Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

2017 Simmer BlackTips (First Look)

Created by jh2703 > 9 months ago, 19 Sep 2016
jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
19 Sep 2016 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

I picked up my new 2017 Simmer BlackTip quiver the other day from the Windsurfing Shop...Sadly as always when you get new kit the wind fails to deliver but I thought I'd give you a quick look anyways. I've gone 4 batten sails this year after riding 3 battens for the past 2 season...No real reason, Just a change.

Here's what Simmer has to say about the BlackTips...

COMPACT FOUR BATTEN WAVE SAIL

"The 2017 Blacktip presents the best overall combination of drive and maneuverability in our wave sail range. Blacktip is the most popular choice for the modern progressive wave riding style when you have multiple factors at play like apparent wind, gusty power bands, competitive crowds, and the need to get planing quickly to get out of trouble. Blacktip features ultra-light and direct handling, while also providing an expanded wind range to allow the rider some flexibility in rigging and tuning. The compact outline offers a lot of front-end drive to generate speed in turns, the 4 batten profile extends the threshold of environments that one can venture out in. Blacktip goes from powered up to neutral instantly, which allows you to generate more torque off the bottom turn with a generous release of power off the top, all the while not compromising whatsoever in placement and position. Blacktip is always a top choice. It rides so effortless – everything feels easy !"

I've rigged the 5.3 for the purpose of the pics, It's my most used sail size for Gerroa.

As you can see I bought a few new ones, My quiver consists of 4.2, 4.7, 5.3 & 5.9...I normally run 4.7, 5.0, 5.3 and 5.7 but decided to spread the gap a little more and get the smaller 4.2 this year for our crazy winter westerlies.

The first thing you notice about the sails is the build quality, They look super tough with reinforcement in all the key areas.

A nice padded tack pad, It has the usual pocket inside for quick stashing of the downhaul rope.

There's a big loop on the top for easy de-rigging.

The batten pockets have nice little rubber pads on the end to protect them from wear.

The sails have 2 kevlar stretch control tendons to assist with stability.

Heavily reinforced clew with a single eyelet.

The batten ends that rotate around the mast have a kevlar reinforced patch to eliminate wear from the batten rubbing on the mast.

All rolled up...It has the standard elastic loop to secure the sail.

The larger 5.9 I got in the BlackTip X version, Heaps more X-Ply and a PVC window so it can handle a beating.

I've got myself some Simmer RDM11 masts in 370 & 400 to run the sails on, For the larger 5.9 I got the 430 RDM10 which is a beefier construction. The RDM 11's weigh in at 1.2 and 1.3 kg and the RDM10 at 1.9 kg, They are really nice looking masts.

Here's the specs...

weight: 3.1 kg
luff: 371 cm
boom: 154 cm

weight: 3.3 kg
luff: 392 cm
boom: 165 cm

weight: 3.5 kg
luff: 420 cm
boom: 171 cm

weight: 4.2 kg (Full Ex-Ply sail)
luff: 446 cm
boom: 177 cm

The sails look really good and even though they were not in stock in Australia at the time I placed the order I was assured that if they had them in-stock at Simmer HQ Sweden it would only take around 10 days to be delivered via FedEx. It actually took only around 7 DAYS in total to be delivered to the Windsurfing Shop located in NSW at Blackalls Park. It was great service, Great communication and ultimately a great price that made me go the the Windsurfing shop and Simmer Style.

Stay tuned for the review once I get them wet.

Cheers J.

Rob11
240 posts
19 Sep 2016 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

Surprised to see a clear monofilm window = big nono for wave sailing!

legless
WA, 852 posts
19 Sep 2016 4:19PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rob11 said..

You can opt for the Blacktip X With an all X-Ply construction and PVC main panelling if you are not into a super light weight sail.

Faff
VIC, 1165 posts
19 Sep 2016 6:26PM
Thumbs Up

Severne no good?

uweh
311 posts
19 Sep 2016 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

rdm11 1.2kg for 370 and 1.3kg for the 400 ?

SHEETIN
291 posts
19 Sep 2016 4:31PM
Thumbs Up

Nah the Severne is better!!!

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
19 Sep 2016 6:35PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..
rdm11 1.2kg for 370 and 1.3kg for the 400 ?

Yep...That's correct (a little less actually as I rounded them up)

Faff
VIC, 1165 posts
19 Sep 2016 6:49PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SHEETIN said..
Nah the Severne is better!!!

Shame about the colours though.

uweh
311 posts
19 Sep 2016 11:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
legless said..

Rob11 said..

You can opt for the Blacktip X With an all X-Ply construction and PVC main panelling if you are not into a super light weight sail.

you can choose between x ply hd version or monofilm window...

poehaaa
62 posts
20 Sep 2016 3:01AM
Thumbs Up

Wow. The 2017 Simmers look very good! Might have to upgrade my 2012 Icons, just for the new look (the quality is so good that I cannot think of any other justification for the purchase ...).

legless
WA, 852 posts
20 Sep 2016 4:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
uweh said..

legless said..

Rob11 said..

you can choose between x ply hd version or monofilm window...

Yes they have 2 versions as they do with the Icon. Blacktip and Blacktip X
simmerstyle.com/sails/product.aspx?modelNr=7112
simmerstyle.com/sails/product.aspx?modelNr=7111

jh2703
NSW, 1222 posts
23 Sep 2016 8:25PM
Thumbs Up

I had my first run on the 5.3 in b&j conditions today and must say it's going to be a great season, The sail was sweet straight off the beach. I just rigged it out of the bag to the quoted settings added some batten tension and it was perfect. The sail has a nice soft feeling about it with a very smooth power delivery, I only got a short session but managed some nice jumps, tacks and gybes and it gave me a great feeling about the sail. It rigs with a lot less downhaul then I'm use to but the sail exhausts the gusts with ease, I was hit by several squalls while out and it was very manageable with little to no effort required to keep things in total control. The wind was probably 20-25 knots with some bullet gusts, In the lulls the sail kept me planning longer then expected and quite often recovered from a complete stall to power up and sail off again. Overall first impressions are better then I'd hoped for, A nice stable & comfortable sail the is soft and forgiving but also has power to keep me planning longer and with ease and the upwind ability was also really good. So at this point nothing to report negatively about the experience, Just can't wait now to unleash these sails in the waves to see what they can do.

I'll keep you posted with the future developments.

J.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"2017 Simmer BlackTips (First Look)" started by jh2703