Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Surf SUP advice 100kg please

Created by Husat > 9 months ago, 12 Feb 2017
Husat
QLD, 43 posts
12 Feb 2017 3:37PM
Thumbs Up

Been paddleboarding 14 footers for several years, downwinding, racing etc, never surfed. Now it's time to surf and have no idea where to start. Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast waves. 100kg, 6' tall and over 50. Demo'd a starboard whopper this morning and seriously too wide. Demo'd a 10'6" Fanatic Fly and handles like a besser block. Demo'd a 10' Nalu but couldn't stay on it, too wobbly. Fell in love with that 12' Sunova Search video by Caso on this thread recently but maybe he just makes it look that easy. Any advice from similarly sized SUP surfers would be appreciated!

Chris_M
2128 posts
12 Feb 2017 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

Same size as you.

Also found the Nalu pretty wobbly when I had a play on a mates a while ago, its those convex decks man.
I can only speak from point of view of somebody who has stuck with only one brand which is Fanatic.
I have two - an older Allwave 9'6 and a slightly less old Prowave 9'6
Both have their moments, but are still a bit on the big side of what many people would prefer.

Nice boards though. I am also somebody who likes to be able to relax a bit when doing my thing, so wobbling around on a little toothpick doesn't really float my boat.

Now I've been doing it 5 years or so I'd kinda like to try something a bit closer to 9 foot, but I have had a whole heap of fun out of them. Both boards are actually fairly manouvreable if you get your feet in the sweet spot :)

Smash1
NSW, 824 posts
12 Feb 2017 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

I have got my mates to get the Atlantis Venom ( 4 of them) as their first board and they all love it. If you get addicted to SUP surfing, you will move through your boards very quickly.....

margeaux
QLD, 59 posts
12 Feb 2017 5:06PM
Thumbs Up

Jimmy Lewis striker 10 footer

DiscoStupid
NSW, 90 posts
12 Feb 2017 7:21PM
Thumbs Up

9'6" JP surf pro worth a look ...circa 130-140 l. nice board

Tardy
4919 posts
12 Feb 2017 4:44PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 5.10 96 kgs .I . Use 3 board ,depending how big or how old I'm feeling on the day .(52)
9.6 x32 Hokua .I like this one,it is fantastic when it s big and need to paddle fast and if its rough ,next fav is 8,10 mana harder to paddle but very fast on a wave ....and a 9.1 x32 Hokua .good .all rounder .but you need steep waves .has lots of rocker .

i would suggest a 140-170 litre board .wide is easy . But have some rocker for looseness .

Old crumpet
TAS, 6 posts
12 Feb 2017 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

Have a look at the new
10'5 x 29.5 Nut maybe
or 9' hypernut.
Seem like you doing the right thing and trying a few, ultimately the best way to go.

Hoppo3228
VIC, 736 posts
12 Feb 2017 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

same size, if a couple of kgs heavier..

I started with a 10' x 32" Waterborn Evoke 169L in small surf.

A 10'6" Nalu is a sweet surf Sup - 30L bigger than the 10'.

Or a Sunova The One 9'5" if you are into more of a shortboard shape.

Good luck!

Craig66
NSW, 2435 posts
12 Feb 2017 9:43PM
Thumbs Up

Allwave 9.0
few more kegs than you, but i bet you rounded your weight down, Im over fifty (well i am 50)

supthecreek
2583 posts
12 Feb 2017 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

Husat, with regard to the Search.. it is a very stable board, but even though you are accustom to longer boards, it may be too long for you at this time.
Surfing a board that length requires certain skills that may take a while to develop.

As others have mentioned... and being the Sunova street-walker that I am, I think you would be very happy learning to surf on a board the length, width and volume of "the ONE" 9'5.
Great stability and really easy to paddle and turn. A forgiving board to learn, then grow on.

Have a blast discovering a new sport.... the surf zone will change your life!

GizzieNZ
4100 posts
13 Feb 2017 12:52PM
Thumbs Up

the whopper is wide......but chuck some wind chop into the mix.......is a good solid surf platform that surfs very well.
If I still had one.....would use it quite a bit in choppy conditions.
Not all the time.......but that's what you have a quiver for

Bowerboy
NSW, 141 posts
13 Feb 2017 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

I've been through the whole rigmarole in the last few months. Started with a lovely 10'6 nalu wood deck. Not a great choice to learn on. The thin nose gets crunched easily in the shore break, and the board needs to be carefully handled in surf or it will snap. Landing on the board awkwardly, which happens when you are learning, results in loads of dings.

I finally went for a 9'6 naish quest. 170 liters, bombproof, and surfs really well. great board to get into the surf on, as it can soak up all your mistakes. Very stable, allowing you to focus on actually surfing. Very very strong board, and competitively priced at $1800

Craig66
NSW, 2435 posts
13 Feb 2017 6:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Bowerboy said..
I've been through the whole rigmarole in the last few months. Started with a lovely 10'6 nalu wood deck. Not a great choice to learn on. The thin nose gets crunched easily in the shore break, and the board needs to be carefully handled in surf or it will snap. Landing on the board awkwardly, which happens when you are learning, results in loads of dings.

I finally went for a 9'6 naish quest. 170 liters, bombproof, and surfs really well. great board to get into the surf on, as it can soak up all your mistakes. Very stable, allowing you to focus on actually surfing. Very very strong board, and competitively priced at $1800

Hey Bowerboy, is that your selection of leg ropes on the fence? or do you pick up lots of stray dogs?????

Tardy
4919 posts
13 Feb 2017 4:32PM
Thumbs Up

Good choice bower boy .Ive heard they are good to surf ,cross between the 9.5 mana and 9.6 x32 Hokua
its 33 wide .i think? Great for a 100 kg dude .
and 500$ cheaper .

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
13 Feb 2017 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

I had a 10'6" Fanatic Fly, I was in the high 90 kg range and it was good as a beginner.
I would have stuck with it if it had not exited the car roof not to be found.
I think it was quoted at 170 litres, floated me well.
Swapped to the daughter's 10"6" Nalu, supposed to be 165 litres, (maybe) I found I was ankle deep in water most of the time.
Bought an 11' Nalu, back at 170 litres, much floatier and more reassuring.
Can't comment on surfability - I'm happy to be able to go straight, and steer, if not turn.
Edit.
I just turned 55, never surfed.

Nugdam
QLD, 600 posts
13 Feb 2017 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

I'm 100kegs 6'2 now surfing a 9'2 evoke carbon. Friggin love it

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Surf SUP advice 100kg please" started by Husat