Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2014 10'6 Nalu, GS or GT

Created by CaptainCooked > 9 months ago, 12 Jan 2015
CaptainCooked
SA, 2 posts
12 Jan 2015 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Hey lads,

I've finally decided to buy a paddle board and after a couple of demo days and renting a few boards I've settled on the Naish Nalu 10'6. I'm now stuck deciding between the GS and GT. I've never had the chance to compare the two. Only able to try out a GS(well, the Alana).I want a board for basically a 50-50 split between waves and flat water.

I can buy a GS with carbon paddle, and cover for $1850. Or I can buy the GT w/paddle/cover for $2350.

So a few questions?

-I've always been a big believer in buy it once, buy it right and hope to keep the board for 5+years, will the carbon fibre GT last significantly longer than the GS? if so, an estimate of how long they would comparably last would be perfect.

-Is the 1kg difference in weight and construction materials noticeable once in the water? on the surf and on flat water?

-I am only an average surfer(surfed a 9'0 longboard for the last couple of years), will the difference in handling on waves effect me at all?

-Is the grip padding a factor, the GT appears to have the better grip?

-In five or six years time, would there be much disparity in resale value?

It is unlikely I will ever feel inclined to wind surf, but you never know.

Ahh, so yeah, what do you all think I should do?Thanks in advance :) (About me: Male, 20 years old, 6'1, 80kg.)

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
13 Jan 2015 12:07AM
Thumbs Up

I've always been a big believer in buy it once, buy it right and hope to keep the board for 5+years, will the carbon fibre GT last significantly longer than the GS? if so, an estimate of how long they would comparably last would be perfect. -

No diff IMO.

Is the 1kg difference in weight and construction materials noticeable once in the water? on the surf and on flat water? -

No diff IMO.. Carrying and lifting on and off the car roof is noticable.. but not by much.

I am only an average surfer(surfed a 9'0 longboard for the last couple of years), will the difference in handling on waves effect me at all? -

No diff IMO.. unless the side fins that come only on the GT help.. but I ran my GT without the side fins.

Is the grip padding a factor, the GT appears to have the better grip? -

Noticable better deck pad on the GT.

In five or six years time, would there be much disparity in resale value?

No diff IMO.

It is unlikely I will ever feel inclined to wind surf, but you never know.

No biggie..

IMO.. If you can afford it.. buy the GT.. If you can't afford the GT the GS will be fine.. Awesome board..

supthecreek
2583 posts
13 Jan 2015 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

After owning several Naish SUP's, I have found large weight differences between exact same boards.
I had one 9'5 Mana that weighed 2.5 kg more than other's... same model, same year, same construction (mine was the only one available at the time, so I bought it)

I bought my 10'6 Alana because the 10'6 Nalu available was heavier and the extra weight was in the nose... so I went Alana.

My Alana weighs 1 kg more than my friends Alana

My point... buy where there are several boards to choose from. Do side by side comps. There IS a difference, if weight matters to you.

I love my 10'6 Alana... great choice... you should love the Nalu (see my video review in the "Longboard" thread)

and I like the way it rides as a single... not sure I'd pay $500 for sidebites... add them later if you want for maybe $200

CaptainCooked
SA, 2 posts
16 Jan 2015 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Cheers Guys, appreciate the advice,
I've gone with the GS, unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on it until around 7th February, so I'm copping an extra $50 and grabbing the Alana, the grip pad and the extra three weeks of summer IMO are definitely worth it. Plus I reckon the board looks hell chill.Put the down payment on it today, going in to pick it up on Tuesday :D I'm so keen!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
16 Jan 2015 11:47PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CaptainCooked said..
Cheers Guys, appreciate the advice,
I've gone with the GS, unfortunately I couldn't get my hands on it until around 7th February, so I'm copping an extra $50 and grabbing the Alana, the grip pad and the extra three weeks of summer IMO are definitely worth it. Plus I reckon the board looks hell chill.Put the down payment on it today, going in to pick it up on Tuesday :D I'm so keen!

Nice..

Foiled
WA, 39 posts
17 Jan 2015 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hi CC.

great choice with the board purchase. Would you please post pictures and your impressions of the board once you have your new baby? I'm sure your excited!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2014 10'6 Nalu, GS or GT" started by CaptainCooked