Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

I never knew goats had such amazing balance skills

Created by Harrow > 9 months ago, 1 Apr 2014
Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
1 Apr 2014 11:57PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
1 Apr 2014 9:45PM
Thumbs Up

and to find this, you were searching for.....?

(if it was animals on a cliff / pushing back etc, you want sheeplove.co.nz)

VB MAN
1156 posts
1 Apr 2014 10:22PM
Thumbs Up

WTF has this got to do with anything Harrow ?

Wow, Facebreeze has really taken a tumble

Battle
536 posts
1 Apr 2014 11:00PM
Thumbs Up

^ Isn't it just shooting the breeze about how goats have great balance? What's the problem?

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
1 Apr 2014 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

The kid on the cliff would be an easy shot, not sure about climbing all the way down to get it though?

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
1 Apr 2014 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

yep, nothing has to do with anything here. open any thread at your own risk, but if you don't you could miss out on an amusing, witty or informative thread.
Personally I think goats are amazing, not only can they climb trees and negotiate vertical cliffs, they're also intelligent.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/7000/20140326/animal-intelligence-tested-cognitive-power-goats-smart.htm

Don't confuse them with sheep, they're a different animal altogether.

Seacht
WA, 376 posts
2 Apr 2014 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

Goats are great animals
So great we should have a goat simulator... (this does look fun in fairness....)

smicko
WA, 2502 posts
2 Apr 2014 12:57AM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said..

yep, nothing has to do with anything here. open any thread at your own risk, but if you don't you could miss out on an amusing, witty or informative thread.
Personally I think goats are amazing, not only can they climb trees and negotiate vertical cliffs, they're also intelligent.

http://www.isciencetimes.com/articles/7000/20140326/animal-intelligence-tested-cognitive-power-goats-smart.htm

Nothing to do with you decrepit but I really wish websites like your link above would just **** right off with their pop ups asking you to follow, like, felch etc
I was about 5 seconds into what appeared to be a very interesting article when the first one hit, shut that down to read on and there's another within 3 seconds.
If it hadn't have been for the second I would've read their article and added the site to my faves. Now they can suck my left nut and I end up with less useless trivia to use at quiz nights.
Lose, lose.
I hope they're happy.

Edit # I love my avatar of my young fella with the mantis crawling up the side of his scone, his expression is just so apt for all of my grumpy ol' man posts

Dezman
NSW, 818 posts
2 Apr 2014 5:33AM
Thumbs Up

decrepit said..

Baaaa to right goats are nothing like those lactating wool jumpers, we can balance the impossible against a probilble!!!
And we don't push back on the edge of the cliff for no farmer...

Mr float
NSW, 3452 posts
2 Apr 2014 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

I didn't know they could climb ladders .thatll be handy one to know if it comes up in million dollar minute

choco
SA, 3995 posts
2 Apr 2014 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
2 Apr 2014 12:53PM
Thumbs Up

More crazy goats. These guys appear to be risking death as they walk across the face of a large dam to lick the salt, but I guess they must be comfortable with it.

Yes, those little dots all over the dam wall are goats.

www.theguardian.com/environment/2010/nov/03/goats-italy-dam-precipitous-heights

da vecta
QLD, 2512 posts
2 Apr 2014 1:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
VB MAN said..

WTF has this got to do with anything Harrow ?

Wow, Facebreeze has really taken a tumble

Hey, I love my balancing goats.

Chris_M
2128 posts
2 Apr 2014 3:38PM
Thumbs Up

Well while we are on the topic of goats......... and Oprah.....

Chris_M
2128 posts
2 Apr 2014 3:40PM
Thumbs Up

Or........

Big goat fan over here...... biiiiig goat fan

decrepit
WA, 11828 posts
2 Apr 2014 8:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
smicko said..

>>>>>>>

Nothing to do with you decrepit but I really wish websites like your link above would just **** right off with their pop ups asking you to follow, like, felch etc
I was about 5 seconds into what appeared to be a very interesting article when the first one hit, shut that down to read on and there's another within 3 seconds.
If it hadn't have been for the second I would've read their article and added the site to my faves. Now they can suck my left nut and I end up with less useless trivia to use at quiz nights.
Lose, lose.
I hope they're happy.

Edit # I love my avatar of my young fella with the mantis crawling up the side of his scone, his expression is just so apt for all of my grumpy ol' man posts

Sorry, if I'd seen those popups I wouldn't have posted that link. I have popups and adds banned, helps keep the blood pressure down!

smicko
WA, 2502 posts
2 Apr 2014 9:56PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

smicko said..

>>>>>>>

Lose, lose.
I hope they're happy.

Sorry, if I'd seen those popups I wouldn't have posted that link. I have popups and adds banned, helps keep the blood pressure down!

Can't workout how to do it on my ipad, it's second hand and I don't have the password to the apple id or some thingamajig for the app store. Technospaz

Battle
536 posts
3 Apr 2014 4:29AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris_M said..
Big goat fan over here...... biiiiig goat fan

In case you didn't know.....

mick14
SA, 343 posts
3 Apr 2014 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
decrepit said..

I was sure you were going to say "tasty".

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
3 Apr 2014 7:04PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NoBS said..
Here it seems the Billy has narcolepsy at 1 min 11sec........ Say hello to sleepy town...
?rel=0

So what's the red thumbs for? Cos meat comes from Coles, and they get it from ummm I dunno.. someplace?
And vegies and stuff come from a farm - and no animals try to eat them and are despatched with. Nooooooo
Or maybe cos goats are not an introduced feral that destroy stuff?

Best video ever to show it felt no pain. Instant.

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
3 Apr 2014 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

I will not be surprised if goats one day grow wings and starts flying.

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
3 Apr 2014 9:51PM
Thumbs Up

Mark _australia said..

to be fair I am not convinced that is true -if shot to the torso cause instant death or rather brain still feel and think a couple minutes longer.
To be absolutely instant you should rather point in the head/ brain - unless it is obviously too difficult for that hunter.
Average mammal brain could "live" comfortably whole 2-3 minutes after closing blood supply. Some fishes head could "live" even hours or days without the body due to smart oxygen less metabolism (crucian carp).
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crucian_carp

monaro
QLD, 105 posts
3 Apr 2014 10:07PM
Thumbs Up

So thats why Capricorns reckon their well balanced people
And if pigs can fly I cant see any reason why goats cant.

NotWal
QLD, 7426 posts
4 Apr 2014 3:19PM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien said..

Average mammal brain could "live" comfortably whole 2-3 minutes after closing blood supply. Some fishes head could "live" even hours or days without the body due to smart oxygen less metabolism (crucian carp).

That's far and away the most amazing bit of information I've heard for quite some time.

I thought only bacteria could survive on fermentation but here we have a vertebrate. I wonder if critters like frogs that go into hibernation do something like that?

fingerbone
NSW, 921 posts
4 Apr 2014 4:48PM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
4 Apr 2014 4:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
NotWal said..

I thought only bacteria could survive on fermentation but here we have a vertebrate. I wonder if critters like frogs that go into hibernation do something like that?

The funny but still true is that most modern training for Himalayan climbers preparation may include now
consuming high doses of alcohol to prepare your brain to run on alcohol instead of glucose and oxygen
at the highs.

I just have sympathy for poor Sherpa needing now carry loads of beer bottles on the peak to supply for climbers., then possibly carry back this empty bottle back ( as you carry about environment and do not dispose glass at the Mt Everest peak)

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
4 Apr 2014 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

Macroscien said..

Mark _australia said..

to be fair I am not convinced that is true -if shot to the torso cause instant death or rather brain still feel and think a couple minutes longer.
To be absolutely instant you should rather point in the head/ brain - unless it is obviously too difficult for that hunter.

I think you are both right and wrong Macro. There is plenty of evidence to show the brain can 'live' for 2-3 minutes after blood circulation stops, I won't argue that point, but in such a traumatic event such as the heart or aorta being shredded by a high calibre round the blood flow and associated blood pressure to the brain would stop instantly. The brain needs the blood pressure to maintain a level of consciousness and with the heart shredded the goat is effectively and technically dead via cardiac arrest within milliseconds of the round entering the chest. But the brain might still maintain a level of consciousness after the round has penetrated. I couldn't find any decent website to reference against but the consensus that I found is that an animal/person might maintain some level of awareness for merely a few seconds in such an event. It's definitely not lying on the ground looking at a gaping chest wound for the 2-3 minutes.

So technically dead within milliseconds via cardiac arrest but it might have a second or two to realise something isn't right before lapsing into unconsciousness and collapsing.

Arguably a round or bolt-gun to the head might not bring immediate death either, the goat is just unconscious immediately and has no opportunity to be aware of something bad happening. Meanwhile it could still be breathing and have a pumping heart while the abattoir worker sits it's throat and waits for it to bleed out.

Macroscien
QLD, 6791 posts
4 Apr 2014 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Chris6791 said..
But the brain might still maintain a level of consciousness after the round has penetrated. I couldn't find any decent website to reference against but the consensus that I found is that an animal/person might maintain some level of awareness for a few seconds in such an event.

We all have plenty of video evidence when actor shot in the chest have a plenty of time to tell whole life history to the witness, bid farewell family, call ambulance and still be present in next serial movie sequence.
Lets perform such taught experiment:
If you give a choice to sentenced to death prisoner ( without chance for appeal or miracle) how he preferably choose to be shot by death squad:
a) to the leg - and wait till bleed off
b) into stomach ?
c) in the heart
d) in the head ?

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
4 Apr 2014 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Now you're attaching emotion to a physiological response. I'd rather someone sneak up and shoot me in the back of the head while I eat my last meal.

SandS
VIC, 5904 posts
4 Apr 2014 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

" Goats head soup ". Was really popular in the 70,s

oliver
3952 posts
4 Apr 2014 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Don't know why, but these goats make me think of all my mates in Heavy Weather.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"I never knew goats had such amazing balance skills" started by Harrow