Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

12 TOWERS OCEAN PADDLE RACE 2016

Created by Secret Agent > 9 months ago, 3 Feb 2016
Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
3 Feb 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Coming into its fifth year of succession, the 12 Towers Ocean Paddle Race has carved out an iconic figure of being one of the premier races in Australia for SUP, Ocean Ski and Prone. With the 2016 event set for the weekend of February 27 & 28, the Gold Coast is certainly ready to turn up the heat of summer!

The 14km Open Ocean Race from world famous Kirra Point to picturesque Burleigh Heads is proving to be a battle ground for the best in the business. Passing by 12 Lifeguard Beach Surveillance Towers (Hence establishing the race name) competitors will round an inflatable “turning buoy” approximately 300 meters from the viewing platform in the center of Burleigh Beach, before making their final way for the dry sand finish line.
Now with the added “short course” dash from Currumbin Alley through Burleigh Point in the schedule, this stepping stone to the longer distance is within many paddlers grip.

ISA World SUP Champion and 2014 12 Tower’s winner Titouan Puyo was absent from the 2015 race as cyclone Marcia hampered his title defense, but maybe back in 2016 to show us why he is considered the one of the best paddlers on the planet. World Surf Ski Champion and freak all-star athlete Michael Booth will be defending his 2015 title against some of the biggest names in Australian Stand up Paddling.Not to be outdone by the guys, the ladies sure know how to make names for them. Can Karla Gilbert keep her dream run and claim a “four-peat” in 2016 or can some of her biggest rivals put an end to her rein. Along an international female contingency making their way Down Under in February, the water will surely be set alight!

In 2016, the 12 Towers event will once again turn on a “Battle Royale” of physical and mental toughness right in the heat of the Gold Coast’s Burleigh Heads. From the 2014 dual between Tito Puyo and Beau O’Brian, the emergence of future SUP sport legends of Michael Booth, Matt Nottage and Chloe Walkerdene and not to skip over the legendary efforts of blooded and bruised Tracey Mouque and all the first time competitors, 2016 is certainly going to explode!If you haven’t done so before and you are a SUP enthusiast like us all, mark this one in your diary and set a goal to be part of Australia’s longest running SUP specific paddle event.
2016 12 Towers Ocean SUP Race………get amongst it!
www.12towers.com

nosaj27
QLD, 271 posts
3 Feb 2016 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Go the Mouque

Themoke
QLD, 50 posts
4 Feb 2016 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

Yewww can't wait for a blood free finish!!!

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
6 Feb 2016 8:10PM
Thumbs Up

The 12 Towers has seen some of the World's biggest names compete the 14km Gold Coast ocean race. Some of them are featured on this trophy and some of them have come oh so close, proving the depth in the talent pool that this event attracts!
Most importantly that this race caters for all ages and abilities. So it's not just about the Elite grabbing the spotlight, but the paddlers wanting to give their all, the frothers who set personal goals or simply racing a mate are the ones that truly set this event as the best in the country!
12 Towers Ocean Paddle Race - 27th/28th February 2016
www.12towers.com
Thank you to our sponsors and supporters!
DEEP Oceanboards
KeNalu Paddles Australia
1SUP1
Dakine
Vonzipper Eyewear Australia
AuSUP
DMC Media - Tim Patterson
Surfing Queensland
SUPSA Gold Coast SUP Club
Surf Life Physio Miami

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
8 Feb 2016 7:09AM
Thumbs Up

FROTHING..............

CarterSUPhysio
QLD, 179 posts
8 Feb 2016 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait - glad to be paddling it this year! Shotgun that massage table after though...and I mean me being on it, literally

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
23 Feb 2016 12:29AM
Thumbs Up

What is doing with the race on the weekend, bit of talk about the swell being HUGE and beaches looking set to close over the weekend?

has the curse of a cyclone swell hit 12towers two years in a row?

kikaha
QLD, 72 posts
23 Feb 2016 8:12AM
Thumbs Up

Very quiet out thère. Not much 12 towers chatter. Nothing on the website either.

angie pangi
QLD, 1778 posts
23 Feb 2016 8:14AM
Thumbs Up

They are already saying that the beaches will be CLOSED on Saturday and Sunday. It's already very solid down here this morning and it's meant to be the smallest day today.

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
23 Feb 2016 9:59AM
Thumbs Up

If you ever want to pick a date for a big wave surfing comp call Peasey . He has nailed 2 years in a row.

?uid=20160223090041

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
23 Feb 2016 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...

What is doing with the race on the weekend, bit of talk about the swell being HUGE and beaches looking set to close over the weekend?

has the curse of a cyclone swell hit 12towers two years in a row?

Uncanny. What are the odds of that

Piros
QLD, 6879 posts
23 Feb 2016 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Just spoke to Peasey watch this space.....

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
23 Feb 2016 5:35PM
Thumbs Up

Let's have a 12.6 and 14 big wave surf off.whoevers board comes back in in one piece wins.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
23 Feb 2016 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
teatrea said...
Let's have a 12.6 and 14 big wave surf off.whoevers board comes back in in one piece wins.

Can i borrow ur board
I reckon im a chance of keeping the board in one piece but no chance of myself coming back in with all limbs attached

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
23 Feb 2016 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Piros said...

Yeah heard about that. Bit of red tape first I would think

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
23 Feb 2016 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said...
teatrea said...

Can i borrow ur board
I reckon im a chance of keeping the board in one piece but no chance of myself coming back in with all limbs attached

Kirra was looking awesome all day to day. ****** work.

Macaha
QLD, 21869 posts
23 Feb 2016 7:57PM
Thumbs Up

The super bank doing its thing today.

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
23 Feb 2016 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Piros said...

Yeah heard about that. Bit of red tape first I would think

Red tape has been cut and its on!
Still got your unlimited Marcus??

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
23 Feb 2016 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

12 TOWERS IMPORTANT UPDATE

As everyone has been sweating it out in anticipation for this years 12 Towers, Cyclone Winston has just smashed Fiji. The residual swell kicked up in the Pacific has reached the Goldy and looking to increase in size throughout the weekend.

The 12 Towers committee have always taken safety as priority and the advice received from the Gold Coast City Life Guard Service this week to seek a contingency plan for an alternate course is now in place.

Moreton Bay in Brisbane is now the alternate course venue for this years running of the 12 Towers Ocean Paddle Race. Those of you that have paddled the Bay in the last couple of months know how epic it can be. And this weekend looks to be all time with favourable wind and swell.

There are a number of designated runs mapped out for both the Long and Short courses that will be true down wind!

Stay tuned for more info regarding this venue change along with course maps to follow!

Cheers to everyone for their patience and continued support of our race!

*Next update Wednesday PM.

www.12towers.com
Thank you to the following supporting brands and organisations!
#DEEPOceanboards #KeNaluAustralia #1SUP1 #Dakine #Vonzipperaustralia #SUPSA #DMCMedia #SurfingQueensland #AuSUP #Surflifephysio #PACA

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
24 Feb 2016 10:50PM
Thumbs Up

The Event Committee can confirm that the 5th running of the 12 Towers Ocean Paddle Race will be held in Moreton Bay (Brisbane) on Saturday 27th February.
Times and Course lay-out TBA.
Again we thank all competitors and supporters of our event for their patience and co-operation while we seek alternatives from the unfavourable Gold Coast ocean conditions kicked up from ex Tropical Cyclone Winston.

All competitors must adhere to the Event Safety Regulations.
Refer below:

SAFETY BULLETIN

SUP CATEGORY
*Each SUP Paddler must be attached to their craft via a LEGROPE/LEASH.
*Each SUP Paddler must have on them or be wearing a PFD of some sort. Either of Bumbag, Surf Vest or Zip Vest configuration.
PRONE CATEGORY
*Each PRONE Paddler must be attached to their craft via a LEGROPE/LEASH.
*While it is not mandatory for the PRONE Paddler to be wearing a PFD of sort, it is recommended to carry or be wearing one if possible.
OCEAN SKI CATEGORY
*Each OCEAN SKI Paddler must be wearing a PFD of some sort. Either of Bumbag, Surf Vest or Zip Vest configuration.
*While it is not mandatory for the OCEAN SKI Paddler to be attached to their craft via a LEGROPE/LEASH, it is recommended to do so if they can.
**While it is not mandatory, it is recommended to carry a personal locating Hand Flare on you while you paddle.

www.12towers.com
#DEEPOceanboards #KeNaluAustralia #1SUP1 #Dakine #Vonzipperaustralia #SUPSA #DMCMedia #SurfingQueensland #AuSUP #Surflifephysio #PACA #surfdiveski

marcus
WA, 219 posts
25 Feb 2016 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Haha secret agent. I wish I was over there with the big board. Just spoke to Ben about this. I've heard great things about this bit of water with some wind on it. Bongy (Ben) is frothing. You guys are gonna have a cracker. Event management at its finest right there sir. Well done.

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
25 Feb 2016 6:03PM
Thumbs Up

It's looking very tempting Peasey for a "Rock Star" visit. Looking at logistics now.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
25 Feb 2016 7:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said...
It's looking very tempting Peasey for a "Rock Star" visit. Looking at logistics now.

do it!! a bay run come Saturday could be an all time 10!
All charts have it at 25+ knots SSE before lunch time, if they have this right us locals can all tell you it will be straight down wind bumps for 17k

Chris Ting
NSW, 302 posts
25 Feb 2016 8:21PM
Thumbs Up

Just waiting for the confirmed start time and course, and then I will book a flight.

Have got a board lined up already

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
25 Feb 2016 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NNSUP said..

mate if the wind is up to predictions it a cranking dw run.

if you come up you can get to see what my f16 looks like from behind

just kidding

NNSUP
NSW, 1263 posts
25 Feb 2016 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..

NNSUP said...

do it!! a bay run come Saturday could be an all time 10!
All charts have it at 25+ knots SSE before lunch time, if they have this right us locals can all tell you it will be straight down wind bumps for 17k

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

NNSUP said..

mate if the wind is up to predictions it a cranking dw run.

if you come up you can get to see what my f16 looks like from behind

just kidding

There's 2 good reasons to head up there alone. Logistics at this stage might be the issue, however, I'm looking at it with Tingy.. Plus someone has to sell boards in the shop. Looks like it will be an awesome run.

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
25 Feb 2016 10:14PM
Thumbs Up

SCHEDULE for all Competitors:

Saturday 27th February
Check-in time: 8am - 9:30am (*Venue TBA Friday 28th)
Competitor Briefing: 10am (*Venue TBA Friday 28th)
Race Start: approx 11:30am
Presentation: Commences on completion of all competitors. (Trophies/Prizes, BBQ and refreshments provided)

We have 2 course layouts that will be decided on tomorrow (Friday 28th February)
Possible Long Courses: Cleveland to Wynnum or Victoria Point to Wellington Point.
Possible Short Courses: Wellington Point to Wynnum or Raby Bay to Wellington Point.

*The finish line will also be the Check-in/Briefing location.

Whilst we cannot make everyone happy, we will endeavour to design the race course to suit the wind direction and tides giving you the best possible conditions for paddling.

So many of you have been paddling this stretch of late, so let me make the decision for you and be a part of the longest running specific SUP Race in the country!!

REMEMBERING FRIDAY NIGHT IS CUT-OFF FOR ONLINE ENTRIES.

www.12towers.com
#DEEPOceanboards #KeNaluAustralia #1SUP1 #Dakine #Vonzipperaustralia #SUPSA #DMCMedia #SurfingQueensland #AuSUP #Surflifephysio #PACA #surfdiveski #back2basics

ScottyCee
20 posts
26 Feb 2016 4:12AM
Thumbs Up

What are the distances for these runs ?.
Cheers

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

All apologies with my previous post. Correction on the dates stated are now confirmed below.

12 TOWERS IMPORTANT
UPDATE SCHEDULE for all Competitors:
Saturday 27th February Check-in time: 8am - 9:30am (*Venue TBA Friday 26th)
Competitor Briefing: 10am (*Venue TBA Friday 26th)
Race Start: approx 11:30am Presentation:
Commences on completion of all competitors. (Trophies/Prizes, BBQ and refreshments provided)

We have 2 course layouts that will be decided on tomorrow (Friday 26th February)
Possible Long Courses: Cleveland to Wynnum or Victoria Point to Wellington Point.
Possible Short Courses: Wellington Point to Wynnum or Raby Bay to Wellington Point.

*The finish line will also be the Check-in/Briefing location. Whilst we cannot make everyone happy, we will endeavour to design the race course to suit the wind direction and tides giving you the best possible conditions for paddling.

So many of you have been paddling this stretch of late, so let me make the decision for you and be a part of the longest running specific SUP Race in the country!!

REMEMBERING FRIDAY NIGHT IS CUT-OFF FOR ONLINE ENTRIES.

www.12towers.com #DEEPOceanboards #KeNaluAustralia #1SUP1 #Dakine #Vonzipperaustralia #SUPSA #DMCMedia #SurfingQueensland #AuSUP #Surflifephysio #PACA #surfdiveski #back2basics

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
26 Feb 2016 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ScottyCee said..
What are the distances for these runs ?.
Cheers

Hi Scotty,
Long Course is around 15-16 km's
Short Course is around 5-6 kms's.
Cheers

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
26 Feb 2016 2:37PM
Thumbs Up

If its Cleveland to wynnum creek course.
Can I start at Vic point 30 mins prior to start at Cleveland
25-30knots SSE is TO GOOD TO ONLY DO 15km. 25km sounds so much better for tomorrow.

Ps: this is a half serious question secret agent

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"12 TOWERS OCEAN PADDLE RACE 2016" started by Secret Agent