Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Naish 14' x 30" Glide for my first board

Created by ScottySelmes > 9 months ago, 7 May 2015
ScottySelmes
QLD, 3 posts
7 May 2015 8:19PM
Thumbs Up

Gday my name is Scott first time writing on this forum. Any and all advice would be good.
A little back ground info.
36yrs old
I use to weigh 148kg.
Now 120kg and still losing weight.
I have wanted to ride a Sup for sometime. I have tried a Starboard Advanti and went well. I did find myself having to reach a fair way to the side being ofcourse due to it being 36inch wide. I found my balance was quite good. I think the reaching to the side will bug me later.

What i want to know is iam not to keen on wave riding yet. Iam more interested in fitness and traveling further. I believe the Advanti wont be suited. I would much rather more of touring board like the 2015 Naish 14' x 30" Glide which is priced well and i can see some longevity in this style. Manufacturer says 105kg rider weight. I dont know of anywhere in South East qld to try one. I know it may be harder for me at first but i would rather persist and when i get better the board will serve me longer. Any thoughts or assistance thanx in advance.

Coastie
NSW, 76 posts
7 May 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Seems like the perfect board for what you're after. Don't pay to much attention to the max rider weights that manufacturers list, there's so many variables that effect what will suit each individual.

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
7 May 2015 11:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Coastie said..
Seems like the perfect board for what you're after. Don't pay to much attention to the max rider weights that manufacturers list, there's so many variables that effect what will suit each individual.

Indeed.

I'm good bit heavier than you Scotty, I surf a 10'8 JP Fusion at 193 litres. In 14 footers I have the 14x 29" DC/NSP and a 14 x 27" Lahui Kai, I get on fine with them both.

The 30" glide will have no trouble floating you and it is as stable as a dock - I have trialled it, it's a most solid feeling 14 footer for a big bloke. You may not even need to go to that much volume - something like a 14 x 28 Starboard Allstar, the 14 x 29" Naish Glide (which is much livelier than the 14x 30 IMO) . Also look at the 14 x 29 DC/NSP, 14 x 29.75 Fanatic Falcon, there are probably others. Fin choice can also make a fair bit of difference to stability and board feel, especially for heavier paddlers.

Area10
1508 posts
7 May 2015 11:58PM
Thumbs Up

At 314 litres it should be fine for you.

But if you regularly have to carry your board far then you might want to take a close look at the weight. 37lbs takes a bit of carrying, especially in significant wind.

kikaha
QLD, 72 posts
8 May 2015 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hey scotty what part of SEQ are you in?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17416 posts
8 May 2015 8:25AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ScottySelmes said..
Gday my name is Scott first time writing on this forum. Any and all advice would be good.
A little back ground info.
36yrs old
I use to weigh 148kg.
Now 120kg and still losing weight.
I have wanted to ride a Sup for sometime. I have tried a Starboard Advanti and went well. I did find myself having to reach a fair way to the side being ofcourse due to it being 36inch wide. I found my balance was quite good. I think the reaching to the side will bug me later.

What i want to know is iam not to keen on wave riding yet. Iam more interested in fitness and traveling further. I believe the Advanti wont be suited. I would much rather more of touring board like the 2015 Naish 14' x 30" Glide which is priced well and i can see some longevity in this style. Manufacturer says 105kg rider weight. I dont know of anywhere in South East qld to try one. I know it may be harder for me at first but i would rather persist and when i get better the board will serve me longer. Any thoughts or assistance thanx in advance.

I've paddled the new 30" wide 14' Glide and it's an awesome board.. Should be perfect for a big guy (like you)..

ScottySelmes
QLD, 3 posts
8 May 2015 8:47AM
Thumbs Up

Beenleigh 20min from the goldcoast

ScottySelmes
QLD, 3 posts
8 May 2015 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

Thanx heaps guys iam going to try and find one to ride.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
8 May 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

We had a demo of this late last year but not now sorry. The 2016 Naish Demo will be rolling through Brisbane in July.

ShireSUP
NSW, 982 posts
8 May 2015 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Scotty

I had the Glide before my SICs and its awesome and will work perfectly fine for what you want to do, and it even surfs fun for those small (very small) (think runners not waves) days at the Alley when you re ready. And will be much more fun than the Avanti or the Fusion to drop kgs

You don't need to demo one you just need to BuY one!!!!

Now i happen to know this one for sale

www.seabreeze.com.au/Classifieds/StandUpPaddle-Race-and-Downwind-Boards/~tyqnj/2014-Naish-Glide-Gx-14-0-2925-inches.aspx?search=TTipMvwLkmAszgJ9fErQ!A==

When I said know, I have paddled this one as the seller is my good friend. You just have to work out how to get it to Qld

chucktheskiffie
219 posts
8 May 2015 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

I'm around 120. when i got my Jimmy Lewis M-14 i was 138kg. I fell off a lot but after he full season of downwinding (almost 3x per week) i managed to make it work for me. I still come off but not like i used to. My weight is probably too much for that board, but with a willingness to get wet i learned how to get it going.

Don't get too bogged down in the weight v volume when it comes to DW boards at this stage of your paddling life-cycle... anything for a beginner will float you just fine.

BigLump
NSW, 55 posts
8 May 2015 3:17PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Scotty I purchased my 2014 Glide (14' x 29")when I was 127 kgs, now down to 120 kgs. great board, I believe its most stable of all the 14 footers I demo'ed at the time (Fanatic, NSP, BIC).
I, like The Human Cartoon also have a JP fusion 10'8 x 34", which is a great surf style SUP for Big Lumps.

Gairfar
WA, 6 posts
12 May 2015 9:00AM
Thumbs Up

G'day Scott,

Picking up a new 2014 Glide tomorrow. (14' x 30"). I am at the Sunshine coast, welcome to give it a go if you are up this way.

Area10
1508 posts
12 May 2015 10:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sevvo said...
G'day Scott,

Picking up a new 2014 Glide tomorrow. (14' x 30"). I am at the Sunshine coast, welcome to give it a go if you are up this way.

I thought that the 14x30 was a new model for (2014-)2015, so there aren't any (2013-)2014 14x30 boards?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17416 posts
12 May 2015 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

Yes I'm thinking if it's 30'' wide it must be the 2015 version [available here in late 2014]

Gairfar
WA, 6 posts
12 May 2015 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Sorry, forgetting what year it was....

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Naish 14' x 30" Glide for my first board" started by ScottySelmes