Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

Quatro cube 105 2016

Created by Rob0104 > 9 months ago, 11 Jul 2016
Rob0104
89 posts
11 Jul 2016 2:28AM
Thumbs Up

Hi , thought I'd share my early view on the 2016 Quatro cube 105l. I bought this to replace my 2013 Quatro 98l as I felt I needed a bigger spread of volume between my new high wind wave board . Let me start with my old 98, I sailed it in all conditions from 4.2 -6.2 sail, onshore , cross and classic down the line . It's a board I'd really grown to love the more I sailed it, so it was a difficult decision to up grade as I couldn't really fault it.
I've only sailed the 105 3 times, Irish summer wind letting me down, however nailed both down the line and cross on mushy conditions. The first thing I noticed is because of the volume distribution it likes getting your feet back quickly when starting to plane. It does plane very quickly, acceraltion to top speed is very impressive meaning on launching in waves hitting jumping ramps is easy and fun. It pops over white water extremely easily, taking some of the worry out of launching into waves in marginal conditions. At 105 litres , me being 90 kg it means more waves days are accessible , always a good thing. It does not feel big however, at 62cm wide its slight narrower than my old 98 and i feel it's slightly more comfortable carrying speed in chop. In the air its compact shape means it feels like a much smaller volumes board, I'm looking forward to trying some big air .
Ive sailed it down the line in half mast conditions on a 5.3 sail. First impressions really impressed me. It grips and turns at speed on the bottom turn and is awesome off the lip . I imagine I'll find it much easier to get air off the lip as this board gives the rider a lot of confidence with its its ease of sailing combined with radical performance.
First impressions I would say it's an improvement on the 98 it replaced. It's fun , easy, and radical all at the same time
congrats to Quatro
rob

stehsegler
WA, 3451 posts
11 Jul 2016 12:37PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the review ... That said I am always suspicious of reviewers that only have one post.

Rob0104
89 posts
12 Jul 2016 3:57AM
Thumbs Up

No need to doubt my intentions, I am a non sponsored sailor who decided to review my new board as tests are usually for the smaller boards. I looked for reviews of the older 110l quad and couldn't find any. Nor could I get any info on the 105 so I decided to give my thoughts to try and help people like myself who are thinking of going for a larger quad.

uweh
311 posts
12 Jul 2016 5:11PM
Thumbs Up

thanks..rob0104...

philn
738 posts
12 Jul 2016 9:00PM
Thumbs Up

There's a mini review of the Quatro Cube 105 vs the Quatro Mini Thruster 94 on the UK Boards forum. Interesting that the sailor thought the 60 cm wide 94 L Mini Thruster not only turned better than the 62 cm wide Cube 105, but also planed earlier:

http://forums.boards.mpora.com/showthread.php/77229-Quattro-Mini-Thruster-the-Ferrari-of-windsurf-boards

I had the 2014 Cube 98 and I now have the 2016 Cube 95. The newer Cube is more power hungry. For me the older Cube 98 was comfortable slogging with a 5.5, while I find the newer Cube 95 L is only comfortable with 5.2 or smaller, and is only happy when the sail has enough power to plane easily. For cross onshore conditions the fast/snappy/excitable nature of the new 95 L is fantastic on the wave - again provided it is powered up enough. If there is enough wind the new Cube really is a joy to wave ride. But whenever I try slog with it I wish I was on the older version of the Cube.

Rob0104
89 posts
30 Sep 2016 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,
i have since added the cube 85 to my quiver, I have also had a chance to sail the 78 and the 103 supermini's in powered up 3.7 and 4.2 conditions.
Since my first post on the 105 having had more sailing time on the board . As I mentioned earlier , the 105 requires stepping back quickly to get planing. I agree with philn about the sloggy feel but I do overcome this with stepping back and bearing off. It is a new type of board , and in my experience I find more commitment on any board will get me up and planing earlier, the new cube is no exception. Compared to my old 98 the width between the new 95 and 105 becomes more critical , the 98 was 63 wide, as the new 95 is only 60 i can see why phil is having problems with the sloggy feel, i would say the 105 planes more or less at the same time as the 98 did, the extra volume makes it easier to stand on when the wind drops and gives it an edge when popping over waves when launching. A friend sailed my 105 yesterday with a 4.2 in waves up to logo, he's about 100kg and his first impression was amazement at what he could do on a 105 litre board. I was on my new 85 with a 4.2 , first time sailing it DTL, and i have to say i'm very pleased with how well it rides in proper waves. I only have had it out a few times in onshore and would say it is one of the best boards ive sailed in onshore.
I was in Tarifa in august and had a chance to sail the goya quad 85, and the 103 and 78 quatro superminis. Comparing the goya to my quatro 85 quad i would say its more a question of which graphics you prefer. both are cracking boards. Regarding the superminis, i have to say they are both a lot of fun. I would possibly of went for them instead of the cubes if i had a chance to try before buying. Both boards require respond to pilot input and are just so much fun to sail. I would love to try one down the line, a lighter friend bought the 85 as his light wind board and tells me its excellent DTL. He's a much better wave sailor than i am (ex pro) so if he's happy i'll take his word on it.
Happy sailing y'all
rob

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
30 Sep 2016 10:52PM
Thumbs Up

I have not sailed the 2016 Quatro Cube 105 but I have a 2014 Quatro Cube 110 and a 2015 Quatro Pyramid 92 and weigh 92 kg. I like these boards but was hoping to simplify my quiver.

I haven't sailed the new Quatro Super Mini Thruster but was thinking of purchasing one. I was thinking I wanted to replace my 2015 Quatro Pyramid 92 and my 2014 Quatro Cube 110 with one wave board.

I was wondering if the Quatro Super Mini Thruster 103 could do it all as the “right in the middle board”. My sails range from 4.2 Banzai up to 6.3 Banzai Essentially I would use the new board in waves of around head height most of the time or smaller and occasionally on flatwater and just bump and jump.

I sent an email off to Quatro and it was answered by Pascal Bronnimann.

In answer to my query he stated that "The super mini type board works great in side/onshore conditions but also in side shore when the waves are small and/or mushy. It isn’t the board that can do it all but for the conditions you sail in for sure the right fit."

Then I also asked him the following questions and received the following answers:

Q1-How does the Mini go in bigger waves say mast high ?

Pascal Bronnimann-> I only tried a proto of the super mini in mast high fast Maui North shore waves, was scary, tail so wide - and wanted to go a certain radius and not the one I wanted… but mushier mast high waves should be fine.

Q2-Does it slide out/spin out, down the face more than say a narrower board ?

Pascal Bronnimann--> not really but it feels like it might...

Q3-How about light wind sailing on flatwater ?

Pascal Bronnimann--> beautiful!

Q4-Does it plane earlier than say a Quatro Cube 110 from 2014 ?

Pascal Bronnimann--> yes

Q5-Is it capable of higher top speed than the Cube 110? ie is it faster in real world conditions ?

Pascal Bronnimann--> I don’t think so, it planes early but seems to have more of a limited top end speed

Q6-Is it capable of a higher top speed than a Pyramid 92 ? ie is it faster in real world conditions ?

Pascal Bronnimann--> no

I have since decided to keep my boards and not change over as I have invested in a 115 litre Goya Bolt and a quiver of Mark sails and a range of other freerace equipment. I have enough new gear for this coming season..

I still think maybe next year I will get a Quatro Supermini 103. Unfortunately I don't think the board will simplify my quiver. Instead they may expand it with the Supermini being the early planing board in light wind mushy real world waves. I am however encouraged that it works well in powered up conditions. I reckon I may be able to use it to replace the 2014 Quatro Cube 110 at least in lighter conditions, but not sure if I want to give up that board yet.

I hope to get a sail on a demo, soon at Surfsail,Perth.

Rob0104
89 posts
8 Oct 2016 3:15AM
Thumbs Up

Hi aribenasher, I never had a chance to sail the 110, however having sailed the new 105 cube and the 103 superminis I don't think either would be as comfortable as your 110 on bigger sails. A mate of mine bought the new 115 goya quad and is getting on really well with it. He pairs it with the 95 quad as his high wind board , like myself he mainly sails in onshore conditions and really likes how both boards preform. I agree that the superminis feel like they have a limited speed compared to both the Quatro and goya quads, however I would not describe them as slow. They are well capable of big jumps and making the most of onshore waves. I only sailed the 103 super mini with a 4.2 and was surprised at how well it coped in strong wind conditions. however, while modern boards have a wider wind range than their predecessors,I have yet to sail board that does it all if like me you weigh over 90kg. The 103 does handle high winds, anyone out there sailed it in 5.7 or 6.2?
rob

Rob0104
89 posts
21 May 2017 6:25AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all, regarding the 105 with bigger sails in marginal conditions, I have bought k4 17cm centre fins . I found that the MFC fins supplied didn't provide enough drive or grip when using my 5.7. It was difficult to balance the board and sail. With the k4's everything feels really balanced, whereas before the sail would feel heavy on the backhand and the board would be prone to spin out.
Ive also had a change to sail the 103 super mini with a 5.3 and a 5.7. I would say the same regarding fin selection, the supplied fin was great with the 5.3 but like the quad the board didn't feel as well balanced with the 5.7.
Comparing the 2 boards I would recommend the quad if your aim is to sail cross off waves. However if you want a board for onshore, chop, bump and jump conditions then the super mini is the one to buy, in my experience it's the most fun board I've ever sailed in these conditions. Im 90 kg and the 103 super mini will cover onshore from 4.2 to 6.2 days comfortably, although twill needs bigger fins when you go over 5.3. If you're able to get the right size super mini for your weight you're looking at a viable one board with 3 or 4 sail quiver which should cover most onshore conditions .
hope this helps.
cheers rob

philn
738 posts
21 May 2017 11:10PM
Thumbs Up

I was pretty critical of the 2016 Cube 95 L last time I posted on this thread, but I've got more time on it since then. Now that I'm better in tune with it I like it even more than the 98 L Cube it replaced for the cross and cross on conditions I get to sail in. I've used it from 4.2 to 5.7 and as long as there is enough wind to pump onto a plane (which it does earlier than the 98 L Cube now that I've learnt to step back earlier) it is a great board.

I recently had a sail on a 99 L Fanatic Stubby, which I think is a similar design brief as the Super Mini Thruster. The waves sucked so I can't give any feedback on it's wave capabilities, but my overall impression was fun, fun, fun. It planed really early and felt lively.

drdick
21 posts
21 May 2017 11:29PM
Thumbs Up

hi everyone, hope i can help everyone here. Remember, we are all different and what suits one may be a devil to the next.My stats are 95 to97kg depending on beer consumption, sail in real waves and most of the time in lightish wind of all directions. Have been on a 105 cube for about 4mths , purchased after a bad experience with the worst board ive ever ridden which i did big bucks on. Not going to name the brand or board but it was a dog. Happy to say the 105 cube has made me happy. I have sailed it in wind from almost nothing up to 30 kts and waves from flat to serious size and sails from 5.3 taka to 6.4 ezzy zeta( first one in australia ). So happy with it i went and purchased the 95 as my strong wind board. It is a easy, fun board to sail in a wide wind range. My early concerns with its short length have been put to bed after some epic end of season sails with the new 6.4 zeta. When it comes to a combination of easy to use, plaining ability and smiles on a wave, combined with getting my weight around it is hands down the best board i have sailed. I was worried heaps that the 6.4 would be a struggle on it due to its short length but no way! My mates have always used me as a rigging guide but this board has them stumped.Im getting around way better than i have in the past. Happy punter i am and thanks quatro for making such a gun board.

Jens
WA, 340 posts
22 May 2017 8:37PM
Thumbs Up

Glad to hear that you are still loving it Dick! I'm sitting in SE Turkey reading about sailing instead of doing it but will be back out there in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, does anyone know where Goya and Quatro are heading with their wave boards this year?

Cheers, Jens

philn
738 posts
23 May 2017 10:35AM
Thumbs Up

I heard Quattro is fine tuning their current shapes, no earth shattering changes.

Rob0104
89 posts
28 Feb 2018 1:20AM
Thumbs Up

just an update regarding fins. As I mentioned earlier I got some k4 centre fins to add a bit more drive with my 5.7. They made a huge difference, however I put a dent in one , tried to sand it out and discovered that while k4's are cheap compared to other brands minor repairs are not on. (anyone who can point me in the right direction regarding repairing k4 please do. ) Luck would have it that MFC decided to offer anyone who had a board with the brittle red fins could buy a new set (new compound) of fins at cost. I took them up on this and got a set of 400s for the 105 cube. I absolutely love them. fantastic with the 5.7 and 5.0.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"Quatro cube 105 2016" started by Rob0104