Forums > Kitesurfing General

why foil boards are just a fad

Created by myusernam > 9 months ago, 16 Sep 2014
myusernam
QLD, 6085 posts
17 Sep 2014 7:59PM
Thumbs Up

Not saying they aren't good for racing. Just trying to offer some balance to the pimp fest.

Macster
VIC, 276 posts
17 Sep 2014 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..
Not saying they aren't good for racing. Just trying to offer some balance to the pimp fest.

I just got back form a Hawaii (Oahu) and San Francisco trip. The majority of kiters were riding foil boards in these places. Oahu especially, where the winds are typically 8-15 knots.

I also noticed that most kiters in Oahu were 40 years + and keen to get out there in light wind and mow the grass.

There was no comparison between a foil board and even large surfboards in light wind. The guys on foil boards definitely had the most ride time.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
17 Sep 2014 9:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..
thought I would offer some balance here as to why I think foils are a fad.

There's no spray,

there's no slice,

there's no hit.

Foils are so goddamn pedestrian.

lol.

pattiecannon
QLD, 593 posts
18 Sep 2014 12:58AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
dave...... said..
The America's cup on those 14m foils looked a lot more thrilling than a great big displacement hull.
Yes foiling does have its limitations but I could imagine at 8-12 knots It would be a lot more thrilling going faster than the wind and staying upwind than mowing the lawn on a 155-165 X 46-48 massive Door.

SUK (stand up kiting on a2 line F1 Source) now that was a fad.

you obviously have a different TT to the one i have.
8-12=sublime

also isn't a fad something that actually caught on once?

Ozone Kites Aus
NSW, 884 posts
Site Sponsor
18 Sep 2014 8:38AM
Thumbs Up

Accusing retailers of raping your poor wallet is a bit silly when no retailers here sell them. This year will be different though, with a couple of foils coming out from the bigger brands.

Waterskiers did not invent foiling - www.hydrofoil.org/history.html however they were definitely pioneers of the concept.

Kiters are taking it another step FORWARD, and just like riding surfboards, or TT's, they are just another type of board/device to use for kite sailing.

Costs are high at the moment, but that will change rapidly once the kite brands start mass producing them. Tons of people kite in light winds (me included) and this is definitely a great light wind option as well as being a fast and exciting form of kite racing.

If you don't like it why even waste your time on here trying to justify your negativity, there must be tons of better things to do?

kiteboy dave
QLD, 6525 posts
18 Sep 2014 8:55AM
Thumbs Up

Kite foiling? not a fad.

This on the other hand...

scubaste
WA, 210 posts
18 Sep 2014 7:17AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TerryMcTool said...
Accusing retailers of raping your poor wallet is a bit silly when no retailers here sell them. This year will be different though, with a couple of foils coming out from the bigger brands.

Waterskiers did not invent foiling - www.hydrofoil.org/history.html however they were definitely pioneers of the concept.

Kiters are taking it another step FORWARD, and just like riding surfboards, or TT's, they are just another type of board/device to use for kite sailing.

Costs are high at the moment, but that will change rapidly once the kite brands start mass producing them. Tons of people kite in light winds (me included) and this is definitely a great light wind option as well as being a fast and exciting form of kite racing.

If you don't like it why even waste your time on here trying to justify your negativity, there must be tons of better things to do?

Probably bored waiting for the wind to get over 10knts.so he can get out on his tt, .
While the foilers are out cruising at 3 x the wind speed with no jaring and jolting of there older joints...The full magic carpet ride.....

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
18 Sep 2014 9:21AM
Thumbs Up

I've been reading this topic with interest as 'I am passionate' about it, like Benny says All posts here to have some weight should start with: "I've tried it for a couple of sessions and I think..." otherwise it's like writing an essay on a dish of curry without ever tasting it - it doesn't equate..

But hey .. please feel free to bag someone else's stoke. Eventually the egg is on your face ..

A fad? have you seen this?

You can't be serious

V

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
18 Sep 2014 9:34AM
Thumbs Up

There is for sure potential to produce a much less inexpensive foil , there is an overrepresentation in kite media of foiling in comparison to number of actual owners right now, i guess that is because it is something new. I did wonder if freestyle was going to develop (seen some of the airchair mobes?!!) but not so sure about the idea of that thing flying around in the air with rider..

good for those in light wind locations/countries and racers/learning to tow foil waves... is expensive tho, i guess that is why almost all non racing foilers are over 40

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
18 Sep 2014 10:01AM
Thumbs Up

But you can't do tricks on a foilboard Or can you?

Got Balls? try this...

or even this..

There is a video of someone doing a proper rail slide on a foilboard. I wish I'd kept the link,

Just putting it into perspective for those who say you can't do tricks on foilboards. Is it more dangerous, shiiite yes.. but then again it's not for sissies so next time you decide to comment on something you obviously don't know much about - make it a positive one

Peace up and good winds to all of those who love the water

V

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
18 Sep 2014 10:40AM
Thumbs Up

At the Thursday night racing at San Francis Yacht Club they have about 35 foilers atm.Cant think of anything better to do on a thursday night. In 2 years you will see the same in Australia, everything just takes a bit longer to develop here.If you want something that is high performance you can't go past a full carbon foil. Don't waste time guys give it a go, its so much fun especially when its 10knts and nobody else can ride

iandvnt
QLD, 581 posts
18 Sep 2014 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

most ripping airchair rider, there is for sure some sick potential

Phoney
NSW, 583 posts
18 Sep 2014 10:44AM
Thumbs Up

I've never tried it so admittedly im posting from a position of ignorance, but watching those video's doesn't do much for me. I just don't see the appeal. It looks just like kitesurfing, only you're up a foot or two above the water line and it's much, much harder to master. When it's blowing 10kts I find something else to do.
Maybe one day when I get bored of traditional kiting and I'm looking for the next thrill I'll consider it, but for now....pass.

Gazuki
WA, 1363 posts
18 Sep 2014 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Firstly im not into foils but surely even the haters have got to see that vid posed by iandvnt and admit that with progression if kiting could get half as good as that video it would have alot more love. Who know where it can progress to,. who knows, it might be a fad but all I know is the pieces of the puzzle are there and if someone puts them together,. wow! I cant wait for 10yr to go by though :)
Peace out all

myusernam
QLD, 6085 posts
18 Sep 2014 9:49PM
Thumbs Up

ok last post.
I'm not a hater. Over the course of this thread I've actually king of changed my perspective. Yes I think if you are over 40 and you want to mow the lawn in light winds they look ok. I was actually surprised with sir v's video (kite tricks), althought it was pretty calm and the guy could have done those on a car bonnet probably.. but the jaws action is not good. the jaws action is mirror calm, not much chop. would have been epic on a gun surfboard. If you were over the initial thrill of being on somethnig different, Ii.e. if laird was free surfing) what would he choose - foil or board? esp if he had to pay for the foil? dunno. The video looks good. what i am trying to get at is it's the best conditions imagineable for the foil, and why they made the video. If that's what you are chasing, I say it's not the answer.

Marvin's desciption of matchracing on a thurs night in sanfran doesn't sound too bad. good if u have the crew. sanfran is renowned for light winds though, so they have to take what they can get.

the point I was tryinng to make is the act of balancing sitting facing forward (as in the skyski) is a lot easier than standing up AND controlling the kite. It would be like a juggler balancing on a ball and juggling as well.. Ok if you want to just go straight, but throw in variables from hard stuff like tricks and a rapidly moving ocean surface and it would make it so much harder. You have to balance on two planes, side to side and back and forward (up and down) If you thought the sky ski vid looked ok (he was pretty unstylish and ordinary compared to some of the better guys) try finding some standup skyski action. there is zero. even behind a boat where you dont have to fly a kite and the speed is constant and the water is flat. All I am trying to say. If you are in love with the idea and think you should get in on the ground floor because u think one day that's all there will be (WRT freestyle etc, perhaps not because it's not so ground floor and it's a lot harder standing and dealing with the kite I would imagine.
I could do most of the skyski video posted. But wouldn't dream of hucking anything standing on one.
then again if you want to try something hard and don't want to go to the next level of a windsurfing or can't handle the cred, perhaps a kitefoil is the answer. Kind of like a singular massive rollerblade or it from southpark.

ok this last bit was a little hatey. few wines contributing to this post..

INTHELOOP
QLD, 1855 posts
18 Sep 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..
ok last post.
I'm not a hater. Over the course of this thread I've actually king of changed my perspective. Yes I think if you are over 40 and you want to mow the lawn in light winds they look ok. I was actually surprised with sir v's video (kite tricks), althought it was pretty calm and the guy could have done those on a car bonnet probably.. but the jaws action is not good. the jaws action is mirror calm, not much chop. would have been epic on a gun surfboard. If you were over the initial thrill of being on somethnig different, Ii.e. if laird was free surfing) what would he choose - foil or board? esp if he had to pay for the foil? dunno. The video looks good. what i am trying to get at is it's the best conditions imagineable for the foil, and why they made the video. If that's what you are chasing, I say it's not the answer.

Marvin's desciption of matchracing on a thurs night in sanfran doesn't sound too bad. good if u have the crew. sanfran is renowned for light winds though, so they have to take what they can get.

the point I was tryinng to make is the act of balancing sitting facing forward (as in the skyski) is a lot easier than standing up AND controlling the kite. It would be like a juggler balancing on a ball and juggling as well.. Ok if you want to just go straight, but throw in variables from hard stuff like tricks and a rapidly moving ocean surface and it would make it so much harder. You have to balance on two planes, side to side and back and forward (up and down) If you thought the sky ski vid looked ok (he was pretty unstylish and ordinary compared to some of the better guys) try finding some standup skyski action. there is zero. even behind a boat where you dont have to fly a kite and the speed is constant and the water is flat. All I am trying to say. If you are in love with the idea and think you should get in on the ground floor because u think one day that's all there will be (WRT freestyle etc, perhaps not because it's not so ground floor and it's a lot harder standing and dealing with the kite I would imagine.
I could do most of the skyski video posted. But wouldn't dream of hucking anything standing on one.
then again if you want to try something hard and don't want to go to the next level of a windsurfing or can't handle the cred, perhaps a kitefoil is the answer. Kind of like a singular massive rollerblade or it from southpark.

Mate i think you meant San Fran is one of the windiest places in the world ;)You can watch the conference live stream for them Gold Cup in Townsville next week, maybe that will change your perspective a bit and if you lucky you might see some live footage from Johnny Heinkenn or Maxime Norcher going 35knts on a Foil. Believe me its not easy going fast on a foil and foiling tacks and gybes aren't either. However, cruising is pretty easy and stoke g'teed.

THE DONG
VIC, 518 posts
19 Sep 2014 12:08AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..
I think the only place you will see an increase in people riding foils is in WA,
cause they are all so scared of sharks over there they dont like being near the water.

Untill the foil hits one... then your both ****ed

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
19 Sep 2014 12:27AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..
ok last post.

"go to the next level of a windsurfing"???? So first you don't want us to spend thousands on something that basically just mows the lawn and now you want us to get a windsurfer!!!
You need to make up your mind mate!!!

BennyB12
QLD, 918 posts
19 Sep 2014 10:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
iandvnt said...
most ripping airchair rider, there is for sure some sick potential

The beat downs to get to that level must be ****ing horrendous....

Sir V
QLD, 490 posts
19 Sep 2014 1:32PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
myusernam said..
ok last post.

Ok, this is getting funnier by the minute. First you say it may be good if you want to mow the lawn - so it's easy and unappealing , then you say it's too hard to do tricks because you have too many things to balance at same time - so it's too hard. Which one is it? I'm starting to loose your point...

Of course it's not for everyone, of course it won't fit all the existing styles, of course it is hard to master well - but, but, but .. isn't that exactly the point of doing something new and different?

Challenge yourself: go out on one for a season, learn to Gybe (I can't ) and to tack, take it out on the waves .. then and only then you can come to a forum and say it's boring. Until then your opinion is just that - your opinion - and from someone that apparently has never tried curry (see previous post eheh).

At least I am giving it a go... and loving every minute of it.

Come to Townsville next week. I believe it will be broadcasted live so jump in hand have a look - like Marvin says: you might just change your mind.

Peace up matey and by the way.. of course you are entitled your opinion

Juddy
WA, 1103 posts
19 Sep 2014 12:40PM
Thumbs Up

I've almost finished the pop corn but the peanuts aren't going down too well. It's almost beer o'clock on a Friday too....

Something isn't right with this thread - it's like Seabreeze used to be - competing & different opinions (some well formed, others not so), advising & informing each other about a kiting issue. There hasn't been one ugly/nasty comment about someone's mother/wife/girlfriend/partner, and the comments have been lighthearted when poking sticks at each other.

OMFG. Are we starting to grow up? Here? On Seabreeze? Finally....?

Credit to all....

dusta
WA, 2940 posts
19 Sep 2014 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Juddy said..
I've almost finished the pop corn but the peanuts aren't going down too well. It's almost beer o'clock on a Friday too....

Something isn't right with this thread - it's like Seabreeze used to be - competing & different opinions (some well formed, others not so), advising & informing each other about a kiting issue. There hasn't been one ugly/nasty comment about someone's mother/wife/girlfriend/partner, and the comments have been lighthearted when poking sticks at each other.

Credit to all....

well nobs hasn't posted yet do don't get too excited juddy

dave......
WA, 2119 posts
19 Sep 2014 3:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Juddy said..

Credit to all....

No nasty comments about your mother, your wife or your mistress Juddy, they were all fantastic.

Carantoc
WA, 6322 posts
19 Sep 2014 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote

Fad
<div class="mw-body-content">
<div>From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

<div class="mw-jump">

<div class="mw-content-ltr">A fad is any form of behavior that develops among a large population and is collectively followed enthusiastically for a period of time, generally as a result of the behavior being perceived as popular by one's peers or being deemed "cool" by social media.[1] A fad is said to "catch on" when the number of people adopting it begins to increase rapidly. The behavior will normally fade quickly once the perception of novelty is gone.[1]

Ha Ha

Kite-surfers arguing about whether a kite-foil is a fad.

And not one of them gets the irony in it !!

lotofwind
NSW, 6450 posts
19 Sep 2014 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^you guys know all about fads,lol, remember that one back in the 80's. Most of them have left that fad in the early 90's and helped to invent the new exciting one,,cheers for that.
Dont think there are any left from that old fad in our area now, as you know.

Foil boarding would be good for mowing the lawn after smoking a foil and feeling lazy. or the the old worn out blokes........Carantoc????lol

Plummet
4862 posts
19 Sep 2014 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sir V said..
But you can't do tricks on a foilboard Or can you?

Got Balls? try this...

or even this..

There is a video of someone doing a proper rail slide on a foilboard. I wish I'd kept the link,

Just putting it into perspective for those who say you can't do tricks on foilboards. Is it more dangerous, shiiite yes.. but then again it's not for sissies so next time you decide to comment on something you obviously don't know much about - make it a positive one

Peace up and good winds to all of those who love the water

V

DAMMIT. NOW I WANT A FOIL EVEN MORE.

WHY AM I YELLING? BECAUSE I CAN!!!!!

The missis is looking at me a bit weirdly tho!.

terminal
1421 posts
19 Sep 2014 7:30PM
Thumbs Up

Its early days for foils in kitesurfing.

Foils and kites are very compatible in terms of physics.

This fad is capable of changing a lot.

I'm not saying its got a big future - just a very exciting future.

Air
QLD, 55 posts
20 Sep 2014 11:38AM
Thumbs Up

Wait until some grom gets his or her hands on one from an early age. Give them a couple of years on it and only then will we know the potential of these foils.

sir ROWDY
WA, 5353 posts
21 Sep 2014 5:21AM
Thumbs Up

Foil boarding will always be around in the same numbers that free-riders and people riding race boards will be around... does that make it a fad? I dunno. I guess if the amount of people using them gets considerably less then I guess it does constitute that. SUPing on the other hand (IMO) is a massive fad and I assume it's only a short time now from diwindling away like windsurfing once did.

SupChick
WA, 9 posts
21 Sep 2014 7:28AM
Thumbs Up

Old boys on fat waves and chicks on flat water... Suping will never die

Subscribe

Forums > Kitesurfing General

"why foil boards are just a fad" started by myusernam