Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Best fin for 2015 GX Naish javelin .14.'footer

Created by Tardy > 9 months ago, 5 Aug 2015
Tardy
4930 posts
5 Aug 2015 6:21PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Well the board is great .have a GX javelin 14 "..stock .fin not so good .
a bit better with the 10.5 naish fin .it came with a boxie 9.5 .
thinking it would be better with a smaller one as the 10.5 feels a little draggy .
as the 10.5 is a very wide and a chunky mother .The 10.5 fin came with a 11.6 Nalu .
so I thought it would be ok .but I think this board is very sensitive to fin sizes.
wow.every board I have feels so slow now.

what size fin is ideal for a 95 kg person ,for flattish water.??
Do you use different fins for flat water and down winders ?
also is the fin better at the back of the track or front or mid,for flat water?
<div>Any idea s or past experiences appreciated .thanks tardy .

<div>Love the speed of these big boards.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
5 Aug 2015 9:48PM
Thumbs Up

Easy.. and so cheap..

Tardy
4930 posts
6 Aug 2015 5:36AM
Thumbs Up

Perfect thank you DJ.
good no screws.
nice board by the way.

Tardy
4930 posts
15 Aug 2015 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Fantastic ...the fin works a treat .love my new 14' ...you can call it a old model now .2015.its fast .fun and great exercise .
thanks for the tip DJ.

CascadesCruiser
5 posts
18 Aug 2015 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

My first post after lurking here for a few weeks and I'm not surprised that it's a question for DJ...

I'm new to SUP and will not be surfing (no breaks within a couple of hours of home) but have been paddling flat water up to 5 miles and hope to try a downwinder when the wind kicks up. I've been working on my stroke and in the right conditions I'm getting ~10 strokes/side and now I'm thinking about playing with different fins. The FCS fins without the hardware are interesting, what do you think of the FCS Touring fin on a new Glide 14 x29? It looks like cheaper alternative to the Slater Trout fin. I'd like to try a Keel fin at some point to see if I can feel the differences.

www.surffcs.com/collections/water-sports-sup

DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
18 Aug 2015 8:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hi CascadesCruiser... Welcome to the breeze..

I've not used that fin but it actually looks pretty good.. Not too upright.. Not too raked.. and not too much area in the base.. and the added bonus of being the new tool-less system.. I'm guessing the slightly wider base of the more dolphin shape like I use will offer better tracking on flat water and also better surfing in downwind conditions but that new FCS sup touring fin mignt offer slightly more stability having a little more area on the tip.. I'd guess that it will feel closer to the stock Naish Glide fin..

I might have to buy one and check it out for myself.. At that price it's not an expensive exercise..

CascadesCruiser
5 posts
19 Aug 2015 12:22AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks DJ!

At that price I'll probably give it a try too. Looking at the specs on the FCS website it looks like even the largest dolphin fin (10") has a base that is slightly smaller than the touring fin. Of course, I don't have the sensitivity to feel differences like these yet but that's why I want to start playing with different fins.

Connect GF longboard fin
CONNECT 10"Base: 7.13" / 181mm
Depth: 10.01" / 254mm
Area: 49.06" / 31653mm²
Sweep: 33.7º
Foil: 50/50

SUP Touring fin
Base: 7.23" / 183mm
Depth: 9.14" / 232mm
Area: 43.51"² / 28073mm²
Sweep: 34.2º
Foil: 50/50

DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
19 Aug 2015 2:48AM
Thumbs Up

Interesting.. because my 9'' dolphin shape appears to have a longer base than the touring fin but not so according to their specs..

I'm still keen to try the new touring fin..

Area10
1508 posts
19 Aug 2015 7:21AM
Thumbs Up

CascadesCruiser said...
My first post after lurking here for a few weeks and I'm not surprised that it's a question for DJ...

I'm new to SUP and will not be surfing (no breaks within a couple of hours of home) but have been paddling flat water up to 5 miles and hope to try a downwinder when the wind kicks up. I've been working on my stroke and in the right conditions I'm getting ~10 strokes/side and now I'm thinking about playing with different fins. The FCS fins without the hardware are interesting, what do you think of the FCS Touring fin on a new Glide 14 x29? It looks like cheaper alternative to the Slater Trout fin. I'd like to try a Keel fin at some point to see if I can feel the differences.

www.surffcs.com/collections/water-sports-sup

That's a good all-round fin that I recommend to people on a budget who want and all-rounder for both flat water and ocean paddling. They do a plastic version which is very cheap indeed and as far as I can tell works just as well as the glass one and is more durable and is lighter.

Area10
1508 posts
19 Aug 2015 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Carvers said...
Like this fin too on my 14 feet Aqua Inc. Supersonic: http://www.futuresfins.com.au/keel-large-thermo-tech . Many strokes at one side.

That's a great fin for flat water. I have both the expensive carbon and the plastic super-cheap versions and can't really tell much difference except that I get paranoid about damaging the beautiful carbon one...

This is another fin that I recommend to people. But for inland flat water only. It isn't great in most boards in the ocean mainly because it is wider than it is deep. I think it is best for shallow inland waters, especially if there is weed, and you aren't going to be doing lots of buoy turns.

baddog
256 posts
20 Aug 2015 12:41AM
Thumbs Up

Make sure to get the new FCS II version of the Touring fin. The FCS II "Connect" is awesome and box fit is much better then the original screw tab fin. DJ should be all over this one.

This is an my go to fin for my Red Sport 11' and fits perfect in my oversized inflatable box. For rocky shallow areas, I'll switch to the Futures TP Keel, but you might want to wait on this one as well. It's coming in a super flexible PU construction, the RFD Keel Fin. Check it out at:

Can't wait to get a RedFish!

Carvers
132 posts
20 Aug 2015 2:00AM
Thumbs Up

Area10 said..

Carvers said...
Like this fin too on my 14 feet Aqua Inc. Supersonic: http://www.futuresfins.com.au/keel-large-thermo-tech . Many strokes at one side.

That's a great fin for flat water. I have both the expensive carbon and the plastic super-cheap versions and can't really tell much difference except that I get paranoid about damaging the beautiful carbon one...

This is another fin that I recommend to people. But for inland flat water only. It isn't great in most boards in the ocean mainly because it is wider than it is deep. I think it is best for shallow inland waters, especially if there is weed, and you aren't going to be doing lots of buoy turns.

You are completely right, I use it for flat water too. I have a Makani for deeper water and use the Makani also for flat water. It's a somewhat more expensive and heavier fin, but not as fragile as the carbon ones: Makani Race, www.makanifins.com/products/kawa-stand-up-paddle-sup-race-weed-fins

Saltydog888
NSW, 4 posts
23 Aug 2015 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Hi DJ
Where can I purchase this fin? Had a look on line - couldn't find one.

thanks
Salty

DavidJohn
VIC, 17417 posts
23 Aug 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Saltydog888 said..
Hi DJ
Where can I purchase this fin? Had a look on line - couldn't find one.

thanks
Salty

I bought mine from the Zu boardsports at St Kilda.. here in Melbourne..

I'm sure every surf shop sells FCS fins so any of those should be able to order one in and it shouldn't take long..

I used mine today in my 12'6" Glide.. It's so easy to swap from board to board..

805StandUp
128 posts
18 Nov 2015 6:51AM
Thumbs Up

Hey all--

Greetings from Southern California! I just made the plunge and joined Seabreeze. I bought a 2015 Javelin GX x28 (my second Naish) as a single solution for race/downwind/open ocean conditions early this year and would be remiss to not mention that DJ's videos and all of your feedback was partly responsible for the purchase so I hope that Naish takes care of DJ well. I have really enjoyed the board and came across this thread when trying to figure out what fin I should buy to better handle the Seaweed in the local area. I do mostly Open Ocean Paddling on the Javelin and am planning to get into some downwind runs soon here.

At the price, I couldn't resist and just placed my order for this fin. A few questions:
1) Interesting that after all the talk about specific Gladiator Hybrid, Makani, etc. fins with previous Javelin boards, the group seems to be coming to this reasonably priced dolphin longboard fin for the 2015 Javelin? Am I reading it correctly that this fin is a reasonable alternative to race-specific fins for open ocean conditions given the better stability of the current Javelin?
2) How does the rake on this fin handle Seaweed?
3) Is there any reason to consider the Performance Glass version of this fin?

Andrew

Kierannq
QLD, 150 posts
18 Nov 2015 2:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
805StandUp said..
Hey all--

Greetings from Southern California! I just made the plunge and joined Seabreeze. I bought a 2015 Javelin GX x28 (my second Naish) as a single solution for race/downwind/open ocean conditions early this year and would be remiss to not mention that DJ's videos and all of your feedback was partly responsible for the purchase so I hope that Naish takes care of DJ well. I have really enjoyed the board and came across this thread when trying to figure out what fin I should buy to better handle the Seaweed in the local area. I do mostly Open Ocean Paddling on the Javelin and am planning to get into some downwind runs soon here.

At the price, I couldn't resist and just placed my order for this fin. A few questions:
1) Interesting that after all the talk about specific Gladiator Hybrid, Makani, etc. fins with previous Javelin boards, the group seems to be coming to this reasonably priced dolphin longboard fin for the 2015 Javelin? Am I reading it correctly that this fin is a reasonable alternative to race-specific fins for open ocean conditions given the better stability of the current Javelin?
3) Is there any reason to consider the Performance Glass version of this fin?

Andrew

Hi, I know Bugger all about fins, but I wanted a fin to help with tracking on my board and DJ suggested I get the cheap black version, which I did, I use it in ocean and river paddling, the river is very very weedy and im yet to have it catch any weed, so I believe the rake on this fin is great at handling the weed issue.

For someone of my knowledge I have no idea what the difference in the glass version would be, but I have no complaints with the cheaper black one.

baddog
256 posts
25 Dec 2015 1:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
805StandUp said..

It doesn't. Ever hit a patch of kelp surfing with a standard dolphin longboard fin? Ditto for this one.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Best fin for 2015 GX Naish javelin .14.'footer" started by Tardy