Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

Green Point Closing

Created by baywavebill > 9 months ago, 4 Jul 2014
baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
4 Jul 2014 5:37PM
Thumbs Up

Signs were up at GP today from council warning that the GP carpark will be closed from July to October for a remake.
Time to take over Kitebeach.
Seriously though, 4 months. Probably plan to build a 6 ft bluestone wall with barb wire on top across the w.s pathway.

WindmanV
VIC, 737 posts
5 Jul 2014 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

The worse news is that the car park fees have risen: now its $5.00 per hour, $15.50 all day.

Oh well, I suppose someone has to pay for the re-build, so it might as well be us.

Wouldn't it be nice if the unofficial track to the beach was done up and became official?

Bonominator
VIC, 5477 posts
5 Jul 2014 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

$15.50 to use the beach and stay fit. Should be illegal.

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
6 Jul 2014 10:55AM
Thumbs Up

mathew said...
This is the the proposal - it does look like there will be less parking...

http://www.bayside.vic.gov.au/documents/Item_10.5_Draft_Green_Point_Precinct_Heritage_Assessment_and_Landscape_Guidelines.pdf

What is rather annoying is that it is free-parking all day at kite-beach, but now $15 for 3 hours at Green Point.

.......I think they introduced metered parking at Kite Beach last Christmas.
Nothing in the plans will really effect us. Big shady tree will be planted and a pathway through our rigging area is about all. The amount of available parking isn't usually a problem on the windy days.

cameronil
VIC, 97 posts
6 Jul 2014 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

I don't care about a little less parking as I have never missed a parking spot there.

However, parking prices bayside seem more than unreasonable. Compare to the CBD where you can get $9 flat rate on the weekend all day parking at Wilson in secure undercover setting. Even comparing hourly rates it should be way less than the CBD (as it is the CBD) and for parking in the open in sometimes not even marked parking bays or along the side of the road -literally a spot next to the curb (eg what they have done at Hampton). Green Point has an area of asphalt for which you can leave your car on and pay top dollar by most Australian standards. How does the local council get away with this? Are they trying to stop anyone other than locals (with permit) being able to use the bay through an inappropriate pricing model?

mathew
QLD, 2019 posts
7 Jul 2014 12:02AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
baywavebill said...

Signs were up at GP today from council warning that the GP carpark will be closed from July to October for a remake.
Time to take over Kitebeach.

Is it closed already ? ... wouldn't mind a mid-winter sail there in these northerly's.

Also, is kite beach deep enough? I haven't ever sailed there, as I thought it was too shallow.

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
7 Jul 2014 4:18PM
Thumbs Up

Not sure if it's closed yet. It was still open 2 days ago.
I've sailed Kite Beach using a 40cm fin. I may have been just lucky but I didn't hit anything.

WindmanV
VIC, 737 posts
16 Jul 2014 7:51PM
Thumbs Up

Chaps,

The reconstruction work has started. A workman is on permanent duty to stop people going into the car park. A perimeter fence has been erected and it fully encloses the car park. Now, when you are in the car park, the fence stops access to the rigging area near the fisherman’s track onto the beach as well as access to the seawall, if you rigged on the cliff top.

I had a good look at the parking signs on Beach Road and found that those close to the car park entrance (on the beach side of the road) are signed as No Standing. You may be able to park on the house side of the road and get your gear across the road for rigging (like Dendy Street). You can still use the fisherman’s track to get gear onto the sand.

Suggestions for alternative spots?

purplehaze
VIC, 165 posts
16 Jul 2014 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

Dendy or kite beach are ok on a northerly.

WindmanV
VIC, 737 posts
19 Jul 2014 6:38PM
Thumbs Up

Chaps,

Went past GP today and noted that both sides of the entrance road are blocked off. Was hoping that the road was going to be open at the weekend, but foiled again.

Speaking of parking fees, Port Phillip Council (Elwood and St. Kilda) have raised their fees to $4.80 per hour or $11.00 per day. This compares to the $5.00 per hour and $15.50 per day at GP.

ginger pom
VIC, 1745 posts
20 Jul 2014 11:33AM
Thumbs Up

It's a shame that all the schools, hospitals and public housing are in such good condition that we need to do work like this to keep people employed...

windjunky
VIC, 398 posts
26 Jul 2014 3:59PM
Thumbs Up

They were ripping up the bitumen yesterday, so theres no going back.
Anyone worked out where else to sail in a northerly in Bayside?
How well would Half Moon Bay work...?

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
26 Jul 2014 5:23PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windjunky said..

Isn't there a ship in the way?

windjunky
VIC, 398 posts
26 Jul 2014 5:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
baywavebill said..

windjunky said..

Thought you could go the south side of the car park...
www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.9699092,145.0102486,153m/data=!3m1!1e3

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
26 Jul 2014 6:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
windjunky said..

baywavebill said..

windjunky said..

Thought you could go the south side of the car park...
www.google.com.au/maps/@-37.9699092,145.0102486,153m/data=!3m1!1e3

Arrrrrr!!!! Now I follow. I will follow you anywhere you media star.

TheBigBlue
VIC, 7 posts
26 Jul 2014 8:07PM
Thumbs Up

Half Moon Bay or Point Ormond would be workable, or better down in the bay, say Rosebud

ginger pom
VIC, 1745 posts
27 Jul 2014 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

does north ricketts work in a northerly?

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
27 Jul 2014 7:50PM
Thumbs Up

I have sailed both Half Moon and North Ricketts in a Northerly. They are sailable but need a touch of west to do so, straight Northerly forget it. For some reason the wind does need seem to push in down there as well as north of green point. We have all seen it, the wind cranking 500 meters north of the car park and much less to the south. Can't explain it but something goes on.
Kite Beach would be good but the rocks look dodgy. Has anybody sailed there???

Closed
VIC, 144 posts
27 Jul 2014 9:02PM
Thumbs Up

I have seen a few kites go off point cook coastal park, wind is pretty clean just not sure about rocks and depth.

windjunky
VIC, 398 posts
29 Jul 2014 10:40PM
Thumbs Up

Almost shed a tear cycling past Green Point this morning to find a perfect howling 25+knot northerly whipping up waves right on the point and not a piece of monofilm in sight...

(Then shed more tears riding into a howling 25+knot northerly all the way to Docklands for work.)

WindmanV
VIC, 737 posts
30 Jul 2014 8:27AM
Thumbs Up

Andrew,

You can't park on the east side of the road until 9.00 am on a weekday (10.00 am on a w/e), so perhaps that was why no one was out. I can assure you that Fletch was there around 9-ish (he looked to be using a 5.1) and a whole crew sailed in 4.2 conditions around 10-ish, but gee, the water was cold.

windjunky
VIC, 398 posts
30 Jul 2014 1:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
WindmanV said..
Andrew,

You can't park on the east side of the road until 9.00 am on a weekday (10.00 am on a w/e), so perhaps that was why no one was out. I can assure you that Fletch was there around 9-ish (he looked to be using a 5.1) and a whole crew sailed in 4.2 conditions around 10-ish, but gee, the water was cold.

Still a cupla weeks till its coldest... but only by a small amount
www.baywx.com.au/baytempsav.html

Do you mean west (bay) side of the road???

mr love
VIC, 2294 posts
30 Jul 2014 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

Had a geek when I drove past this morning. Parking in the station carpark and carting your gear across the road looks doable???

WindmanV
VIC, 737 posts
31 Jul 2014 8:51AM
Thumbs Up

Andrew, The east side of the road is where all the houses are. Clearway until 9.00am on weekdays, 10.00am weekends. West (Bay) side of the road near GP is No Standing at all times.

Mr. Love, parking in the station car park at the weekend may be OK but if you park outside Club Marine it seems to work. Just depends on how far you want to walk.

cameronil
VIC, 97 posts
8 Aug 2014 7:02AM
Thumbs Up

Just wondering where people have been sailing? Since the closure, I have had a few sails in N'ly at GP by parking across the road but it is a bit of a pain especially if you want to change gear. You end up just sailing overpowered cause you cant be stuffed getting back to the car. Apart from the one time I have been on my lonesome and in 25 knots. Are people sailing at either Kite beach or Dendy in N'ly? Are there any major obstacles of note for fin strikes other than the rocks/reef at the ends of Kite beach?

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
8 Aug 2014 6:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cameronil said..
Just wondering where people have been sailing? Since the closure, I have had a few sails in N'ly at GP by parking across the road but it is a bit of a pain especially if you want to change gear. You end up just sailing overpowered cause you cant be stuffed getting back to the car. Apart from the one time I have been on my lonesome and in 25 knots. Are people sailing at either Kite beach or Dendy in N'ly? Are there any major obstacles of note for fin strikes other than the rocks/reef at the ends of Kite beach?

I sailed Kite Beach (northern end) in a northerly with a 38cm fin with no mishaps.

mathew
QLD, 2019 posts
8 Aug 2014 7:11PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
baywavebill said..
I sailed Kite Beach (northern end) in a northerly with a 38cm fin with no mishaps.

When we head upwind past the car-park at GP, it is often a few knots winder. Given that the depth sounds ok, it sounds like kite-beach will become windsurf-beach...!

Retzy
VIC, 130 posts
8 Aug 2014 7:31PM
Thumbs Up

Fight beach

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
9 Aug 2014 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Yep! Sailed kite beach again today for 2 hrs with 38cm fin and no probs at all, except for dodging a few kites. Good parking, nice grassy rigging with good views. Was on the plane the whole time (but I am a light weight). Some of the kiters even spoke to me.

WindmanV
VIC, 737 posts
9 Aug 2014 6:09PM
Thumbs Up

I saw you Bill and good luck to you. Was that a 6.2m sail you were using?

You should 've stayed out and you could've helped the kitesurfer who had a partial valve failure and had to do a self rescue from a L-O-N-G way out. Another KS dragged him downwind to the north end of GP, where his girlfriend and I assisted. No lifesavers on duty, but at least he was being watched by an experienced windsurfer, to make sure it would not end in tears.

baywavebill
VIC, 266 posts
9 Aug 2014 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

I think I saw him as I was driving off. He was off the beach boxes at that stage. I wondered what went wrong but looked like he had company.
I was on a 6.5. First sail in 5 weeks
Did you park in the side street leading up to station car park?

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Green Point Closing" started by baywavebill