Forums > Windsurfing General

Where are my battens going? (Help with Techno 293)

Created by Citysurfer > 9 months ago, 25 Nov 2015
Citysurfer
NSW, 6 posts
25 Nov 2015 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Hey Guys, been reading for a while but just joined because I need some help. Just got back into windsurfing after a six year hiatus. I picked up an old techno 293 setup but am struggling to figure out why the two battens on the cams seem to have run out of travel. (I can no longer tighten them) and i still have crinkles in the sail. The battens aren't sticking out anywhere and looking in side the cam I see a hardened material end pocket with the batten inside, roughly half way up the cam.

I checked the bic spare parts list and saw the cam and a widget, I see no widget inside these cams but I understand the design may have changed since my 2012 model was purchased.

Is there some sort of loop or something I'm missing which restricts the batten end pockets travel into the cam?

Thanks in advance :). I attached a photo of the batten adjustment maxed out but I don't have a photo inside the cam.

BenKirk
NSW, 600 posts
25 Nov 2015 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

could be that the batten has worn through a webbing strap at the cam end so you can't tighten it (this happens with none-cam sails so not sure your setup) or that the batten is a rod to tube and the rod has worked itself into the tube... if that makes sense.

sure there is someone here with more wisdom than me on this though!

Mark _australia
WA, 22114 posts
25 Nov 2015 11:26AM
Thumbs Up

Hard to see but that luff panel looks baggy - not enough downhaul, rather than batten tension. Need more pics really though

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
25 Nov 2015 1:57PM
Thumbs Up

Batten tips might be broken. If you don't use enough downhaul the tips are put through some fierce bending when the sail rotates.

melih
134 posts
26 Nov 2015 12:38AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Citysurfer said..

Hey Guys, been reading for a while but just joined because I need some help. Just got back into windsurfing after a six year hiatus. I picked up an old techno 293 setup but am struggling to figure out why the two battens on the cams seem to have run out of travel. (I can no longer tighten them) and i still have crinkles in the sail. The battens aren't sticking out anywhere and looking in side the cam I see a hardened material end pocket with the batten inside, roughly half way up the cam.

I checked the bic spare parts list and saw the cam and a widget, I see no widget inside these cams but I understand the design may have changed since my 2012 model was purchased.

Is there some sort of loop or something I'm missing which restricts the batten end pockets travel into the cam?

Thanks in advance :). I attached a photo of the batten adjustment maxed out but I don't have a photo inside the cam.

Dear Friend,
In my opinion, you demaged the end of the batten slot. I produce my own windsurf sails. There are many sail pictures in my website. If you check the picture 12 (DSCF
0550) you can get some idea. Click on the picture twice and make it big. You will see the gray hard dacron part. You demaged it or there is a hole in it so batten can reach to the other side. Solution is stitch up the demaged dacron part. If you don't have a sewing machine probably you need a professional help. By,

mathew
QLD, 2027 posts
26 Nov 2015 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Stick your camera into the boom-cutout, and take a photo of the batten tip. This will helps us...
Also, pull the batten completely out of its pocket ... if there is splintery fibreglass, then you might have a problem.

mr love
VIC, 2309 posts
26 Nov 2015 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

Pull the battens out and take a look. If they are tube battens connecting to rod sometimes the plastic joiner fails and the rod starts to slide up inside the tube when you tension it up. If that's the case I am pretty sure i have some spare joiners.

Citysurfer
NSW, 6 posts
27 Nov 2015 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks guys I'll go in for a closer look and take some photos tomorrow.

Citysurfer
NSW, 6 posts
30 Nov 2015 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks everyone the batten tips were both damaged, I got one out whole and the other still has a bit in there :(

I have two questions

1. They are battens no 5 and 6, which are unavailable for purchase from Bicsports, can I get standard battens cut to size? http://www.bicsportwindsurf.com/products/spare-parts,3,109.html
2. Whats the best technique for fishing out the broken ends.

Thanks again!

NotWal
QLD, 7428 posts
30 Nov 2015 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

If you can pull the batten apart you can just replace the rod part. Rods are standard diameter but the tapers are different. It wouldn't be difficult to shave one to size. Just avoid making splinters. Two (and 3) part battens usually have plastic joiners that are press fitted in the tube part. They're not usually glued together but they are a tight fit. You may be able to muscle them apart but you have to be careful not to damage the tube. If you had to clamp it I would find a piece of dowel or something to fit in the tube to stop it from crushing. If you cant pull it apart or if you break it while trying you can just buy a longer two part batten and shorten the tube end and the rod end to get the joins in the same place.

You can fish the broken ends out with something pointy like a fid working your way along the outside of the pocket. If you can't get them out that way you can cut the pocket seam open near the broken end and manoeuvre the broken tip out. You don't need a big hole. Keep it small. When you have the bit out it's best, but not essential, to sew the hole closed. It IS essential to fix the the threads to stop them unravelling. Superglue works well but you can't subsequently run a sewing machine over it if you change your mind. You could hand sew it though with an awl. Don't mess with the closed end of the batten pocket.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing General

"Where are my battens going? (Help with Techno 293)" started by Citysurfer