keep the updates coming, especially for those out of towners who do not know the roads well and the Vic roads site is giberish to us. I plan to race as I did not plan to come down to Vic to just visit relatives (although that was a bonus).

+1

Jury is out on the bonus bit though...

camo4wd
QLD, 16 posts
20 Jan 2011 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

I would assume that olivers lake is very unlikely so Will practice be allowed at the airport on Saturday?

camo4wd
QLD, 16 posts
20 Jan 2011 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Jury is out on the bonus bit though...

Was taken fishing today, 40whiting, threw 8 back that where legal and came home to a great lamb roast. Visiting relatives was a bonus. :)

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

"2011 National Titles" started by BeeGee