Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2013 CORBAN CRUISER 11'6" x 30" x 4 5/6

Created by DGA55 > 9 months ago, 6 Apr 2014
DGA55
14 posts
6 Apr 2014 8:09AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys - was looking at purchasing a CORBAN CRUISER 11'6 x 30" x 4 5/6
as my first sup board. I,m new to the sport and am interested in learning . I,m approx 92 kg and looking for the purpose of bay surf ,flat water . Both my tenage sons will be using also ( 14 & 16 yr olds ) Are they good value for the money $1780 ? can you recommend other SUP for similar or cheaper price ? Any thoughts or reviews welcome.
thanks Darren

Slab
1061 posts
7 Apr 2014 1:45AM
Thumbs Up

I ain't a beginner but was looking for a more cruise and surf SUP (more the latter) as a change to my small SUP and briefly asked someone for advice on this board. The advice was to look elsewhere as it is a tank. Hard to turn, heavy and just not really that good compared to other boards around. And that was from someone heavier than I (he is 100 kg) and used to sell them. I am 90 kg plus heavy wetsuit and opted for a GT 11 4 Naish Nalu.

djoblin
99 posts
7 Apr 2014 6:44AM
Thumbs Up

Disclaimer I Sell both Naish and Coreban

Naish 11'4 180L is great for surfing, not as great for flatwater

Cruiser, 11'6 215L better for flat water, much better in smaller waves, would work well for over 80kg.

Both work well for different folks. Naish in bigger surf, Coreban for mushier surf. Naish under 80 KG Coreban over.

If you can try both, that would let you know which suits you best.

DGA55
14 posts
7 Apr 2014 11:21AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the responses

Thinking I may go with the Corban as I think it may be better suited to my needs

DGA55
14 posts
7 Apr 2014 11:23AM
Thumbs Up

How do the Corban mammoths compare with the cruiser ? Would it suit my needs ? Thanks dga55

djoblin
99 posts
7 Apr 2014 12:00PM
Thumbs Up

Depends on who is going to use the mammoth mate. It suits bigger or less "balancy" folks, being 36" wide it s hard to fall off.

Great board but specific to someone who needs a wider board.

The 11'6'' Cruiser is better as an allrounder, And I still really like to surf it.

in short if you want a really stable board the mammoth is great
a great alrounder the cruiser. Both could be great then you get to choose.

Dan

Lenn
NSW, 173 posts
7 Apr 2014 2:22PM
Thumbs Up

Completely disagree, the Naish is great in the flat and the waves, Coreban is a tank IMO

Slab
1061 posts
7 Apr 2014 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Just to add, I don't sell boards and the dealer who gave me feedback on the Coreban used to sell them but doesn't sell Naish. I chose the Naish on my own. He gave me feedback on a range other boards he had surfed but not stocked too. If you are considering less length then Starboard Blend is a proven all rounder. I like the JP boards and they have a few longer models too which are good for flat and surf. Just think you will find the Coreban too much.....although smaller ones in their range may suit perfectly. Remember it is not just you using it?

djoblin
99 posts
9 Apr 2014 5:23AM
Thumbs Up

thats great information lenn?

In your opinion why is the Coreban a "tank"

What I have learnt is that certain boards are better for different folks, some like stability some don't. As folks progress what they like changes.

I have used the nalu in surf and really enjoyed it but would I sell it to a 90kg bloke that has never surfed and was a bit out of shape? probably not, there are better boards out there, (that is not saying that the OP is this shape).

you wouldn't be trying to sell your Nalu would you Lenn

Lenn
NSW, 173 posts
9 Apr 2014 3:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
djoblin said..

thats great information lenn?

In your opinion why is the Coreban a "tank"

What I have learnt is that certain boards are better for different folks, some like stability some don't. As folks progress what they like changes.

I have used the nalu in surf and really enjoyed it but would I sell it to a 90kg bloke that has never surfed and was a bit out of shape? probably not, there are better boards out there, (that is not saying that the OP is this shape).

you wouldn't be trying to sell your Nalu would you Lenn

Sure am (thanks for the plug), i 'stand (up)' corrected, i should re-state, the Coreban under certain / most circumstances IMO is not as 'nimble' as the Nalu, and having met the original poster i recommend that it would limit its long term usability based on the requirements (for himself and kids).

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2013 CORBAN CRUISER 11'6" x 30" x 4 5/6" started by DGA55