Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2014 Starboard Quad 82 v Nude Chopper 84

Created by Acker > 9 months ago, 19 Mar 2014
Acker
VIC, 81 posts
19 Mar 2014 1:03PM
Thumbs Up

Had a fun TopGear style test of the 2014 Starboard Quad 82 (carbon) up against the Nude Chopper 84 at 13th last Sunday. Thought I'd write some comments:

Both incredible boards.

The 2014 quad is probably Starboard's best so far. They seem to have nailed the right balance of liveliness and control (forgiveness in chop) even in the wood-carbon construction. It seems a lot better in a straight line than past quads, making jumping better. Bottom turn grip and drive is ridiculous. Top turns also have a nice balance - really versatile and responsive, whether going for tail-release, rail-gouge (more heel pressure) or aerial.

Switching to the Nude Chopper 84 (twin), I knew it would be insane on the wave and wasn't disappointed. Really felt like more of a surfboard. With a thinner tail, the rails bite into the water more than the quad (the quad feeling more buoyant even though 2litres less), and, while doesn't have quite the same drive in the bottom turn from having 4 fins, can still get plenty of drive from using the rail more in conjunction with thrust from the wider twin fins. Flying downwind on the wave, the rail just slices into the water like butter (even at speed) and, same in the top-turn, can bury the tail into the lip (jamming the heel) or whip the tail out (more toe pressure).

Left in a bit of predicament, which one I'd prefer overall, particularly thinking about the Starboard Nuevo (which carries the Chopper heritage). I think for insane, radical surfboard-style turning, the Nude Chopper would win, but the 2014 Quad still feels awesome, has more drive and grip and is a bit more stable and forgiving - would be perfect for people wanting to get into wavesailing. Gotta pit it against a Starboard Nuevo 80 next!

Relapse
VIC, 574 posts
19 Mar 2014 1:18PM
Thumbs Up

From a wave nubies perspective, the quad seemed to chugg up wind a little better and it definitely felt grippier on the wave, you could push it a lot tighter in the turns but the Chopper felt more lively and really flowed through the turns and flew down the line, felt a lot more like surfing.

Agree with Andy, both great boards just a matter what feel you are after. The NuEvo/Chopper is definitely worth a try, very different from the traditional quad.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2014 Starboard Quad 82 v Nude Chopper 84" started by Acker