www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=CNY&view=2Y

www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=AUD&to=THB&view=2Y

Lukasz
NSW, 9 posts
29 Jun 2015 10:04AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
I would like to know if there are breezers out there in retail (not SUP) and whether they are facing the exact same issues: imported products becoming more expensive, questions as to the number of links in the supply chain, customers learning from the retailer (selecting the right product) and trying to cut costs by buying on-line, etc.

(I am not a retailer, but it seems like a familiar story.)

And I would still like to hear from our US friends how much prices will increase in the US.

But with a 20% change in the exchange rate (plus a built-in buffer against further changes), I guess we should expect all imported products (based on the USD) to become more expensive.

CantSUPenoughYou are right in your assumptions.I am in the Electrical (Home Appliance & Audio Visual business) with a major Australian RetailerSo far in 2015, we have seen 3-4 Invoice Price Rises from electronic consumer goods coming from O/S

Usually, these prices are passed on directly to the consumer

djoblin
99 posts
29 Jun 2015 6:31PM
Thumbs Up

Im not aware of anyone that buys Surfboards or sups in THB or CNY, Everything is in USD. From a New Zealand perspective its not ideal having the exchange rate drop so much.

Over the last few years, most importers could absorb costs increases, or mitigate them as the NZD was stronger. This year as the Prices are raised at factory level and the NZD Tanks against the US, its not looking rosy at all.

In NZ a Carbon Race board has always been closer to 4k than 3k, this year they could be well above that, more like closer to 5K not ideal time to move to AUS

www.xe.com/currencycharts/?from=NZD&to=USD&view=2Y

JeanG
161 posts
29 Jun 2015 6:46PM
Thumbs Up

The currency used in the transaction is irrelevant. Other than the purchasers currency, only two items really matter:

1. The currency used by the seller to build the product.

2. The currency used by the seller to live his/her own life.

With surfboards, USD will only impact #2. And USD probably won't impact #2 very much. THB and CNY, being the places that most board manufacturers both reside in and produce their boards in, are the two most important currencies.

Antix
QLD, 31 posts
30 Jun 2015 12:05AM
Thumbs Up

The prices for the latest model (race) boards are ridiculous. $2,700 for a 14' Fanatic Falcon 2014 shape was reasonable but now.....it seems like the big brand cash cow is on the loose. I get it that there will always be kit whores that need the latest and greatest.

IMO unless you really intend to be performing with results in the top 10 I would rather wait an extra season for someone to upgrade and a buy 2nd hand board at a significantly reduced price.

Then again I also believe that there's more benefit and performance gain by upgrading the engine and smashing out a targeted training regime.....

But the topic was board cost and my reply "Jousting sticks? $200 tell me they're dreaming"

DiscoStupid
NSW, 90 posts
30 Jun 2015 8:48AM
Thumbs Up

$200 is a bargain for jousting sticks, Antix.... $250 is a fair price depending on condition.

Concur with your other thoughts.

The market will sort this all out. Fewer new boards will sell and the secondhand market will hold prices better.

PTWoody
VIC, 3982 posts
30 Jun 2015 10:25AM
Thumbs Up

So you're saying if I exercise and train real hard, I will make up for any gains in new equipment? Meh... can't I just have the liposuction?

djoblin
99 posts
30 Jun 2015 11:34AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
JeanG said..
The currency used in the transaction is irrelevant. Other than the purchasers currency, only two items really matter:

1. The currency used by the seller to build the product.

2. The currency used by the seller to live his/her own life.

With surfboards, USD will only impact #2. And USD probably won't impact #2 very much. THB and CNY, being the places that most board manufacturers both reside in and produce their boards in, are the two most important currencies.

Actually the currency used in the Transaction is the most important thing as its what sets the price in your country of purchase.

And POINT 1. building product, part of the cost will be in local currency but most will be in USD as that is what raw materials will be purchased in.

And POINT 2. The person selling you a Sup is in your country. The person selling to them, Your country as well.

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
30 Jun 2015 2:35PM
Thumbs Up

Every year manufacturers come up with a whole new range of must have boards. Maybe they need to cut costs by staying with some of their tried and tested models and that should see production costs staying lower instead of retooling and testing new boards every season.
I'm sure the gun riders will always want the best, so make a couple of models for them and slow down on changing the base boards every year. Most average surfers would not know the difference if their board shape was tweaked.
It's no use tempting us to buy the latest and greatest every year if the price keeps rising to an unsustainable level.
Most novice riders will still buy new boards as their skills increase so the market will always be there.
I personally have loved buying new boards but now the cost has really hit home. I would have loved to try the new Starboard Hyper Nut 8'6 but $3700 is crazy.
Sunova still making quality boards For $1995 so thats where I'm headed. Got a Sunova Speeed on order and can't wait.

stehar
NSW, 557 posts
30 Jun 2015 3:18PM
Thumbs Up

Got to agree RM, have a laird 10'6" 32"wide surfer and just traded a 9'1" Laguna bay in for a custom speed which will be in the August shipment -- will have an 10'6" and a 8'8" -- the laird for a long slow point break and the speed for local beach breaks. I took the centre fin out of the laird and surf it as a quad, it goes really well and does actually accelerate out onto the face and not sit in the sweet spot as some people have had this experience. Took the centre fin out initially to surf the inside section of the point at half tide ( nice little hollow waves ) but will rip out long fins sometimes. The result was more waves and a transformed board.

Steve

bazell
NSW, 120 posts
30 Jun 2015 4:30PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rockmagnet said..
Every year manufacturers come up with a whole new range of must have boards. Maybe they need to cut costs by staying with some of their tried and tested models and that should see production costs staying lower instead of retooling and testing new boards every season.
I'm sure the gun riders will always want the best, so make a couple of models for them and slow down on changing the base boards every year. Most average surfers would not know the difference if their board shape was tweaked.
It's no use tempting us to buy the latest and greatest every year if the price keeps rising to an unsustainable level.
Most novice riders will still buy new boards as their skills increase so the market will always be there.
I personally have loved buying new boards but now the cost has really hit home. I would have loved to try the new Starboard Hyper Nut 8'6 but $3700 is crazy.
Sunova still making quality boards For $1995 so thats where I'm headed. Got a Sunova Speeed on order and can't wait.

Perhaps they could look to new models every 2nd year. This could also help the retailers who would have 2 seasons to move "current models" instead of having to heavily discount each year to sell the old stock.

With you on the speeed stehar. I have had 4 sessions on mine and having sooo much fun. Unless a disaster happens, I will be keeping this board for a long time adding further to its value for money.

bazell
NSW, 120 posts
30 Jun 2015 4:35PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ That should read rock magnet

KP.
NSW, 106 posts
30 Jun 2015 6:10PM
Thumbs Up

Someone has to pay for the big boys contracts...

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
1 Jul 2015 10:53AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Qbay said..

Think i've paid my fair share. One more board and my wife will leave me.

ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
1 Jul 2015 2:34PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rockmagnet said..

Qbay said..

Think i've paid my fair share. One more board and my wife will leave me.

in that scenario, I would buy 2!!

ActionSportsWA
WA, 953 posts
1 Jul 2015 2:57PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
TalkToMe said..
I've just re-read the entire four pages and picked out a few lines that stood out:

"(Prices are high) Like in sailboarding, (due to) the sponsored riders with their hands out, and everyone else trying to make some $ out of a passion, force up the final selling price."

"Cheap , cheap , cheap the majority will always go the cheapest. the smart ones go for middle of the road the one percenters go for the top"

"SUP may be heading the same way as sailboarding. Bought my first wave riding board and rig for $1200 within a few years everything went high tech and just a hull was $2000 then the rig was extra on top of that. During the late eighties there would be 60 sailboarders at Cronulla or Gerroa on a good day. Now just a handful. Hope SUP doesn't go that way because of pricing."

"So what happened here (South Africa) was that everyone became an importer - we must have at leat 30-40 brands in a tiny market with most selling less than 20-40 boards a year. It's clearly not enough to make a living but it is giving the customers options outside of the bigger established brands.

"The only way to really cut costs is to reduce the links in the distribution chain - IMO this is a very dangerous route as it means local retailers will fall by the wayside and customers will be forced to shop online and straight out of garages or smaller warehouses.

So it looks like the standard distribution model of manufacturer/brand/importer/retailer isn't ideal as this sets the prices generally too high.

Knowing that a few, or even a lot individuals in some markets, have started their own brand and have started selling straight from the importer level and in turn removing the retailer and their $400-$800 markup and more with some models. Customers are in turn willing to buy a brand with no community/history/brand value. So with that, is the big brand distribution model really working for all? There are so many brands out there that every Tom, Dick and Harry thinks they can sell SUPs.

Furthermore, it seems that most people don't want to pay over 2K for anything or even $1200 - $1500 for an Al Rounder. Would you agree?

All said and done, it seems it is hard to make a buck in the SUP market. And that is in a so-called rising trend. That is a little concerning.

Any thoughts?

Hey TTM,

I agree with your thoughts. I think that SUP is going to see a fairly large implosion. I think you can predict the path of SUP by comparing it to windsurfing, and snowboarding, Penny skateboards and Razor Scooters, only difference is that SUP is going to boom and cool in less than half of the time.

We are going to see dozens of people lose a small fortune as they jumped on the gravy train and bought themselves a container of cheap Chinese SUP's and have now realized that the road "paved with gold" was really just yellow paint.

SUP will always be around, but I think it will make a really interesting doco in time showing a spectacular rise to prominence and an equally rapid cooling.

I think there is a major reset coming as all the part timers and cheapies get out and lick their financial wounds. The local shapers will prosper and so long as they stay with custom shapes and locally made to order boards, they will be fine. The big boys mass producing? .... hmmmm, not sure, but the market can't handle the ever increasing prices, the plateauing numbers of paddlers and the oversupply of both brands and models. Perhaps the big boys have enough to offer in the lower end of their ranges to keep the masses happy. This may require a re-education for the mass buying public and a dramatic improvement in the quality and build in the lower end boards. The stuff I have seen at the dealer meetings has been promising.

Don't mean to be pessimistic just calling it as I see it.

DM

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
1 Jul 2015 6:15PM
Thumbs Up

Interesting thoughts.

For me, living close to the water, SUPing lets me continue my love of surfing, so I think that many of the one-time surfers will keep surf SUPing. Surfing has maintained popularity and so will surf-SUPing IMO.

But I can imagine the flat-water-paddlers, the let's-get-fitters, the let's-try-surfer's, will end up putting their SUP in the shed next to their old wind surfer, canoe, and paddle-ski-thing - especially if you have to travel any distance in order to get wet. The novelty probably will wear off.

But for right now, I'll give you my SUP when you pry it from my cold, (wet), dead hands

rghdc
53 posts
13 Jul 2015 9:17PM
Thumbs Up

Personally it does affect me...just solodifies my decision to build my own...I don't make a six figure income to afford these prices. I can build exactly what I want, with the materials I want. Just bought 17 yds of 50 wide 5.9 oz carbon for $332.00 (US) that's enough for single ply bottom, double ply deck and a 2 yard long deck patch on my new 14 x 26" board. That's about $618 for foam/carbon/RR epoxy...$70 for traction/ $50 for sup handle, leash plugg, fin box. $25 for tape and sandpaper. I did it to be able to surf, wind surf, wave ski, and kayak...now SUP. designing and building your craft makes everything about experiencing the water more intimate. Everyone has their own approach...designing/ building my own works for me..and the more expensive the boards get the more building one (and investing in developing the skills necessary to build a quality board) yourself makes sense. It's not for everyone.., build if you can build, buy if you can buy...it's all good ...maximize whatever you have to work with.

Comrad
SA, 70 posts
14 Jul 2015 4:56AM
Thumbs Up

Sage advice

micksmith
VIC, 1674 posts
14 Jul 2015 7:52AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cantSUPenough said..
Interesting thoughts.
For me, living close to the water, SUPing lets me continue my love of surfing, so I think that many of the one-time surfers will keep surf SUPing. Surfing has maintained popularity and so will surf-SUPing IMO.
But I can imagine the flat-water-paddlers, the let's-get-fitters, the let's-try-surfer's, will end up putting their SUP in the shed next to their old wind surfer, canoe, and paddle-ski-thing - especially if you have to travel any distance in order to get wet. The novelty probably will wear off.
But for right now, I'll give you my SUP when you pry it from my cold, (wet), dead hands

Not sure why you would say this when you know yourself the addiction that sup is.
How long is novelty? I've been sup surfing for about 6 years (or is it 7) and I'm probably the furthest distance from the ocean anyone wouldn't want to be.
This doesn't make me any less passionate or committed, I've even been known to dabble in comps. As for flat water paddlers, what? you can do that in any river, lake or dam so why are you even mentioning that.

John4F
116 posts
14 Jul 2015 9:38PM
Thumbs Up

iSUP will rule for most SUPpers: river, flat water, fitness, even race - and wave for the travelers

cantSUPenough
VIC, 2122 posts
15 Jul 2015 4:05AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
micksmith said..

cantSUPenough said..
Interesting thoughts.

Not sure why you would say this when you know yourself the addiction that sup is.
How long is novelty? I've been sup surfing for about 6 years (or is it 7) and I'm probably the furthest distance from the ocean anyone wouldn't want to be.
This doesn't make me any less passionate or committed, I've even been known to dabble in comps. As for flat water paddlers, what? you can do that in any river, lake or dam so why are you even mentioning that.

As you say, I love SUP. I am hooked. And clearly you are too. As are others who bother to participate in forums.

People have stuck with all sorts of sports; canoes, windsurfing, etc., but many sports have gone through crazes and the question is whether the interest will wane for those who are not truly hooked.

I point to SUP surfing as being a little different because it is a continuation of surfing for those surfers who were struggling due to age/health. That is certainly my case. But surfing has been popular for many years and - from where I sit - does not show any signs of waning.

My assumption is that SUPing on flat water may not be replacing a sport that people were forced to give up for the same reasons (age/health), so perhaps it will see a faster decline.

I also personally feel that a sport like SUP surfing provides a lot of variety, whereas - from my own experience - flat water river paddling does not. I once lived a long way from the surf and used to paddle a canoe on flat water. I loved it - for a while. But I stopped because I did not want to paddle the same water again and again.

Anyway, it is irrelevant what I think or what my experience was - it will all depend on all the people buying SUPs that were not previously in love with the water.

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle General

"How much is too much?" started by ActionSportsWA