Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

PULBAH ISLAND CLASSIC, SUNDAY 13th JANUARY 2012

Created by Squish > 9 months ago, 18 Dec 2012
Squish
NSW, 124 posts
18 Dec 2012 8:44AM
Thumbs Up

Pulbah Island Classic is on again Sunday 13th January 2013.

2012 was an awesome experience, don't miss 2013.

To quote Murray "Its just not a race its an adventure."

Registration and briefing will be held at the Slips in Belmont from 11am.
Look forward to seeing you there. Should be a lot of fun!

2012 Pulbah Island Classic Winner! Byron

Happy Days
Nathan

AUS4
NSW, 1249 posts
18 Dec 2012 11:53AM
Thumbs Up

" Adventure " does this mean crocodiles, bull sharks, dudes with spears and stuff ??

BRUCE H
NSW, 179 posts
18 Dec 2012 1:26PM
Thumbs Up

How many laps do we do?

stevewalsh
NSW, 56 posts
18 Dec 2012 3:03PM
Thumbs Up

AUS4 said...
" Adventure " does this mean crocodiles, bull sharks, dudes with spears and stuff ??

You name it Rick and Lake Macquarie has it

JustinL
NSW, 465 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Dec 2012 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Same day as the Ledge to Lancelin!
if google earth is right this race is twice as long as Ledge to Lancelin!

Ben 555
NSW, 453 posts
18 Dec 2012 4:00PM
Thumbs Up

Justin,
No offence to the Pulbah Island Classic but the distance comparo is funny.

If the PIC was held from Nobbys to Belmont maybe - but there is no comparison between sailing in closed waters with a strong probability of winds sub 15 knots compared to open waters with a strong probability of winds over 15 knots.

Plus there is always the break to come through once you get to Lano and then the bearaway to get to the pier and pub once on the inside of the break - by then both legs are on FIRE

Good Luck mate - its such a fun day

PS - one year Anders B, Byron Marsh and Julian Anderson sailed the course in reverse and back as training a few days out from the event. That year I sailed a 53cm wide and a 5.5 race sail (be a 7 now) fully powered from start to finish. When coming through the line up (blind as with no prescription glasses) I destroyed my favourite fin on the reef cutting it too fine - the memories of the pain are still present, it was awesome

byronmc
NSW, 500 posts
20 Dec 2012 2:11AM
Thumbs Up

I have competed in both and loved both. Unable to get to WA so Lake mac it is. I would love to see the course extended as not long enough for me. A marathon is meant to inflict pain and endurance neither of which I undertook last year. But hey I am very hypoactive, I had the best time sailing in the best waters in the world and of course always good when you win it.
Can not weight such a nice place to sail.

fanatic02
NSW, 300 posts
20 Dec 2012 7:36PM
Thumbs Up

byronmc said...
I have competed in both and loved both. Unable to get to WA so Lake mac it is. I would love to see the course extended as not long enough for me. A marathon is meant to inflict pain and endurance neither of which I undertook last year. But hey I am very hypoactive, I had the best time sailing in the best waters in the world and of course always good when you win it.
Can not weight such a nice place to sail.

Never noticed that you cant sit still !!!!!!

BarryFawkes
NSW, 148 posts
21 Dec 2012 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

havnt been to lancalin but i have been to paradise

Mitch Pearson
QLD, 270 posts
3 Jan 2013 10:27AM
Thumbs Up

Hi Nathan,

I'm not much of a racer but I have borrowed some formula gear and am keen to give this race a go.

Do I need to be a member of Marmong Sailboard Club to go in it?

Is there any other safety equipment required other than a life jacket?

Cheers,

Mitch

Squish
NSW, 124 posts
4 Jan 2013 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Pearso said...
Hi Nathan,

I'm not much of a racer but I have borrowed some formula gear and am keen to give this race a go.

Do I need to be a member of Marmong Sailboard Club to go in it?

Is there any other safety equipment required other than a life jacket?

Cheers,

Mitch

G'day Mitch

You need to be a member of a Windsurfing Club not necessarily Marmong.
Yes Life Jacket is compulsory.
Sail number is required.

Cheers Nathan

Squish
NSW, 124 posts
7 Jan 2013 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Pulbah Island Classic 2013 on Sunday is also Andy Regan memorial race.

Sunday's Entry Fee is $20 (or $30 for both Saturday & Sunday)

BarryFawkes
NSW, 148 posts
13 Jan 2013 9:25PM
Thumbs Up

GREAT day and pain is only temparary oh my aching body

BarryFawkes
NSW, 148 posts
13 Jan 2013 9:30PM
Thumbs Up

well done to the new boys who all finished matt mitch and sam well sailed hope to see you again soon

sboardcrazy
NSW, 7916 posts
16 Jan 2013 12:07PM
Thumbs Up

What sort of conditions did you have, how long did it take and any photos?

Squish
NSW, 124 posts
18 Jan 2013 8:30AM
Thumbs Up

Everyone was on their big rigs and there was plenty of wind at the start, with everyone flying up to Yacht Club mark near their marina. Great run around Marks Point but it became light and patchy between Wangi & Pulbah.
Heading west around Pulbah you needed to stick close to Pulbah to milk the gusts. The tip of pulbah was a slog in the wind shadow of Pulbah Island, but was a great run once you were back in the wind.
Heading back between Pulbah & Wangi to Swansea you needed to stick closer to Wangi for some great lifts.
Around Wangi and hook into the 12knots at Marks Point. Back up to LMYC marker then great downwinder to The Slips.

Big Thanks to Neville and Glenn on the Start Boat, thanks to everyone who turned up for the Classic.

Congratulation to Byron to make it another WIN in 1 hour 30 mins! Hot on his heels were Tibor & Sam Fawkes (not sure who was 2nd 3rd)

Squishie

Squish
NSW, 124 posts
18 Jan 2013 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing   New South Wales

"PULBAH ISLAND CLASSIC, SUNDAY 13th JANUARY 2012" started by Squish