Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

Air Travel with SUP

Created by muirs > 9 months ago, 22 May 2015
muirs
SA, 165 posts
22 May 2015 7:40AM
Thumbs Up

Hi all,

Heading to New Caledonia in December and want to take my SUP (8'10" Starboard Widepoint).

Are people getting SUPS on plane as part of the baggage allowance?
What airlines are best?

Specifically, domestic Virgin versus Qantas for the flight to Melb.
Air Calina (Melb/Syd to Noumea) look pretty generous, with 23 kg + 10kg for sporting equip.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Sam

Gandalf
WA, 86 posts
28 May 2015 2:25PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Sam,

If you book with Virgin you can take sporting equipment/surfboards etc. They specifically mention surf equipment and how to pack it. There are different size limitations according to which aircraft they're using but as an example the Virgin flight I'm taking to Bali has a length limit of 3m.

Hope this helps!

Frank

muirs
SA, 165 posts
28 May 2015 5:54PM
Thumbs Up

cheers mate, do you know if the weight of the gear is included in your baggage weight (of 23kg) though, or extra? Guess I should probably ask the airline now that I have booked (Virgin and Air Calin)
Cheers,
Sam

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
29 May 2015 10:26AM
Thumbs Up

It's all there on Virgin web site, you can either take your board in place of your suitcase/bag or add additional baggage and yes the board still has baggage weight.

Sports Equipment Each item of sporting equipment represents one piece of checked baggage allowance, provided that it does not exceed the maximum size and weight limits. Sporting equipment includes but is not restricted to: Bikes Golf clubs Snow skis/ Snowboards Surfboards Cricket/tennis bags

muirs
SA, 165 posts
29 May 2015 8:13PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks Mick

GizzieNZ
4102 posts
31 May 2015 1:36PM
Thumbs Up

Was talking to guy from California who brought a couple of sups with him on air new Zealand.....sups travel free as long as they are under 9 foot and are masquerading as your baggage.
His boards were Kings......step rails and Kevlar mesh for strength. Picked one up.....it felt not much heavier than a feather :)

Tardy
4930 posts
31 May 2015 3:35PM
Thumbs Up

Yep .....sizes ..2.7. Metres or 9 foot is ok .if you have a board bag which you will have ,stuff all you clothes in it to make it up to 23 kgs .other wise you can pay a extra 55$ for a extra bag .but 23 kg is enough to travel with plus hand luggage . Bon voyage .wee wee. It will be very hot up there in December .
watch the sea snakes ....take some dark sunglasses ..nice sights on the beaches .

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
31 May 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

I flew Virgin with a 9'10" Hokua with my clothes in the board bag and toiletries in my carry on. No worries

snot
NSW, 157 posts
31 May 2015 7:22PM
Thumbs Up

Take a body board mate, heaps easier

muirs
SA, 165 posts
2 Jun 2015 7:47AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks all, so I guess I'll use my main bag for a sup, and try and convince a mate to use my kites as his main bag, and another with the fishing gear, haha.

Body board, you're joking right!? haha

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"Air Travel with SUP" started by muirs