Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Imossible's express 7'11" 26" 92 liters

Created by Kami > 9 months ago, 21 May 2015
Kami
1566 posts
21 May 2015 4:45AM
Thumbs Up

Expecting to get some waves in Bali next.
This diagram shows a good volumes repartition so i will focus on width balance of 26". Doable on perfect Indo conditions
Any opinions about this project, please

Jacksboards
VIC, 181 posts
22 May 2015 10:56PM
Thumbs Up

This board looks great.!!!!

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
23 May 2015 12:59AM
Thumbs Up

Hi
Looks good but I think you need to focus on the rails now - a fine balance between a hard edge from the end of the tail up to the channel flyers and then an increase in edge to tucked under edge that blends into a nice soft / tucked under round rail at the nose (and quite thin around the nose but still round) - take a look at the Sunova Speeed rails to get a clear picture :-)

Kami
1566 posts
23 May 2015 3:13PM
Thumbs Up

You right John because since i saw the last video of Sunova, that board did impressed me because this board is completing many boxes of my canon of beauties about surfboard. So i melt again lines of my drawing, also putting back all memories of the best board i had owned and demo with a touch of this Sunova with rails ( dont forget Sunova hips ) as you described. As well as a bottom shape soft belly in the nose, mono concave to double concave share in a vee by less of the last 2 foot blended in 6 channels.
This kind of bottom shape is coming from the board have been shaped by AB that had been described once to me by Gary Elkerton when we shared waves here almost 30 years ago. I'm sure that channels bottom can work good on SUP board because paddle used help to bury tail and rails.
As a libra, I'm very hard to make any decision of surfboard options throughout the millions of design doable so thank you for both replies Jack and John
Below can be the quiver of two boards : 7'11" 26" 100liters and a 7'27" 84 liters i will bring to demo at Impossible's on my forehand
Please what do you think about these 2 ones

Kami
1566 posts
23 May 2015 5:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Johndesu said..
Hi
Looks good but I think you need to focus on the rails now - a fine balance between a hard edge from the end of the tail up to the channel flyers and then an increase in edge to tucked under edge that blends into a nice soft / tucked under round rail at the nose (and quite thin around the nose but still round) - take a look at the Sunova Speeed rails to get a clear picture :-)

A last work on rail up to your good prescription and a last glance to Sunova Speed board
Hoops , forget to say those 2 boards are geared with AB2 fins plugged in with FCS

JeanG
161 posts
23 May 2015 9:09PM
Thumbs Up

Well you asked for opinions I hope you don't hate mine :)

For Indo, I'd want more rocker and maybe extend the nose a bit. Yes you want to keep it short, but the length is really about the outline. If you take the outline of a 8'6 and chop the nose off, its still going to surf like an 8'6. So I say either lengthen the nose or move the wide point back and adjust the outline to be less parallel. Basically, this board is what I'd take as my inspiration: rjsurf.com/rj-surfboards/triton/ It is the best I've ever ridden in good hollow waves.

Kami
1566 posts
24 May 2015 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

JeanG said..
Well you asked for opinions I hope you don't hate mine :)

For Indo, I'd want more rocker and maybe extend the nose a bit. Yes you want to keep it short, but the length is really about the outline. If you take the outline of a 8'6 and chop the nose off, its still going to surf like an 8'6. So I say either lengthen the nose or move the wide point back and adjust the outline to be less parallel. Basically, this board is what I'd take as my inspiration: rjsurf.com/rj-surfboards/triton/ It is the best I've ever ridden in good hollow waves.

Thanks to your opinion
I have to say that this 7' is made for waves under 3/4 foot in not too gnarly reef. I'm too old to stand the beat and my head to fragile to attempt and miss one late take off head first on the reef
I stick your favorite onto my 7' If this board like your favorite scaled up at 7'7" . So I'm watching differences you are right to spot on and you reckon to be better in Indo waves . To follow your opinion Yes I might take out some flyer from mine.
About rocker . I still stick to my position for this 7' because this Vangard nose get a lot of glide to avoid digging down bottom turn and as well due to wide point further back got front foot releasing pressure out of the nose with a bit of help from the paddle lean back. I reckon to surf my kind more than a shortboard than your pointed nose still very "gunny" to my opinion.
Jean G, i will take your positon only about my 7'11" pointed nose like your favorite. I will be reconsidering it as a gunny pointed nose later on .
Thank you again to make me think further in.

Here my last refined work design up what John said about rails.

Kami
1566 posts
26 May 2015 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'm so glad to show you what I drawn for my next trip which I've been waiting so long for.
Hand job would not blend concave to channel shapes as numeric can do, need time to draw it . Yellow is deep concave , blue is flat and red convex shape...

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
26 May 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kami
I really like the look & design of your board - what are the final diamentions now ? & do you intent to use it as an a general all rounder eg. up to 5ft ?:-)

Kami
1566 posts
27 May 2015 6:27AM
Thumbs Up

Hi John, thanks to reply me. so here the final dimension. I send this file to CNC provider today expecting the shaped blank in few days.
To reply to your question about its purpose, I dont understand really what's mean " eg.", if I'm wondering right this board is made to surf down the line not too heavy waves as this place here under 5" foot .

About final dimensions : just a minimum doable dimensions to my 77 kg fitted and better shape expected after some nasigoreng diet .Expecting not to much offshore to paddle easier as possible into the wave , paddling back out proned.

If I get time before my leaving, want to do a larger one pointed nose, what do you reckon about prescription.

Johndesu
NSW, 549 posts
27 May 2015 2:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Kami
eg. - means for example - you will want to use/surf your board for all waves up to about 5ft, and your dimensions of 7'11" x 26" x about 3.5 to 4" = 92 Lts appears to be pretty good - also I think the rails should not be too thick / fat. As for a more pointed nose larger version I think the outline should have a bit more curve in the rail line but you can not think about it until you try / surf this one and then think about a similar comparison that you can then start thinking about :-)

JeanG
161 posts
27 May 2015 5:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Kami,

Am curious. Could you overlay my board and yours such that they are equal and even at their widest points?

Kami
1566 posts
29 May 2015 2:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JeanG said..
Hey Kami,

Am curious. Could you overlay my board and yours such that they are equal and even at their widest points?

Your curiosity is very objective JeanG ,

Because you ask for the meanest purpose to do square shape which is, to pull back the widest point of the outline .IMO

So I overlay your board tail from tail which seems to me more effective whatever comparisons might be . Its size would be 7'9",widest point at 118cm from tail. mine is 108cm . This make 10 cm of difference and still enough rail length to stand fast down the line and being loose too to do reentry.

I reckon that doing square shape is NOT chopping off the pointed nose of the normal board. There is some more work on rocker also

What is your thinkings about

JeanG
161 posts
29 May 2015 2:28PM
Thumbs Up

My board is 7'6x26, so I thought that matching up the widest point would be interesting. But maybe it'd be easier to see if we line up by length? The width in the photo is a bit fuzzy, so length would probably be easier?

I feel like it would be interesting to look at at least. I am not sure what the point of it all is, but I still think it'd be cool :)

Kami
1566 posts
31 May 2015 12:31AM
Thumbs Up

Whatever the point of it is, here is the photo superposed on drawing of my board. Problem is if I zoom on your board length at 7'6" the width is not at 26". Please note that grid is 2" sides . So the board on photo is not similar to yours, probably as I pictured at first up here like at least 7'9".
Even if fuzzy photo is I still reckon that widest point on a pointed nose shape is much pull to the nose than squared shape does. Which is the prime advantage of it.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Imossible's express 7'11" 26" 92 liters" started by Kami