Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

Naish10' nalu le

Created by waxer00 > 9 months ago, 2 Jan 2016
waxer00
37 posts
2 Jan 2016 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Does the 2016 model have a pintail (as pic in brochure ) or a bat tail like last years ?
I ordered one and it looked nothing like the board in the 2016 brochure when it arrived , so I didn't take it .the uk dealer says that the new one has a bat tail and the brochure is wrong .is this the case in 'stralia too ?

PeterP
816 posts
3 Jan 2016 1:14AM
Thumbs Up

We got the bat tail version here in SA - and it came with the 2016 shipment - not sure if there is a pintail version as per website. The 10'0 LE Nalu bat-tail is awesome, only got a few in and reluctantly had to sell my last one....It brought back all the fun of SUP'ing from the early days - stable, easy paddling, catching anything and still being able to carve up big solid turns - one of the most fun SUP's out there....if your dealer only has the bat tail - don't hesitate, take it!

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
3 Jan 2016 8:31AM
Thumbs Up

Bat tails here also..

See Warwick falling off his at the 1.05 mark in this vid.. and paddle twerling at 3.05..

Slab
1061 posts
3 Jan 2016 5:59AM
Thumbs Up

That would REALLY annoy me if a bat tail turned up when expecting a pin.

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
3 Jan 2016 9:14AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said..
That would REALLY annoy me if a bat tail turned up when expecting a pin.

IMO it's just a look thing.. I've said it before and got myself in trouble but that last inch of board (about 4" across) could be bat, diamond, swallow, or squash and you'd never know without looking at it.. I actually think the small bat tail looks cool.. But Naish really should fix their website..

Tardy
4919 posts
3 Jan 2016 7:53AM
Thumbs Up

I have sticky taped the new 2016 Naish brochure up on my wall ..the only bat tail or swallow tail is in the Hokua GTW series .???
IsThe BAT back ...

so it's not just the website ..

waxer00
37 posts
3 Jan 2016 4:05PM
Thumbs Up

It's the whole template which differs along with the tail !!

Slab
1061 posts
3 Jan 2016 9:12PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
waxer00 said..

Exactly, pintails give you more bite. But it is the flipping nonsense that Manufacturers don't sort out websites.....pay big cash for one thing and get something else!

waxer00
37 posts
4 Jan 2016 5:55PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Slab said...
waxer00 said..

Exactly, pintails give you more bite. But it is the flipping nonsense that Manufacturers don't sort out websites.....pay big cash for one thing and get something else!

Yes , I ordered it on the information stated in the brochure . Yes it's a lot of money !!
I think they should change it to a pintail it would be an awesome board .

KennyK
QLD, 395 posts
5 Jan 2016 7:09PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
waxer00 said..

Slab said...

waxer00 said..

Yes , I ordered it on the information stated in the brochure . Yes it's a lot of money !!

What are you talking about Dude? It's an awesome board as is, I have one and it is by faaaaaaarrr the best SUP I have ridden, and I have ridden heaps.
Especially if it's a performance longboard style SUP you are wanting.

SUPbru
386 posts
6 Jan 2016 8:20AM
Thumbs Up

x 3 what KennyK & PeterP said - this is an unbelievable board & I wouldn't trade it for anything so give it a whirl & you won't be disappointed! That being said, I agree that you should get exactly what you paid for because it's an expensive board so hopefully Naish will update their marketing material

DavidJohn
VIC, 17408 posts
6 Jan 2016 1:22PM
Thumbs Up

I agree.. There's sooooo much more to a board than the shape of those few inches across the tail.. It's like turning down a board that has a better handle than the one in the picture.. I've heard this board is amaaaaaazing..

rodriguez
VIC, 883 posts
6 Jan 2016 8:29PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
waxer00 said..

Slab said...

waxer00 said..

It is really important that you actually like the look of your chosen sup and that includes a particular nose or tail shape, Its just imperative to demo where possible, sup litres and dimensions should only be used as a guide in your decision to buy any surf craft.
The disrtibution of your dimensions,ie;thickest part of the sup,how far out to the rails that thickness runs ,type of rail,wide point position in correlation to the plan shape, plus bottom shape contours , rocker line,etc etc.
Waxer ,I dont think its acceptable that your sup does not look the same as the current brochure , I think you should be able to come to some arrangement with any fair minded person over this mix up.
Good luck.

Zeusman
QLD, 1363 posts
6 Jan 2016 7:52PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
rodriguez said..

waxer00 said..

Slab said...

waxer00 said..

It is really important that you actually like the look of your chosen sup and that includes a particular nose or tail shape, Its just imperative to demo where possible, sup litres and dimensions should only be used as a guide in your decision to buy any surf craft.
The disrtibution of your dimensions,ie;thickest part of the sup,how far out to the rails that thickness runs ,type of rail,wide point position in correlation to the plan shape, plus bottom shape contours , rocker line,etc etc.
Waxer ,I dont think its acceptable that your sup does not look the same as the current brochure , I think you should be able to come to some arrangement with any fair minded person over this mix up.
Good luck.

Agreed

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
6 Jan 2016 9:42PM
Thumbs Up

I agree with most of the comments above, it should look like the advertised product.
I have seen the board in a local shop and I agree IMO the bat tail doesnt suit the shape and style of the board,
Having said that, I have read some shaping forums where they mention the tail shape is just an aesthetic way to finish the board.
The tail shape, bat, pin, swallow or what ever has minimal affect on performance.
I can't gather by your post whether you have paid for the board or not.

Area10
1508 posts
7 Jan 2016 11:43AM
Thumbs Up

I haven't seen this board and the video on this page won't work for me. But presumably if the rest of the board was exactly the same but it had a pintail, then the board would be over 10ft long. Is there a reason why Naish would be very keen for the board to be 10ft long rather than a few inches longer? For instance, longboard SUP comps? I'm wondering if there is a 10ft and over category they think that people who want this kind of high performance longboard will want one that is the minimum length allowable? Would it put you off if the board was advertised as eg. 10-4 rather than 10-0?

waxer00
37 posts
9 Jan 2016 1:41PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks for the replies .
The board that arrived had a narrower nose , and the whole of the template differed along with the tail shape .
The foil and thickness were spot on and it was lovely and light ,
I preferred the template in the brochure , I specifically wanted a rounded pin with a longboard nose .
I prefer rounded pins on longer boards , I find them more forgiving and suit my style of riding .the template looked to straight from the mid point down to the tail for my tastes.
I've ridden boards in the past with similar back ends and didn't like them at all .
Straighter templates work on short boards not longboards.
I think this is why they narrowed the nose on the this template, to counter the straighter tail .
But it's not for me .
I didn't take it .ive ordered something else .

waxer00
37 posts
9 Jan 2016 1:49PM
Thumbs Up

There is talk of a 10' and over category in oz I thInk ?
Longboard type supping is a viable platform , it might attract young and old into the frey.

KennyK
QLD, 395 posts
13 Jan 2016 8:04PM
Thumbs Up

Yep, I prefer rounded pins too, at least until I bought the LE Nalu!
This is my eighth SUP, I still surf a Mal as well. But all the stars aligned and something magic happened when this board was shaped, because it just works!
When I first saw it I thought it had too much nose lift and a bit narrow in the nose to nose ride any good, but it is the best I have tried. And I have ridden plenty.
I thought it was to much of a long short-boardy shape for me until I surfed it, and was absolutely amazed! I hope they never change it because I truly don't think it can be improved on. I can surf this aggressively like a shortboard when I wish or casually like a log when it suits me, or like a 9' performance longboard, which is what it is mostly like. I have surfed it with every fin combo I can think of and it works almost as good, just a smidge different regardless. Even using my JC sides in the two rear slots as a split single. I mostly surf it as a quad though. Can't speak highly enough of it. Also it doesn't need rail tape, because whatever the finish is it won't chip or mark.
Whatever board you get, I hope you dig it. If not, you can always trade it on a Nalu LE.

SUPbru
386 posts
14 Jan 2016 2:22AM
Thumbs Up

KennyK - do you mind me asking what quad fins you've settled on? I'm currently running Sonova 94 fronts & 74 backs which seems to work well but I'm open to ideas? Cheers

KennyK
QLD, 395 posts
14 Jan 2016 6:18PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
SUPbru said..
KennyK - do you mind me asking what quad fins you've settled on? I'm currently running Sonova 94 fronts & 74 backs which seems to work well but I'm open to ideas? Cheers

Select to expand quote
SUPbru said..

I'm using the fronts out of my Shapers Jackson Close thruster set and the rears are FCS GX-Q's.
Suits my 81 Kg really well.

SUPbru
386 posts
15 Jan 2016 2:41AM
Thumbs Up

Thanks mate

Flying High
NSW, 217 posts
17 Jan 2016 4:15PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
KennyK said..
Yep, I prefer rounded pins too, at least until I bought the LE Nalu!
This is my eighth SUP, I still surf a Mal as well. But all the stars aligned and something magic happened when this board was shaped, because it just works!
When I first saw it I thought it had too much nose lift and a bit narrow in the nose to nose ride any good, but it is the best I have tried. And I have ridden plenty.
I thought it was to much of a long short-boardy shape for me until I surfed it, and was absolutely amazed! I hope they never change it because I truly don't think it can be improved on. I can surf this aggressively like a shortboard when I wish or casually like a log when it suits me, or like a 9' performance longboard, which is what it is mostly like. I have surfed it with every fin combo I can think of and it works almost as good, just a smidge different regardless. Even using my JC sides in the two rear slots as a split single. I mostly surf it as a quad though. Can't speak highly enough of it. Also it doesn't need rail tape, because whatever the finish is it won't chip or mark.
Whatever board you get, I hope you dig it. If not, you can always trade it on a Nalu LE.

Hi KennyK
How does this board compare to other similar/long boards you have ridden and could you give some examoles of the boards you have ridden.
I have a Naish Nalu 10'6" (my first sup)
I am looking at getting something with a little more performance around the 10'/130 lt like the LE, Fanatic Stylemaster, Sunover Style etc
The intent is to have a performance long board for the surf, that I can still paddle on flat water with my wife who paddles the 10'6 Nalu.
(I will try and demo but just reducing my options)
Thanks

webbo100
NSW, 63 posts
17 Jan 2016 10:32PM
Thumbs Up

Hy i have had the Le for three months now, and would have to say its the best performance mal style sup i have ridden.
i have had a Laird 9.6, ridden the new Fanatic Stylemaster, Sunova style 10/0, and by far the Naish Nalu LE 10 footer is the bees knees IMO !11
I surf it with Piros fins as a Quad setup.
Cheers Mark.

waxer00
37 posts
18 Jan 2016 5:46PM
Thumbs Up

Yes it looked and felt like it would be a good board ........but!
I bet it would be awesome with a rounded pin like in the brochure .
Imagine going down the custom route a ordering a low volume rounded pin progressive type longboard sup from your local shaper ( by the way , I wish 'deep' were just down my road ;I'd already be riding one of their shapes)and u go in to collect to find a Batail on the end of it ,(and because of this ) fairly straight railed and all from mid point back ;what would you do or say to the shaper , and what would the shaper say to you ?would you take it ?
Bearing in mind a price tag to make your wallet melt too.
I'm glad for the guys who ride them and love them, good on them .
My original question was , if the 2016 had a pintail . The board that arrived had a 2015 serial number On it too , which maybe I should have mentioned .
Maybe I'm being a bit fussy , but I invisage a time couple of months down the line after having some good times riding it when u have your first bad session and blaming the board not me !
Yes this could happen with the pintail too ,but it's what I ordered and not something different that turned up . I made the decision not someone else !
Maybe it's time for a custom!

Subscribe

Forums > Stand Up Paddle   Board Talk & Reviews

"Naish10' nalu le" started by waxer00