Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Gulliver carbon VBOX

Created by porchey73 > 9 months ago, 5 Feb 2015
porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
5 Feb 2015 3:44PM
Thumbs Up

I had the honour of testing out the new carbon VBOX model at the alley the other day. So light (4.5 kg without grip and fins) compared to my regular one. I was still running the same fin setup.
I noticed that it was a lot livelier especially on my backhand and I could just get a little more higher board angle in each turn off the face. I almost put my back out on my back hand on one backhand transition turn. Any hoo, here are some pictures of it at rest and at play. Lots of car park comments from this particular board.

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
5 Feb 2015 6:58PM
Thumbs Up

Looks smick what size ?

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
5 Feb 2015 7:25PM
Thumbs Up

This is the 7'3 board 95 litres.

SUPSMURF
NSW, 164 posts
5 Feb 2015 8:50PM
Thumbs Up

Hey Porchey is this a full carbon wrapped board?

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
5 Feb 2015 7:58PM
Thumbs Up

Nice pics Porchey! So far i really like the look of the Gulliver shape over all the others. Would love to try one.

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
5 Feb 2015 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

supgman; it has carbon and innegra with some extra carbon. It wraps around onto the hull. The carbon patterning looks nice and well laid. I have had a lot of people come up and really look at it as it is a pretty board.

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
5 Feb 2015 8:16PM
Thumbs Up

Zeusman ...This carbon one is very new at present.. Still wet behind the ears. Good question. I had not considered that. I will find out when a demo one will be available for this lay up. The shop at Burleigh has a water tank feature where you can check out volume etc. I will try to find out and see if a demo one like this can be released.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
5 Feb 2015 8:35PM
Thumbs Up

Sweet!

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
5 Feb 2015 9:14PM
Thumbs Up

In three weeks a carbon demo will be available..

roachy
NSW, 383 posts
6 Feb 2015 7:45AM
Thumbs Up

Porchey what is the difference between these and the gambler model ? Are you riding vbox as a quad

CAUTION
WA, 1097 posts
6 Feb 2015 10:24AM
Thumbs Up

curious to know what sort of range you guys are finding these boards goin in terms of wave types.
e.g. fast punchy beach breaks, do they get up and boogie for a quick snap or tuck in barrel or is the wide tail too big to handle?
i think having the shortness could give great ability to throw around and get a snap in, like progressive prone shortboards, but if handlable.

Then the other spectrum of larger waves, will it handle head high solid powerful reef breaks, say like a tombstones kind of wave?
For fatter waves like Mettams pool (Perth) or shoulders around the traps think these look mint to use.
I am in Perth, WA so we dont see this sort of stuff, just production boards and IOPS.
always keen to see what is working over east where these progressive shapers are driving a future of one kind of board.
Will it work for our local conditions? who knows but the idea of riding a 7"3, plus throwing it in the car, travelling with etc is appealing compared to an 8"9.

JacobMatan
WA, 431 posts
6 Feb 2015 4:33PM
Thumbs Up

Please send us some vanguard style sups we poor sand gropers are so interested in trying this new shape yet have no means
Vbox, minions, gamblers, fridge doors, we would be happy for a go on any of these

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
6 Feb 2015 9:04PM
Thumbs Up

The difference between the gambler and the vbox is length and tail shape. The vbox allows you to surf a shorter board say for me a 7'3" whereas a gambler would be slightly longer at 7'5" as the nose has a little less volume. A diamond tail is on the gambler with the same v bottom and rails as the VBOX . I travelled through bali recently on a family holiday and rode three different rented mopeds to go surfing every day. It was awesome for that sense of security when you have your wife, kids and luggage as well as your board and paddle to go in the Suzuki van or SUV that you have commandeered. It is really important that it fits inside. You can also just stand it up in the corner of the room you are in no probs so it can be locked up. I keep it in my Kluger at work in case I can get away early for a few sneaky waves before the hordes arrive.

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
6 Feb 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

I will reply back to the other queries when I have had l a think about it a bit.

ghost4man
408 posts
7 Feb 2015 6:14PM
Thumbs Up

I dont understand how this board can possibly weigh 4.5kg with 95 litres under the bonnet.

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
9 Feb 2015 9:29AM
Thumbs Up

Carbon makes the board lighter than using other glass Kevlar innegra types of cloth. It is an awesome material to use but unfortunately more expensive for manufacturers. Especially since they started making giant A380 jumbo wings out of the stuff. Will get some rotor cam footage up soon so you can check out how it goes.. I think with different fin setups this will handle most conditions. For surfing real ugly choppy conditions will require a bigger longer board.. For me a 7'9" gambler maybe or a 7'6" VBOX. It went good on the weekend on 4-5 ft waves..

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
9 Feb 2015 11:10AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
porchey73 said...
Carbon makes the board lighter than using other glass Kevlar innegra types of cloth. It is an awesome material to use but unfortunately more expensive for manufacturers. Especially since they started making giant A380 jumbo wings out of the stuff. Will get some rotor cam footage up soon so you can check out how it goes.. I think with different fin setups this will handle most conditions. For surfing real ugly choppy conditions will require a bigger longer board.. For me a 7'9" gambler maybe or a 7'6" VBOX. It went good on the weekend on 4-5 ft waves..

Hey Prochey. On the website they show all the figures for each size except the weights. Do you happen to know what they all weigh?

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
10 Feb 2015 9:57AM
Thumbs Up

Ok I went down to flat rock (right on between the two shark attacks) on the weekend and took some footage a made a quick video for you.

Or you can search on Porchey SUP on you tube . This was all filmed on sat arvo..

Towny
NSW, 903 posts
10 Feb 2015 8:08PM
Thumbs Up

I'm leaning into those bottom turns with you with that angle,
Im Loving the VBox too

tempo2
NSW, 35 posts
10 Feb 2015 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
porchey73 said..

so how much $ r thay?

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
14 Feb 2015 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
14 Feb 2015 8:43AM
Thumbs Up

[/img

Marc1234
QLD, 3 posts
14 Feb 2015 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

What fin set up are you using on the v-box

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
14 Feb 2015 2:51PM
Thumbs Up

At the moment I am using shapers fins Jackson Close at the front with sx's quads at the back with a nubster in the tail... I will change the rears to a larger pair when I am encountering serious size. I will try a new setup soon, but am very happy with this setup..I will be sniffing around a normal quad setup for a shortboarder with the inclusion of the nubster fin. Will let you know how it goes...

Marc1234
QLD, 3 posts
14 Feb 2015 4:27PM
Thumbs Up

Hey porchey thanks for the reply , also do you reckon you could use a large thruster setup or is the tail just to wide?

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
14 Feb 2015 8:55PM
Thumbs Up

It just didn't feel right at all for me. But it might have for you! I felt that I had more grip on the wave face and the board was faster. If anything, I would be experimenting next with a larger nubster fin in bigger waves. Azza recommends trying a junior from back fin in a bonza fin setup as a possibility in larger waves. I have yet to find a wave that big yet. Probably 10 ft plus maybe.. I was surfing Indonesia reef breaks at 8 ft and had no problem at all with this current setup..this is fast and loose.

Kami
1566 posts
14 Feb 2015 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

Just try my 6'5"28" looking close as your Vbox but shorter. I try few fins set up but i reckon FCS Nexus H3 in front with H2 as quad fins works unreal. Just crank, no dishpan just releasing progressively at end of carving.
On wide tail as Vangard style SUP 7' long, i believe that short fins like H3 from FCS allow tu bury rails even flying on the tail off bottom turn as well than up the face.
After surfing head on for 4 weeks in islands, i really think to get fin shallow as possible so there is less fins surface to sink so the rail board digs deeper in the face.
Can you try that idea of fins with Futures boxes
Can be the bonze fin which Azza is talking about

Marc1234
QLD, 3 posts
15 Feb 2015 8:18AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the advice guy's

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
18 Feb 2015 7:41PM
Thumbs Up

Kami you sound like you have a similar preference with me for how a board should react. Some other people I know keep talking to me about having bigger fins to get more drive etc. but I feel that I would lose the "looseness on tap" that I have now with this board.

RRK
61 posts
1 Mar 2015 2:52PM
Thumbs Up

interesting shapes.
I have come to the point where I seriously consider forking out the $$
paddled a 7'9 in no wave, just on shore chop. jumped on and paddled for half an hour without falling in.
I weigh about 75kg and would say the 7'3 is the one quiver board for me??? Or is one up or down a better idea.

I hope to get the 7'9 out in some waves soon before pulling the trigger.
I hear some serious positive feedback on these! the looks are awesome and they are so light. Great first impression.

porchey73
QLD, 78 posts
1 Mar 2015 10:41PM
Thumbs Up

7'3" would be perfect I think for you. .. As you progress you could even drop to a 7'0 if you don't put on too much weight.. I love this size board ( 7'3") !!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Gulliver carbon VBOX" started by porchey73