Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

New Blokart World Record 110kmh

Created by JohnHS > 9 months ago, 23 May 2016
JohnHS
WA, 34 posts
23 May 2016 7:54AM
Thumbs Up

Lake Lefroy on Sat 21st May 2016.

Taking advantage of some of the smoothest salt conditions I have ever seen on the lake and the first cold front of the season with winds forecast to reach 35 knots (65kmh), Bryan Cook with the aid of Ben Ashby took the opportunity to put in some very fast speed runs.

Fastest run of the day went to Bryan Cook with a top speed of 110kmh logged by 2 GPS units and witnessed by Ben Ashby.

Lake Lefroy Land Sailing Club congratulate Bryan and Ben for some seriously fast sailing.

During one of the runs this rim shattered, guess they weren't designed for +100kph.

BenBoulder
WA, 261 posts
23 May 2016 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Well done Bryan it was truly courageous effort.

It was definitely the strongest winds I've ever sailed in, stronger than 2 years ago when did 108km/h

It was scary trying to chase you in my mini with a dangerously over-powered 3m sail.

You are the new record holder of 110km/h for Performance Blokart.

Other GPS speed achievements:
-Production Spec. Blokart 83km/h
-Pod sailing (no rigging) 18km/h

Lake Lefroy is one of the fastest surfaces in the world!!!

BenBoulder
WA, 261 posts
23 May 2016 11:32AM
Thumbs Up

Here is some footage Bryan sailing.

bryan
WA, 121 posts
23 May 2016 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

It was a ton of fun. Cant tell from the video just how fast it was. Next time we will set up a row of cones about 3 kms long to get an idea of speed.

Thanks to Ben for assisting, go pro to record it and support. Wouldn't have gone out alone to try it.

Also thanks Ben for the GENTLE nudge at about 90 kph to get going. HaHa

The wheel that broke I think was one I hit a kerb in a carpark about a month ago.

Seemed allright at the time but must have cracked it.

Wheels not balanced, bearings soso, fitted all glass mast on 1.8 m sail.

In my experience to get over the ton you just need a heap of wind.

Chook2
WA, 1244 posts
23 May 2016 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bryan said..
In my experience to get over the ton you just need a heap of wind.

and fearlessness courage.
Outstand effort mate.

bryan
WA, 121 posts
24 May 2016 5:30AM
Thumbs Up

speed conversion 110 kph =68.35mph = 59.34 knots

60 knots a nice round figure at 60 years of age!

bryan
WA, 121 posts
24 May 2016 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

On ABC tonight 7pm news is a piece on the event, near the end after the footy stuff, 7.25 or so.

mineral1
WA, 4564 posts
24 May 2016 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

Onya Bryan, that's bloody honking in a blow kart

Chris_M
2129 posts
24 May 2016 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Ballsy!

But why did they decide to fly that ugly kiwiana teatowel at 1:49? Hoping it would disintegrate in the nuking winds?

cisco
QLD, 12315 posts
24 May 2016 9:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JohnHS said..
Lake Lefroy on Sat 21st May 2016.

Taking advantage of some of the smoothest salt conditions I have ever seen on the lake and the first cold front of the season with winds forecast to reach 35 knots (65kmh), Bryan Cook with the aid of Ben Ashby took the opportunity to put in some very fast speed runs.

Fastest run of the day went to Bryan Cook with a top speed of 110kmh logged by 2 GPS units and witnessed by Ben Ashby.

Lake Lefroy Land Sailing Club congratulate Bryan and Ben for some seriously fast sailing.

During one of the runs this rim shattered, guess they weren't designed for +100kph.

Top effort and congratulations.

Those blokart branded wheels are quite hard and brittle and when pumped up to 35 to 40 psi will crack the edge of the rim off with just a moderate shock. The original blokart wheels (generic brand) are a softer and more flexible plastic and will not fail like that. However when pumped up to 40 psi they tend to distort a bit.

It is a pity there was not a Lake Le Froy Mini there on the day for you to pace against.

So you have set a new record for speed with a blokart. The next challenge is will a blokart go faster against a LLF Mini??

Paul Day could not catch me at Farnborough Beach Yeppoon some years ago against my Paul Day designed and my build LLF Mini with he sailing my blokart with which he pulled off the blokart championship that year and he is a lot more skilled land yacht sailor than I.

Lake Le Froy has to be the ultimate proving ground.

sn
WA, 2775 posts
24 May 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

Awesome effort fellas!!

I was hoping someone would make the most of the forecast wind last weekend.

Can I suggest that the broken wheel rim be used as the base for a trophy?

Use it as an annual prize for top speed or something similar?

stephen

bryan
WA, 121 posts
24 May 2016 7:46PM
Thumbs Up

1st time I've busted a rim, or even heard of one failing, I'm sure it was the same rim I slammed against a kerb in a carpark about 1 month ago.

A fitting trophy base for the fastest mini yacht / blokart on Lake Lefroy.

Ben was with me on the runs as well, pretty gutsy sailing with a 3 m sail in those conditions.

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
24 May 2016 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

I didn't know that blokart made a 1.8 meter sail

bryan
WA, 121 posts
24 May 2016 8:02PM
Thumbs Up

They don't'--I did

Kozzie
QLD, 1451 posts
25 May 2016 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

congrats on the record.

.... that 110kph wasnt just for the brief second old mate nudged you tho was it ?

Nux
2 posts
25 May 2016 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

So is it still a Blokart record with that cutdown sail & the side fairings that are in the photo's?

crustysailor
VIC, 869 posts
25 May 2016 7:37PM
Thumbs Up

what side fairings Nux? you mean the Pod?

That's a standardly available Blokart accessory.
Congratulations Bryan, and to your equally fast filmcrew!

I wish we had an accessible salt pan like that nearby.

Nux
2 posts
25 May 2016 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Have a close look at the photos you can see some sorts of side fairings!
in the photo of the cart on its side, you can see them sticking out the back & the one with the guy sitting on the wheel, under his hand & the white on the other side! the pod normally follows the same line as the side bar.
not trying to take anything away from what he has done. but just asking the question.
cheers

Gizmo
SA, 2865 posts
25 May 2016 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nux said..
in the photo of the cart on its side, you can see them sticking out the back & the one with the guy sitting on the wheel, under his hand & the white on the other side! the pod normally follows the same line as the side bar.
not trying to take anything away from what he has done. but just asking the question.
cheers

The extra sides can be seen in the posted video 1:54 onwards.

bryan
WA, 121 posts
25 May 2016 7:00PM
Thumbs Up

The side panels are coreflute, real estate signs.

Have pictures of them in seebreeze in my profile. Not blokart parts like the sail, but I'm after speed. Take em off at a blokart event, put them back on as needed.

Its still a blokart and it hit 110 kph.

I have a aftermarket. sports exhaust on my Holden, still a Holden.

I'll leave to you guys to argue the details.

Lake Lefroy is made for high wind sailing, the windjet with Richard Jenkins used it for a crack at the world speed record. But for an untimely downpour he would have done it here.

beachball57
SA, 538 posts
26 May 2016 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
crustysailor said..

I was thinking the same thing, is a blokart a blokart when using "non" factory issue sails and side flairings ? Just wondering.

Ricochet
SA, 32 posts
26 May 2016 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beachball57 said..

crustysailor said..

I was thinking the same thing, is a blokart a blokart when using "non" factory issue sails and side flairings ? Just wondering.

so is a Holden a Holden if it has a subaru WRX engine fitted and with the fairings from a porsche?

i say no.

yes a landyacht it is [with a great speed record] but a blokart it is not

but i would think it may have set a new mini 5.6 class record

great effort, well done

crustysailor
VIC, 869 posts
26 May 2016 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Nux said..
cheers

sorry Nux, you are right, good spotting to pick that up.

Then I'd say its a fully sic pimped blokart.

Still bl**dy fast, and a good effort all the same.
So what would you need to do to take it further, ie what's holding it back now?
wheels? bearings? weight? aero?

bryan
WA, 121 posts
26 May 2016 7:45PM
Thumbs Up

More work will be done, more pimping to do. I will notify all when done and if it works. Next cold front.

The wheels weren't balanced, didn't check pressures, bearings were ok.

Will run a kart stock performance setup next time as well to see what difference my mods make. Keep the purists happy. Even wear my blokart tee shirt!!

happy sailing at any speed

JohnHS
WA, 34 posts
27 May 2016 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

I don't really care about the blowkart/not blowkart/5.6 mini biz.

Shore in a class race setting then all yachts should conform to the class spec that's the whole idea.

This was not a class race this was one ballsy individual trying to sail bloody fast, on a day when most people were huddling by the fire. Ok so technically it might not be accepted as a "Blowkart" world record but, if Blowkart want to see their product progress and continue to be respected then they would be well advised to take a close look at Brian's very simple and very minor mods.

bryan
WA, 121 posts
27 May 2016 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

What I've done with my blokart guys have done for the last 100 years with cars, namely, how can I make it go faster, handle better?

Kiwi Burt Munro is a great example of this thinking in getting his Indian motorbike to run 4 times faster than the original.

Still called an Indian. Only raced on beaches in NZ and salt lakes in the states.

Maybe a new class of blokart is the Pimped class, see what the karts can really do!

I know I will get my kart over 110 sometime.

landyacht
WA, 5921 posts
27 May 2016 9:35PM
Thumbs Up

oh bryan ,the wowsers could even get to the end of the week!
great effort mate, you are now officially 20kph faster than me. with 2 records, lake lefroy mini And INTERNATIONAL 5.6 mini. let the rest of em stew in their on carparks

VindisDad
117 posts
28 May 2016 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic job Brian,
We'll have to dust off Vindi if you keep this up!

Don't know how you keep kart in a straight line at those speeds.

A real credit to you and Ben.

Cheers

BenBoulder
WA, 261 posts
28 May 2016 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Need to make a 1.5m mono-film sail for mini and blokart that will be seriously fast.

You don't realise how fast you are going on the salt as there is no point of reference. The scariest is coming back along the causeway.

Its great to have two yachts out there pushing each other the limit.

I was a little concerned when i did multiple spins at high speed not knowing where i was

It was the strongest winds I have experienced to date.

bryan
WA, 121 posts
21 Jun 2016 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

Me and Ben are busy tweaking my blokart to get 115 kph or more out of it.

Smaller sail, 2 mast sections high, streamlining, dampened steering, balanced wheels with cover disc's, full harness to hold me in.

Still a Blokart , Just pimped. Racing the wind, no one else.

bryan
WA, 121 posts
28 Jan 2017 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Have had my mk 2 speed-spec blokart out twice. Haven't had a good blast yet, just shake down runs, some mods work, some need a bit of fiddling around to get things better. More things to do as it is evolving.

Ben has a picture on Lake Lefroy- Land Sail & Kite.

Subscribe

Forums > Land Yacht Sailing Blokarts

"New Blokart World Record 110kmh" started by JohnHS