Wingspan: 1050mm
Aspect Ratio: 9.8

Cool new v-stab too.

Rumoured to be available in May.

Hdip
384 posts
10 Mar 2021 6:41AM
Thumbs Up

9.81 aspect ratio. Who is going to be able to ride this thing. I'm interested to see it in the wild.

baldy123
WA, 390 posts
10 Mar 2021 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Good find Pat.
I hope the extra top screw in the front wing goes into the existing fuses with shorter bolts, like my pic.
Screws into side of fuse are similar to what Starboard do on their gear. Not sure if really needed??
time to sell off my HS1850 and get one of these when they are available. New tail look sweet too.

dejavu
812 posts
10 Mar 2021 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

I can't get the link to work (maybe its been removed?).

I wonder if Armstrong will have other HA foils for sale soon? This one looks like a winner.

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
10 Mar 2021 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

Kinda a premature leak. Armstrong would probably want this removed too. I can't wait for it!

bigtone667
NSW, 1502 posts
10 Mar 2021 12:05PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Hdip said..
9.81 aspect ratio. Who is going to be able to ride this thing. I'm interested to see it in the wild.

AXIS 1300 is 9.XX Aspect Ratio and it is awesome to glide on (although the area is a lot larger).

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
10 Mar 2021 9:11AM
Thumbs Up

Can't wait to try it

MidAtlanticFoil
672 posts
10 Mar 2021 9:49AM
Thumbs Up

I've heard the added top of wing screw is fully compatible with existing fuses and can be added to existing wings if preferred. Everything is essentially forward and backward compatible. There will be a jig to allow adding a hole to the top of the wing to accommodate the top screw.

Also will be screws on the left and right of the mast/fuse. I imagine this will be something you could add, although this would involve drilling through the fuse and tapping new threads.

All of this serves to tighten up the whole rig and may be more needed for heavier riders than featherweights like myself.

Clamsmasha
WA, 311 posts
10 Mar 2021 2:41PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bigtone667 said..

Hdip said..

AXIS 1300 is 9.XX Aspect Ratio and it is awesome to glide on (although the area is a lot larger).

It won't be hard,
Plenty have been riding these @ AR10+

sabfoil.com/en/products/wing-1000-wind-race-987-cm2

criblu15
WA, 1 posts
13 Mar 2021 6:16AM
Thumbs Up

saw this floating around social media yesterday....

emmafoils
307 posts
13 Mar 2021 6:13PM
Thumbs Up

You are going to need a TON of wind to wing with this. It will have a high stall speed. Looks amazing for surfing bigger conditions.

hilly
WA, 7203 posts
13 Mar 2021 6:17PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..
You are going to need a TON of wind to wing with this. It will have a high stall speed. Looks amazing for surfing bigger conditions.

It is not a surfing wing. I wingding the 1250 in 12 knots @ 105kg. This will need less.

stroppo
WA, 727 posts
13 Mar 2021 6:50PM
Thumbs Up

I agree Hilly I can windfoil in 10 kts on a 1000 ha foil and heavier than you and a windsurf rig is even heavier than a ding

eppo
WA, 9378 posts
13 Mar 2021 9:34PM
Thumbs Up

Be awesome for fast Dwinders when swell small. Oohlala

emmafoils
307 posts
14 Mar 2021 7:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

emmafoils said..

It is not a surfing wing. I wingding the 1250 in 12 knots @ 105kg. This will need less.

I am not saying one cannot wing with a foil like the 1125 but there is no way a 1125 cm2 foil with AR close to 10 will go in less than a 1250 cm2 foil with AR of around 5.5

hilly
WA, 7203 posts
14 Mar 2021 7:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

hilly said..

emmafoils said..

I am not saying one cannot wing with a foil like the 1125 but there is no way a 1125 cm2 foil with AR close to 10 will go in less than a 1250 cm2 foil with AR of around 5.5

All HA foils I have used are more efficient so once going they keep going especially if you can pump well. With a wingspan over a metre it will have some lift.

foilthegreats
542 posts
14 Mar 2021 11:27AM
Thumbs Up

In my experience the higher the aspect ratio the less surface area you need to make the foil work.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
14 Mar 2021 2:03PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like it was (heavily) inspired by the Moses 1000

kobo
NSW, 1069 posts
14 Mar 2021 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Crickey that Moses has the mast a long way back on the fuse, is that for wind foiling?

stroppo
WA, 727 posts
14 Mar 2021 4:24PM
Thumbs Up

Looks like a windfoil race setup

dejavu
812 posts
15 Mar 2021 12:35AM
Thumbs Up

Here's a review of the W1000 as a winging foil for those who haven't already seen the video:

Alysum
NSW, 1025 posts
15 Mar 2021 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
foilthegreats said..
In my experience the higher the aspect ratio the less surface area you need to make the foil work.

that's correct. I constantly have to remind people to stop looking at surface area when they want to transition from mid-aspect to high-aspect. You need a lot less surface with H.A.

Select to expand quote
kobo said..
Crickey that Moses has the mast a long way back on the fuse, is that for wind foiling?

yes it was originally designed for wind foiling.

Livit
WA, 542 posts
15 Mar 2021 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Alysum said..

foilthegreats said..

that's correct. I constantly have to remind people to stop looking at surface area when they want to transition from mid-aspect to high-aspect. You need a lot less surface with H.A.

It is true and not true... If HA was the holy grail of all wings, there wouldn't be a place for the rest. HA still require more skills than a mid aspect.
SAB is about to release 2 mid aspects which I reckon are more suited to the masses for wing foiling.

There is a comparison from Mackiteboarding that highlights the key difference between HA and MA (Moses 1000 vs Fone Phantom 1480).www.mackiteboarding.com/news/joes-thoughts-on-the-moses-1000-vs-fone-phantom-1480/

sunsetsailboards
442 posts
15 Mar 2021 11:44AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..

while I haven't ridden this particular foil, I can at least relay my 1st experience with what I'll call a true HA foil (in winging terms only... AR ~10+). First of all, those things scare me. My friend has offered up his F4 race windsurf foil to me plenty of times for a test ride, and I had always turned him down. I was a competent to proficient windfoiler on Slingshot and Fanatic recreational gear, and that race stuff just looked too dangerous. I picked up winging last February. I was windsurfing one day (slapper) and a guy I know who used to be an OG windsurf slalom racer, turned kiter (then racer), now winger... he wanted to trade off gear in the water and have a go on the slapper. We swapped, and it was my first go on his gear and all stuff I had never ridden before: 4m Wasp, Mike's Lab kite formula board cut down in most dimensions with footstraps which I don't normally use, and an F4 windsurf race foil 900mm span w/ area I think in the 800-900cm range. I was expecting the foil to be a real struggle, especially considering a foreign board and wing. I had ridden another F4 foil that I didn't really care for, and I was not expecting this experience to go any better considering the AR. The takeoff was easy and controlled and did not need a divine act to get going. Simply pump the wing as normal and start flying. The ride was extremely stable, and the glide was unlike anything I have experienced. I think at the time I was riding the Fanatic HA 1750 (AR ~6) wingset, but possibly I was on the SS i76 windsurf setup for winging. Since then I have ridden foils that have similar specs that ride completely different, so my lesson is to ignore some of these numbers and just try what you can and see what you like.

I just assembled my Moses W1000/S400/647 glider. The thing honestly scares me, and I might round off some sharp corners before its maiden voyage, but I am interested to see what the ride is like. Hopefully tomorrow.

halfwaythere
29 posts
15 Mar 2021 12:57PM
Thumbs Up

I'm still relatively new to winging -- only a couple of months in -- so take all of this with a grain of salt.

I've had 2 sessions on the Moses W1000 using a fairly large board, 120 liter F One V2, 5m Wasp v1 wing, I weigh 85 kgs. Wind was 20 mph. I don't have it dialed in yet, but so far I will say it's easy to ride, it does have more glide than my 1100 and 790, and is definitely faster (+3-7 mph). All in all, it has a lot of flexibility. The stall speed is low enough that you can ride SF Bay wind chop or ground swell outside the Golden Gate bridge and stay on the same wave for a while or you can choose to pump ahead to the next one or two in front of you... did I say it was fast?!

Having said that, I don't love the sharp/pointy razor sharp tips that could lacerate me or my wing if I take an awkward wipeout. The 1100 and 790 are much less intimidating (no sharp ends) so I can be much more aggressive on pulling into waves or cutting hard on turns. Jury is still out if I'll ride the 1000 regularly in waves. It seems to turn fairly well on waves, not as good as the 790 or 1100, but still fun. One other thing I noticed is that when the water is turbulent (ebb tide, wind blowing opposite, boat traffic), it still gets pushed up/breaches unexpectedly. I was hoping with less surface area the wing wouldn't breach as much. I thought it would just knife through all of that stuff.

I've been wondering if the Armstrong 1250, Lift 200 HA or V2 Surf 200 would provide a better balance of surfy feel and glide without the threat of a major wound. They don't look as death bladey. The new Moses 940 looks like a Lift foil though so maybe I'll try that out too. Damn sport is addictive and expensive with cool new stuff coming out all the time.

natho6026961
WA, 115 posts
15 Mar 2021 1:20PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Livit said..
SAB is about to release 2 mid aspects which I reckon are more suited to the masses for wing foiling.

Hi mate, Do you have any details on these wings / link you can share?

I'm at the pointy end of the decision process...

hilly
WA, 7203 posts
15 Mar 2021 1:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
halfwaythere said..I've been wondering if the Armstrong 1250, would provide a better balance of surfy feel and glide without the threat of a major wound. They don't look as death bladey. The new Moses 940 looks like a Lift foil though so maybe I'll try that out too. Damn sport is addictive and expensive with cool new stuff coming out all the time.

Pretty amazed at how good the 1250 is. I have sold my 1550, 1850 and 2400 wings. The 1250 ticks all the boxes and I weigh 105kg. Just bought a 1050 and that is a great step down for more wind and bigger swell.

kobo
NSW, 1069 posts
15 Mar 2021 5:25PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
hilly said..

halfwaythere said..I've been wondering if the Armstrong 1250, would provide a better balance of surfy feel and glide without the threat of a major wound. They don't look as death bladey. The new Moses 940 looks like a Lift foil though so maybe I'll try that out too. Damn sport is addictive and expensive with cool new stuff coming out all the time.

Pretty amazed at how good the 1250 is. I have sold my 1550, 1850 and 2400 wings. The 1250 ticks all the boxes and I weigh 105kg. Just bought a 1050 and that is a great step down for more wind and bigger swell.

Now get the saw out Hilly and chop shop that shiny 1250 to make it faster and looser and reduce ventilation ! ??

hilly
WA, 7203 posts
15 Mar 2021 2:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kobo said..Now get the saw out Hilly and chop shop that shiny 1250 to make it faster and looser and reduce ventilation ! ??

Not so shiny any more, clunked a few reefs

emmafoils
307 posts
15 Mar 2021 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
foilthegreats said..

Depends on what you mean by "making the foil work" and your power source to lift the foil. I get that everyone is super excited about a new foil and direction for Armstrong but facts are stubborn things.

Despite people's individual reports, the fact remains that higher AR (for a given SA) means higher stall speed. May not matter if you have a wave pushing you but for winging, going up on AR requires more wind/wing (for a given SA) to achieve lift off.

For those who like to repeat the canard that SA does not matter for high aspect foils, sorry but the laws of physics have not been canceled.

Clamsmasha
WA, 311 posts
15 Mar 2021 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
emmafoils said..
foilthegreats said..

Depends on what you mean by "making the foil work" and your power source to lift the foil. I get that everyone is super excited about a new foil and direction for Armstrong but facts are stubborn things.

Despite people's individual reports, the fact remains that higher AR (for a given SA) means higher stall speed. May not matter if you have a wave pushing you but for winging, going up on AR requires more wind/wing (for a given SA) to achieve lift off.

For those who like to repeat the canard that SA does not matter for high aspect foils, sorry but the laws of physics have not been canceled.

Thing is though, HA wings like this tend to be thin and if it happens to have a lower frontal area and less form drag as a result (compared to an LA wing) you will achieve a higher speed from the pull of the wing before it even lifts off. Slight improvement in apparent wind presented to the wing and you're off to a good start.

Subscribe

Forums > Wing Foiling General

"Armstrong HA 1125" started by foilthegreats