Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

HELP!!! FCS Fin Box Converter

Created by Zeusman > 9 months ago, 26 Nov 2014
Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
26 Nov 2014 5:50PM
Thumbs Up

I'm hoping somebody out there can help me with a problem I'm having trouble getting and FCS box converter out of my Starby Pro.

The FCS converter has a screw with an FCS head holding it in place. I tried to get it out one day but I had originally done it up too tight and when I used an FCS key to try and undo the screw I rounded the inside of the head.

I have tried pliers, tapping it with a flat head screw driver to bet it going and several other unsuccessful processes all to no avail.

Has this happened to anyone else? And if so, what did you end up doing to undo the screw?

FRUSTRATED!!!!!!!

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
26 Nov 2014 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

SUPHIREAUS
NSW, 115 posts
26 Nov 2014 7:06PM
Thumbs Up

Apply super glue or similar to the key insert into screw, let it set then it should come out, just don't over do it with the glue so that it squeezes out when you insert the key

djoblin
99 posts
26 Nov 2014 4:07PM
Thumbs Up

you need an extractor

%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fen.wikipedia.org%252Fwiki%252FScrew_extractor%3B3208%3B2168

snot
NSW, 157 posts
26 Nov 2014 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

file/cut a slot in the head and use a screw driver to undo, if you have a small angle grinder use one of those super thin cutting blades, just be careful, or a rat tooth file, just need enough for the tip to grab, if you use the grinder put a few layers of tape down for protection on slippage, other than that mate your rooted…

Piros
QLD, 6892 posts
26 Nov 2014 6:45PM
Thumbs Up

This is so frustrating the FCS key and the Future key are different sizes chances are you used a future key make sure you have a genuine FCS key. If not the extractor works a treat.

colas
4992 posts
26 Nov 2014 4:54PM
Thumbs Up

Are you sure you have rounded the screw head?

FCS (and future) keys are made of a soft metal so that the key is damaged before the screw head. It is a good safety measure: better replace the key than the screw.

Try to use standard allen keys to unscrew, they are harder than the stock fin keys that must be considered as "consumables".

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
26 Nov 2014 6:56PM
Thumbs Up

Thanx gang

I had the same idea about the super glue but a few people said it wouldn't work due to the glue having flex in it even after setting.
Guess i'll have to get myself an extractor.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
26 Nov 2014 6:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
colas said..
Are you sure you have rounded the screw head?

FCS (and future) keys are made of a soft metal so that the key is damaged before the screw head. It is a good safety measure: better replace the key than the screw.

Try to use standard allen keys to unscrew, they are harder than the stock fin keys that must be considered as "consumables".

Its definitely rounded Colas. Ive tried FCS, Shapers and a couple of other keys and none of them grab. They just keep spinning.

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
26 Nov 2014 8:57PM
Thumbs Up

If you are careful a simple vice grips will do the job........

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
26 Nov 2014 8:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kieranr said...
If you are careful a simple vice grips will do the job........

Tried that

Kieranr
NSW, 526 posts
26 Nov 2014 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Well then an extractor it is for you young man!!

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
26 Nov 2014 9:40PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting they are $18 on the FCS site in the US and $32.95 in Australia. That's a good 50% extra for what exactly? Is there nothing we get ripped off with?

waxer
SA, 247 posts
26 Nov 2014 9:58PM
Thumbs Up

Trying to file a slot in the screw head will be difficult ,if there is sufficient room ,use an angle grinder with one of the very thin metal cut off wheels to cut a slot deep enough to undo with a flat baded screw driver.Might mark the fin a little but minor colateral damage.

SUPHIREAUS
NSW, 115 posts
26 Nov 2014 11:14PM
Thumbs Up

You could also try some Selleys knead it steel, epoxy putty. Put a bit on the end of the key, stick it in the head of the screw let it set overnight and give it a go. Might hold better with less flex than the super glue. Good luck with it.

airSUP
40 posts
27 Nov 2014 6:51AM
Thumbs Up

Try drill out the screw with a 5mm metal drill bit, that might be the best solution

Kami
1566 posts
27 Nov 2014 7:19AM
Thumbs Up

Probably something is filling the hole and you cant fully fit the span in , then try to clean the bottom of the screw hole with a little drill...Sometimes some **** get stuck inside the hole; drill off this thing out of the hole .

Slide a new key through the hole down to the bottom of the hole. Try to unscrew.

SomeGuy
NSW, 23 posts
29 Nov 2014 12:23AM
Thumbs Up

Lightly hammer a very slightly oversize Torx into the rounded hole.

Make sure you spray it with Inox or WD-40 or something first and let it sit for a bit.

Have used this method with success dozens of times.

Otherwise use an Ezy Out, but do it carefully as they break easily and then you have an even bigger mess.

I'd be surprised if the Torx doesn't get it out easily.

flowmaster
291 posts
30 Nov 2014 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

torx with glue would work, use contact gleu, never let's me down so far.

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
1 Dec 2014 7:37AM
Thumbs Up

My wife would use a hammer, how about that!

flowmaster
291 posts
1 Dec 2014 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Make sure you use a real one, seize matters.

wavelength
1195 posts
8 Dec 2014 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

So Zeusman, how did you go? Any luck? Or have you decided you really do like that fin set up after all?

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"HELP!!! FCS Fin Box Converter" started by Zeusman