Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2017 Neilpryde RS:Racing EVO 9

Created by TheTank > 9 months ago, 18 Oct 2016
TheTank
124 posts
18 Oct 2016 5:12AM
Thumbs Up

Just the colorscheme for the 2017 NP RS:Racing EVO 9, no specs yet..

ka43
NSW, 3062 posts
18 Oct 2016 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

Very late 80's/early 90's neon colours. Looks great!!!!!!!!!!!

TheTank
124 posts
2 Nov 2016 3:11PM
Thumbs Up

The real deal!

gavnwend
WA, 1364 posts
10 Dec 2016 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Evo 9 site up. Full specs & sizing.$$$$!

Shifu
QLD, 1903 posts
10 Dec 2016 9:15PM
Thumbs Up

Rigging video with AA. It seems to take so long the sun goes down on him.

Orange Whip
QLD, 1039 posts
10 Dec 2016 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shifu said..

Oh NP h8r, would have needed an infa red camera if it was red with a ****ing boomerang on it

Orange Whip
QLD, 1039 posts
11 Dec 2016 6:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Shifu said..

I was surprised watching the video how quick and simple it is to rig a 4 cam race sail. No more complicated than my 2 cams freeride sail, well IMO.

my7thlife
58 posts
11 Dec 2016 9:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Orange Whip said..

Shifu said..

I was surprised watching the video how quick and simple it is to rig a 4 cam race sail. No more complicated than my 2 cams freeride sail, well IMO.

Well, although they showed some very basic rigging steps (like for instance adjusting the extension to the recommended settings) they skipped the part where Antoine pops the remaining 3 cams in. I wonder whether it was as easy as the first one after all...

Piv
WA, 372 posts
12 Dec 2016 8:40PM
Thumbs Up

Race sails with wide luff pockets reig up fairly easily. The trick for getting the cams on is having the right amount of downhaul, if they wont go on, release a bit of down haul, if they pop off, pull on a bit more downhaul. Once you know the right amount you can go straight to it, eg 7.8 firewing needs to be pulled down to 14cm on the extension. My 4 cam reflex r7 race sail with a really wide luff pocket is as easy or maybe even easier to rig than the 3 cam firewing. If the downhaul is right, it takes seconds to pop each cam on. Its way quicker to poke a mast up a wide luff pocket than a narrow one. I dont see what the fuss is about. I would rather spend a bit more time rigging and get the power, comfort and wind range these sails offer. Of course wave sailing is a different kettle of fish, but for flat water i reckon these sails are worth the cost and effort. Of course for racing its essential.

TheTank
124 posts
12 Dec 2016 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
my7thlife said..

Orange Whip said..

Shifu said..

Well, although they showed some very basic rigging steps (like for instance adjusting the extension to the recommended settings) they skipped the part where Antoine pops the remaining 3 cams in. I wonder whether it was as easy as the first one after all...

I've been sailing with NP Racing sails since the Evo 4 (except 8) and have found that mounting the boom isn't needed for popping on the cams. Just downhaul with about 12 to 15 cm left to go. Pop on the cam above the boom, next the top one followed by the one below the boom and the bottom one as last. If the bottom one goes difficult either add or release some tension. Next fully downhaul. Check if cams are square to the mast and mount the boom. Never had any difficulty popping on the cams with Evo's. Imho rigging a modern race sail is easier than rigging a freeracer with 2 or 3 cams due to the massive mastsleeve giving heaps of space to work with.

fibersnap
52 posts
13 Dec 2016 1:40AM
Thumbs Up

Another vote for ease of rigging of race sails. It was the worst in the narrow mast sleeve era before the RS4 because the sail would invariably accordion while forcing mast through or deriggin. The wide luff sucks for waterstarting if sail gets submerged, but the rigging is way easier.

I would rather rig a race sail with wide luff than even a no-cam just because of the issue of having to wrinkle the sail onto the mast.

Only a wave sail with rdm would be easier.

It's especially easy with low tension sails like maui sails TR's. You barely even need a crank and there is zero problem with cams popping off when you don't want them to.

madlad
WA, 145 posts
13 Dec 2016 9:22AM
Thumbs Up

I love the look of these sails, but the $4000 price tag is a bit much..

nudie
NSW, 227 posts
17 Dec 2016 10:19PM
Thumbs Up

When is Australia going to see these. They look to be RS-RACING LT1 but called RS-FLIGHT! Must say they do look sweet ??

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
17 Dec 2016 10:55PM
Thumbs Up

Aren't these the ones to go with the NP foil kit?

nudie
NSW, 227 posts
18 Dec 2016 10:22AM
Thumbs Up

I believe so but they do look sweet..

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
18 Dec 2016 7:26AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nudist said...
I believe so but they do look sweet..

Not with blur harness lines

Rob11
240 posts
18 Dec 2016 7:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
nudist said..

When is Australia going to see these. They look to be RS-RACING LT1 but called RS-FLIGHT! Must say they do look sweet ??

The good thing about these is the price, cheaper than the RS Racing Evo9 at $3,999

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
1 Feb 2017 7:53PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure where the 3999 figure comes from ?? Misleading to say the least !!
Have just taken delivery of the E 9 6.4 m2 & price around 1/2 that quoted above .
Sail looks amazing but no wind to provide a review yet .
Detailed prices available on SHQ website .

Rob11
240 posts
1 Feb 2017 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

At $2,330 it is a complete rip off imo... $1,000 more than other brands for what benefit apart lower quality/durability?

BSN101
WA, 2244 posts
2 Feb 2017 3:08PM
Thumbs Up

What difference is there between an EVO7 & EVO9? 7.8m for instance.

Boom & mast lengths might be longer/shorter but on the water is it noticeable?

I have just got an EVO7 7.8m.

gavnwend
WA, 1364 posts
2 Feb 2017 5:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
BSN101 said..

The colour graphics thats about all.

Cluffy
NSW, 414 posts
2 Feb 2017 9:22PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
gavnwend said..

BSN101 said..

The colour graphics thats about all.

You could just about say that all the way back to Evo 3. Which is fine as the Evo's have been the best race sail for quite a while. Meanwhile severne has been steadily maintaining a 2 year development cycle and have overtaken Neil Pryde as the best race sails in my opinion.

Cam Mcleod
QLD, 68 posts
3 Feb 2017 3:55PM
Thumbs Up

HMMmmm
The NP web site outlines the changes /evolution involved in the race sail development program so if you are genuinely interested in the differences between say an E7 & an E9 then its not hard to find out ...
Re Value for money -absolutely the product is expensive but remember the average NP race sail construction involves around 100 hrs of labour & 40-50 different material types .
A close look at the sails confirms the incredible design complexity ...
The track record of the RS racing program speaks for itself (world speed record results/world cup results ) & NP have a large sponsorship program which doesn't come cheaply.
Think this debate needs some balance ...

Steve Charles
QLD, 1237 posts
3 Feb 2017 8:32PM
Thumbs Up

Well said Cam and you do get what you pay for......

ka43
NSW, 3062 posts
5 Feb 2017 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

Plus 1 to what Cam said.

F2
QLD, 209 posts
5 Feb 2017 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

Well said Cam, you do get what you pay for, I have been very happy with all my NP race sails for years now.

pepe47
WA, 1379 posts
5 Feb 2017 12:08PM
Thumbs Up

I have an rss mk 7 (or LT1) which cost me 1600.00. It's a great sail with the improvement of getting rid of the clip attachment at the clew end of the sail and adding loopsters to aid both normal and adjustable outhauls. Also seems to be able to be bellied out a fraction more than the previous year. For my money, I'm extremely happy with it and can't imagine where some of the comments regarding the price have originated. After all 78.73334 % of statistics are fabricated

Brett Morris
NSW, 1197 posts
8 Feb 2017 10:12AM
Thumbs Up

I just ordered some Evo9 Formula sizes. They were a bit more expensive, but my Evo7's needed zero maintenance after clocking up a lot of TOW, so I could justify the extra cost...I have to admit to liking the bold colours, that are visible from the beach also.

I still struggle with clear monofilm sails. Can't see the point in making our sport invisible....

nudie
NSW, 227 posts
18 Mar 2017 6:37PM
Thumbs Up

Well what can I say about this is that I feel like I'm a high. Well the truth is I feel like a kid again opening my new toys.
Talk to the team at WindsurfnSnow and they will hook you up with a kit similar or same depends on what your chasing. Me I'm chasing to beat my own PB's and just sail with the brothers, team mates, sister and everyone else.. But most of all have fun with everyone.

Bring on the wild west Primbee

Thanks Sam and Team

Dezza
NSW, 919 posts
19 Mar 2017 1:46AM
Thumbs Up

I'm looking forward to seeing that flying out on the lake! Nice looking sail

Rob11
240 posts
19 Mar 2017 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Looks great but the harness lines look cheap compared to the $6K rig