Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

12 Towers Ocean SUP Race 2013

Created by Secret Agent > 9 months ago, 3 Jan 2013
Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
3 Jan 2013 10:51AM
Thumbs Up

12 Towers Ocean SUP Race 2013

Be a part of the biggest and Australia's premier Ocean SUP Race this February 2nd hosted by SUPSA.

Race alongside some of the world's best Stand Up Paddlers, compete against your mates or just enjoy an awesome paddle along the Gold Coast.

After a great event in 2012, the "12 Towers" SUP race returns in 2013 bigger and better: With over $5,000 in cash & prizes, including awards for all age divisions, this will be one of the most exciting Aussie SUP races of 2013.

Australia's best SUP racers will be competing: Travis Grant, Kelly Margetts, Jake Jensen, Paul Jackson, Beau O'Brian, Lincoln Dews, Karla Gilbert, Angie Jackson. Plus international stars of SUP (...names to be revealed soon, but let's just say they're some of the fastest paddlers in the world).

Whether you're in it for the cash and glory or just the fun of racing against your mates, if you love paddling and you love the ocean then this is the SUP race you want to be a part of.

WHEN & WHERE

Starting at Kirra Point, paddlers head North along the Gold Coast and finish at Burleigh Heads, which is approximately 14kms.

Race starts at 11am on Saturday 2nd February.

Beach entries accepted from 8:30-10am.

Marshalling from 9:30am with race briefing at 10:30am.

RACE DIVISIONS

12'6: Open, Over 40s, Over 50s

14' and above (including unlimited boards): Open, Over 40s, Over 50s

Both men's and women's division in all age groups.

SAVE $15: Don't wait until the day of the race - register online early and get a special discount.
REGISTER NOW:
www.registernow.com.au/secure/Register.aspx?ID=8002

For all information and up to date news, visit www.12TowersRace.com

JonesySUP
QLD, 872 posts
3 Jan 2013 12:18PM
Thumbs Up

Bring it on!! Super pumped

Scotty88
4214 posts
3 Jan 2013 11:30AM
Thumbs Up

Mac, here's you chance to have a crack.
If you only make 6 towers that's ok.

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
3 Jan 2013 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Scotty88 said...
Mac, here's you chance to have a crack.
If you only make 6 towers that's ok.

I've been training the house down with" half run" Lacey ,so 6 is the marker then

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
3 Jan 2013 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Well last year a couple of us longboarders came down to witness this carnage and was disappointed there was little if any,I guess we were watching the best paddlers in OZ with the skill level shown,so back again this year to cheer that oldman of the sea.
Go Lacey

angie pangi
QLD, 1779 posts
3 Jan 2013 8:23PM
Thumbs Up

Last year was epic! Big swell and some nice bumps too.
I remember coming in to the finish all to well :) got worked on a set with peasy right beside me haha.
So much fun
X angie

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
3 Jan 2013 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

Definitely the race of the year for 2012, well for QLD anyway!!!
Great downwinder (fingers crossed for wind again) and heaps of fun, even getting worked in the shorey coming in and watching 5-6 people overtake me as I got sucked over the falls again and again (it's becoming a habit for me ).
Should be a great day again!

Secret Agent
QLD, 289 posts
3 Jan 2013 10:08PM
Thumbs Up

Its all good....I've put a request in for ideal conditions, so we're all sweet!

HerbertVoigt
QLD, 155 posts
5 Jan 2013 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Hi SA

From what I know last year the event was set up so the main category was 12'6s although from the pics people paddled a variety of lengths. Are you expecting the top paddlers to be on the shorter boards again or will the 14's get a bit more interest from the top guys.

Cheers
Herb

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
5 Jan 2013 1:51PM
Thumbs Up

Really disappointed that there is not just a 14' class. Being with the unlimited boards with rudder systems is not an equal basis. Please consider a change to this category.
Still looking forward to the race.

Swanie
QLD, 1372 posts
5 Jan 2013 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

jt737 said...
Really disappointed that there is not just a 14' class. Being with the unlimited boards with rudder systems is not an equal basis. Please consider a change to this category.

C'mon JT... I was going on the 15'6 DC

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
5 Jan 2013 4:02PM
Thumbs Up

jt737 said...

Instinct tells us that the unlimited's would have an advantage (and in a howling downwind they probably/definitely do), but after having done a few races in the Sydney Series at the end of last year, including the 20Beaches, the majority of paddlers (even those with access to unlimited boards) chose to race on 14' boards even though there were no board class divisions at all.

Yes, the 20Bs had bonus prize money if you could take the overall win on a 14' board, thus attracting all the top paddlers to use 14's, but for most if not all the other races, the open division was won by a 14' board.

With the way sup paddling appears to be heading in Australia (and most of the rest of the world except Hawaii), unlimited boards appear to be falling into a very small niche market (generally those who want the best board to go fastest in the best conditions, but not generally those who are winning the races) and racing seems to be focused on the established 12'6 and 14' classes. I'm not saying it 'right', just the way the sport appears to be heading and there's only so many different divisions race organisers can cater for. If you open up an unlimited division and then needs to cater for all age groups, that's and extra 6 divisions when in practice there may only be 5 or 6 paddlers in total opting to race on unlimited boards.

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
5 Jan 2013 6:08PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ali and I appreciate all the work that the organisers do to get a race like this up and running.

Rather than 6 other classes, just have open men and women unlimited classes - just 2 more for the very few unlimited boards out there,being an open class unlimited. Perhaps when you close off the event you can see just how many unlimited boards will actually enter. I can't think of too many lady paddlers that will actually enter on an unlimited board these days.

Swanie, looking forward to paddling against you!!

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
5 Jan 2013 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Will be up at the Gold Coast this weekend, so looking forward to checking out the race.

Ali Cat
QLD, 1205 posts
5 Jan 2013 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

camo hosk said...
Will be up at the Gold Coast this weekend, so looking forward to checking out the race.

Are you going to race Cam? I'm sure we can find you a board to use!

camo hosk
VIC, 613 posts
5 Jan 2013 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Ali, yer like to go in the race, let me know if a board's available for hire/borrow that would be great,
Cheers.

RJK
QLD, 622 posts
5 Jan 2013 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Swanie said...
jt737 said...

Were you actually Swanie??

Swanie
QLD, 1372 posts
5 Jan 2013 11:12PM
Thumbs Up

RJK said...
Swanie said...
jt737 said...

Were you actually Swanie??

maybe

scotty100
QLD, 233 posts
6 Jan 2013 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

I think from memory only about 4 unlimited boards last year all men and they weren't across the line in top 3 overall ,why bother ??

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Jan 2013 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

scotty100 said...
I think from memory only about 4 unlimited boards last year all men and they weren't across the line in top 3 overall ,why bother ??

well scotty, i got 9 th on a bullet against a really hot field. i was pretty much with the lead guys till about half way until i tired and conditions changed a bit. i'm no spring chicken like most of those that placed better. on 14' er- no way. my best result to date.

most of the top guys 14' boards will still be in wa, so 12'6 looks like being 'the' class.

with the 14' plus being the 'other' class, looks a bit like the rest of us plebs are there to make up the numbers.

i can see the reason but its a bit disappointing for sure.i reckon cut the prizes outside the elite 12'6 and make a separate 14' and unlimited class. recognition is more sort after then a purse in the amateur stakes.

if conditions suit i will be on a unlimited board if i can get a hold of one- you would be crazy not too if conditions are right. can't image those and possibly me being happy paddling against unlimited boards if conditions suit unlimited boards.
just ask the guys i paddled with then i had a bullet for dw ing.

these and your argument are always comparing a amateur unlimited paddler against a pro paddler on a 12'6 or something- not a pro unlimited paddler against a pro 12'6 paddler

now the 14' open class would still be highly contested. two highly rated paddlers- one on a 14' er, one on a unlimited- doesn't seem fair

still its a good race and if we get dw conditions again all the better

KellyM
QLD, 97 posts
6 Jan 2013 12:59PM
Thumbs Up

Can you enter multiple divisions?

jt737
QLD, 418 posts
6 Jan 2013 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Why not lump the 12'6 and 14' boards in one class then and have unlimited in their own class. Much the same as lumping the 14' and unlimited boards together!
I'd rather paddle an unlimited board anyway as I'd rather paddle a 14' rather than a 12'6 in the ocean!

Rich0
QLD, 59 posts
19 Jan 2013 10:36AM
Thumbs Up

I know things can change but the long range swell forecast is looking favourable with only a small swell predicted.

skebstebamal
QLD, 578 posts
19 Jan 2013 11:12AM
Thumbs Up

Hey do u need to be affiliated with a club or something to enter...... And do you have to wear a life jacket. . I don't mind wearing . . Just asking :)

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Jan 2013 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

just an idea. why not have a unlimited open mens and womens class only. the unlimited boards are a great equaliser. so that's just two more classes and gives the 14' crew a class of their own. a lenght of board that you will probably find has as many numbers as the 12'6 class if not more.

not everybody paddles a 12'6 at currumbin

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
19 Jan 2013 1:06PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...
just an idea. why not have a unlimited open mens and womens class only. the unlimited boards are a great equaliser. so that's just two more classes and gives the 14' crew a class of their own. a lenght of board that you will probably find has as many numbers as the 12'6 class if not more.

Or on the east coast.

But I understand why the 12'6 class is important to attract and allow participation from people that can not get their 14' back from the Dr in time.

There is always going to be someone unhappy, so the line has to be drawn somewhere. It's really up to what the organizers want to achieve out of the event

62mac
WA, 24860 posts
19 Jan 2013 11:11AM
Thumbs Up

Adapt said...
It's really up to what the organizers want to achieve out of the event

A good start would be attracting more numbers to compete in the event,hence unlimited should be included.
One race,two divisions easy

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
19 Jan 2013 1:33PM
Thumbs Up

Easy fix most paddlers probably check this site out , so just ask the question how many will be riding unlimited boards? My guess not many

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
19 Jan 2013 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

It's all good unless you only have a 14'er. These categories make me want to borrow a 17'er from somewhere, I'm slow enough already but give someone a 3 feet advantage and I'm in trouble.

Seriously though, unless you're vying for line honors it's not too much drama. It's a shorter, easier paddle on a 17' though. Anyone got one I can lend?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Jan 2013 2:11PM
Thumbs Up

Adapt said...
laceys lane said...

Or on the east coast.

But I understand why the 12'6 class is important to attract and allow participation from people that can not get their 14' back from the Dr in time.

There is always going to be someone unhappy, so the line has to be drawn somewhere. It's really up to what the organizers want to achieve out of the event

adapt i think there is quite a few unhappy having their 14' board class, and make no mistake it a legit class, being lump in a free for all 14' to unlimited.

is having pissed off 14' board owners the aim of the game.

no i'm sorry to have to say but this is wrong.

the 12'6 has all the money. at least have a proper 14' class and open unlimited men/women.

as a member of supsa i wouldn't mind knowing what the thinking is here, how the committee decided the race classes?

cmc, i've booked a bullet if a certain person is away

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
19 Jan 2013 2:26PM
Thumbs Up

laceys lane said...
Adapt said...
laceys lane said...

Or on the east coast.

adapt i think there is quite a few unhappy having their 14' board class, and make no mistake it a legit class, being lump in a free of all 14' to unlimited.

is having pissed off 14' board owners the aim of the game.

no i'm sorry to have to say but this is wrong.

the 12'6 has all the money. at least have a proper 14' class and open unlimited men/women.

as a member of supsa i wouldn't mind knowing what the thinking here, how the committee decided the race classes?

cmc, i've booked a bullet if a certain person is away

Sorry don't know those answers. I understand ppl are upset (I myself own a 14' only) and i use to get upset over this kind of thing. Guess I've lost some passion to fight.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"12 Towers Ocean SUP Race 2013" started by Secret Agent