Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

starboard all star 2015 stability

Created by gregbuydts > 9 months ago, 21 Oct 2014
gregbuydts
63 posts
21 Oct 2014 5:05PM
Thumbs Up

Anyone tested the SB 2015 Allstar yet?
The 2015 14' range comes in 25 and 28 width.Now for me that is a huge difference , i used to be on a 26 on flat water (not SB), on ocean that is a challenge when having side chop.
Now i have been reading some reviews and some say that the stability on a 25 is so great! I am 1.93 tall and weight is 93, and i have to make a choice and want to make a good one, testing is no option here in europe ,so personal experiences would help me a lot! Cheers and thx in advance.

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
21 Oct 2014 8:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregbuydts said..
The 2015 14' range comes in 25 and 28 width.Now for me that is a huge difference , i used to be on a 26 on flat water (not SB), on ocean that is a challenge when having side chop.
Now i have been reading some reviews and some say that the stability on a 25 is so great! I am 1.93 tall and weight is 93, and i have to make a choice and want to make a good one, testing is no option here in europe ,so personal experiences would help me a lot! Cheers and thx in advance.

Still not a lot of these in Aus yet, mostly the team guys have had good time on it.

I put it side by side against the 2014 and going by the rail along the entire length and looking at the tail width I would say it would be more stable than the 2014 if they were the same width. Would be nice if they still made a 26.5" though.

TrevT
QLD, 136 posts
21 Oct 2014 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregbuydts said..

I have had the 12'6 x 24 All Star 2015 for a couple weeks now and it is really great!! Really fast and stable so i could imagine that the 25 in 14ft would be really stable! Either way is will be a great board seeing as Connor used the All Star 23' in Lost Mills for the sprints

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:34PM
Thumbs Up

I've been lucky enough to spend a little bit of time on the 2015 14 x 25" in glass/carbon construction.(compliments of the ever generous Mr. Parker of Windsurfnsnow in Sydney's Northern Beaches)
I have used it twice in time trials and found it very nice to paddle. Very very stable on the tail when kick turning; allows you to turn 180deg in one sweep. It weighs about 13kg approx at a guess. It does'nt seem to get upset by side chop and other boards wakes etc. I did find myself shifting my standing position back an inch or two when it went from glassy to choppy To keep it feeling nicely trimmed And raise the nose just over the chop. I'm not sure this actually slowed me down or not but I'm just so used to paddling the more full nose high volume boards I can't help myself!!!
i just love the outline shape and lines of this board. Looks soo good.
all the crew here that have tried it have been very impressed with its stability.
Sam Parker and One of our other crew have tried it in the ocean and been impressed with its ability to accelerate from the smallest bumps And catch waves.
very much looking forward to seeing how the carbon version feels. I think Starboard will have some very popular gear out this year. :)

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
21 Oct 2014 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

I had a good look at one today.. Nice..

I'm about your weight and I'd go for the 28" for sure..

Slack
WA, 685 posts
21 Oct 2014 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

I went to the Stand Up Paddle Sports - Sup and Sizzle (Swan River) a couple of weeks ago to demo the SB 14? race boards, have never been on any race boards before. Conditions that day were wind on shore ~8/10kn flatish water in close and 6? chop out further.
I demoed in order

14'0" x 28" Starboard Allstar (2014)
14'0" x 27" Starboard Ace (2014)
14'0" x 26.5" Starboard Allstar (2014)
14'0" x 25" Starboard Allstar (2015)

In those conditions I thought the new 2015 Allstar 25" was about as stable as the 2014 26.5", I could sit or paddle with the chop side on with no issue, the new one was definitely faster.

Thanks Ian for the demo opportunity and helpful advice.

Cheers
Slack

shecomb
WA, 6 posts
22 Oct 2014 12:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said..

gregbuydts said..

Still not a lot of these in Aus yet, mostly the team guys have had good time on it.

I put it side by side against the 2014 and going by the rail along the entire length and looking at the tail width I would say it would be more stable than the 2014 if they were the same width. Would be nice if they still made a 26.5" though.

i dont think there's any difference in the 14x28 Allstar between 2014 and 2015, except for graphics and deckpad

gregbuydts
63 posts
22 Oct 2014 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

The 28 width must slowdown the board a lot i think but then again the 25 will be tricky on ocean with chop................pfff difficult to decide

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
22 Oct 2014 8:27PM
Thumbs Up

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
23 Oct 2014 10:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
shecomb said..

i dont think there's any difference in the 14x28 Allstar between 2014 and 2015, except for graphics and deckpad

I might be wrong because I'm no Starboard expert but IMO the 2014 and 2015 Allstar look very different..

You our can see the 2015 AllStar well in this vid..

BrisKites
QLD, 1286 posts
23 Oct 2014 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Hey! That quote looks like I said that...

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
23 Oct 2014 12:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BrisKites said..
Hey! That quote looks like I said that...

Fixed..sorry..

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
23 Oct 2014 3:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregbuydts said..
The 28 width must slowdown the board a lot i think but then again the 25 will be tricky on ocean with chop................pfff difficult to decide

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..
I had a good look at one today.. Nice..

I'm about your weight and I'd go for the 28" for sure..

I'm with DJ on this. I think we have all gone a little out of control with our rush to use as narrow a board as possible. This is fine if all you want to do is race and go as fast as you can, but I think if everyone took a step back and tried out some wider boards in the current ranges, we would all remember what it was that got us hooked on SUP in the first place. When you spend an entire session balancing on a fence paling, you miss out on so much of what SUP has to offer.

Ian Grose
TAS, 423 posts
Site Sponsor
23 Oct 2014 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

The 28" wide 2015 is the same as the 2014.

The rest have all changed significantly from last year.

The only 2015 I have paddled is the 14 x 25 and stability in that has improved hugely.

We had a demo a week or so ago and everyone that paddled it were super impressed by it.

Will Lee won the Sunset SUP/ Surfski Series on the it last week and enjoyed it.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
23 Oct 2014 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ian for clearing that up..

The one I looked at must have been the narrower option..

gregbuydts
63 posts
23 Oct 2014 6:28PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
DavidJohn said..

shecomb said..

I might be wrong because I'm no Starboard expert but IMO the 2014 and 2015 Allstar look very different..

Happy with that video! does anybody hav e an idea what width are lying on that beach? allstar........

shecomb
WA, 6 posts
24 Oct 2014 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gregbuydts said..

DavidJohn said..

shecomb said..

Happy with that video! does anybody hav e an idea what width are lying on that beach? allstar........

it would be the 25, as the 28 still has the deeper standing area like the 2014 range

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"starboard all star 2015 stability" started by gregbuydts