Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

Showdown 2014

Created by JockyC > 9 months ago, 1 Nov 2014
JockyC
TAS, 210 posts
1 Nov 2014 5:30PM
Thumbs Up

Today we had our first races of this two day regatta, and we had a solid windsurfing turnout on the Bic Techno 293's. 5 Entries is the most we've had in a while, so it's a positive sign for the future of the sport and the class. Unfortunately, the conditions weren't perfect for the fleet, which was made up of a majority of new-comers to the class - 25 knots is really hard to handle a 7.8/6.8m sail and a 203L board in! I was seriously impressed by the lads for just getting out there and having a go though.

The first race saw 4 of us get across the start line, Liam Virtue unfortunately couldn't get his kit under control and hitched a ride back to shore with the safety boat. The rest of us swiftly proved to the rest of the classes in attendance at the regatta that we were the fastest, blasting through everyone who had a start before us and getting around the whole course in record time. Fergus Charles completed the first leg, but made an executive decision to head in and not get rescued, which was clever given the conditions. Angus Calvert completed one lap out of two, but was exhausted and also hitched a ride back to shore. That left Morgan Davies and myself to fight it out - but after crashing off the start line in a huge puff, Morgan was never able to get back and I took the win.

The second race was even windier, up to 35 knots in the gusts! Morgan and I struggled hard to get around the course, but again outshone the other classes. A bit of extra weight helped me to get another bullet for this race.

The Race Committee then decided we should head in for lunch and a rest, but the racing was cancelled after that as the wind got crazy and wouldn't settle down. The results for the day are at the following link ---->
http://www.yachtingaustralia.com.au/site/yachting/event/67766/overall_13.html?Tkn=142837

Tomorrow is looking at bit more sedate, so hopefully we get a few more finishes and some more close battles!

SBTAS
TAS, 40 posts
2 Nov 2014 9:27AM
Thumbs Up

Great work Jock. Enjoy today nice weather for it!!

TGale
TAS, 301 posts
2 Nov 2014 1:14PM
Thumbs Up

Have been enjoying looking at the racing this morning (through the sunroom window ). Quite a lot of boats out but some especially impressive skills and speed on display in quite overpowered and gusty conditions by the 2 sailboarders out (Jock and Morgan?) and a 49er (with spinnaker). Impressive and looks like a lot of fun!

JockyC
TAS, 210 posts
2 Nov 2014 5:47PM
Thumbs Up

What a day! It was about as tough as racing gets out on the Derwent for the second day of the showdown! We had 40 knot gusts recorded across the course, and an average windspeed of 25 knots. The wind was extremely gusty and shifty though. Once again, all of the lads headed out but it turned out to be a similar story to the first day. Liam decided to get some practise in close to shore and not race which was very sensible. The other 4 of us all got across the line again for race 3, with Fergus making it about 3/4 of the way of the course before having a few crashes, running out of energy and hitching a ride on a safety boat to shore. Angus completed 1.5 laps of the 2 lap course, but headed in when the fatigue started to set in. Both of these two showed huge improvement, better set ups and some more experience helped them out a lot - well done to you guys!

Race 3 had a different leader off the start line, with Morgan getting the early initiative from the pin end of the start line. He tacked of early in hope of some better breeze, but this turned out to be a bad decision and left him on a knocking tack. He also had a crash, and was pushed back down to second. I got around the top mark first, but about half way down the second run I had an outhaul problem and was forced to stop and fix it which allowed Morgan to catch up. The problem was fixed just as he went past me, and we rounded the bottom mark nose-to-tail with Morgan in front. It was a close race up to the top mark, but some technique problems meant Morgan couldn't find as much height as me allowing me to nab the lead and from there it was a one way track to the bottom - no passing lanes. This gave me 3 total wins over the regatta. This was such a fun race and real close, made seriously challenging by the conditions! Downwind's were out-of-control and scary as hell, up winds were a total battle and a real slog.

For race 4, the conditions only got worse, as some rain set in and the wind continued to build and the gusts got even more erratic. I got the better start this time, and tacked early, just as Morgan had last time, but timed it in a gust and got a lifting tack. This put in a solid leading position all the way around the top mark and to the bottom mark, where I went to the right side of the course. This looked like a good move at the time, but once I got there the wind had disappeared and I was left sitting in about 5 knots. Morgan saw this, and went to the other side of the course, taking a huge chunk out of my lead. Fortunately for me, the wind came back and I held a slender advantage around the top mark, which I held to the finish.

Following this, all racing was called off and the regatta ended as the wind and rain got even worse! It was a super tough regatta for all, and a big thank you to all the organisers. Well done to the boys, they showed huge courage and massive improvement over the regatta and I'm really proud of them!

Select to expand quote
TGale said..
Have been enjoying looking at the racing this morning (through the sunroom window ). Quite a lot of boats out but some especially impressive skills and speed on display in quite overpowered and gusty conditions by the 2 sailboarders out (Jock and Morgan?) and a 49er (with spinnaker). Impressive and looks like a lot of fun!

It would have been Morgan and myself out there, I think we outshone everyone. And the boat with the kite was actually a 29er, the youth version of the 49er! They are very similar, but a bit smaller and easier to sail on a day like today. Had a ball!

easty
TAS, 2213 posts
2 Nov 2014 6:11PM
Thumbs Up

Big respect to all of you for giving it a go in those conditions, and either knowing your limitations and bailing appropriately, or actually finishing.

Steve Charles
QLD, 1237 posts
2 Nov 2014 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Well done to everyone this weekend. Big well done Jock for taking 4 bullets out of 4 races. I would also like to say a special mention to Jock for helping the younger guys out especially my son Fergus and another newcomer Liam. Jock is always so passionate about windsurfing and he is a great ambassador to the sport. So thanks Jock, great stuff and happy birthday 17th birthday today (he will hate me saying that)

AUS02
TAS, 1981 posts
3 Nov 2014 3:35AM
Thumbs Up

Great write-up Jock, really good to hear how the conditions were and how the races were sailed. Well done on the four bullets and to everyone that went out and raced.

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Tasmania

"Showdown 2014" started by JockyC