Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Unstable fanatic 14 2015

Created by Chapstar3000 > 9 months ago, 20 Sep 2014
Chapstar3000
NSW, 9 posts
20 Sep 2014 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Is it just me or does anyone reckon the fanatic 14 x 27 ocean is unstable. I paddled a 14 x 28 naish today - stable as. Also paddled a 14 Bic Tracer and a new carbon 14 x 26 naish and they were stable too. Seems like I'm fighting the fanatic...what do ya reckon?

DavidJohn
VIC, 17415 posts
20 Sep 2014 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

IMO they do have a very fast initial tip.. and seem to tip a fair way before you start feeling the secondary stability kicking in.. I'm sure it's something you would get used to but it's not a feeling that I could live with.. How heavy are you?

Chapstar3000
NSW, 9 posts
20 Sep 2014 8:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
IMO they do have a very fast initial tip.. and seem to tip a fair way before you start feeling the secondary stability kicking in.. I'm sure it's something you would get used to but it's not a feeling that I could live with.. How heavy are you?

105 kg's. Yes the very fast initial tip. Do I really need that? I'm trying to get used to it but the loss of momentum is something I didn't feel on the the boards I paddled today.

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
21 Sep 2014 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

Where are you standing on it???

DavidJohn
VIC, 17415 posts
21 Sep 2014 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petedorries said..

Good point.. The big rounded part with the v along it goes up..

I'm guessing at your weight you're at the upper limit or over it for a 27'' wide board..

Chapstar3000
NSW, 9 posts
21 Sep 2014 7:07PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petedorries said..

Select to expand quote
petedorries said..

Over the handle.. opinions please. naish more stable?

petedorries
QLD, 700 posts
21 Sep 2014 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

stand a little more forward

Chapstar3000
NSW, 9 posts
21 Sep 2014 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
petedorries said..

Thanks Pete will do.

BigLump
NSW, 55 posts
1 Oct 2014 12:13PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chapstar3000 said..

petedorries said..

Thanks Pete will do.

Earlier in the year I travelled to Jamieson park to demo 14' race boards. The Jamieson Park attendant, who was a bigger bloke around the 105 kg mark, suggested that I try 3 boards and he placed the following boards in order stability.
1st Naish Glide (carbon),
2nd Fanatic Falcon, and
3rd NSP.
I found the Glide to be considerably more stable than the Fanatic and I didn't even venture onto the NSP.
I tip the scales at around the 125kg mark.
I ended up purchasing the 2104 14' glide GS and I love it.
I ventured over to the Swansea spring fair a couple of weeks ago and demo'd the carbon 14' Naish Javelins, 26" & 28" wide boards.
The 26' was a tad undersized for me and tippy yet the 28" was comfortable with the only shock being their price tag.
As everyone suggests prior to buying you need to demo ..... demo ... demo

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
1 Oct 2014 2:32PM
Thumbs Up

How long have you owned it for Chapster?
Yes they don't give you the feeling of that initial primary stability as DJ mentioned however a bit of time on it and you will notice the secondary is great.

BigLump
NSW, 55 posts
1 Oct 2014 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

I agree that there is a marked difference between the two brands with regards to primary and secondary stability, I found trying to control the primary stability on the Fanatic was a waste of energy and as DJ suggested, something I was not prepared to "live with". It may be that the increased weight may have more effect on the primary stability of the Fanatic rather than the Naish. The Naish may therefore be a better option for heavier blokes.
IMO the stability, both primary and secondary, of the glide is unbelievable.
I found the new javelins to be extremely stable especially considering my size.
If the treasurer were to approve the funds, I'd go with the 14' 28" wide Javelin.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
1 Oct 2014 8:03PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chapstar3000 said..
Is it just me or does anyone reckon the fanatic 14 x 27 ocean is unstable. I paddled a 14 x 28 naish today - stable as. Also paddled a 14 Bic Tracer and a new carbon 14 x 26 naish and they were stable too. Seems like I'm fighting the fanatic...what do ya reckon?

Yes i think the stability can be slightly less on the falcon, but nothing comes close to the fun you have on it downwinding!!!! Great board!! hopefully next year they widen the tail slightly so it surfs a bit better

Chapstar3000
NSW, 9 posts
13 Oct 2014 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RJK said..

Chapstar3000 said..

Yes i think the stability can be slightly less on the falcon, but nothing comes close to the fun you have on it downwinding!!!! Great board!! hopefully next year they widen the tail slightly so it surfs a bit better

Hi guys thanks for the feedback. I tried the slightly further forward stance only a few inches and it made a difference but not enough. I've since ridden the 28 Javelin again and ordered one today. The treasurer has approved because she's fallen for a Nalu which I seconded. Thanks again everyone!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Unstable fanatic 14 2015" started by Chapstar3000