Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

SUP/Surf gloves ? any good

Created by Supmaori > 9 months ago, 24 May 2015
Supmaori
746 posts
24 May 2015 4:58PM
Thumbs Up

Hi as winter is approaching and water temperature drops and wind chill factor rises..I'm thinking of purchasing some gloves..I've never used them before and wondering what the pros and cons are of paddling with them. Can you recommend any or give any feedback. Thanks that would be most appreciated..chur

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
24 May 2015 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

I bought some last winter and love them. Apart from the warmth they provide, the extra grip on your paddle shaft is great too.

Seajuice
NSW, 907 posts
24 May 2015 9:39PM
Thumbs Up

HAAa!!! It's getting colder hey! For the first time last winter I wore booties, (RipCurl Bombs), but my fingers have been getting very numb too.
So I then just remembered I had a pair of Cressi brand neoprene diving gloves that I hadn't used for a while. I checked them out a couple of weeks ago & thought perfect! They are fairly thin neoprene with thin soft leather on the palm side of the hand. Should work great. Cannot see any problems using them. As long as you don't lose much feel like thick gloves. One more week & I should be wearing them. Lol!

supthecreek
2583 posts
25 May 2015 1:41AM
Thumbs Up

Just getting some perverse pleasure from this... finally the booty is on the other foot.
Today was my 1st day without a wetsuit

sorry....

Slab
1061 posts
25 May 2015 3:06AM
Thumbs Up

I have used the old Xcel 1.5 gloves past years right through winter .....good grip. They don't make them anymore though.

Grenfell
NSW, 291 posts
25 May 2015 7:10AM
Thumbs Up

hyperflexusa.com/categories/supreme-paddle/

Supmaori
746 posts
25 May 2015 8:59AM
Thumbs Up

awesome thanks guys for the comments. Looks like i will be looking for some gloves!

supthecreek
2583 posts
25 May 2015 6:52PM
Thumbs Up

If you just need a little protection with max comfort and grip... 2mm Ripcurl
More warmth, go 3/2

www.ripcurl.com/us//

airSUP
40 posts
26 May 2015 2:33AM
Thumbs Up

stacked™ 5 finger gloves, I don't recommend them, mine stated to fall apart after about a month

airSUP
40 posts
26 May 2015 2:37AM
Thumbs Up

Many surf gloves will have a join along the inside of the thumb, for SUP this is bad, the join will start to break open when holding your paddle...

In the case of the "supreme" brand they come apart at all the seams and the vinyl on the sides of each finger falls off!!

Area10
1508 posts
26 May 2015 9:47AM
Thumbs Up

The Da Kine outrigger gloves are good if you just want marginal warmth and protection from abrasion.

But Xcel 1.5mm gloves are great if you want more warmth. I bought some only a little while ago so maybe they haven't stopped selling them in all territories? The 3mm are good for SUP surf in cool climates.

A lot of surf neoprene gloves fall apart too quickly because they can't handle the constant abrasion of paddling. So look very carefully at the construction.

Antho
VIC, 508 posts
26 May 2015 8:31PM
Thumbs Up

Triple X in Ballina do a great titanium lined glove... Five-fingered and really grippy, super warm and Don (the owner) is very helpful. He sells a great quality product!

Jeroensurf
866 posts
26 May 2015 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

In wintertime when air is around zero and water +5C I use Xcell 5mm gloves.
They are thick and they hinder a bit with paddling, but its less worse as without. they seem to last as well...4y old :)When its getting warmer/less cold , I use 2mm gloves till its doable without them.
If you don,t have allready an hooded suit, also invest in a decent hood with flaps inside AND over the neck collar to seal it up tightly.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"SUP/Surf gloves ? any good" started by Supmaori