Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

What's gone wrong

Created by Adapt > 9 months ago, 19 Oct 2014
Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
19 Oct 2014 2:17PM
Thumbs Up

I'm hearing complaints about a variety of issues relating to the governance of SUP especially with this weekends "Australian Titles".

Is the reason for this the fact the sport of SUP in Australia is being dictated by a select few with potential vested interests or a sporting body that at its heart has roots tied to another sports growth?

I think it's great that the main governing body has helped demonstrate how events can be run but is it time to step out of their shadow and allow SUP to grow with the community deciding which direction SUP should take?

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
19 Oct 2014 3:06PM
Thumbs Up

Nothing your all just a pack of whingers

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Oct 2014 4:08PM
Thumbs Up

Stop being negative?

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
19 Oct 2014 3:14PM
Thumbs Up

Has the Aussies always been held on the GC? Why is it not moved around from state to state each year? There's dozens of offical sup clubs Now across Australia in all states.

My opinion surfing australia is fine as a governing body it's a well established organisation that runs fantastic events Around Australia and there isn't anyone else who could do it is there??
Though each year it should be handed to a club or clubs at their local location to host and organise with the backing of surfing Australia.
We need an established body like SA as they have the pulling power to get sponsors which is needed to cover costs of these events. Though having a SUP club head up the organising of the event they really have the best interest in the sport.
By all accounts this years aussies was overall a great event.

In my opinion if holding a DW specific race you need to have a two day window over the weekend and only a couple days before when you can narrow down the better day and time for the race should you decide. And if it's 20km but with a 5k upwind leg just make the race 15km. I do short 5-6km down wind paddles all the time if the wind isn't right for my longer ones. Still so much more fun that any upwind leg.

Surfing - always seems to be in ****ty small conditions why are these events held at the wrong time of the year?

BOP I've said this a few times could be huge in aus if the clubies were to run it in with there events Around Australia. Clubies are mad that they haven't made it a new disipline for them yet.

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
19 Oct 2014 3:29PM
Thumbs Up

I'm all supporting the "stop whinging" campaign, but to stop it, people should suggest how to fix it, then these should be put forward to the appropriate group of ppl and then we should move on

I'm seeing to many good posts destroyed by negativity

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Oct 2014 3:53PM
Thumbs Up

I thinks its time to except dw racing is just a dream.

And a lot of racing types don, t care what they race in

They would be happy to race in muddy bull shark infested logan river if someone put the event on with enough money.

If you like dw ing just dw and leave the racing to the racing types
Then everyones happy and its easier and no one complains
Amen

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
19 Oct 2014 5:07PM
Thumbs Up

This Lacey bloke seems to know what he's talking about. He's the Lao Tzu of the SUP world.

Racing = Macho Competitive He-Men
Downwind = Zen Buddhists on paddle boards

And never the twain shall meet.

Tryfan
QLD, 256 posts
19 Oct 2014 5:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said...

They would be happy to race in muddy bull shark infested logan river if someone put the event on with enough money.

Amen

Mate, if you can get yourself over to WA at end of Nov/beginning of December there are 3 or 4 DW races within a couple of weeks ( King of the Cut, Doctor, Fig2Fig, Mandurah Duel). Could almost guarantee at least 2 of em to be epic DW races...

Did u end up doing the Social Race today?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
19 Oct 2014 6:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tryfan said..

laceys lane said...

Amen

Mate, if you can get yourself over to WA at end of Nov/beginning of December there are 3 or 4 DW races within a couple of weeks ( King of the Cut, Doctor, Fig2Fig, Mandurah Duel). Could almost guarantee at least 2 of em to be epic DW races...

Did u end up doing the Social Race today?

no, stupid paid on friday believing it was going to be like the qld titles. their pdf said start 5 t 8 km out from rsl. found out late yesterday the race was to wendts and back after the marathon.
disgusted and feeling rippied off and used as a quick money grab, i've done 2 very nice dw ers instead.

yeah mate the king of the cut does interest me for sure

beerssup
NSW, 513 posts
19 Oct 2014 9:41PM
Thumbs Up

What is wrong with sup, it is the freak show- Frankenstein of surf sports part shortboard,longboard, clubbie, kayak and surfski it really needs to be run by its own frothers In time I think it will. but at the moment we tag along with anyone who takes us so have patience fellow freaks like any good parasite will shall drain that which excepts US and thrive from its downfall haaaaaaaaaaaa[;)

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
19 Oct 2014 9:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
AndyR said..
Has the Aussies always been held on the GC? Why is it not moved around from state to state each year? There's dozens of offical sup clubs Now across Australia in all states.

My opinion surfing australia is fine as a governing body it's a well established organisation that runs fantastic events Around Australia and there isn't anyone else who could do it is there??
Though each year it should be handed to a club or clubs at their local location to host and organise with the backing of surfing Australia.
We need an established body like SA as they have the pulling power to get sponsors which is needed to cover costs of these events. Though having a SUP club head up the organising of the event they really have the best interest in the sport.
By all accounts this years aussies was overall a great event.

In my opinion if holding a DW specific race you need to have a two day window over the weekend and only a couple days before when you can narrow down the better day and time for the race should you decide. And if it's 20km but with a 5k upwind leg just make the race 15km. I do short 5-6km down wind paddles all the time if the wind isn't right for my longer ones. Still so much more fun that any upwind leg.

Surfing - always seems to be in ****ty small conditions why are these events held at the wrong time of the year?

BOP I've said this a few times could be huge in aus if the clubies were to run it in with there events Around Australia. Clubies are mad that they haven't made it a new disipline for them yet.

Can I respectfully suggest that the absolute last thing sup needs at this point is to be associated with the clubbies. They do a great job patrolling beaches, keeping tourists out of rips and kids entertained chasing bit of hose on the beach and the like, to be sure, but be careful what you wish for, I reckon. The combination of numbers of people to get into it and potential for ownership/control to develop is just the start of it. Down this way there is already a tight mob of suppers, and tourists are generally pretty well received, but I have noticed a number of beginners etc starting to get out at the name breaks, and I just dunno why we need to "grow" it. I am happy to stand accused of vested interest here, but I can only see growth benefitting a few businesses financially and having major overcrowding implications for many places which will be to the detriment of going for a paddle.

surfershaneA
863 posts
19 Oct 2014 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beerssup said..
What is wrong with sup, it is the freak show- Frankenstein of surf sports part shortboard,longboard, clubbie, kayak and surfski it really needs to be run by its own frothers In time I think it will. but at the moment we tag along with anyone who takes us so have patience fellow freaks like any good parasite will shall drain that which excepts US and thrive from its downfall haaaaaaaaaaaa[;)

Yes Mary Shelley really knew her stuff. The first few pages of that novel still blow me away. Talking about ladies who know their poo, why don't we get Peter Drouyn to invent a decent SUP surf comp concept. That would rip. Suit me a lot better than the ongoing Surfing Australia nepotistic reign of terror over everything that floats. Blah blah.......,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

beerssup
NSW, 513 posts
19 Oct 2014 10:24PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
surfershaneA said...
beerssup said..

Yes Mary Shelley really knew her stuff. The first few pages of that novel still blow me away. Talking about ladies who know their poo, why don't we get Peter Drouyn to invent a decent SUP surf comp concept. That would rip. Suit me a lot better than the ongoing Surfing Australia nepotistic reign of terror over everything that floats. Blah blah.......,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I will only surf in a comp devised by the first lady of one on one if everyone shaves downs and wears lycra wait a minute half of the sup community already qualifys

surfershaneA
863 posts
19 Oct 2014 7:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beerssup said..

surfershaneA said...

beerssup said..

I will only surf in a comp devised by the first lady of one on one if everyone shaves downs and wears lycra wait a minute half of the sup community already qualifys

Those suits were rad. If only there was enough room for your balls! Luckily I did competitive powerlifting back then, so got to wear very similar. That was not long after the times when I was paddling around in a canoe learning to use that paddle thing. At least I did not have to hide in the closet with a certain Surfing NSW Head Judge who really weirds me out!

beerssup
NSW, 513 posts
19 Oct 2014 10:59PM
Thumbs Up

Wow you win your much drunker/weirder than me

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
20 Oct 2014 12:14AM
Thumbs Up

Ha!

surfershaneA
863 posts
20 Oct 2014 6:23AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beerssup said..
Wow you win your much drunker/weirder than me

And I hardly ever even drink beer! (Now that is freaking weird?)

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
20 Oct 2014 10:48AM
Thumbs Up

I just got that deja vu feeling...all over again.

It's always "they" that needs to do something. Just who are "they" exactly?

"They" is you, my friends.

You want change?

Then:

- Get involved with your local club/association/training group.

- Help build up the support base.

- Push upwards, with numbers.

Otherwise you're just making clacky noises on a keyboard.

Adapt
QLD, 723 posts
20 Oct 2014 10:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
HumanCartoon said...
I just got that deja vu feeling...all over again.

It's always "they" that needs to do something. Just who are "they" exactly?

"They" is you, my friends.

You want change?

Then:

- Get involved with your local club/association/training group.

- Help build up the support base.

- Push upwards, with numbers.

Otherwise you're just making clacky noises on a keyboard.

Been there, tried helping and am still more then happy to help, but certain things are out of your control.

As for "they" I prefer not to point fingers directly because I am only one side of the story trying to understand the other side. Normally naming and shaming creates a chest beating competition rather then using the more ambiguous word of "they" so no one feels threatened to speak an opinion.

Just like I felt the need to defend myself from your comments

HumanCartoon
VIC, 2098 posts
20 Oct 2014 12:01PM
Thumbs Up

^if you took my post as a personal tilt, you misread it and missed the point. It was addressed to all.

I don't believe the sport is "out of control". There's a lot more going on than what happens at Currumbin in springtime.

I do believe that 'we' need to have an eye on the long game and 'we' need to be prepared to put up with quite a few years of trial and error.

Goochi
WA, 846 posts
20 Oct 2014 12:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Guys
Great post asking questions, I might be in a position to provide a few answers:
1. The representative body for SUP in Australia is AuSUP we are made up of state reps from - QLD, NSW, Vic, Tas, SA & WA. AuSUP is recognized by - surfing Australia, Australian Canoeing, AOCRA and SLSA as the primary SUP body in Australia. All enquiries for SUP events pass thru the Asusp board (if the involved sports body do due diligence). Troy Pease is the chairman of the 6 state board.
2. AuSUP run the successful - Flatwater SUPfest thru AC. Next years event will attract 80-100 paddlers from around Australia (no qualification required - just fun)
3. AuSUP provides feedback to surfing Australia on the running of the nationals. We were responsible for settling on age divisions, re-allocation of age divisions for racing, the community racing concept (although not the name or the fact the 10km race went on the Flatwater - there were logistical limitations here that were up to the event co-ordinators). Surfing Australia are very open to this feedback and proactive in looking after the future of sup in Australia.
4. The marathon or distance race is exactly that as PT and Lacey point out. There has never been mention of a downwind race (I know I sometimes forget this). SA are following the ISA model which involves upwind legs and not necessarily a straight line course. I know I would personally prefer a DW - but that's why I'm doing the king of the cut. The nationals are there to crown the best marathon paddler and the course raced yesterday was appropriate for this goal.

Remember the nationals are a qualification event. The best from each state are contesting the best surfer, tech racer and marathon paddler. There are numerous events around Australia for paddlers that want to DW - 12 Towers - QLD, king of harbour - NSW and KotC - WA. Not to mention the fantastic conditions and arranged DW of port Phillip bay. The SUPfest is great for those that like Flatwater sprints and middle distance. I feel that ultimately the Nationals will be the pinnacle tech race event in the country (following this discipline line of thought).There is no doubt the spectacle of the past 2 years have emphasized this.

SA have done a good job in putting on a great Australian championship. There are areas that need work and they will happily take on feedback. I believe it is obvious that the surfing has been compromised over the past coupl of years and that perhaps a more surf oriented date still has to be sourced - SA acknowledged this last year and move the date further into October from November. There is a difficulty in matching up times with national and international evens to avoid a clash.

I am aware that the nationals will indeed move around Australia and that other locations have been considered.

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
20 Oct 2014 11:33PM
Thumbs Up

When you have a SUP surfer the quality of Jackson Close saying it was pure luck anyone could have won in the poor conditions surely you have to take notice.

Watching the video if you squint it looked like 1ft ugly wind swell.

How long do we expect people to compete in these sub standard ridiculous conditions?

Why would anyone invest the cash to travel and surf this dribble?

OG SUP
VIC, 3516 posts
21 Oct 2014 9:08AM
Thumbs Up

The key selling point on going to the National SUP titles is that it is the path way to ISA Titles, my question is are the ISA titles even relevant?

You have arguably our top competitors blowing ISA off for the World Tour and rightly so from a commercial point of view!

If the SUP racing does go to the Olympics it will almost certainly be sprint racing or distance on a flat water course so conditions can be guaranteed!

That almost certainly takes out BOP and DW!

And SUP surfing won't get a look in for the same reason Surfing doesn't they can't afford a holding period.

How exactly does the pathway to ISA advantage the SUP sport or does it get ISA the holly grail it has always wanted but can't achieve?

Surely you would be better off with 4 or 5 main AUSUP Events Nationally and structuring them so you build not dissipate the numbers.

Back to hibernation for the grizzly.

supsurfers
QLD, 171 posts
21 Oct 2014 8:19AM
Thumbs Up

Have to give a wrap of them holding the community race format but good and bad
Bad made a long day as they could have had people registered way earlier and ready to go and not waiting for last person to finish. Need to be a lot clearer on distance and what the race would be.
Good brought over 40 people to the event who would have not been there were involved in the titles and had a great time.. And added to the crowd when the people finished. Need to cater for this people as I know after speaking to some now are keen to try and qualify for nationals next year. Which is what the sport should be trying to do
One thingissing big time was on presence of manufacturers gear, they're should have been a tent from each with all there new boards for people to try here is a captured audience.. Food for thought
PS great race Beau & Karla!!!

Macaha
QLD, 21870 posts
21 Oct 2014 9:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
OG SUP said..
The key selling point on going to the National SUP titles is that it is the path way to ISA Titles, my question is are the ISA titles even relevant?

You have arguably our top competitors blowing ISA off for the World Tour and rightly so from a commercial point of view!

If the SUP racing does go to the Olympics it will almost certainly be sprint racing or distance on a flat water course so conditions can be guaranteed!

And SUP surfing won't get a look in for the same reason Surfing doesn't they can't afford a holding period.

How exactly does the pathway to ISA advantage the SUP sport or does it get ISA the holly grail it has always wanted but can't achieve?

Surely you would be better off with 4 or 5 main AUSUP Events Nationally and structuring them so you build not dissipate the numbers.

Don't take this the wrong way,but do you really think that sup will make the Olympic games? Do you guys know that this may happen in the near future or is it a dream?

surfershaneA
863 posts
21 Oct 2014 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
OG SUP said..

The same people who go every year? Admittedly another serious barrier to entry for fresh meat?

husq2100
QLD, 2031 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:41AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
supsurfers said..
Have to give a wrap of them holding the community race format but good and bad
Bad made a long day as they could have had people registered way earlier and ready to go and not waiting for last person to finish. Need to be a lot clearer on distance and what the race would be.
Good brought over 40 people to the event who would have not been there were involved in the titles and had a great time.. And added to the crowd when the people finished. Need to cater for this people as I know after speaking to some now are keen to try and qualify for nationals next year. Which is what the sport should be trying to do
One thingissing big time was on presence of manufacturers gear, they're should have been a tent from each with all there new boards for people to try here is a captured audience.. Food for thought
PS great race Beau & Karla!!!

I guess if the numbers were there you would have more manufactures tents/products. But logistic costs vs return are probably way out of balance atm given the number of people that went?

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
21 Oct 2014 12:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
OG SUP said..
When you have a SUP surfer the quality of Jackson Close saying it was pure luck anyone could have won in the poor conditions surely you have to take notice.

How long do we expect people to compete in these sub standard ridiculous conditions?

Totally agree OG. As I said after last years Nationals, never again if it is on the Goldy at this time of the year.

Port Macquarie in August was great, also it was nice being part of the overall Australian Surfing Titles.

One of the main reasons I surf SUPed was for the competition side of things and without a decent Nats to aim towards it's kinda pointless.

Greenroom
WA, 7608 posts
21 Oct 2014 10:45AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
OG SUP said..

Pure luck? Rick doesn't need luck

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
21 Oct 2014 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
OG SUP said...

So, we the paddlers have given our sport to people who dont paddle, are too scared to hold surf sup comps in decent waves in case they up set some, think dw and upwind paddling is all the same thing like who cares so some can go to world championship that lots of the best paddlers give a miss in the hope one day that standup paddle canoeing in lanes will be accepted as a Olympic sport - excellent

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
21 Oct 2014 7:10PM
Thumbs Up

At least they had the bop race at a beach that allowed some spectators to see it. I would have had it straight out front surfers paradise beach.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"What's gone wrong" started by Adapt