Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

2015 Quatro SUPs

Created by DoubleO > 9 months ago, 1 Sep 2014
DoubleO
20 posts
1 Sep 2014 11:13AM
Thumbs Up

Just been told the container has landed in NZ!!!
The full range of the 2015 Quatro SUPs will be available for demo ..... will upload un-boxing pics soon!

Carve (carbon flex construction)
8'0" x 28.5" x 17.5" @100L
8'4" x 29.5" x 18.2" @120L

Glide
8'6" x 32" 19.2" @ 130L
8'8" x 33" 19.6" @ 143L
8'10" x 34" 19.9" @162
Look close.... windsurf attachment?

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
10 Sep 2014 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DoubleO said..
The full range of the 2015 Quatro SUPs will be available for demo ..... will upload un-boxing pics soon!

Glide
8'6" x 32" 19.2" @ 130L
8'8" x 33" 19.6" @ 143L
8'10" x 34" 19.9" @162

Do they take a windsurf sail?

DoubleO
20 posts
23 Sep 2014 12:14PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Yuppy said..

Do they take a windsurf sail?

Yep the full range all have an M8 mastfoot attachment

DoubleO
20 posts
23 Sep 2014 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Managed to get out on the new 2015/16 Quatro Carve 8'0 the other day..... a totally biased review.

Conditions were pretty crappy, rain, choppy cross-on winds gusting 20kn and messy 2-4ft surf, and my first surf in about 3 months so I was a little rusty.

The Carve 8'0 managed to float me without any hassles (aside from my natrual kooyness). After riding the Hokua LE 7'6 this board felt a little less stable sideways but as much more stable length ways, and paddling speed was better with less yaw.

On the wave is where this board blew away. I had a feeling that it would rip being shaped by Keith Teboul and i wasn't let down.... fast and pumpable, super loose, plenty of grip in the bottom turn and able to get fully vertical off the top with a nice slid if you want. My skill probably let the side down a bit, but I'm sure once you get tuned into the board there'd be nothing holding you back.... which I've found some other boards do, they kinda have a barrier you reach and cant push through.

Down side was probably the 100L volume when paddling into fat mushy waves.... and bit of work, my fintess and 86(ish)kgs might have something to do with that.
I felt I had to keep the board paddling otherwise primary stability was a bit wobbly... it was choppy and rippy as hell though.
Foot placement when riding, found myself too far forward and locked up the turn a couple of times.... need to get tuned in and into the right spot sooner.

Construction.
Construction and finish of the board feels and looks great, deck grip is grippy.
Anti skid on the nose is subtle but works like a dream, no more slipping off or loosing skin on Monster Grip.
Weight is good, light enough to be easy to handle, not so light that you're scared of it snapping if you look at it wrong.
New built in flex construction is sublte but noticable when turning, a surfer will know the feeling.
'Integrated Stability Deck' design is good, a nice stable platform. This design is easier to see on the higher volume boards.... some clever shaping.

Windsurfable... yep all the boards have a windsurf insert.
Fins.
Nice fins, first time I've used the FCS II system and I'm sold.... rock solid. The board comes with 5 fins for Thruster or Quad setup. Stock fins do the job nicely!
Fin setup...... aggressive. Tons of cant and loads of toe..... might have something to do with how it turns?

Bottom shape.
single concave from the the nose, progressively deeper towards the center under the paddling area, the into a deep double concave in front ot the fins, easing to single concave around the rear fins and flat in the last cm or 2.
Loads of tail kick in the back.

Do I like?
Hell yes, need to loose a few kgs and get more time on the water with it. I think the Carve 8'4" is going to be the got-to boards for a really wide range of conditions though.

lost at sea
WA, 358 posts
23 Sep 2014 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DoubleO said...

Glide
8'6" x 32" 19.2" @ 130L
8'8" x 33" 19.6" @ 143L
8'10" x 34" 19.9" @162

i'm not really a fan of the brand ,but shape is looks awesome , the out line just tells ya it's going to be so much fun

Core Boardsports
VIC, 134 posts
23 Sep 2014 9:29PM
Thumbs Up

Great review Double O ! We had a good look at them in Maui back in April and they looked awesome and weight was super impressive - couldn't get them on the water then as they were still under wraps...

our first order arriving Oct and will have all boards at Merrimbula this year with a few on demo !! Agree the 8'4 carve will be the performance board for most of us North of 85kg ... Yeeeeeaw we can't wait to get them on the water !!

supthecreek
2583 posts
24 Sep 2014 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

DO... nice review, thanks for the bottom shots!

DoubleO
20 posts
5 Oct 2014 9:25AM
Thumbs Up

Manage to get out on the carve8'4 last night... Again, a biased review but if we're gonna spend $ then we wanna make really sure eh.

2-3ft glassy with the odd bigger set.
Had the board setup with the FCS II fins as a quad.

Extra 20L volume made a huge difference in stability. Punching out through shoulder high white water was super easy. no issues with primary stability. Paddle speed was ok for an 8'4.

Paddling onto a wave was much easier than the 8'0, guess its a vol / body weight thing.
The board is fast....really really fast. Super easy to pump and generate speed to squirt around sections that would otherwise finish a ride.
Gunning down the line on faster braking waves I actually scared myself a bit with the speed it generated "can I turn at this speed"...... the answer was hell yes. Speedwise it reminded me of down the line windsurf speed... fast but controlable.

Bottom turn.
Loads of drive, very secure, sets you up perfectly for a vertical projection.

Off the top.
This is where the magic happens. Tight, fast and no loss of speed.
other boards i've ridden can sometimes tend to bog or lock up a bit off the top, you either really need to swing them around or be right in the pocket or you'll end up on your back in the water.
A couple of turns early on I thought... "here I go again, back flop".... but no. The board turned so easily that it was right under me before I knew it.... magic. It made fins free lip smacks actually doable. Im sure it wasn't the rider ;)

Turning.
On a lot of boards I've ridden you really need to nurse the board around, almost pulling it around to complete a turn. Some you need to change foot placement to get it to move. It took me a while to figure this but the Carve really doesn't like this kind of riding.
What it really likes is to be proper foot steered on to the rail, no need to foot shuffle or swing it round, its ALL in the feet.... then the concaves, agressive fin setup and rail shape SPECIALLY in the tail come into play.

What I've been looking for is one board that has all the bits I like from my old favs, Hokua 9'0 (fast, stable, handles sizey waves and bottom turns like a beast, and strong) and Hokua LE 7'6 (lightwight, loose and tight). From one 3hr session I think the Carve 8'4 might be the one.

Windoc
376 posts
6 Oct 2014 11:48AM
Thumbs Up

DoubleO,

have you ridden the old 8.6 Quatro as well? How do the new shapes compare? I thought the 8.6 was a pretty decent board, but not in the league of the windsurfing shapes with regards to performance. It seemed too wide, flat rockered, and cruisey rather than sharp and responsive. The construction was too fragile as well. Small paddle strikes would crack the thin gelcoat and water would seep in easily. I ended up going with a carbon Starboard Pro 8.0 for my 93kgs and have been very happy, but I like that the new Quatros are slimmer and possibly more rockered from what I can tell from the pics. Hopefully they've improved on the eggshell like construction from last year too. Looking forward to trying one!

DoubleO
20 posts
7 Oct 2014 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Can555 said..
DoubleO,

have you ridden the old 8.6 Quatro as well? How do the new shapes compare? I thought the 8.6 was a pretty decent board, but not in the league of the windsurfing shapes with regards to performance. It seemed too wide, flat rockered, and cruisey rather than sharp and responsive. The construction was too fragile as well. Small paddle strikes would crack the thin gelcoat and water would seep in easily. I ended up going with a carbon Starboard Pro 8.0 for my 93kgs and have been very happy, but I like that the new Quatros are slimmer and possibly more rockered from what I can tell from the pics. Hopefully they've improved on the eggshell like construction from last year too. Looking forward to trying one!

Haven't ridden to old Blue/grey models, those were from few years back?

2 year design cycle and R&D, now the new ones do have a decent amount of rocker and they're definately from the Quatro design book..... proper surf boards.

I've heard from Quatro that the new ones are made with a windsurf construction and built in flex patterns, apparently the only brand doing so? From what we've seen of them so far they are tough.
That said, we're still gonna give them a good thrashing. We'll be hitting Taranaki with them in a few weeks..... that will be the real test!

sas81
42 posts
10 Nov 2014 5:16AM
Thumbs Up

Someone ridden The Glide 8'6 allready???

DoubleO
20 posts
26 Nov 2014 5:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sas81 said..
Someone ridden The Glide 8'6 allready???

sorry not yet, been loving the Carve 8'4 waaaaaay too much.
Its the new 'go-to' board for just about all conditions..... super fun and makes you surf much better than you probably should

baldy123
WA, 389 posts
26 Nov 2014 9:17AM
Thumbs Up

Hey DoubleO,

Have you got any pics of the 8'4"?? is it just a scaled up version of the 8'0?

From your review it sounds like a good board, I just need to try and find one in WA to look at the flesh!

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
19 May 2015 2:15PM
Thumbs Up

just saw one at surf sail australia in West Leederville. look awesome. heaps of concave!

Chopsup
SA, 123 posts
19 May 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking at getting a surf sup soon and these caught my eye, just need to convince myself they're worth the dough!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"2015 Quatro SUPs" started by DoubleO