Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Dave Kalama review Imagine 10-2 x 32 -167 L

Created by Piros > 9 months ago, 22 Dec 2014
Piros
QLD, 6868 posts
22 Dec 2014 7:22AM
Thumbs Up

This is a pretty interesting board , plenty of foam under your feet but it still surfs.

Check out Dave's review here.

SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Dec 2014 7:49AM
Thumbs Up

If you're looking for a first board or allrounder this board is amazing, one of the best surfing boards of its size. Thanks for the vid Rob

PottyMullet
NSW, 92 posts
3 Jan 2015 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone know how the Icon might compare to the JP Fusion 10'2" as they both seem to have similar specs?

I have not ridden the Fusion but it seems that the stepped rail is good by others accounts for manoeuvrability.

Also curious about the handle. IMO boards produced these days without a ledge or lift style handle is behind the times. Any feedback would be appreciated

SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Jan 2015 9:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PottyMullet said..
Anyone know how the Icon might compare to the JP Fusion 10'2" as they both seem to have similar specs?

I have not ridden the Fusion but it seems that the stepped rail is good by others accounts for manoeuvrability.

Also curious about the handle. IMO boards produced these days without a ledge or lift style handle is behind the times. Any feedback would be appreciated

Yes the two are virtually the same size, the Icon is slightly more "surfy"
Both are ledge handles and same construction.

adssup
NSW, 60 posts
4 Jan 2015 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Has anyone paddled one of these yet? It looks like it might be what I'm looking for.

SurfFX
QLD, 479 posts
Site Sponsor
4 Jan 2015 1:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
adssup said..
Has anyone paddled one of these yet? It looks like it might be what I'm looking for.

Come in and demo one. We have a demo 9'6 and 10'2 Icon ready to go.

adssup
NSW, 60 posts
4 Jan 2015 2:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'm in Gladstone so will have to plan a trip down for a weekend.

Burndo
WA, 91 posts
22 Feb 2015 9:05PM
Thumbs Up

I pawed one in a shop for an hour or so - was so tempted to take it to replace my big board/small wave cruiser as it really does look like the perfect all-round shape. Heavy by modern standards - but not excessively so. A relatively fast looking rockerline, but with really nice volume distribution - quite fine in the nose and tail, so it shouldn't freak out on those small days when the odd bigger "set of the day" comes through.
BUT - I just couldn't get why the kick-pad is so far forward. I'm 99% sure I'd end up having to cut it off and put another one 6"or so back - just in front of the leggy plug. Very few longer (actually any length) SUPs with a 2+1 fin setup seem to turn effectively without your back foot at least over the rear fin and this board effectively is set-up to stop you getting your foot back there. It just looks like they didn't think this through, or have the right people turn up to supervise at the factory - which made me worry about what else they didn't iron out before going into production. I also try to avoid FCS wherever possible, so have a big stash of Futures and only one measly set of FCS TC Redlines left. At nearly 110kg, they often used to snap out of my surfboards in turns which is pretty annoying - especially at spots which are 20 minutes or more back to the carpark.
Anyone ridden an Icon in the surf???

supthecreek
2582 posts
22 Feb 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a nice board along the lines of the Mana..... just a bit confused why he would use the name "Icon"? That name has a long history with Coreban: 10' "Icon"

Burndo
WA, 91 posts
22 Feb 2015 11:19PM
Thumbs Up

Outline-wise it's similar I suppose, but there were Manas on the rack next to these and one glance told me they were way too thick and corky looking to work in anything but small/gutless waves. They look like they are designed with standing being a lot more of a priority than surfing. The Imagine looked like it was designed for surfing - but then finished with general paddling in mind.

Piros
QLD, 6868 posts
23 Feb 2015 11:07AM
Thumbs Up

I got to spend a bit of time with Dave Kalama when he was over here and his whole empathises is making his boards surf but be still comfortable to stand on , he is not one to go out and struggle on a small board and you can really see that in his shapes.

Burndo
WA, 91 posts
23 Feb 2015 11:25AM
Thumbs Up

I wish he made a bigger 'Impact' then. I like the shape, but the 9'8x29"x131L would be too wobbly for me even without a hangover. At 6'4 and nearly 110kg I'm a big boy, but by no means a freak. Most of the windsurfing companies have finally realised that big fellas need high performance gear too (and often might also be big as they're a bit older - so they might actually have more $$$ to spend than lightweight rippers in their early 20's). I understand the company behind Imagine is the sailmaker Neil Pryde which has been involved in windsurfing for yonks, so it's odd that Imagine seem to be amongst the SUP makers that haven't.
Kalama is a legend though.

Piros
QLD, 6868 posts
23 Feb 2015 3:04PM
Thumbs Up

Burndo you may be in luck , you won't see it this year but I have been pushing for a 10-0 or 10-2 impact that I can compete on in the over 10-0 class. It's taking awhile but the 10-0 class is gathering legs. The board will be a larger version of the 9-8 Impact and stay 29 wide.

Burndo
WA, 91 posts
23 Feb 2015 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet....but frustrating that I keep hearing of new sizes/models for "later this year" when the start of prime season here is really only weeks away!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Dave Kalama review Imagine 10-2 x 32 -167 L" started by Piros