Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Fanatic Prowave 9'2" 2015?

Created by Zeusman > 9 months ago, 11 Jan 2015
Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
11 Jan 2015 7:17PM
Thumbs Up

Had anyone ridden one yet? Would love to know how it goes and compares to other boards of similar size like JP Surf 9'2", Starby Pro 9'0" etc...

SUPbru
386 posts
16 Jan 2015 2:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..
Had anyone ridden one yet? Would love to know how it goes and compares to other boards of similar size like JP Surf 9'2", Starby Pro 9'0" etc...

Hey Zeusman, did you ever get any feedback re the Fanatic Prowave 9'2 vs the JP Surf 9'2? Cheers

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
16 Jan 2015 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SUPing said..

Zeusman said..

Hey Zeusman, did you ever get any feedback re the Fanatic Prowave 9'2 vs the JP Surf 9'2? Cheers

Not really mate. I owned the JP and actually regret moving it on. It was probably the best fitting board for me I've ever come across. Anyways, not one to stuff around, i jumped in feet first and bought a Fanatic. Haven't had a decent wave yet but it does feel good under foot. Nice and stable, takes a couple of strokes to get it going but once you are moving it paddles in nice and early, just like the JP. The hull shape is like nothing I've ever seen and I'm yet to decide if that is a good or bad thing. There is a slight single right at the entry, which very suddenly and dramatically changes into a big double still in the entry area. When you run a straight edge over it, its like a big hump..... Weird....Its probably the reason it takes a couple of strokes to get moving initially.... The double then carries right through the board and then it goes flat in the tail area..... Again.... Weird... As i said though, i still haven't had a decent wave on it yet so I'm not ready to pass judgement. The 2-3ft closeouts i did manage to catch the other day was inspiring. It was responsive and did exactly what i asked of it, which was a good thing, as all those waves offered me was half a bottom turn before setting a rail, couple of pumps to get it going before having to eject over the lip as it was clamping down. Will report back again once I've had a decent surf.

SUPbru
386 posts
16 Jan 2015 2:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..

SUPing said..

Zeusman said..

Not really mate. I owned the JP and actually regret moving it on. It was probably the best fitting board for me I've ever come across. Anyways, not one to stuff around, i jumped in feet first and bought a Fanatic. Haven't had a decent wave yet but it does feel good under foot. Nice and stable, takes a couple of strokes to get it going but once you are moving it paddles in nice and early, just like the JP. The hull shape is like nothing I've ever seen and I'm yet to decide if that is a good or bad thing. There is a slight single right at the entry, which very suddenly and dramatically changes into a big double still in the entry area. When you run a straight edge over it, its like a big hump..... Weird....Its probably the reason it takes a couple of strokes to get moving initially.... The double then carries right through the board and then it goes flat in the tail area..... Again.... Weird... As i said though, i still haven't had a decent wave on it yet so I'm not ready to pass judgement. The 2-3ft closeouts i did manage to catch the other day was inspiring. It was responsive and did exactly what i asked of it, which was a good thing, as all those waves offered me was half a bottom turn before setting a rail, couple of pumps to get it going before having to eject over the lip as it was clamping down. Will report back again once I've had a decent surf.

Cheers bud. I just want to make sure I've considered all decent brands around the 9'x30"x130l sizing before I pull the trigger on the JP & I for some reason, the Fanatic Pro slipped through the radar. Am I correct in thinking the only thing that's changed between the '14 & '15 JP Surf Pro 9'2 is is the graphics?

Antho
VIC, 508 posts
16 Jan 2015 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

This is not quite on topic but a friend of mine
rode the 2015 8'3 Allwave and he hasn't stopped
Raving about it.
I reckon the new 8"5 at 135 litres
would definitely be worth a demo.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
16 Jan 2015 5:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SUPing said..

Zeusman said..

SUPing said..

Zeusman said..

Cheers bud. I just want to make sure I've considered at all decent brands around the 9'x30"x130l sizing before I pull the trigger on the JP & I for some reason, the Fanatic Pro slipped through the radar. Am I correct in thinking the only thing that's changed between the '14 & '15 JP Surf Pro 9'2 is is the graphics?

Yes. Only change is the graphic.

SUPbru
386 posts
16 Jan 2015 4:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Antho said..
This is not quite on topic but a friend of mine
rode the 2015 8'3 Allwave and he hasn't stopped
Raving about it.
I reckon the new 8"5 at 135 litres
would definitely be worth a demo.

Thanks Antho...for some reason I'm always a sucker for punishment & I've already got a 10'6 Laird x32"x150l which I love so I want my next board to be the polar opporiste....within reason.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
16 Jan 2015 8:17PM
Thumbs Up

One thing I'm very sceptical of on this board, is the centre fin box position. It is WAAAAAY back. Much further than I've ever seen on a board with fixed position rather than a longboard box. Not quite sure about it

supthecreek
2582 posts
17 Jan 2015 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Zeus... I checked the finbox set up 2015 vs my 2014... looks to be the same placement.

I run mine as a thruster most of the time and really like the way it handles.... tight turns with very solid drive.

Ashmullet
NSW, 282 posts
18 Jan 2015 5:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Zeusman said..
One thing I'm very sceptical of on this board, is the centre fin box position. It is WAAAAAY back. Much further than I've ever seen on a board with fixed position rather than a longboard box. Not quite sure about it [/quote

Myself I like fins way back but that also means you really need your back foot close to the tail pad,here is my tip I use two bigger Side fins and a smaller centre fin (2x al merick 2 large fins in the sides and an al merick 1 in the centre )I love that set up as the waves get bigger I just run 3x am2 large fins.I run the same set up on the 9'10 gun as well works a treat in the bigger stuff

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
18 Jan 2015 8:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Ashmullet said...
Zeusman said..
One thing I'm very sceptical of on this board, is the centre fin box position. It is WAAAAAY back. Much further than I've ever seen on a board with fixed position rather than a longboard box. Not quite sure about it [/quote

Myself I like fins way back but that also means you really need your back foot close to the tail pad,here is my tip I use two bigger Side fins and a smaller centre fin (2x al merick 2 large fins in the sides and an al merick 1 in the centre )I love that set up as the waves get bigger I just run 3x am2 large fins.I run the same set up on the 9'10 gun as well works a treat in the bigger stuff

Thanx mate

Have you tried the 9'2" as a quad? I have the 9'10" also but haven't ridden it yet. Any feedback on that one?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
20 Jan 2015 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Just came in from my first surf decent surf on the 9'2".

Very impressed!! Stoked!!!

I bought a set of Firewire quads the other day and have been waiting patiently for some surf able waves to start coming through at Bondi. This afternoon the wind eased off just enough so that it was cross off shore with a bit of ruffle and chop. Paddling out the board felt very stable and popped over the whitewash with ease. Due to the usual crowds in the arvo, it took around half an hour until i managed to pick off a head high right hander. The board paddled in beautifully but as i took the drop and sussed the section ahead, it began to shut down. I really didn't think i had a chance of making it but i put down a big wide bottom turn, thinking id run out of speed and get taken out by the foam, but as the rail engaged the board just kept accelerating around the broken section and set me up beautifully for the next part of the wave. I let the board drift up a bit into the pocket before dropping down into another bottom turn, shot back up the face and hit the lip with a tail slide, straight back down the face and repeat. The wave then fattened up but the board just kept flying along without any coaxing until i reached the inside section. A couple of pumps and smacked the lip one last time as the wave shut down on the shore. WOW!!! I paddled back out quite pleased with myself and the performance of my Nascar looking red rocket and had another hour and a half of fun.

This board fits me like a glove. I don't use this word but, its SICK!!!

Slab
1060 posts
20 Jan 2015 9:31PM
Thumbs Up

Better than the JP or just as good?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
21 Jan 2015 4:33AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said...
Better than the JP or just as good?

Well it's only been one surf so far. I do like the fact that you have the option to go quad. Something that JP lacks. I get the feeling that after a couple more sessions I could be saying that yes, I find it better.

SUPbru
386 posts
21 Jan 2015 5:07AM
Thumbs Up

Nice work Zeusman - sounds like a blast!

Slab
1060 posts
10 Feb 2015 3:16AM
Thumbs Up

You had the board out a few more times? Interested to hear a bit more how it compares to the JP?

cbigsup
454 posts
14 Feb 2015 9:23AM
Thumbs Up

Zman - Have you had any more sessions on that bad boy. Am also curious how it compares to your old JP?
Cheers,
Cleveland

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
14 Feb 2015 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

Haven't been out at all I'm sad to report. Absolute rubbish banks all around Sydney lately.

Slab
1060 posts
26 Feb 2015 3:11AM
Thumbs Up

was going to ask.....you know the JP Surf very well.....do they both have similar rockers or does the Pro-wave have a little less?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
28 Feb 2015 2:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said...
was going to ask.....you know the JP Surf very well.....do they both have similar rockers or does the Pro-wave have a little less?

Not sure to be honest. I've had a couple more sessions on it in pretty crappy waves and what I can confirm is that in the lineup, the JP would be more stable. The Fanatic is stable, but moves about quite a bit in a messy lineup which I think may he due to the complicated bottom shape. So it's not as comfy in a wobbly lineup, but in a wave I'd still put the Fanatic above the JP. Still waiting for a nice clean session.

AkeG
132 posts
28 Feb 2015 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

I had the 9'6" Prowave for a year and the 9'6" JP Surf for a long session.

I agree with Zeusman the Prowave was much less stable than the JP both getting out and standing out back in the chop. In my case it had to do with the big thick rails, and V bottom that starts at almost the nose and the unnecessary added volume 153 liters of the Fanatic. I lost a bit of weight and the corky feeling was magnified.

I'll take it further than that by adding that feeling was there on the wave as well when sinking a rail and transitioning in turns.

In all respects I preferred the JP's more parallel railed outline and thinner, more refined rails. Also, the JP had a flatter concave into a flat mid section which I felt made it much faster down the line and in no way hindered it's ability to go rail to rail quickly.

Prowave had more of a turned-up scoop nose than the JP which had a more progressive nose lift starting further back and overall less nose rocker. Both had good tail rocker.

I'd have love to have kept the JP but the first one I got had a leaky ledge handle and it's replacement arrived with a damaged nose so I moved on. I think JP makes very well designed boards but may have some quality control issues in production

Slab
1060 posts
28 Feb 2015 10:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AkeG said..
I had the 9'6" Prowave for a year and the 9'6" JP Surf for a long session.

I agree with Zeusman the Prowave was much less stable than the JP both getting out and standing out back in the chop. In my case it had to do with the big thick rails, and V bottom that starts at almost the nose and the unnecessary added volume 153 liters of the Fanatic. I lost a bit of weight and the corky feeling was magnified.

I'll take it further than that by adding that feeling was there on the wave as well when sinking a rail and transitioning in turns.

In all respects I preferred the JP's more parallel railed outline and thinner, more refined rails. Also, the JP had a flatter concave into a flat mid section which I felt made it much faster down the line and in no way hindered it's ability to go rail to rail quickly.

Prowave had more of a turned-up scoop nose than the JP which had a more progressive nose lift starting further back and overall less nose rocker. Both had good tail rocker.

I'd have love to have kept the JP but the first one I got had a leaky ledge handle and it's replacement arrived with a damaged nose so I moved on. I think JP makes very well designed boards but may have some quality control issues in production

Sound like you had bad luck on the JP's. Mine has been fine from day 1 so no issues there. I opted for a JL Stun Gun....would have been the JP otherwise.

AkeG
132 posts
28 Feb 2015 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah Slab....my JP Surf Wide Body 8'8" is perfect no issues. The nose with the replacement board I mentioned was weird as the box was in good shape but who knows?

So which size Stun Gun you get or did you answer that one on the other board?

Slab
1060 posts
28 Feb 2015 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AkeG said..
Yeah Slab....my JP Surf Wide Body 8'8" is perfect no issues. The nose with the replacement board I mentioned was weird as the box was in good shape but who knows?

So which size Stun Gun you get or did you answer that one on the other board?

9 7 on the other

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Fanatic Prowave 9'2" 2015?" started by Zeusman