Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Ridden the Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue 10'1"?

Created by linter > 9 months ago, 5 Nov 2014
cbigsup
454 posts
21 Nov 2014 2:56AM
Thumbs Up

Here ya go Tang - 10' x 26" x 3.5" 14lbs. of Dave Daum Crocodile magic!

subber
71 posts
30 Nov 2014 2:56AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said..

linter said..
update: my local surf shop just became a JL dealer (thanks to my whining about it). i'll have a 10-1 B&B to demo next week. hope it ain't too light!

Look forward to a write up

Hey Linter....did you ever get to demo the Black & Blue?

linter
223 posts
30 Nov 2014 7:44AM
Thumbs Up

sadly, the board arrived and no swell came with it and then i had to move to san diego for the winter, so i won't get a chance to ride the thing until around april. cwap!

subber
71 posts
30 Nov 2014 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
linter said..
sadly, the board arrived and no swell came with it and then i had to move to san diego for the winter, so i won't get a chance to ride the thing until around april. cwap!

Such a bummer...
...not the part about having to move to San Diego for the winter.

Well, I guess Dave Daum and Kings are in SD county;
you'll probably get to try one (or more) of his noseriders!
I've never tried one, but I've read many times how good they are.

Slab
1063 posts
30 Nov 2014 7:55PM
Thumbs Up

Just seen a vid properly showing the thinned out tail, rails etc of the Black and White.....nice!

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
1 Dec 2014 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbigsup said..

Wow, looks good! Thanks for that cbigsup
cheers

Funnsurfn
NSW, 310 posts
1 Dec 2014 11:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cbigsup said..

Looks really fun.

linter
223 posts
15 Feb 2015 1:11AM
Thumbs Up

just thought i'd update this thread with a report on the JL B&B 10-2 noserider i posted on the standupzone a few days ago.

day 1

Firstly, it's the slowest paddling board i've ever been on. I mean, I'm leaning on my paddle and can barely get the thing to move. Really odd at first (like so many things about this SUP) but then I kind of got used to it. Ain't no fast-paddling way to scratch over sneaker sets, however. luckily, today, the sneakers were all of 3' if that.
2nd: if it's slow to paddle, it's even slower on the wave. So slow I couldn't figure out how to even turn the thing at first. Then I realized the only way I could get it around was to stomp on the tail (lots of tail rocker) and pivot turn it. managed that a few times. you won't be doing any turns on the rail with this board, i don't think.
3nd: nose is almost dead flat. i'm used to flat noses, so i'm good with how it is, though i did pearl once in front of some snickering proners.
4th: everything changes once you get on the front third of the board. everything.
5th: it just speeds the heck up and more or less on its own finds its way to above the top half of the wave.
6th: i got pretty close to having five over a number of times, and the thing won't pearl. it just blazes forward. and if it needs to drop down to make a section, it will. it did this twice with me just standing in front of the comp stripe line with a stupid grin on my face. board woggled down and around, came back up and got itself reset.
7th: i got some very long rides, longer than i think i'd have gotten on my 10-6 laird.
8th: it handles the soup very well, probably because of the 50/50 rails.
9th: it comes with a 13" fin. I rode the board with that fin first, but I was so frustrated with not being able to turn that I swapped it out for a 9-3/4" Geenough 4A. Much better. But a little squirrelly at times. Need to experiment a little.

Near as I can tell, this board is not an all arounder that noserides. It is a noserider, plain and simple. I don't even think I'll be able to carve it down the line, though maybe with time I'll figure it out.
I think a lot of the oddities about the shape have to do with the concave. And Jimmy does make this model with the regular nose, though it wasn't in stock. Don't know whether i'd like it better or not, if only because I don't know how many of its positive attributes as a NRer are due solely to the concave.
In all, I obviously love the way the board works on the front 1/3. Perhaps more time will allow me to figure out how to better deal with its various quirks.
I still can't believe how slow it is to paddle and how slow it is on the wave until you step up. Never experienced anything quite like it. Very interesting!

day 2. crappy little closeouts at la jolla shores. even so, i had a ton of fun on the jimmy. it's still snail slow to paddle around on, but since it was beach break, i took off at an angle standing 2/3 of the way forward, so i didn't have to turn and i was in the sweet spot from the get go.
what i really like about this board is how stable it is going around little sections and how easily it lifts itself back up into the pocket. i gotta think this is because of the 50/50 rails. nothing catches or hangs up.

---------------

If anyone here owns this board and has any suggestions re riding technique and/or fin size, feel free to weigh in!

Pinkbudha
NSW, 8 posts
28 Mar 2015 1:56AM
Thumbs Up

Bought a 2nd hand 9'6 B&B for the wife to use on flat stuff, knowing full well it will also keep me busy in the small swell.The wife does use it from time to time and loves the ease of movement on the flat water for her 65kgs, I weigh in @ 95kgs and have fallen in love with this thing. It's become the most used board I own (1 of 4). Was ready to accept it as the wife's board the 1st few rides, then I worked it out and want to kick the wife out of bed and sleep with my B&B. The wood chock fin is excellent in holding a stable line and keeping it slow, but does feel a little excessive. I switched it for an FCS 9' soulflex cut away type fin, perfect, holds the line to allow for a forward march, and still loose enough to draw your lines on the back foot. It does however slip a little at crawling speeds as the soulflex works better with speed. The fin switch happens occasionally as the standard ' keel feel' is pretty awsome even though it does have a 1 track agenda, it's a dam good one.
Keepin the thread alive......

Slab
1063 posts
28 Mar 2015 2:51AM
Thumbs Up

I hope to be getting my Striker later in April so will let you know how that noserides.

linter
223 posts
28 Mar 2015 3:29AM
Thumbs Up

Pink: "The wood chock fin " -- what's that?!?

I've been riding my B&B with a 9.5 old-school Sparky fin and kind of dig it. Meanwhile, like you, I'd sleep with my B&B and nuzzle her all night long, if i could. I love the darn thing -- especially how, when you step out of the dead zone in the middle and onto the front 1/3, it takes of superfast. It's like the board is turbocharged. at the same time, it never really wants to out run the pocket. plus, i totally dig the feeling of pivot turns. thanks for keeping the thread alive!

Pinkbudha
NSW, 8 posts
28 Mar 2015 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

[/img

The traditional nose riding fin looks like the blades the Asian bbq pork/duck/beef places use to chop their tasty little animals on the 'wood chock'. That's how it stuck with me, and that's the fin jimmy gives you with his B&B. Awsome specialized single use fin.

colas
4992 posts
28 Mar 2015 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
linter said..Pink: "The wood chock fin " -- what's that?!?

Most commonly called "Hatchet" fins.

Area on the tip of the fin allow to add a lot of leverage, great for piloting noserides and pivot turns, but makes smooth curves harder compared to a more curved fin.

Pinkbudha
NSW, 8 posts
28 Mar 2015 7:56PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Colas, deep down I knew it was some type machete or tomahawk name.

linter
223 posts
28 Mar 2015 8:58PM
Thumbs Up

got it. thanks. here's the fin i'm using now, 9.5". i have a 10" one, too, same fin, that i want to try next. they look kinda like the jimmy fin, i guess, only smaller and with a bit more rake.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Ridden the Jimmy Lewis Black & Blue 10'1"?" started by linter