Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

not sup - RAMP RIOT -TORQUAY - 1987

Created by Session > 9 months ago, 23 Jul 2010
Session
VIC, 445 posts
23 Jul 2010 12:11PM
Thumbs Up

Found some old photo's i took back in 1987 of Ramp Riot vert session......23 years ago !

TONY HAWK

CHRISTIAN HOSOI

GONZ

Tony Hawk , Christian Hosoi , Gonz , Lance Mountain all just shredding.
Thought some crew here would appreciate these pics.

This day was JUST INSANE !!!

Rich

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
23 Jul 2010 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!! I saw the Bones brigade at pizzy park in 88.... I would imagine that Lee Ralph was there in 87....how funny was hosoi the "rock god" hes out of prison, back skating and found religon....a fair few others have found religon also

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
23 Jul 2010 12:25PM
Thumbs Up

sick ive got a vid somewhere of that......lol.......old school.......

husq.. i saw that doco of hosoi what a classic story

we had lee ralph grace our presence at the grafton ramp in 89 he was nuts, big burly grinds and airs with hair going everywhere

great photos

glad i gave up riding a few years back as the old bones don't pick themselves up real quick after a few big offs nowdays.....hahaha.....so soft

Session
VIC, 445 posts
23 Jul 2010 12:29PM
Thumbs Up

Yeah ,Lee Ralph was there also .

These guy's are absolute Legends ....

There is a DVD of the Rise and Fall of Hosoi that is epic viewing !

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
23 Jul 2010 12:34PM
Thumbs Up

husq2100 said...

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!! I saw the Bones brigade at pizzy park in 88.... I would imagine that Lee Ralph was there in 87....how funny was hosoi the "rock god" hes out of prison, back skating and found religon....a fair few others have found religon also

I was at the Pizzy bowl for that one. Oh so long ago.

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
23 Jul 2010 12:35PM
Thumbs Up

thats the dvd session it is classic

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
23 Jul 2010 12:44PM
Thumbs Up

I have a og nos hosoi vert deck. unreal to look at

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
23 Jul 2010 1:09PM
Thumbs Up

does it have "the hammerhead" nose rollo

Bnaccas
VIC, 1722 posts
23 Jul 2010 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Nice shots Rich!

Any photos of the crowd? You might see my little kid head amongst all the other frothers.

Funny thing is that 1 little Bolle sticker made me go buy a pair of Bolle sunnies!
I was already kitted out in Piping Hot!

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
23 Jul 2010 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

rollo90 said...

I have a og nos hosoi vert deck. unreal to look at

I have an OG lance moutain complete.....ill stop there though as I know you will kick my but with your powers

rollo90
QLD, 221 posts
23 Jul 2010 3:16PM
Thumbs Up

tha dogman said...

does it have "the hammerhead" nose rollo

oh yes dogman
i will get some pics for u
I have some other goodies aswell

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
23 Jul 2010 3:27PM
Thumbs Up

I've got a Sims 'Staab' that I scored at Cooly Smack Converters. Great nic.

I hit the dude with the 'how much for this old skatey' he goes $30. I said 'I'll give you $20. A collector from Globe offered me 15 times that straight off the bat. Silly bloke at Smacky's didnt know what he was looking at.

Full plastics, truck copers, the works. I missed the Pizzey sessions, if I remember it was a school day and my Mum wouldn't let me go. I was only at Burleigh Primary.....

planesailing
WA, 380 posts
23 Jul 2010 1:27PM
Thumbs Up

So perhaps I'm not the only MOSSer on this forum.
Know some of those faces.... just with a few more wrinkles. LOL.

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
23 Jul 2010 3:51PM
Thumbs Up

I had a Cab deck at one stage, Tracker Trucks, Santa Cruz Slime Ball wheels :) but I broke the deck and got one of Darren Burfords first rock maple decks from the factory in Currumbin. Took it straight to my board shaper and borrowed a spray gun to give it a paint job. Fun times.

CMC
QLD, 3954 posts
23 Jul 2010 3:54PM
Thumbs Up

aus301 said...

I had a Cab deck at one stage, Tracker Trucks, Santa Cruz Slime Ball wheels :) but I broke the deck and got one of Darren Burfords first rock maple decks from the factory in Currumbin. Took it straight to my board shaper and borrowed a spray gun to give it a paint job. Fun times.

Do you remember the ramp at Burfords? Huge.

There was another huge vert ramp in the Valley as well.

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
23 Jul 2010 5:38PM
Thumbs Up

Thats classic! Only logos missing are the Poo Shooter and Bad Billies. If I am not mistaken that was the original ramp which was located at the back of the then unfinished Surf Coast Plaza. One of my first jobs out of college was as a Promotions and Development Officer for the Australian Surfriders Association Vic branch. Our offices in the plaza looked out at the ramp. Funniest thing I ever saw was a couple of the Torquay heavyweights, Pete Jonno and Andrew Flitton rock up and decide they were going to tame the beast. These guys wer'nt skaters but they charged Two Mile and were generally regarded as fearless. One after the other they launched off the top of the ramp, leaned back into big wave drop stance only to have their skaties fly out from under them and do identical concussion inducing back plant to cranium smacks. They left somewhat more humble. As I recall the ambulance was almost a pemanent fixture in the Plaza car park!
Cheers
Sparx

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
23 Jul 2010 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

Sparx said...

Thats classic! Only logos missing are the Poo Shooter and Bad Billies. If I am not mistaken that was the original ramp which was located at the back of the then unfinished Surf Coast Plaza. One of my first jobs out of college was as a Promotions and Development Officer for the Australian Surfriders Association Vic branch. Our offices in the plaza looked out at the ramp. Funniest thing I ever saw was a couple of the Torquay heavyweights, Pete Jonno and Andrew Flitton rock up and decide they were going to tame the beast. These guys wer'nt skaters but they charged Two Mile and were generally regarded as fearless. One after the other they launched off the top of the ramp, leaned back into big wave drop stance only to have their skaties fly out from under them and do identical concussion inducing back plant to cranium smacks. They left somewhat more humble. As I recall the ambulance was almost a pemanent fixture in the Plaza car park!
Cheers
Sparx

classic

i remember seeing footage of a mini ramp down that way with tommy carrol in his super tight boardies doing the same thing

funny as cause he just kept trying and getting nailed

Session
VIC, 445 posts
23 Jul 2010 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sparx ,

Thanks for the ammo on Flinnto , i will remind him of this next time i catch up with him at Billabong ..LOL !!

Remember Kuzzi's takeaway that was there also , and yes this is the original ramp site.

Good times !

Rich

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
23 Jul 2010 6:05PM
Thumbs Up

"Kuzzis Kitchen" Dont want to come over all Vegan but they made the best frakin lentil burgers this side of the Hari's. The inevitable after burger ass gas made life interesting for big Simon Kellet and Alan Atkins with whom I shared office space.
Cheers
Sparx

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
23 Jul 2010 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

21 years earlier ....

Well it looks pretty corny now. Love the shorts!!

1966 first Victorian Skateboard championship.

Skateboards were 12 months down the track from a roller skate cut in half and screwed onto a plank of wood.

No ramps in those days we used to ride the walls of the Brunswick velodrome and imagine we were riding waves.

The comp consisted of a kick turn race, slalom event and a trick section.

The junior section was won by John Law of Quiksilver.

The guy giving the trophies is Mick Dooley a great surfer of the Midget Farrelly era.

Hey Sparxx
Pete Johnno was a really good skateboarder as a kid.

Don't ride a skateboard these days, ....yeah Doggie the wipeouts are almost terminal.

Session
VIC, 445 posts
23 Jul 2010 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

That's just insane Pete Well done !

Those shorts are back , but maybe not that tight !!

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
23 Jul 2010 6:47PM
Thumbs Up

Ripper pic Robdog.
Half expect to see the Williamstown Mafia in the background. A few of them settled down this neck of the woods (Lonnie) and the stories get taller as the beers get colder and the participants get older. Legends all! Didn know Jonno was a skater, could of been Jon Darbs maybe? Regardless, the boys ate it big time!
Cheers Sparx

robdog
VIC, 611 posts
23 Jul 2010 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

No Sparx you're right about Johnno eating it big time on the ramp, he related that story to me one day. Had to laugh.

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
23 Jul 2010 10:43PM
Thumbs Up

thats epic robdog

went down stairs and looked at my skateboard gathering alot of dust next to my old shortboards and had a good laugh

aussiefreebs
VIC, 228 posts
23 Jul 2010 11:26PM
Thumbs Up

This thread has been almost as entertaining tonight as 'Gleaming the Cube' was, or even 'Search for Animal Chin'. Classic!!!

MickV
VIC, 188 posts
23 Jul 2010 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Robdog is that the old Surfa Sam skatie pictured. I loved that board, wish I knew what I did with my old one.

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
23 Jul 2010 11:48PM
Thumbs Up

CMC said...

aus301 said...

Do you remember the ramp at Burfords? Huge.

There was another huge vert ramp in the Valley as well.

I can't say I remember the ramp at Burfords, but I do remember how scary the big ramp at Tugun was without enough flat. The only guy I ever saw ride it well was a bloke from school named Brian Jacobsen.

When they opened Pizzy we would wag school and catch the bus up, it was nothing on what the kids get built now, but we were pretty stoked with it then. I recall spending a lot of time riding in the old netball courts with the big sloped bank, that was our wave at the time.

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
23 Jul 2010 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

tugan was great when they painted it and you would slide a bit before tearing the flesh from ye bones

loved pizzy bowl as it was smoother and larger than my home bowl at junction hill grafton

but the gnarliest bowl was the old bowl at five dock sydney gnarly bumps no flats and heaps of vert

Sparx
VIC, 734 posts
24 Jul 2010 12:16AM
Thumbs Up

Anyone got any photos of the second coming of the skateboard? Mid seventies, urethane wheels were the bomb, preferably California and trucks were Chicago. Cheyne Horan was the man (or wonderkid) on the Golden Breed team and Russ Howell was God. Bowls and ramps and empty pools were figments of some California surf punks imagination. First skatey had the aforementioned hardware attached to a Klemm Bell kicktail flex deck. The old man bolted it together for me and must have had a hard night before he did so, cos that sucker got speed wobbles at just above walking speed. Oh how I coveted the Grentec Big Banana. Nose wheelies were the go and if you could borrow a mates skatey you could style out doing the 'Daffy". Jeez I lost some skin off my toes! Never much of a skateboarder but as an accessory it went brilliantly with my Treads, Levis Californians, Golden Breed Silky and Mexican Cardigan. Ahhhh Happy days!
Cheers
Sparx

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
24 Jul 2010 10:57AM
Thumbs Up

tugun was ok compared to the "thing" at helensvale. Ashmore had two good bowls linked before the bmx club had them filled with dirt the stormwater pipes covered in bitchermin were fun at the pizzy courts....but mostly id street skate...alot in surfers...behind hoyts was a good small set of stairs and handrail. Barites was always a place to go dream....

aus301
QLD, 2039 posts
24 Jul 2010 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

husq2100 said...

the stormwater pipes covered in bitchermin were fun at the pizzy courts.

I had forgotten about the stormwater pipes.

Yes spent a lot of time at Barties back when it was at the base of magic mountain, bought all my connies there

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"not sup - RAMP RIOT -TORQUAY - 1987" started by Session