31 Aug 2014 5:51PM
Thumbs Up

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
31 Aug 2014 5:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
matcoburn said..

Flinders Backbeach Saturday (30/9/14) was a very low tide. Three fishermen wade and walk out to a rock ledge 200 metres from the beach. As the tide raced in they occupied the highest ground. 3 Surfers paddled out on longboards to bring them back to shore but they didnt want to straddle a surfboard. An hour later the rock becomes inundated with swell. The surfers didnt give up to convince them to leave. From the cliff top Ambos arrived and said they were not sure when the chopper would arrive. A police boat was also enroute from westernport bay. I said to the ambo i would go out and pick them up, but alas the chopper arrived. The surfer guy and i landed on the rock and collected all of their gear. I cuaght up with them and gave them back their gear. Nobody was hurt but some av gas burn't!

Jman
VIC, 873 posts
31 Aug 2014 6:16PM
Thumbs Up

Nice Kayak Matt!
Who would of thought that the tide would come in!

Yuppy
VIC, 663 posts
1 Sep 2014 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

Idiots. I never understood fishing.

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
1 Sep 2014 9:45AM
Thumbs Up

So did they get a lecture, or would that have been a waste of resources too?

Sailhack
VIC, 5000 posts
1 Sep 2014 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

As a keen fisho, I can sympathise with the guys needing rescuing - but as fishos, they did the unthinkable and are very fortunate that you Matt & the surfers were there and that it wasn't in a more remote spot.

Beach/Rock Fishos rules;

- ALWAYS know your tides & swell movements - we have apps & websites now that can tell us everything we need to know.

- If you're not familiar with the area - GET FAMILIAR by asking a local.

- NEVER trust the ocean, nor turn your back on a wave (rock fishos no. 1 rule)

- ALWAYS leave yourself enough time (& dry land) for an escape route.

Those that think that it's wasted resources (I used to)...it's not. These rescuers train for these type of incidents and as a rescuer - I know that when a call-out happens, it's a great feeling to be able to put that training into a real rescue, especially the ones that end up with all persons involved being rescued and safe.

The other comment I hear a lot is "what a waste of money to save an idiot (or idiots) that get into these situations". These sorts of situations will always happen, and we can't 'idiot-proof' our coastline or terrain, and don't want to as it would mean locking up the coastline (this does happen already in too much of Vic's coastline already) so we have rescuers trained to handle most situations.

Rescue organisational funding is based on the amount of rescues they attend over certain periods, amongst other operational requirements. If such rescues don't occur, funding gets reduced and the effectiveness of the organisation will be diminished. I've seen this and it's very disheartening for the volunteers of the organisation, knowing that they train hard and are prepared for these events, only to find out that 'due to the lack of call-outs, your funding (or equipment allocation, vehicle status etc.) will be reduced'.

Matt, it looks like the system worked as it should (rescue-wise), and you should be stoked to be a part of it, good stuff.

MikeyS
VIC, 1506 posts
1 Sep 2014 2:20PM
Thumbs Up

Sailhack, I don't disagree with anything you say, especially that the system worked as it should, and full credit and respect to the rescue services. But it would be disappointing if the fishos could have avoided the deployment of the resources that attended if they had just accepted rescue from the surfers.

I know that any rescue is good practice, but I hope you and other rescuers aren't disheartened by having to attend situations that are easily avoidable (i.e. longboard rescue, in this case).

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
1 Sep 2014 6:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
MikeyS said..

I know that any rescue is good practice, but I hope you and other rescuers aren't disheartened by having to attend situations that are easily avoidable (i.e. longboard rescue, in this case).

None of the guys could swim! ...they didnt want to get onto the malibus b/c of their fear of the water! The communications were a bit lost since they could not speak english....or read it. Crikey!

Select to expand quote
Sailhack said..
As a keen fisho, I can sympathise with the guys needing rescuing - but as fishos, they did the unthinkable and are very fortunate that you Matt & the surfers were there and that it wasn't in a more remote spot.

Beach/Rock Fishos rules;

- ALWAYS know your tides & swell movements - we have apps & websites now that can tell us everything we need to know.

- If you're not familiar with the area - GET FAMILIAR by asking a local.

- NEVER trust the ocean, nor turn your back on a wave (rock fishos no. 1 rule)

- ALWAYS leave yourself enough time (& dry land) for an escape route.

Those that think that it's wasted resources (I used to)...it's not. These rescuers train for these type of incidents and as a rescuer - I know that when a call-out happens, it's a great feeling to be able to put that training into a real rescue, especially the ones that end up with all persons involved being rescued and safe.

The other comment I hear a lot is "what a waste of money to save an idiot (or idiots) that get into these situations". These sorts of situations will always happen, and we can't 'idiot-proof' our coastline or terrain, and don't want to as it would mean locking up the coastline (this does happen already in too much of Vic's coastline already) so we have rescuers trained to handle most situations.

Rescue organisational funding is based on the amount of rescues they attend over certain periods, amongst other operational requirements. If such rescues don't occur, funding gets reduced and the effectiveness of the organisation will be diminished. I've seen this and it's very disheartening for the volunteers of the organisation, knowing that they train hard and are prepared for these events, only to find out that 'due to the lack of call-outs, your funding (or equipment allocation, vehicle status etc.) will be reduced'.

Matt, it looks like the system worked as it should (rescue-wise), and you should be stoked to be a part of it, good stuff.

thanks sailhack!

Retzy
VIC, 130 posts
1 Sep 2014 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

I'm sure if any one of us got into strife and were rescued, there would be people who could tell one after the fact how avoidable it was or how careless one had been, particularly on the internet.

Nice footage BTW, and for the record, if I ever break a mast I will be happy to get a ride home on the Kayak....!

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
1 Sep 2014 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

taah Retzy...

i was thinking about picking up surfers at big left and taking them back out to the head of the break....say 10 bucks for 2 hrs.....then get another half dozen surfers....could be a real earner!!

waveboy1
VIC, 236 posts
2 Sep 2014 1:48PM
Thumbs Up

Cool where was that?sure wasn't training?

matcoburn
VIC, 203 posts
2 Sep 2014 7:27PM
Thumbs Up

waveboy1 said..
Cool where was that?sure wasn't training?

www.smh.com.au/national/victoria/fishermen-winched-off-rocks-to-safety-20140830-10ag7c.html

Subscribe

Forums > Windsurfing Victoria

"Helicopter Rescue Saturday arfo" started by matcoburn