Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2010 carbon Isonic long term durability?

Created by fibersnap > 9 months ago, 31 Mar 2014
fibersnap
52 posts
31 Mar 2014 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Have opportunity to buy a 2010 woodcarbon 131 isonic at good price.

I weigh 85 kilos and am very careful with gear.

Have read lots of horror stories about the starboard carbon construction before they switched to biax carbon from uni.

My question is whether those isonics are REPAIRABLE - what I mean is that I don't care about cosmetics and added weight. I really like isonic shape - loved my 2010 isonic 101, but sold it because of small cracks in bottom.

I wish I had kept the isonic and just redid the bottom. But that board was wood which are supposed to be more durable.

I have a backup board, so don't mind missing sailing time due to repairs and don't care if the board gains weight as long as the rocker and shape is unaffected.

thanks for any insights.

geared4knots
TAS, 2645 posts
31 Mar 2014 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Everything is repairable,
What sort of damage are you thinking of putting this new board through

fibersnap
52 posts
1 Apr 2014 1:38AM
Thumbs Up

I guess I meant to ask if the board is built so lightly that after a while it loses structural integrity and the rocker gets deformed - at that point no amount of carbon and resin will help... Like I said, I don't care about a little extra weight and cosmetics...

I had good luck with an f2 slalom board with airpipes from circa 2007 that had ****ty construction - for relatively little money I had a big chunk of the deck rebuilt and the board is going strong. It's ugly but fast :)

I'm a careful sailor and don't step awkwardly on the board or get launched.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2010 carbon Isonic long term durability?" started by fibersnap