starboard foil guide 2018/2019

Created by seanhogan > 9 months ago, 2 Jun 2018
seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 Jun 2018 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

new for 2018/2019
a 1100 front wing, a 110 carbon mast, an 85 alloy mast and a 95 fuselage
lots of mix and matches available now !!!

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 Jun 2018 10:18AM
Thumbs Up

serious testing in france :
(gotta love the wetsuit)

BSN101
WA, 2256 posts
2 Jun 2018 10:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
(gotta love the wetsuit)

LOL?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
2 Jun 2018 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

it's okay.... considering the skills, he can wear it
www.facebook.com/benjamin.tillier.39/videos/10155857145788884/

CJW
NSW, 1717 posts
2 Jun 2018 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Will be interesting to see how the new 1000 race limited wing goes against the existing 800 wing once well powered, I suspect maybe faster upwind (from better vmg) but slower off the breeze.

The new f4 wing is 900...middle ground maybe?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
3 Jun 2018 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

I was lucky enough to try the 1100, enhanced stability, early take off and mostly goes through lulls like a breeze !
You can just pump it up and then aim downwind to stay in the air.
Only noticed a small loss of top speed (maybe 1 to 2 knots max !) When Gonzalo was here he tried the 1100 and 800 the same day with no difference at all on the gps

Starboard is really flooding the market with all those parts. A headache to make the right choice, I'm already considering the 95 fuselage....

sl55
128 posts
3 Jun 2018 10:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
Starboard is really flooding the market with all those parts. A headache to make the right choice, I'm already considering the 95 fuselage....

Well, F4 now has fuses of 90, 100, 120 cm. Aluminium just like SB.

Paducah
2464 posts
5 Jun 2018 10:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

seanhogan said..
(gotta love the wetsuit)

LOL?

Very common for car manufacturers to use patterns to obscure body details of unreleased versions

or he could just be channeling his inner battleship

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
21 Jun 2018 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

The MILLENIUM front wing and in the background you can see what seems to be a Starboard ultra light foiling sail (the blue one..)

Paducah
2464 posts
21 Jun 2018 11:15AM
Thumbs Up

That wing is different. Any speculation on the rational behind the shape?
Are the ultralight sails cammed or no cam?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
21 Jun 2018 2:43PM
Thumbs Up

sails "looks" cammed but sincerely no idea, got the pic from a french forum. Tiesda is over there demo'ing the 2019 gear

as for the 1000 wing it is designed to be superfast upwind

tomapoma
1 posts
20 Jul 2018 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

Hiii
Does anyone knows for the SB foil race option of aluminium 85 mast, does it have a plate like the 75 long mast?

Thaaaanks!!

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
20 Jul 2018 5:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
I was lucky enough to try the 1100, enhanced stability, early take off and mostly goes through lulls like a breeze !
You can just pump it up and then aim downwind to stay in the air.
Only noticed a small loss of top speed (maybe 1 to 2 knots max !) When Gonzalo was here he tried the 1100 and 800 the same day with no difference at all on the gps

Hi Sean
what stabiliser was being used with the 1100? Still the 255?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
21 Jul 2018 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

the 300

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
22 Jul 2018 8:39AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
the 300

So it seems like a few more items to be released for 2019.
any idea when the 2019 site goes live?

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
22 Jul 2018 10:50AM
Thumbs Up

we have the info over here, exciting stuff coming our way ! so to sum up the offer :

carbon masts: 110/95/85

alloy masts :95/85/75/65
(last one for surfing, comes with a mounting plate)

rear wing : wave pro 320/230 wave 370/270
"normal" 500/330/

front wing : wave pro 1500/1300 wave 1700/1300
"normal" 1100/1000/800/550

fuselage : 115/95/75/67

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
22 Jul 2018 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
we have the info over here, exciting stuff coming our way ! so to sum up the offer :

carbon masts: 110/95/85

alloy masts :95/85/75/65
(last one for surfing, comes with a mounting plate)

rear wing : wave pro 320/230 wave 370/270
"normal" 500/330/

front wing : wave pro 1500/1300 wave 1700/1300
"normal" 1100/1000/800/550

fuselage : 115/95/75/67

Holly molly
thats plenty to choose from
thanks Sean!!!

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
24 Jul 2018 7:54PM
Thumbs Up

2019 foil boards
www.facebook.com/Starboard.Windsurfing/videos/10156374347075353/

CJW
NSW, 1717 posts
24 Jul 2018 11:09PM
Thumbs Up

Biggest question is, are the PWA going to go back to 1.0m for 2019-2020......? I hope they stick to 91, easier to transport and won't make '18/'19 boards literally worthless at the top end in <12 months. And are the going to bring in a mast length rule?

It's an arms race at the moment....

Adam555
WA, 162 posts
29 Jul 2018 9:42AM
Thumbs Up

Sean- left field query that hopefully you or another starboard foil owner can answer .....for the different starboard fuselages is the ratio of the distance that each wing ( front and rear) is mounted relative to the mast the same for each ?
Reason for the question is that I was thinking of making a longer fuselage for my NP RSX foil hence am interested in the starboard approach as they seem to be leading the charge with flexibility
thanks
Adam

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
29 Jul 2018 10:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adam555 said..
Sean- left field query that hopefully you or another starboard foil owner can answer .....for the different starboard fuselages is the ratio of the distance that each wing ( front and rear) is mounted relative to the mast the same for each ?
Reason for the question is that I was thinking of making a longer fuselage for my NP RSX foil hence am interested in the starboard approach as they seem to be leading the charge with flexibility
thanks
Adam

Hi Adam
in the race setup (800/255 wings and long fuselage) the front wing is further forward than the RSX and also the starboard GT set up.
i ended up shifting straps and mast base position forward to compensate the change in wing posistions.
the problem is when I switch over to GT I need to bring everything aft again.... I will test a washer in the stab to try and counter this when I eventually get back on the water again.
I haven't actually measured the stab distance from the mast but it should be further aft than the short fuselage set ups - will need to measure that to be certain.

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
29 Jul 2018 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
CJW said..
Biggest question is, are the PWA going to go back to 1.0m for 2019-2020......? I hope they stick to 91, easier to transport and won't make '18/'19 boards literally worthless at the top end in
It's an arms race at the moment....

Yes def an arms race at the moment
which is good and bad...
costly for existing foilers to keep up with but excellent for future foilers as eventually things should settle down and I imagine most companies designs and ease of use will start to become more uniform.

Adam555
WA, 162 posts
29 Jul 2018 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Steve certainly interested to know how the ratio changes.

hope all ok after your operation. Am hoping to be back on the water in the next 4/6weeks ...Am finally walking again on the foot after what is I think 10 weeks now since falling

yes no question a ways to run yet in foil design but at current rates won't take long ...

snides8
WA, 1730 posts
29 Jul 2018 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Adam555 said..
Thanks Steve certainly interested to know how the ratio changes.

hope all ok after your operation. Am hoping to be back on the water in the next 4/6weeks ...Am finally walking again on the foot after what is I think 10 weeks now since falling

yes no question a ways to run yet in foil design but at current rates won't take long ...

Yep I'm thinking about the same time layoff, might have a slightly easier start first on the new Wally when it arrives.

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
29 Jul 2018 1:29PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Adam

roughly measured it on both actual fuselages :
dist to front wing insert from mast
race 20
gt 8
dist to stab insert from mast
race 48
gt 20

The race set up certainly makes you move your front foot/or body stance forward

Our local legend J lou colmas (creator of starboard) is full on windfoiling at the moment, he's gone totally strapless to be able to use the race all the time.
He wasn't too happy with the length though, so he's been chopping down and grinding a couple of race fuselage to find the sweet spot.
That's maybe where the new 95 is coming from

Adam555
WA, 162 posts
29 Jul 2018 12:48PM
Thumbs Up

Excellent thanks Sean - think still lots to come here as it's all about stability and once my foot is good will be going 'semi strapless' ( bought some half straps to try!) can't afford another foot layoff

FarNorthWest
NSW, 15 posts
8 Aug 2018 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum and really appreciate the lively discussion and the knowledge here. Anyway, I'm thinking of getting myself a Starboard race set up and am trying to getting my head around if I should opt for the Race (front wing 800, mast 95) or the Race Pro (front wing 1000, mast 110), otherwise similar (fuselage 115 and back wing 255). I know that one might mix the SB foil parts in other combinations but these are the options primarily on offer where I am. I'm tempted by the Race Pro since my usual spot is haunted by light winds but I guess there are trade-offs to be made here in performance but not sure how they play out. I'm currently on a NP RS alu flight that I'm starting to have really fun with, but it requires stronger winds (12-22 knots) and I have no problems riding it in winds gusting between 8-22 knots. Maybe some of you have experience of SB foils or sufficient insights to answer some of these questions:

1) How does the SB Race Pro set up behave compared to the Race set up in stronger winds, say 15-22 knots?
2) Does the higher mast makes the Race Pro trickier to ride?
3) Does the higher mast mean considerably more forces on the fin box so boards with regular deep tuttle-boxes (not foil-ready boards) should be avoided?
3) Is the Race Pro really slower than the Race as the SB 2019 catalogue says? I've read here that a pro indicated no big differences on the gps readings.
4) Does the Race Pro need a wider board and/or bigger sail than the Race?

Grateful for any replies/advises.

FNW

IndecentExposur
297 posts
14 Aug 2018 7:07AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
FarNorthWest said..
Hi all,

1) How does the SB Race Pro set up behave compared to the Race set up in stronger winds, say 15-22 knots?
2) Does the higher mast makes the Race Pro trickier to ride?
3) Does the higher mast mean considerably more forces on the fin box so boards with regular deep tuttle-boxes (not foil-ready boards) should be avoided?
3) Is the Race Pro really slower than the Race as the SB 2019 catalogue says? I've read here that a pro indicated no big differences on the gps readings.
4) Does the Race Pro need a wider board and/or bigger sail than the Race?

FNW,
I too live in a light wind area, and we're at 6000ft (1828M) above sea level which means we lose 18% of our air density. So lift is what I'm trying to accomplish. I started on a GT foil setup (I have a Foil 147), and with a 7.2 sail, am able to pump it up to a flight in about 10 knots. I've already ordered a longer fuselage (race), the larger front wing (1100) and the smaller tail to match the race configuration. I would like more lift and additional stability when the winds are lighter.

That said, from what I've learned, here are my educated guesses on your answers:
1. It has to do with stability. The larger front wing with create more lift requiring your to adjust your flight once in the air. IF you're going 22 knots with the larger wing, the pitch (up and down) will be much faster and a little more unstable in the higher winds. If you have the smaller one in the front, it will allow you to have a bit more angle of attack (you're more at an angle (pointing up)) to stay in flight. This gives you a little more control, but also can create more drag in less winds/speed.

2. I don't know. The taller mast can help keep you lifted over larger waves, but I'm not sure about how much harder it would be to control. I can't imagine a taller mast where I live, just no need for it and it requires deeper water. Although it will help you pump to a flight a little quicker due to the additional horizontal forces it avoids. The taller mast will also put you in a higher chance of 'going over the handle bars', or pitch-pulling.

3a. yes. the longer the force exerted on the bottom, it is amplified at the tuttle-box.

3b. Yes. Just like I mentioned above, you have more surface moving through the water adding to the overall resistance. I'm not sure about how much drag it would be, but there is drag.

4. Wider board: Not really. The narrower boards are less stable (roll) than the wider ones. Mostly personal preference and how much control you want overall. As for sails: if you get the bigger front wing, you'll get more hydro-lift on the foil. This is the reason I'm switching to a larger front wing: I want additional lift instead of getting a larger sail.

Of all the research I've done, SB has the better foil setups out there. I love the idea of mixing and matching everything.

Adam555
WA, 162 posts
17 Aug 2018 2:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seanhogan said..
Hi Adam

roughly measured it on both actual fuselages :
dist to front wing insert from mast
race 20
gt 8
dist to stab insert from mast
race 48
gt 20

The race set up certainly makes you move your front foot/or body stance forward

Our local legend J lou colmas (creator of starboard) is full on windfoiling at the moment, he's gone totally strapless to be able to use the race all the time.
He wasn't too happy with the length though, so he's been chopping down and grinding a couple of race fuselage to find the sweet spot.
That's maybe where the new 95 is coming from

Hi Sean just a follow here were those measurements from the front of the mast to the rear of the front stabiliser and vies versa for the rear stabiliser or on centre lines ? I've purchased a nice piece of round Alluminium (1m long 33mm dia) and some stainless threaded inserts so build thread coming shortly ...

regards Adam

seanhogan
QLD, 3424 posts
17 Aug 2018 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Adam

from rear of mast to front of stab : 48 cm
from rear of mast to actual stab wing : 53.5cm
see pic (sorry, night time):

from front of mast to front wing with body part : 20 cm
from front of mast to actual front wing : 24 cm

As you may notice I use the large stab( cause that's all I have..)
So to counteract the powerful lift and need of front foot pressure I was advised to put a washer under the center bolt of the stab. (that way the front part of the stab doesn't stick out and create unwanted vortex/whistling ).

I works a treat !!! yesterday I was using it in 17 knts with a 7.0 OD, perfect stability !!
I can now keep my $$ for other toys instead of buying the race stab (not to mention how good it is is very light wind)

CJW
NSW, 1717 posts
17 Aug 2018 7:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Adam555 said..

Hi Sean just a follow here were those measurements from the front of the mast to the rear of the front stabiliser and vies versa for the rear stabiliser or on centre lines ? I've purchased a nice piece of round Alluminium (1m long 33mm dia) and some stainless threaded inserts so build thread coming shortly ...

regards Adam

Just a note; It's not a great idea to leave a stainless steel insert (i'm assuming helicoil or similar) permanently threaded into an aluminium section as you will get Galvanic corrosion. Of course sometimes it can't be avoided in the case of having to helicoil a stripped aluminium thread etc but if possible it's to be avoided.

A tapped aluminium thread will be fine as long has you have a decent thread engagement, I had zero issues in the aluminium fuselage I made. I know a few of the brands have had issues with stripped threads but it's a case of poor design rather than the material; poor thread engagement, literally only 3-4 threads.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Foiling

"starboard foil guide 2018/2019" started by seanhogan