Active Topics |  Search

Login or Register
Forums > SUP > Stand Up Paddle Boarding > SUP Board for a nubie185 pounder?
Author SUP Board for a nubie185 pounder?
Page: of 1
United States
23 Posts
Posted 6/10/2009, 4:46 am        Report
I've been paddling for 4-5 months (nubie) and my main spot to SUP surf is a beach break, but it occasionally breaks 100 - 150 yds out, waist to shoulder high, sometimes bigger. I'm looking for a stable all around board that can handle chop and windy conditions but I dont want something hard to turn/pivot and wrestle with when I'm caught inside. I've zero'd in on the Naish 11'4, PSH 11, and PSH 10'6 WAA but I also heard a PSH 10 WAA is coming out in a few months too. From what I've been reading, SUPs 11' or more are too big for my size? What do you think? Your opinions are greatly appreciated! -Mahalo
VIC
435 Posts
Posted 6/10/2009, 6:56 am        Report
Hi Ray , Welcome to the breeze ! If your looking for a stable board that's good in chop and surfs unreal i would highly recommend the Paddle Surf Hawaii 10'6" wide allrounder.....it's a very popular board. At 185 pounds you should also consider the new 10' Wide allrounder but i have not seen this board yet. The Naish 11'4 is also another very popular longboard style board that is worthy of a demo, you should also check out the new Naish 9'5 Mana if your after a stable board for smaller waves. Go demo these boards. Have fun ! Rich
VIC
835 Posts
Posted 6/10/2009, 7:13 am        Report
Hi Ray, I'm 145lbs and just got a Starboard 10'5" x 30". It's very stable, nice and light and so far seems to be a great all rounder for lighter weight people. As Rich said the Naish 9'5 Mana would also be an excellent option. Good luck with your choice, hard to go wrong with so many good boards on the market. Jonathan
VIC
12587 Posts
Posted 6/10/2009, 7:20 am        Report
Hi Ray and welcome.. Rich is right.. at your weight you could go shorter and there's many to choose from these days. PSH, Starboard and Naish all offer these new shorter/wider boards and I think they're the way to go. The longer boards paddle straighter and have less yawing so they are better flat water boards that can also be taken in the waves. Demoing is the best thing to do.. and keep asking questions.. DJ
United States
23 Posts
Posted 6/10/2009, 6:32 pm        Report
First off, thank you for responding. I value your opinions. The PSH 10'6 WAA is what I have been leaning towards too. I live about 10min away from the PSH Oahu outlet store and they're blowing out the WAA everytime they get a shipment in. I would like to try the 10WAA but I'm not sure I can sit on my hands for another 2-3 months There's a lot of chatter about the Naish SUP's and a few of their boards peeked my interest too (10er, 10'6, and 11'4). My cousin was stoked on their 9'3 but its way too small for me. Anyway, I'm going take your advice Rich, and start trying them out..its a tough job but somebodies got to do it! -Ray
VIC
247 Posts
Posted 6/10/2009, 6:39 pm        Report
Ray, Welcome to the forum! I guess I will beat others to the question and ask, what does PSH sell the WAA's for when they are "blowing them out". We're always trying to justify a trip to Hawaii......... Cheers mate, Ronnie
United States
23 Posts
Posted 7/10/2009, 5:45 am        Report
Hi Ronnie, The WAA's are a hot item I guess. They nearly sold out of the 10'6 AA's from their latest shipment and now have only a couple in stock when I stopped by last Friday. They have to maintain a waiting list for the 10'6 WAA. Good board + Good Price = High Demand. While on dawn patrol today one of the regular's was surfing the Naish 8'0 and got me thinking again. I need to get out to Kailua one of these days to demo the Naish 10'6 and 11'4. Decisions, decisions. Aloha, -Ray
United States
23 Posts
Posted 7/10/2009, 5:56 am        Report
STNDUP said...
Ray, Welcome to the forum! I guess I will beat others to the question and ask, what does PSH sell the WAA's for when they are "blowing them out". We're always trying to justify a trip to Hawaii......... Cheers mate, Ronnie
Ronnie, Sorry, I did'nt answer your question. PSH prices are posted on their website but those prices are for Oahu only. www.paddlesurfhawaii.com Aloha, -Ray
United States
23 Posts
Posted 8/10/2009, 5:23 pm        Report
Session said...
Hi Ray , Welcome to the breeze ! If your looking for a stable board that's good in chop and surfs unreal i would highly recommend the Paddle Surf Hawaii 10'6" wide allrounder.....it's a very popular board. At 185 pounds you should also consider the new 10' Wide allrounder but i have not seen this board yet. The Naish 11'4 is also another very popular longboard style board that is worthy of a demo, you should also check out the new Naish 9'5 Mana if your after a stable board for smaller waves. Go demo these boards. Have fun ! Rich
Rich, Naish says the 9'5 Mana is a stable board for smaller waves. What do they mean by smaller waves? I'm not sure, but my guess is ankle slapper to overhead (1-6ft). Is that a reasonable assumption? Mahalo, -Raymond
VIC
435 Posts
Posted 9/10/2009, 7:35 am        Report
Hello Ray , The 9'5 Mana might be able to handle up to 6 foot surf max?? but this would be only with a very experienced surfer .This board is wide in the tail that helps to catch waves for beginners and stable but makes the board more difficult to control in powerful waves at 6' at your weight 185 pounds. The Naish Mana series of boards are targeting beginners to intermediate riders and they are very selling fast here in Australia as they are so versatile & fun. Would suggest this board would be fine from to 1-4 foot .......above that you will need to demo the 9'3 , 9'6 ,10'6 boards...something with less volume!! Have you had an opportunity to demo any boards yet? Rich
VIC
12587 Posts
Posted 9/10/2009, 8:03 am        Report
These new wide boards may still work well on big waves.. IMO.. depending on the wave.. and depending if you're happy to just ride the shoulder of the wave or get right into the pocket.. or not.. I'm looking forward to trying mine in some big stuff and it will be interesing to see if you can hold a rail or if it will be more just the fins holding it in.. I might become a bit skatie or slidie. DJ
VIC
435 Posts
Posted 9/10/2009, 8:28 am        Report
Hi Dave , Think you would be fine on larger waves on your 10' Mana . Lighter weight riders will struggle in larger waves on these boards. Rich
United States
23 Posts
Posted 10/10/2009, 5:14 am        Report
Session said...
Hello Ray , The 9'5 Mana might be able to handle up to 6 foot surf max?? but this would be only with a very experienced surfer .This board is wide in the tail that helps to catch waves for beginners and stable but makes the board more difficult to control in powerful waves at 6' at your weight 185 pounds. The Naish Mana series of boards are targeting beginners to intermediate riders and they are very selling fast here in Australia as they are so versatile & fun. Would suggest this board would be fine from to 1-4 foot .......above that you will need to demo the 9'3 , 9'6 ,10'6 boards...something with less volume!! Have you had an opportunity to demo any boards yet? Rich
Rich, No time to demo the Naish boards yet but when I get a chance, I'll try the Mana 9'5 and the 11'4. I know they're totally different boards but I'm looking for stability, glide, and maneuverability. The Naish 10'6 would be ideal if it were at least 29.5" wide, but at 28" wide and in choppy conditions I think the 10'6 would wear out my ankles and knees after an hour. I owned a PSH 10'6 AA and that's what I'm comparing the Naish 10'6 too, but I could be totally off. Thoughts? Mahalo, -Raymond -Raymond
United States
23 Posts
Posted 10/10/2009, 5:15 am        Report
Session said...
Hi Rich, No time to demo the Naish boards yet but when I get a chance, I'll try the Mana 9'5 and the 11'4. I know they're totally different boards but I'm looking for stability, glide, and maneuverability. The Naish 10'6 would be ideal if it were at least 29.5" wide, but at 28" wide and in choppy conditions I think the 10'6 would wear out my ankles and knees after an hour. I owned a PSH 10'6 AA and that's what I'm comparing the Naish 10'6 too, but I could be totally off. Thoughts? Mahalo, -Raymond
VIC
435 Posts
Posted 11/10/2009, 12:42 pm        Report
Hi Ray , Still think the Naish Mana 9'5 will be worth a demo for stability . The 11'4 will be best for more Glide. Also demo the 10'6 PSH WIDE AA (30"wide) and see how that goes compared to your std 10'6AA (28 3/8 wide) The new PSH 10'Wide AA will be another great option for you when this is available ? I have owned the Naish 10'6 myself and its a killer board but at 28" wide your correct this will be more of a challenge in chop/wind. Rich

Page: of 1
Forums > SUP > Stand Up Paddle Boarding > SUP Board for a nubie185 pounder?
^^^ Return to top of page ^^^