Select to expand quote
Kami said...
laceys lane said..
Kami said...
Sandsy1 said..
Check out TC.
That's how you turn a sup!!!
www.supboardermag.com/2014/12/01/2-x-surfing-world-champion-tom-carroll-sup/

Sorry but i thought looking at this TC video before your post that he was giving up surfing with those kind of boards. He is far away from the champ's radical move i did know. Just a third age serenity longboarding ; i will do it later on , too soon for me

But kami its good surfing. All surfing develops from good technique. not from surfing the shortest board you can stand on.

Every time mick fanning has come back from injury he surfs a mini mal.

Steph surfs a mal at coolie

Yes Lacey, TC shows a good long boarding technique which is different of the short one as mick fanning is doing mal and forget the short as well for a while. They both don't shortboard in those cases.

Sure shortSUP are paddling instable but i like it because it's sticking or closer to the curl. This is made for surfing nor there stand up paddling

No kami you are missing the point. What they show is how to trim and glide which the basis to all surfing. Its what a lot of guys on any really short boards don't have and it really sticks out when they arent good enough. shorter board just shows it up more.

Tc surfs some really nice lines on the bits ive seen on that vid and that comes with a strong sense of glide and trim

sgo
VIC, 152 posts
2 Dec 2014 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Assuming someone is able to ride a surfboard, I'm sure they surf better on a surfboard than they do on a sup.
Stand Up Paddle boards are just that, paddle boards.
Surfboards are just that, surfboards. (No matter what the style)
thinks a bit.... Yes I'll post my thoughts

waxer
SA, 247 posts
2 Dec 2014 9:54PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sgo said..
Assuming someone is able to ride a surfboard, I'm sure they surf better on a surfboard than they do on a sup.
Stand Up Paddle boards are just that, paddle boards.
Surfboards are just that, surfboards. (No matter what the style)
thinks a bit.... Yes I'll post my thoughts

Wrong on every count.

Tang
VIC, 580 posts
2 Dec 2014 11:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Kami said...

laceys lane said..

Kami said...

Sandsy1 said..
Check out TC.
That's how you turn a sup!!!
www.supboardermag.com/2014/12/01/2-x-surfing-world-champion-tom-carroll-sup/

Sorry but i thought looking at this TC video before your post that he was giving up surfing with those kind of boards. He is far away from the champ's radical move i did know. Just a third age serenity longboarding ; i will do it later on , too soon for me

But kami its good surfing. All surfing develops from good technique. not from surfing the shortest board you can stand on.

Every time mick fanning has come back from injury he surfs a mini mal.

Steph surfs a mal at coolie

Yes Lacey, TC shows a good long boarding technique which is different of the short one as mick fanning is doing mal and forget the short as well for a while. They both don't shortboard in those cases.

Sure shortSUP are paddling instable but i like it because it's sticking or closer to the curl. This is made for surfing nor there stand up paddling

No kami you are missing the point. What they show is how to trim and glide which the basis to all surfing. Its what a lot of guys on any really short boards don't have and it really sticks out when they arent good enough. shorter board just shows it up more.

Tc surfs some really nice lines on the bits ive seen on that vid and that comes with a strong sense of glide and trim

Wish I could ride one like him. And I'm prepared to forgive him the shuffle, dogman.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
2 Dec 2014 10:33PM
Thumbs Up

haha, ok i'm learning to longboard cross step which i've found isn't easy but then i didn't think it would be

but so much fun learning and i'm not getting in anybodies way

sometimes, well you just gotta move fast and a good old fashion good shuffle comes into it

but show me anyone who is without 'shuffle sin'

all good

Kami
1566 posts
2 Dec 2014 8:44PM
Thumbs Up

Sure TC is a talented surfer even on that range of paddle board promoted on that video surfing this mellow point break , but i really prefer the Dogman surfing attack as well as the sound which Dogman use to put on its video.
May be, i can ask myself why bother myself with a shortSUP ?, people with sb, lb and bodyboard doesn't respect me thinking it's a easy way because i'm holding a paddle as others making around the peak out of the surfing rules for the most of them..., some shows some respect looking at the few waves i succeed ... i should take bigger board i would have more success raking all the wave i want , gliding more than ripping and bothering others without taking care of this, selfish way no matter
ShortSUP is reducing access to the line up instead of filling it with as much board you can build overseas where cheap laboring ,promote and sell , shortSUP has pain to get satisfaction.
Just a come back to the beginning, that's why i do it

rahams
NSW, 544 posts
2 Dec 2014 11:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
kiteboy dave said..
I don't get why people buy Harleys. Compared to any other bike they don't go, the don't stop, they don't turn. The seat, the sit up & beg position, and the vibrations aren't comfortable for more than a few minutes, you look silly with a full face helmet on one so you have to have an open faced helmet, then you eat bugs so you get one of those skeleton bug stopper half mask things, so then you end up looking like a wanna be tough guy and your face is still open to getting grated if you come off. You're on a bike that's only really good for making noise for the sake of making noise, and I've heard tractors that sound better. And don't even get me started on leather tassels.

Despite all that, people buy them.

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..
Sorry, I just don't get it.

If you have a good size wave, why not surf a short board? I watch guys on short sups and if I see another flat dishpan turn I'm gonna scream.
They can't go rail to rail, they can't go into vertical snaps, they just don't go, (unless you one of the few pro's who can make it look reasonable).
I watched a guy paddle around in circles, because he couldn't stop. I was getting giddy, just watching him. The board was below the water for most of the time and when he finally got a wave; BORING!!! And he could surf!
The only reason thet I can think of, is that they just want more waves.

Anyone???????

my 2 cents worth . and yes I'm on coopers.mmmmmm beer.
one of the best things about sups when i first started was surfing bigger waves on them.
faark paddling into an overhead wave on a 10' 6" "thing" was unreal.now I'm ridding a 7'10" sup
in everything from flat to not much more at the moment ,its been **** lately but ridding a big wave on a sup is really really good.
anyway thats why i ride a sup when its big.

colas
4992 posts
3 Dec 2014 1:31AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
sgo said..

Definitely not me!
SUPing opened me a level a performance that I never reached in my prone years. Not only do I SUP better than I surf, I SUP better at 54 than I surfed at 24...

Ashmullet
NSW, 282 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:22AM
Thumbs Up

ride em all it's all surfing who cares what people think

not not everyone dish pans and not everyone can bury a rail who cares there out there surfing,,I'm pretty sure more ugly surfing goes down then good surfing at beaches around the globe these days

Kami
1566 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:11AM
Thumbs Up

No bother, just sacrilege and no much dishpans in small waves that day

surfinJ
663 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:20AM
Thumbs Up

Wow sick vid Kami! You've got that paddle mount view pretty nailed. Nice shredding!!

Wanna shape me a 110l version of that board?

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
3 Dec 2014 7:46AM
Thumbs Up

nice. must say that flex tail works on your board which from memory is wide.

just imagine if you didn't have that paddle in your hand

Sandsy1
NSW, 814 posts
3 Dec 2014 11:37AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Up, up, up, down, down, down, couldn't tell what was going on. Vertigo was setting in.

Kami
1566 posts
3 Dec 2014 10:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..
laceys lane said..

Up, up, up, down, down, down, couldn't tell what was going on. Vertigo was setting in.

Had i stick rasta color grip on my board, i do think to stay positive this way , it was right to do that specially for you, bros

I thumb you up both of you, you really desserve it

Not me on the board, just a friend Seb from R?union Island who borrowed my board, he take this video to thanks me.

goatman
NSW, 2151 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:02PM
Thumbs Up

I'm with Noel (Rahams) SUPs are unreal in big stuff, particulaly Bombies and big ocean type waves. You can see better and get in early.

I've gone back to riding SBs and for me there is no comparison for the majority of waves I ride here in Sydney. Between crowds and very critical waves close to rocks the SB wins hands down. I had forgotten how much easier SBs are to ride barrells!! The new tech in surfboards is insane as well, the Tomos are revolutionary. I am lucky though as I don't have any injuries that stop me getting on the SB, infact I found the SUP harder on the body.

But at the end of the day who cares as long as you are stoked riding whatever it is your riding and your not a tool in the lineup!

sgo
VIC, 152 posts
3 Dec 2014 5:15PM
Thumbs Up

I'll define "surfing" as riding a wave on a board.

Simple physics or hydrodynamics or whatever it is that makes 'boards work will show you that for comparable equipment a surfboard will "surf" better that an SUP.
That's why performance sups are getting closer to surfboard size and design, that's where the best performance is.

TC does look better on a surfboard than an sup.
-
-
-
I'm not talking about the fun factor, wave count or any other reason we ride what we ride. Just the basics of riding a wave.
(Apologies to the dude in the photos for use of pics.)

macs
NSW, 78 posts
3 Dec 2014 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

thats smitty in the ments ...

Kami
1566 posts
4 Dec 2014 2:54AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
macs said..
thats smitty in the ments ...

doesn't seem to bother whatever the kind of shortboard he is surfing

amacanu
WA, 12 posts
5 Dec 2014 1:32AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Sandsy1 said..

stehar said..
I am in my 60 ties and longer board ( 9'1") suits me for paddling up the beach to diff breaks and longer arc turns and cutties - way I HAVE ALWAYS SURFED.

If you grew up with a short board and can no longer ride them because of injury - why not try and get a SUP thats going to surf the way you like and have done all your life.

I love the advantage I have in paddling a kilometer or more up the beach to an uncrowded break - carparks are only at ends of beaches where I live.

If you are a young hottie, from what I can see - the cross training affect from SUP to shortboard will improves both sets of skills.

Steve

Agree with you completely. I ride a 10'6" Laird. Love it.
I meant those 7' x 26" pimples!

Love my 10'6" LAIRD too :-) , just got the 10'0" LAIRD Surfer also and this board is UNREAL to surf and paddle. Great early entry on to any wave because of the glide, fun to noseride and carves rail to rail like a demon.

Kami
1566 posts
5 Dec 2014 3:31AM
Thumbs Up

I love my 10' laird me too , much better with no shuffling and dishpan

JeanG
161 posts
5 Dec 2014 4:11PM
Thumbs Up

I love my Dave Mel 7'4x23.75

Paddled two miles distance on it today, plus surfing, for a couple hours total. Would've stayed out longer but the sun had long set. I fell into the water once (small wave conditions).

Rough conditions are no problem, but after 60-90 mins I'll get tired.

Pictured next to my Corran 8'2x26.5. The 8'2 Corran is a classic and one of my favorite boards ever. It's also the largest board I regularly use.

I hope that Dave doesn't mind me posting a photo which features my amateurish deck pad job. He ships his boards with excellent deckoads cut to fit, but I told him to hold off so that I could use my own.

Kami
1566 posts
5 Dec 2014 4:16PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JeanG said..

Paddled two miles distance on it today, plus surfing, for a couple hours total.

Rough conditions are no problem, but not for more than one hour.

Pictured next to my 8'2x26.5.

I' m just frothing about amazed taking off you do with these boards, worth the pain to paddling stood up before

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
5 Dec 2014 7:38PM
Thumbs Up

but why use a paddle at that size.

might as well just prone it. you could surf for hours if you wanted too

Casso
NSW, 3764 posts
6 Dec 2014 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

^^ That's a 7'2". I don't think I could have surfed that wave better on a shortboard, even when I was six years younger and riding a shortboard all the time.

beerssup
NSW, 513 posts
6 Dec 2014 9:55AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said...

Maybe because he wants to use a paddlewhy do you ride boring as bats siht long boards when you could surf a wave a lot better on a shortboard.

tha dogman
NSW, 2912 posts
6 Dec 2014 2:10PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Tang said...

Wish I could ride one like him. And I'm prepared to forgive him the shuffle, dogman.

No Way!!!!!!

JeanG
161 posts
6 Dec 2014 1:42PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Kami said..

JeanG said..

Paddled two miles distance on it today, plus surfing, for a couple hours total.

Rough conditions are no problem, but not for more than one hour.

Pictured next to my 8'2x26.5.

I' m just frothing about amazed taking off you do with these boards, worth the pain to paddling stood up before

No pain! Board is easy to stand on. :)

JeanG
161 posts
6 Dec 2014 1:43PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

Not a fan of worm's eye view surfing.

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
6 Dec 2014 4:45PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
beerssup said..

laceys lane said...

Maybe because he wants to use a paddlewhy do you ride boring as bats siht long boards when you could surf a wave a lot better on a shortboard.

dear beersups I do surf short boards

and longboards and 12'6 sups and dw

thePup
13831 posts
6 Dec 2014 2:50PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
laceys lane said..

beerssup said..

laceys lane said...

dear beersups I do surf short boards

and longboards and 12'6 sups and dw

..... and you are an insatiable animal with too much spare boardcoin in your pockets

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Short Surfing SUP's - Why bother?" started by Sandsy1