Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

Bali Branding

Created by bazell > 9 months ago, 9 Jan 2016
bazell
NSW, 120 posts
9 Jan 2016 10:04PM
Thumbs Up

This poor guy went to Bali with a few mates. They decided to get a tattoo but this guy opted for a "temporary" one.
He was told to come back before he left and they would freshen it up

He ended up with 3rd degree burns and will have permanent scars.

Has anyone else encounter this?

harry potter
VIC, 2777 posts
9 Jan 2016 10:45PM
Thumbs Up

Looks hot

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
9 Jan 2016 11:23PM
Thumbs Up

Why would anybody get tatts in the first place?? No matter where or who does them there is always the risk of infection.

Oh, sorry. Tatts are trendy and politically correct these days aren't they??

Rex
WA, 949 posts
9 Jan 2016 10:02PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
bazell said..

Skin damage from temporary tatts in Bali has been in and out of the news for a least 10 years if not longer.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
9 Jan 2016 10:26PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Rex said..

bazell said..

Skin damage from temporary tatts in Bali has been in and out of the news for a least 10 years if not longer.

Yup, Henna tattoos are known to cause these types of burns/injuries.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
9 Jan 2016 11:39PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
cisco said..

Why would anybody get tatts in the first place?? No matter where or who does them there is always the risk of infection.

Roger

And going to a third world country cos it is cheap, then getting tatts, sunnies, drinks (full of methanol , BJ's etc reallly cheap
and complain about the result
WTF?
I fail to see the attraction in going to Bali, I really do.

ok
NSW, 1087 posts
10 Jan 2016 8:53AM
Thumbs Up

Maybe because you are very narrow minded. Maybe if you focus on the good parts on Bali such as the lovely people, numerous amounts of waves and scenic areas you will have a better time. But hey if you want to hate on such a small part of one island thats great and it means one less ignorant Australian visiting the place!

Unhook3d
WA, 467 posts
10 Jan 2016 8:16AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said...
cisco said..

Roger

And going to a third world country cos it is cheap, then getting tatts, sunnies, drinks (full of methanol , BJ's etc reallly cheap
WTF?

I'm with you mark, I've been once and it was a nice holiday. However I have probably been on at least 30 other holidays to locations I would rather be than Bali.
I don't hate the place, I just don't quite understand why Australians love to visit there on a regular basis?

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
10 Jan 2016 8:22AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

cisco said..

Roger

WTF?

Bali is great, it's just the drunk Aussie bogans that ruin it.

bazell
NSW, 120 posts
10 Jan 2016 11:36AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

cisco said..

Roger

WTF?

I'll tell you what the WTF!!! This guy was just having some innocent fun thinking it was just a temporary thing not involving needles or anything that was any risk

He has endured severe pain and has permanent scaring.

Obviously he had not heard of this type of thing happening ,nor have I.

He has every right to be be angry and complain.

Vince68
WA, 675 posts
10 Jan 2016 8:42AM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
ok said..
Maybe because you are very narrow minded. Maybe if you focus on the good parts on Bali such as the lovely people, numerous amounts of waves and scenic areas you will have a better time. But hey if you want to hate on such a small part of one island thats great and it means one less ignorant Australian visiting the place!

Nobody said they hate the place and why start accusing people of being ignorant because they don't see the attraction. Perhaps they have been to better places that are on par or better value.

The ignorant Australian visiting would be the poor dude who got the temp tattoo (no offence to you mate, hope your wounds mend). As has been said, tattoos in a third world country!!!!

Yes Bali does have nice places if you can get out of the tourist spots, but i'd not go back.....there are other places that need my visit

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
10 Jan 2016 9:28AM
Thumbs Up

^^ exactly. I didn't say I hate the place - I said if you get cheap stuff in places like that, bad stuff happens.
Bazell the henna thing was all over the news a couple of times in the last few years with girls all scarred up, so granted it would not be common occurrence but I did think it was common knowledge.

lotofwind
NSW, 6450 posts
10 Jan 2016 12:43PM
Thumbs Up

Yes, Bali sucks, I cant see why so many surfers like it.

I think you have been sucked into the media beat up Markie. They have you believing if you have a beer any where in Bali you WILL get poisoned lol.
If you search info on any country you will find some sort of horror story. You cant live life scared to experience new cultures and places based on what social media has told you.

Kinda like if you read stuff on Perth, that if you leave your car parked near the beach it WILL get broken into, you WILL get eaten by a shark if you swim there and the place is full of drunken redneck desert dwellers living in the 70's and there is no surf...........oh wait.

You cant judge a whole country by one tiny part of its tourist strip.
Its like coming to Australia and only seeing Surfers Paradise or The Captain Bumberrys Hotel on a friday night. lol

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
10 Jan 2016 1:02PM
Thumbs Up

Show me a case of an australian licensed pub / nightclub etc selling alcoholic beverages full of methanol and then I will believe you?

My point is the cheap stuff in Bali is buyer beware innit. It is not just isolated cases, and it is not like australia so you get what you get when you go there

Rex
WA, 949 posts
10 Jan 2016 2:01PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Good waves, good times, nice place, great weather and better value than probably anywhere else in that radius from Perth.

Select to expand quote
bazell said..

He has every right to be be angry and complain.

Unfortunately there is not much more your mate can do other than be angry and complain. It seams every holiday period there are mothers complaining about how their kids have reacted to temporary tattoos while in Bali, I feel its well advertised, yet people continue to get them then cry foul.

dmitri
VIC, 1040 posts
10 Jan 2016 5:13PM
Thumbs Up

saw a couple of young absolutely pale aussie blokes in the Departure terminal of Denpasar Airport once.
Fresh tatts and no any signs of suntan at all.
I reckon they were vampires on holidays. Stayed in the shadows all days and crawled out their holes in the night time.

youngbull
QLD, 825 posts
10 Jan 2016 5:33PM
Thumbs Up

I would not buy a car without research why the fxxk would you get body mods without a quick google search.

TBH I ROFLOL at 's like this......

Tell your mate to suck it up princess.

Don't care how its sounds but I really hope the removal process is more painful when he grows a brain.

lotofwind
NSW, 6450 posts
10 Jan 2016 8:12PM
Thumbs Up

^^^^^^ removal process ???? Did you read it was just a simple temporary tatt not a real one ?

I think its a bit lame that bazell has posted this to warn others that dont know about them, like he and his mates didnt, and he gets slammed with all the
comments of "WTF, what an idiot" ,

If he had gotten a real tatt over there I'd agree he had taken a risk, but he had a temporary tatt done(not a body mod) that he thought was just painted on, a bit of fun whilst on holidays and obviously didnt watch the news on the nights there were warnings. I know I havent seen anything on the news over here in nsw?? but probly big news in WA as that is the majority of the drunken aussie yobbos I have seen in Bali .

Good on ya for posting bazell, dont listen to the old know it all forum hero's knocking you down so they seem smart lol, you might have saved a few others the same pain. Good karma to you.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
10 Jan 2016 5:43PM
Thumbs Up

^^ OK seeing as though this is now a website offering public service announcement
be wary of
fake tatts
real tatts
cheap costmetic procedures
taking in drugs
taking out drugs
riding scooters p!ssed
drinking the water
all all the other 'state the bleedin obvious' stuff

Or should travellers just read first? it is in here https://smartraveller.gov.au/countries/indonesia. Took me 4 sec to google "dept foreign affairs bali safety warnings" and then 1.5sec of scrolling to see the henna tatoos warning.............
and as you point out all the time Loto, I am not even GenY.

Chris6791
WA, 3271 posts
10 Jan 2016 6:01PM
Thumbs Up

^^^ Loading the page with your dial-up connection probably took the most time

lotofwind
NSW, 6450 posts
10 Jan 2016 9:03PM
Thumbs Up

yes we know you are a really really smart grandpa that can use google markie and spends lots of your time doing the social media thing, and everyone else is stupid for not knowing. Its lucky we have you to tell us lol.

Can you think back 50 years when you were younger, care free and enjoying life, this guy was probly just walking down the street in bali and saw the fake tattoo shop and thought "hey, that might be fun to have one painted on for a few days" , not knowing. He made a mistake, his mate has posted a pic to warn others and you bag them out with "WTF" comments ??? Really helpful
Once again bazell, good on ya for posting and dont listen to the negative crew. Hope your mate heals up ok.

adolf
1862 posts
10 Jan 2016 6:04PM
Thumbs Up

Thanks bazell,

I didn't know about it until you posted. I googled it, there are some horrible side effects. I hope your mate's arm heals.

By the sounds of it some people get an allergic reaction to the black henna which has got a nasty chemical in it. Ordinary henna should be fine.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
10 Jan 2016 7:48PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
lotofwind said..
yes we know you are a really really smart grandpa that can use google markie and spends lots of your time doing the social media thing, and everyone else is stupid for not knowing. Its lucky we have you to tell us lol.

Can you think back 50 years when you were younger, care free and enjoying life, this guy was probly just walking down the street in bali and saw the fake tattoo shop and thought "hey, that might be fun to have one painted on for a few days" , not knowing. He made a mistake, his mate has posted a pic to warn others and you bag them out with "WTF" comments ??? Really helpful
Once again bazell, good on ya for posting and dont listen to the negative crew. Hope your mate heals up ok.

he did ask "has anyone else encountered this?" so offering a reply in the affirmative (like others did) is hardly a big deal is it...????
BTW googling a country you are going to visit is not really rocket science

as far as being a smartarse knowitall try 90% of the kite forum.

Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
10 Jan 2016 11:06PM
Thumbs Up

This info from "The Henna Page". www.hennapage.com/henna/warnings.html

Worth warning any friends going to Bali.

"Henna is NOT black. If someone offers you something called "Black Henna", it is NOT henna. If someone has something that stains skin black, it is NOT henna. The black dye is probably para-phenylenediamine, also known as PPD, and that can hurt you. PPD, or para-phenylenediamine is a snythetic coal tar dye, and causes severe reactions in some people. Want to see pictures of how miserable this is?

www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/ppdburngallery.html

Sensitization to PPD is life-long and has ruined some people's health.

www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/wilson.html

The International Chemical Safety Card for PPD gives a clear indication of how dangerous it can be and how utterly inappropriate it is for skin application. If your "Black Henna" tattoo is starting to itch and blister GO TO A DOCTOR! NOW!

www.hennapage.com/henna/ppd/gotodoctor.html"

cisco
QLD, 12311 posts
10 Jan 2016 10:15PM
Thumbs Up

I went to Bali in 1974. I have had no reason or desire to go back there since. From what I am hearing it was a lot better place then than what it is now.

saltin
VIC, 44 posts
10 Jan 2016 11:44PM
Thumbs Up

So much suffering just for a bit of temporary fun! I never heard about it before as well but now I will never forget.

waveslave
WA, 4263 posts
10 Jan 2016 9:08PM
Thumbs Up

Select to expand quote
Mark _australia said..

Because Oz is such an over-regulated nanny nation with all its stupid rules and nonsense guidelines ...

When you do venture to a land like Indo,

it feels like you've been let off the leash for just a moment.

Maybe it's not too clever, but riding a scooter dressed in boardies only sans helmet,

weaving your path thru shambolic Bali traffic while exercising all your survival skills dodging death ...

It can make you feel alive again.

Mark _australia
WA, 22089 posts
10 Jan 2016 9:44PM
Thumbs Up

^^ or dead

:)

Harrow
NSW, 4520 posts
11 Jan 2016 8:33AM
Thumbs Up

I just rode my bicycle up and down my driveway without my helmet. Saved myself an airfare and a weeks accommodation.

Ian K
WA, 4039 posts
11 Jan 2016 6:26AM
Thumbs Up

Never been to Bali, we were warned way back in 1984.

rockmagnet
QLD, 1458 posts
11 Jan 2016 8:58AM
Thumbs Up

I think it must be the very serious drugs that alter the mind to make you think this will look good with my imitation muscles.

Subscribe

Forums > General Discussion   Shooting the breeze...

"Bali Branding" started by bazell