Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

goya quad specs 2018

Created by uweh > 9 months ago, 4 Jul 2017
uweh
311 posts
4 Jul 2017 11:54PM
Thumbs Up

Hi,
found the goya quad specs for 2018...is that right that the 118 liter modell is only 62,5 cm wide ?

thanks in advance

uwe

northy1
430 posts
5 Jul 2017 2:53AM
Thumbs Up

yeah that's correct - I too am intrigued...they have lost a lot of width it seems?
ie minus 4cm max width in the 118/116, -2.9cm in 104/106, -1.8cm in 94/96

So where is the vol...thicker / depth?

If anyone can post a pic of a 2018 vs 2017 that would be great

I have little clue on board design but id *guess* for those of heavier disposition or sail light winds it might be harder ie feeling of less float?

Jens
WA, 340 posts
5 Jul 2017 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Lots of choice for wave sailors in the Goya and Quatro ranges. Life is going to get confusing.

uweh
311 posts
5 Jul 2017 5:18PM
Thumbs Up

thanks northy1...than 62,5 is really a difference to 66,5...so lets wait...for first tests

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
6 Jul 2017 2:00PM
Thumbs Up

This is interesting the Goya Custom Pro Quad got narrower in outline and not shorter but volumes are still there as this presumably gives more control, radical performance and better in waves and higher winds with the narrower outline. The Custom Pro Surfwave Thruster and One Pro Freewave Thruster are wider and presumably earlier to plane in lightwinds. I note that Quatro also has a number of options in their wave and freewave line and this year Goya are doing the same. I suspect one will need to order what they want from the dealer rather than expecting the shops in Australia to stock all the boards.

AlexF
484 posts
6 Jul 2017 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

The same with me.
I already wrote an Email to Goya, asking for the differences 2017 to 2018 for the big Quad, and also to the new 116 One Freewave.
No answer untill now.
Alex

seabreezer
377 posts
7 Jul 2017 7:51AM
Thumbs Up

A picture of an actual 118 - 2018 would be amazing also ... they must have some from the factory ? it must be chunky as to fit 118 into 62 wide ...

Tallboy
14 posts
7 Jul 2017 6:06PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
A picture of an actual 118 - 2018 would be amazing also ... they must have some from the factory ? it must be chunky as to fit 118 into 62 wide ...

Taken from Tarifa dealer meeting. Does look thick but seems to turn ok

For the big guys lucky to have nice conditions it looks a great board. I had the older 118 and had some good days on it but it was a bit slow to plane when sailing without waves.

seabreezer
377 posts
7 Jul 2017 6:22PM
Thumbs Up

cheers tallboy - that looks chunky 15cm thick ?! ... would have to be maybe at least 15cm I reckon to pump ...

Tallboy
14 posts
7 Jul 2017 6:34PM
Thumbs Up

Some more pics of the Tarifa meeting here
www.2xs.co.uk/2018-goya-quatro-windsurf-kit-arriving-soon/

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
12 Jul 2017 11:43PM
Thumbs Up

Francisco has spoken on the philosophy behind the 2018 Quads. I expect it has been designed around Brawzinho of super abilities who at around a fighting weight of 85 kg is more normal in mass compared to many of the other PWA sailors who are more like LW spidermonkeys. I do think this board sounds like it has a faster rocker than previous shapes which hopefully will promote earlier planing. How much faster is of course relative as one would expect the Goya One Pro Freewave in single or thruster guise to plane earlier but perhaps on this Custom Pro Quad the use of the twin fin option, with covers (and removing side fins), will increase early planing and speed as suggested by Francisco in light winds.

Faff
VIC, 1165 posts
13 Jul 2017 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
RichardG said..
Francisco has spoken on the philosophy behind the 2018 Quads. I expect it has been designed around Brawzinho of super abilities who at around a fighting weight of 85 kg is more normal in mass compared to many of the other PWA sailors who are more like LW spidermonkeys. I do think this board sounds like it has a faster rocker than previous shapes which hopefully will promote earlier planing. How much faster is of course relative as one would expect the Goya One Pro Freewave in single or thruster guise to plane earlier but perhaps on this Custom Pro Quad the use of the twin fin option, with covers (and removing side fins), will increase early planing and speed as suggested by Francisco in light winds.

This is very interesting. I've been told when picking equipment to see what the brand's sponsored riders are like in weight - that will give you an indication whether the sail/board could be good for you. (I don't know how reliable this is. For example, both the Moreno twins and Koster use 5-batten Blades.)

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
8 Aug 2017 3:30PM
Thumbs Up

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
8 Aug 2017 3:34PM
Thumbs Up

uweh
311 posts
8 Aug 2017 4:52PM
Thumbs Up

thanks for the video...

AlexF
484 posts
14 Aug 2017 4:31AM
Thumbs Up

If i get it right what Francisco says in the vids, he suggest going one size up to the recent boards. E. g. if i ride a 96 now as my small Board, following the +5 liter rule and having 90 kg, he suggests now to go one size up more to this, +10 liters, that means i would be on a 104 in the 2018 lineup. Quite huge for 4.0 - 5.7.
What so You think?
Alex

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
14 Aug 2017 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..
If i get it right what Francisco says in the vids, he suggest going one size up to the recent boards. E. g. if i ride a 96 now as my small Board, following the +5 liter rule and having 90 kg, he suggests now to go one size up more to this, +10 liters, that means i would be on a 104 in the 2018 lineup. Quite huge for 4.0 - 5.7.
What so You think?
Alex

If you accept what he says then it would appear you are correct. You could opt for the 118 and 94 litre to give you the maximum spread given the new board philosophy of small sail bigger board. On the other hand you could always keep your existing boards. I do not doubt the newer boards will be better than the old ones. You could opt for the Quatro Cube 104 and 95 (or 85) instead. Maybe you should email Lalo Goya or Pascal Bronnimann for advice.

RichardG
WA, 3743 posts
14 Aug 2017 11:51PM
Thumbs Up

If you contact the You Tube poster of this you may be able to obtain some information about his experience and gain insight.

northy1
430 posts
28 Sep 2017 3:34AM
Thumbs Up

any on the water reports yet?

AlexF
484 posts
24 Oct 2017 5:12PM
Thumbs Up

German Surf mag did test the Quad 89 now.
Despite being the largest board in the test (volumewise) it was the narrowest and felt the smallest when slogging.
Planing was good average, turning among the most radical, comparable to the 88 Quatro Pyramid.
So it's true what Francisco told in Tarifa, you have to choose the new Quad at least one size bigger to have the same or even better accessability ("... for replacing a 2017 86 choose the 89 or even 94 ...").
For me having a 96 the 94 still isn't an option for a replacement, but the 104 lightwind shape isn't an option either.
So i have to wait for an Quad 99 to come or change to another brand or Flikka custom.
Alex

northy1
430 posts
25 Oct 2017 2:43AM
Thumbs Up

hi Alex - sent you a PM!

seabreezer
377 posts
25 Oct 2017 1:07PM
Thumbs Up

Hiya Alex ... can you translate the text ... interested to see what they say in detail ... the german surf mag reports are generally pretty good - the test team good ability / technical level from memory past years ...

Plainview
WA, 175 posts
26 Oct 2017 6:28AM
Thumbs Up

Latest UK Windsurf mag has a very positive review of the Custom Thruster Pro 86. Good signs for the range hopefully.

AlexF
484 posts
26 Oct 2017 10:46PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
seabreezer said..
Hiya Alex ... can you translate the text ... interested to see what they say in detail ... the german surf mag reports are generally pretty good - the test team good ability / technical level from memory past years ...

In short:
The last years Allrounder got more radical and specific due to being 2cm narrower and more domed deck. More tippy when slogging, tippiest board among the test group. Planing good average with a slight threshold, but then good acceleration.
Among the best at front and backfoot turns, very good control on big bottom turns, but mediocre at keeping speed on slow/small wave bottom turns due to narrow tail. More of a board for experts now, than the last generations.

The test confirms Franciscos recommendation to take a size bigger than last years modell for the same performance, but easier use, due to more volume.

Alex

Pierre74
29 posts
29 Nov 2017 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

seabreezer said..

Hi all,
Intersted in this 118 too as a unique board to replace both my AHD Sealion 115L. and Cube 110L.
I think the board is present in the background of videos.
In full scren HD, those screenshots were the best I could get.
Ok it's not the outline but better than nothing.

AlexF
484 posts
30 Nov 2017 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
t2wheeler said..
Latest UK Windsurf mag has a very positive review of the Custom Thruster Pro 86. Good signs for the range hopefully.

Can't find anything about the test on the net.

Could you give us what they found?
Thanx, Alex

Plainview
WA, 175 posts
1 Dec 2017 8:03AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AlexF said..

t2wheeler said..

Can't find anything about the test on the net.

Could you give us what they found?
Thanx, Alex

I'm probably breaching copyright here...

BTW the latest issue has a good review of the Goya One 96, which I happen to own :)

AlexF
484 posts
1 Dec 2017 10:51PM
Thumbs Up

Wow, thanx.
Amazing verdict of the Thruster.
Now i just have to wait for the right size for me coming to replace my Quad 96.
Will happen soon hopefully.
Alex

Tallboy
14 posts
1 Dec 2017 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Had the 94 on demo for a few weeks. Nice board but I prefer my 96.
The 92 thruster looks good but like Alex will have to wait until they make a bigger one.

AlexF
484 posts
2 Dec 2017 12:49AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tallboy said..
Had the 94 on demo for a few weeks. Nice board but I prefer my 96.
The 92 thruster looks good but like Alex will have to wait until they make a bigger one.

Could you tell us a little about the differences?

According to Francisco there's something on the way for us bigger guys ...
Alex

Tallboy
14 posts
2 Dec 2017 2:15AM
Thumbs Up

94 is trickier to sail. The reduced width makes it more unstable when off the plane. Most of the spots I sail have little wind on the inside so this is important for me. On the plus side the board planes quick and feels very fast. Footstraps are further forward and feels more balanced. For turning I was struggling with getting the rails set. Maybe it needs a different technique? I think the 96 is a very easy board to sail and I'm happy with its performance.

The footstraps, fins, pads and paint are all improved on the 94. Board is quite a bit lighter than my 96. I think my 96 has the carbon all over.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Gear Reviews

"goya quad specs 2018" started by uweh