Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

How much is too much?

Created by ActionSportsWA > 9 months ago, 19 Jun 2015
ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
19 Jun 2015 3:39PM
Thumbs Up

Hi Peeps,

As a retailer trying to gauge the feeling of the general buying public, we have received the latest pricelist's and have heard of prices from other brands we don't stock, so have a good idea of the costs of each product group for 2016.

Yes, the poor old Aussie Peso has copped another shelacking on the world stage and coupled with rising inflation in Asia, the prices of most of the new gear coming out has increased from between 10-30% for most brands.

So the question is ....

How much is too much to pay for :

Carbon raceboards?
high end wave boards? (Carbon or quality lightweight wood)
and of course the humble all rounder?

Are you happy to forego quality of build and lightweight to save some money?

With pressure from Chinese manufacturers on the big brands from Cobra, and a saturated market on the entry level gear, bringing board/paddle/bag etc packages down to less that $800, how much are most prepared to pay for the 2016 range of gear?

I think I have a fair idea, but am interested in the thoughts of the SUP community.

Please discuss ....

DM

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

Tricky questions...

There are so many factors:

1. The size of your wallet
2. The level of support you have from your partner
3. How you are influenced by brand-names
4. How badly you have supitis
5. How serious you are about performance
6. Availability has an influence as well - are you willing to wait for a cheaper or better board

Personally; I will buy the board that suits my needs. Price is not the determining factor.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
19 Jun 2015 4:12PM
Thumbs Up

Hi guys,

No stress, of course there are many variables involved over differing socio economic sectors and locations. Some people will always have the coin for their fave toy.

This was always going to be a prickly topic. I'm just curious. We have already made our first orders so it's not going to influence us either way. Just curious, as I'm sure many retailers would be.

DM

Piros
QLD, 6892 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:23PM
Thumbs Up

I hear what you are saying and some Chinese stuff is getting better but it's still based on older designs and really old construction which can be OK for the average punter. Cobra is leading edge shapes and hi tech construction. Once upon a time you could walk through Cobra but not anymore it's all top secret and for good reason they have sunk millions into the new construction processes and add to that all the designs are from some of the best shapers in the world.

Compare it to the 4WD industry the Chinese have some amazingly cheap 4WD'S that do the job , but they still pail in comparison compared to the Toyotas ect. You get what you pay and the poor man will always pay the most.

Over the last couple of years Sup design and construction has just moved forward so fast giving us lighter , stronger and more torsionally flexing super high performance boards. Unfortunately for us this means more cost to build with hi tech composites & bullet proof construction. Add to that the weak Aussie dollar it hurts bad.

Owning a couple of brand name short sups and a couple of race boards now puts you way over 10k that's big coin , it comes down to your passion and what you want and can afford out of the sport. Customs from your local shaper are still a really good option but resale on a brand name will always get you more.

Just ride and pay for what you can afford, when we are all out on the water we're all the same just sharing the stoke.

SupaTrooper
QLD, 243 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:27PM
Thumbs Up

As a self confessed board whore (on average I buy a different board every 3 or 4 months to try something different or to upgrade with my ability) i was advised by my local retailer of the price rise (the biggest a 30% increase on one of main brands) which would see a carbon race board for over $4500 and over $3500 for a surf sup and told him straight up there's no way I'm payin that amount for any board particularly when other brands such as Sunova can produce the same quality at just over $2G's. I see a big benefit for local manfactures such as Deep also being the choice because of the excellent quality they produce while keeping their prices reasonable.

There is a point where it doesn't matter how good the product is if it is outside the budget of the regular joe then it will fail in the competitive marketplace and some of the expected 2016 prices apprear to be headed that direction.

Everyone would love a Ferrari but drive a Holden because that's what the budget allows.

Piros
QLD, 6892 posts
19 Jun 2015 6:39PM
Thumbs Up

SupaTrooper good points and Sunova definitely have a great construction and price point boards. Tino from Sunova worked at Cobra for 8 years Deep & DC are also my pick for the customs.

Brenno
QLD, 890 posts
19 Jun 2015 7:05PM
Thumbs Up

Great topic. I thought that when the "top brands" hit 2K it was getting a little ridiculous and couldn't go much further. How wrong i was.
Yep, i got excited when i unwrapped a few shiny numbers from asia, and yep some of them surfed really well. Not one of them lasted.
I'm waiting for my third board from Deep. All under 2K and all as tough as. But that's not the best thing.
The best thing to me is supporting a local business that puts out a quality product. Like we used to back in the good old days.
Remember? I do. My first car was a HG holden, my favourite was an XY falcon. Maybe i'm just getting old......

jojameka
VIC, 94 posts
19 Jun 2015 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

I am one that buys to a budget. I was awaiting next years starboards. I was particularly interested in the 12'2 Freeride. Spoke to the local dealer -saw the dealer's catalogue for next year. There appeared to be no difference in design or construction , merely cosmetic changes, and they will be a LOT higher in price. I had a look around to find you could pick up a superceded 12'6 JM latitude for a minimum $500 less. Then I went to the Hobie stand at the boat show last week. Had a look at the 2014/15 12'4 Venture. Discounted show price was only $100 more than the JM. Beautiful board -bamboo, carbon, fiberglass construction. Ordered one. There will always be a market for high end SUP boards. I think if I was a dealer or manufacturer I would be doing a BIG marketing push to make SUP the new cycling. It was about 10 years ago that cycling became the new golf. Get those middle aged, cashed up men in lycra into boardies or wetsuits instead. Much safer just as good exercise and , as one who rode bikes competitively and socially for 30 years , a hell of a lot more fun. When this lot hit the roads the sales of high end bikes went ballistic.

bradsdubs
QLD, 161 posts
19 Jun 2015 7:12PM
Thumbs Up

When I first got into SUP about 4 years ago, I was astounded that 2nd hand SUPs were only $200 less than a new one. That reflects high demand and short supply. There is now an abundance of 2nd hand SUPs on the market. You lose $1000-1500, or more, on a big brand board within 1 year of buying it new. the loss is more than the purchase price of a cheapy.
Being a largely retiree [or close to] market which means cashed up and willing to spend to be seen with the coolest and most high tech stuff, they upgrade every year. Let's face it, why would you be seen with a 2014 SB Allstar that is blue with red strips when the latest Allstar is Blue with green strips with the same performance for 95% of the population. I'm not retirement age and am thus very happy with this glut of 2nd hand SUPs as I can pick up top quality boards often for half the new retail price or lower.

I've seen the same thing occur in the era of sailboards, so it is to be expected. Many businesses will not be sustainable, unfortunately.
You'd also have to ask why the top brand boards are so expensive when they are manufactured in a low labour cost country such as Thailand, whilst ones in China are cheap and pretty good. This is despite the hysteria in spin, commentary and advertising that they fall to bits. Many of those boards suit probably 70% of the SUP population considering the purpose for which they are used.
Like in sailboarding, the sponsored riders with their hands out, and everyone else trying to make some $ out of a passion, force up the final selling price.

Also the race scene, with SUPs also happening to be the world's slowest racing paddlecraft, forces all the R&D dollars into it, but really racing only suits a small percentage of the SUP population.

Don't get me wrong . I love SUP both racing, ocean and waves and proudly own 3, 2nd hand boards [race , downwind and wave..all premium carbon boards.. Fanatic, SIC Bullet and PSH ]...but the prices for new premium boards are outrageous. The more people who decide enough is enough and vote with their dollars the better. There was one chap on a SUP club forum last night proudly telling a newbie asking for advice about buying a first board, to expect to buy 4 or 5 boards!!! Seriously?

This is why, in the case of the racing scene, the one design thing could be such a good thing for racing. Maybe a hard board one design might be the go? Maybe just stick with inflatables.

Those of us who were in the sailboard Windsurfer One Design scene in the 80-90's, would look back at that time with big smiles on our faces remembering how much fun, camaraderie, and just how competitive it was, for not a big cost.

I'll leave you with those thoughts.

I might go and surf SUP tomorrow.

cheers

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
19 Jun 2015 7:29PM
Thumbs Up

I was in an economics briefing yesterday and it was stated that the RBA would like the AUD to go even lower to support our shift from mining to other exports and services. I hate to say it but don't hold your breath for China board deals to save you, it is just the AUD going down across most currencies. Check the graph below against USD and Chinese Yuan. $4,500 boards could be a bit of a hit on the budget but people have been paying over $6k for OC1s for a few years now and, whilst there aren't many races for those, I still think more clubbies would buy them if they were easier to get. I'm sure there is still a market for quality product. Anyway, the amount I'm paying for my wedding this year puts it all in perspective. I definitely won't be trading that purchase in any time soon.

Good news for our local makers if they can ramp up their production a bit so they have enough to stock the shops. Of course, fibreglass and foam probably comes off a boat too.
https://chart.finance.yahoo.com/z?s=AUDUSD%3dX&t=2y&q=l&l=on&z=l&c=AUDCNY=X&a=v&p=s&lang=en-AU®ion=AU

Snowie
NSW, 149 posts
19 Jun 2015 7:35PM
Thumbs Up

...and the AUD has fallen just as much against the Thai Baht too...but on the positive side, we'll all be staying in Australia and have more leisure time and will need toys...

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
19 Jun 2015 7:40PM
Thumbs Up

Cheap , cheap , cheap the majority will always go the cheapest.the smart ones go for middle of the road the one percenters go for the top

colas
4993 posts
19 Jun 2015 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
There are so many factors:

Nice list. I would add:
7. Your age. Most people discovering SUP after having let the years made enjoying waves seem a thing of the past have been struck by rediscovering their youth again... this is invaluable!

On a side note, we have the same phenomenon now in the euro zone. The benefit is to make locally-made boards more financially viable: Gong for instance is going to produce its high end line in Europe now. It also boosts the second-hand market, which may help custom shapers, as reselling a custom made board was always an issue.

stimo
WA, 874 posts
19 Jun 2015 5:56PM
Thumbs Up

yes i have heard the top brands have just about priced them self out of the market in the top of range race boards and wave boards so start looking local people and keep all the money in australia thats custom boards iam refering too .
keep your local shapers going just a few brands come to mind in no order all great boards Deep Katana DC laguna bay must be heaps more give them a free plug crew i am sure Laurie will understand
and also suport you local shops if you want the production boards

paul.j
QLD, 3306 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:05PM
Thumbs Up

It will be super interesting so see where it all goes, i know when i look at pricing from the big brands it scares me a little!!

Maybe there is another option just around the corner for a high end board but at a very good price.

One would also have to think local boards might increase there price as most of the products that they are made of are imported plus as they get busyer and have trouble keeping up usally the price will increase or as they imploy more people and the overheads go up prices will go the same way. Its all a double edge sword in some ways.

Could be a fun ride!!

bazell
NSW, 120 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:14PM
Thumbs Up

In a new board anything over 2k is hard to justify. As bradsdubs said the 2nd hand market is becoming better value with more variety and cheeper prices.

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bazell said..
In a new board anything over 2k is hard to justify.

That's an interesting question, isn't it. How do you justify $1000, $2000, $3000? I used to buy mals that were under $1000. Then I bought a McTavish board which cost closer to $1500. My frame of reference moved and I ponied up the $. Then after my first el cheapo SUP I was told the new board was going to be >$1500 - potentially over $2000. And they wanted my to buy the paddle separately. And the bag! I guess there is more to making a SUP than a surfboard - so my frame of reference moved again.

So the idea of "hard to justify" is a little relative. People who have been SUPing for some time may struggle with the higher prices because they remember lower prices.

There is no doubt that $2k is a lot of money, and if you don't have it you don't have it, but I know that $2k can disappear quickly if you plan a short holiday somewhere - but a SUP is forever (almost).

Just a thought...

Baysup
NSW, 32 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:36PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Brenno said..
Great topic. I thought that when the "top brands" hit 2K it was getting a little ridiculous and couldn't go much further. How wrong i was.
Yep, i got excited when i unwrapped a few shiny numbers from asia, and yep some of them surfed really well. Not one of them lasted.
I'm waiting for my third board from Deep. All under 2K and all as tough as. But that's not the best thing.
The best thing to me is supporting a local business that puts out a quality product. Like we used to back in the good old days.
Remember? I do. My first car was a HG holden, my favourite was an XY falcon. Maybe i'm just getting old......

Plus one on Brenno's comments. This topic had to come up. The line has been crossed for myself.
Just can't justify the spend. Happy for the troups who can.

My new Deep Minion got glassed up today. Can't understand why it took me so long to go with a local shaper for my SUP. I used local shapers in the 90's for my slalom sail boards.
should have the Minion by next week end.....can't wait.

My only regret, the retailer I have been supporting for years without question because he's a top bloke who offers great service loses a sale.

Thanks Sam, I'm sure I'll find other ways to spend money in your shop

4XL
VIC, 222 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:42PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting topic

2500 is brdering on the high side for me. Nonetheless, I look to second hand as a new product devalues very quickly. Race boards supposedly become obsolete after the new boards are released. How do you justify the price . . . . Darren i don't know. Putting it another way, if 14 ft race boards were 2500 or less I'd be more inclined to buy. . . . . New (Latest and fastest)

seen this happen in windsurfing where the top race products became unrealistic and thus killed that end of the market 4 most

s

teatrea
QLD, 4177 posts
19 Jun 2015 8:48PM
Thumbs Up

At the end of the day the market will dictate the pricing structure.How much faster or how much can performance improve.it has always been about value for money , if i was a retailer id be thinking value add , or innovative materials. Expecially those that are eco friendly , a point of difference is a must weather it be price , pwrformance or materials.

SUPingCaveman
NSW, 111 posts
19 Jun 2015 9:06PM
Thumbs Up

I was given a heads up on new pricing today and the 30% suggestion is spot on. Great opportunity for Aussie board makers.
Sucks to be so far away from them

TimBurleigh
QLD, 112 posts
19 Jun 2015 9:13PM
Thumbs Up

Great topic! We have been warned for over a year about the $AU dropping but understand that the country needs it. I have also noticed a lot of the major brands producing boards in some of our manufacturers instead of cobra. Maybe this is an indication of things to come and they are looking for sustainable pricing outcomes? Or maybe the savings will supplement their diminishing GPs? Even though I am a retailer I still push the local manufacturers like Deep and DC. Customisable board shapes and design are becoming more sought after as the sport grows.

All in all I think all the above responses are relevant. Different horses for different courses but backing the favourite may not always the best option.

Nozza
VIC, 2835 posts
19 Jun 2015 9:16PM
Thumbs Up

Been in it 2 years, first board sub $2000, second just over.
Money not the issue, (not that I'm rolling in it), but once a board is over $2500, serious questions arise - it's a hobby I can't justify the spend on.
Enjoying trolling the second hand market - every board is new to me, I don't need the latest.
Can move older boards on at a not too significant loss to keep new variety arriving.
If higher import prices let the local market thrive, good.
People need to get off the "brand" mania.
But if they can justify a BMW over a Toyota, let them spend.

AndyR
QLD, 1344 posts
19 Jun 2015 9:33PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
paul.j said...

Maybe there is another option just around the corner for a high end board but at a very good price.

Agree. High end products can be made in China for a lot less than cobra.

Scott79
QLD, 209 posts
19 Jun 2015 10:25PM
Thumbs Up

I think we have all been a little numbed by the huge price tags already, I know I have anyway in the short time (3 years) paddling. 3 years ago I remember just hardly believing I was spending nearly a grand on a secondhand Allwave, yet 2 years later could see the value in getting a secondhand Falcon for the best part of $2k. I actually think it is just something we get used to, especially around the top end, the price just "is what it is", and if you want it you pay.

I think the main problem with the proposed 30% increase is that the buyer doesn't get any extra benefit for the increase, just a victim of the economy. It would be a very different discussion if brand X produced a board that was 30% more expensive but was also 30% faster for the average Joe.

For me personally I am happy to seek out secondhand, but I acknowledge that paddling means different things to each person. If I had to simply put a number on what I think is "too much" for new, I believe anything beyond $3k for a race board and $2.5k for a Surf SUP is getting excessive.
Of course some of the pricing has been up in this range long before now.....

Movement Lab
NSW, 53 posts
19 Jun 2015 10:38PM
Thumbs Up

Good points here-on a slightly different spin I wonder if it will curb peoples desire to constantly upgrade. It's hard to watch the lure of new boards and the promises of going faster and turning harder when it's what we all want. I see so many clients put more effort into upgrading boards than their own training and skills-I wonder if maybe people will start to focus on themselves a bit more, rather than rely on the latest board as they become more and more expensive. I guess I've got some bias though!

snot
NSW, 157 posts
19 Jun 2015 11:56PM
Thumbs Up

30% price rise , what a joke, but i guess in a booming trendy new market people will wear it, anyway i buy what i like so i guess ill just suck it up and hide them better from the wife

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
20 Jun 2015 12:09AM
Thumbs Up

It's inevitable that the prices people start asking for year old boards is going to escalate as they will need the extra coin to afford the price hike on their new board.

bradsdubs
QLD, 161 posts
20 Jun 2015 12:48AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
PTWoody said..
It's inevitable that the prices people start asking for year old boards is going to escalate as they will need the extra coin to afford the price hike on their new board.

Fine, but the problem is they can ask and may not receive. There are so many boards on the 2nd hand market and most just sit there if they are overpriced which most are, because people are trying to offload boards they paid too much for in the first place. A 2nd hand board is only worth what someone wants to pay for it, and if a buyer thinks their board is worth more than the seller, and if there are other boards available with negotiable sellers, then that board will not sell.

Price elasticity issues in relation to the demand for SUPs have come into play long before the depreciation in the dollar, and I would estimate about 2 years ago when the oversupply started. The depreciating dollar [against $US] has now accentuated the changing nature of the SUP market in relation to people's price sensitivities.

For a total $2000 , I now own 3 top quality high performance carbon SUPs, all less than 2 years old. Best part was I able to buy and sell a few others along the way, to try out different styles with no losses being made, until I found what I was really wanting. Awesome. If I did that 3 years ago it would have cost me a fortune.

supthecreek
2585 posts
20 Jun 2015 4:02AM
Thumbs Up

As colas mentioned.... age.
I don't have time to wait a few years, for boards to come on the market used. I need them now. So new it is.

I don't like carbon stiffness, so I don't even LOOK at those prices. Wouldn't... couldn't.... pay them anyway.

I have found super great performance and quality by doing my research.

Fanatic Prowave in HRS = performance & quality ----- very affordable

Sunova XXX Tech = performance & quality----- very affordable

More & more local builders are producing quality, at a working mans price.

As long as some companies put out "the goods" at a reasonable price.... I can ignore the insanity at the high end.

that, and I don't race

laceys lane
QLD, 19803 posts
20 Jun 2015 9:12AM
Thumbs Up

$4500 for carbon race board, well its to much.

I believe they have gone beyond the cut off point for most..

Problem is you'll drop so much one foot out the shop door.

a top oc1 is $5500 and they certainly have a lot more going on then a foam core over sized surfboard.

Oc1's keep their value. Something sups dont

I guess its time for the locals to step up.

Maybe local shops should work with locals shapers. Create a model only the shop can sell or something of the like.

Its time for the australian industry to come together

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"How much is too much?" started by ActionSportsWA